Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Testers Needed for Mac OS X. (2.0.16 and 3.3.0)
Page 2 of 6
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
SKWERLL
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 77
IP: Logged
icon Re: Testers Needed for Mac OS X. (0)  
Could somebody post the installation instructions again? I had them before, but it said that you have to make a folder with a period before it (which, to my knowledge, isn't possible—if you rename it in the GUI interface, it says that you can't do that, and if you use the terminal, the folder just disappears.).

The best hold in the world!
07-27-2005 at 04:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jamie
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 365
if you make it in the shell ("terminal") it will not appear if you use "ls", as files/folders starting with a "." are 'hidden files"

You'll need to do ls -a (from the terminal) or find some "show hidden files" setting in the GUI

The folder is there - it's just 'hidden'

07-27-2005 at 04:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
wmarkham
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 125
Hi folks!

First off, I'm very sorry for temporarily abandoning you all. I can't exactly promise not to do that sort of thing again, but for whatever it's worth, I feel bad about it. :?

The released beta no longer works. I will try to make a new one available within the next few days.

The fact that the ".caravel" directory is hard to create manually should not be a problem per se, since the latest versions of the beta will create it automatically. However, I will probably want the testers to discard their old directories when they install the newer beta. Plus, users will want to know that it is there, for administrative reasons. (backing it up) I know that there is a ~/Library directory that might make more sense to classic Mac users as a place where application-specific settings are stored. Is it worthwhile for me to change the Mac port to use that location? This has the downside of differing more from the Linux port.

Weston
07-28-2005 at 07:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
SKWERLL
Cool. Maybe I can actually play it this time. That would be cool… DROD on a mac.

Didn't somebody try to port JtRH to Mac OS?

08-03-2005 at 09:07 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
Yeah, I remember that there were at least two people who were committed to making a port of either AE or JtRH, but they eventually pulled out in the end. So, in many ways, it had seemed that a Mac OS port of DROD was the kind of thing dreams were made of. Let's hope that doesn't happen again.

08-03-2005 at 09:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
SKWERLL
Wait… this one IS JtRH. Then, where's the one for AE? Unless it's closed…

Anyway, I have now downloaded JtRH for Mac.

08-04-2005 at 03:00 AM
patmo98
Rank Points: 39
icon Re: Testers Needed for Mac OS X. (+1)  
SKWERLL wrote:
Then, where's the one for AE? Unless it's closed…

I think DROD:AE for OS X died. You can find it at http://www.drod.net/forum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=5367 , but to use it you need to be able to compile sevral librarys. I think it also has sevral bugs in it that were fixed in JtRH for Mac OS X. Right now the beta, for JtRH, is only for people with a Caravel.net subscription.
08-04-2005 at 03:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
patmo98 wrote:
Right now the beta, for JtRH, is only for people with a Caravel.net subscription.
I don't believe that's true - AFAIK, it's available to anyone.

08-04-2005 at 03:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
wmarkham
patmo98 wrote:
I think DROD:AE for OS X died.
Well, died is a rather strong word. I am not actively maintaining it, but if there is interest, I can make additional patches for it, to fix bugs. JtRH is a priority for me right now, though.
You can find it at http://www.drod.net/forum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=5367 , but to use it you need to be able to compile sevral librarys. I think it also has sevral bugs in it that were fixed in JtRH for Mac OS X.
I did have a precompiled binary available at one point, but I took it down to save disk space for the account that was hosting it. Again, if there is interest, I can make it available.
Right now the beta, for JtRH, is only for people with a Caravel.net subscription.
As Schik says, the JtRH beta for OS X is available to everyone. You are encouraged to download and play it, with the caveat that because it is a "beta", there may still be a few more bugs in it than Caravel would want to have in a finished product.

Also, I would like to add that the current beta contains the Demo version of the JtRH hold.

Weston

08-04-2005 at 04:17 PM
SKWERLL
Of course, you still need to pay for it if you want all 25 levels.

Or, at least those levels are blocked for ME.

The other two room styles don't work (the one that doesn't have purple walls). Is that a bug, or is it for registered users only?

08-05-2005 at 05:00 AM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
It is the demo version, as he has said a few times...and it even says specifically on the downloads page. So you only get the first 3 levels and the Foundation style, just like every other demo version.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
08-05-2005 at 05:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
wmarkham
The downloads page might not have mentioned that this was a demo version of the game when the previous version was up. Anyway, yes, that is what I mean when I say "demo version". (I am not entirely familiar with the particular differences between the demo version and the full version, so that was the easiest way to accurately state what is included.)

Weston
08-05-2005 at 03:39 PM
Dreggs
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 12
Runs great on my iBook w/ 10.3.9.

I've only played the first level and a half of the demo so far, but the only issue I noticed was in the editor. If it uses the right mouse button for erasing that should map to ctrl-click, it is currently using command-click. Are there specific bugs you're tracking? I've got a set of 10.2 - 10.4 machines at the grind I'd be happy to look at things on.

Great looking game, btw. I'll pick up the full version as soon as I burn out on We Love Katamari.
09-23-2005 at 06:37 AM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
Dreggs, welcome to the forum! We should have another build out pretty soon, and your testing help would be really welcome. I am so wanting to release this baby, that it's even a little bit sick.

-Erik

09-23-2005 at 07:43 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
wmarkham
Dreggs wrote:
Runs great on my iBook w/ 10.3.9.
I'm pleased to hear it!
I've only played the first level and a half of the demo so far, but the only issue I noticed was in the editor. If it uses the right mouse button for erasing that should map to ctrl-click, it is currently using command-click.
Hmm. I pretty sure that I just used whatever mapping the underlying library (SDL) gave by default. I am mildly surprised that it is not simply working as expected. Is it ever the case that a right click corresponds to option, or some other modifier?

If you like, you can report this over on the bugs board. If you prefix the subject line with "OSX:", then it will be easy to tell that it relates to the OS X port.

Are there specific bugs you're tracking? I've got a set of 10.2 - 10.4 machines at the grind I'd be happy to look at things on.

Great looking game, btw. I'll pick up the full version as soon as I burn out on We Love Katamari.

I would be curious to hear whether or not you are able to run it on 10.2 and 10.4, since I myself have only run it under 10.3. In theory, 10.4 should work, since Apple does maintain backward compatibility there. It is possible that it works under 10.2, but unfortunately I myself am not interested in trying to support it at this time.

Glad to hear you like it, at any rate!

Weston
10-01-2005 at 10:35 PM
patmo98
Rank Points: 39
wmarkham wrote:
Hmm. I pretty sure that I just used whatever mapping the underlying library (SDL) gave by default. I am mildly surprised that it is not simply working as expected. Is it ever the case that a right click corresponds to option, or some other modifier?

Weston

I don't know it this will help or not, but if you use a pc usb keyboard with a mac at least two of the following keys will be swaped, but I don't know which ones:
The Windows key
The control key
The Alt key

10-02-2005 at 02:53 AM
bateria
Rank Points: 14
Playing the beta on 10.4
Runs great!!!!!!!!!
Will be looking forward to purchasing full version.!!!
Carlos. :D
10-02-2005 at 08:21 PM
PUG1911
Rank Points: 13
wmarkham wrote:
patmo98 wrote:
I think DROD:AE for OS X died.
Well, died is a rather strong word. I am not actively maintaining it, but if there is interest, I can make additional patches for it, to fix bugs. JtRH is a priority for me right now, though.
You can find it at http://www.drod.net/forum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=5367 , but to use it you need to be able to compile sevral librarys. I think it also has sevral bugs in it that were fixed in JtRH for Mac OS X.
I did have a precompiled binary available at one point, but I took it down to save disk space for the account that was hosting it. Again, if there is interest, I can make it available.
As Schik says, the JtRH beta for OS X is available to everyone. You are encouraged to download and play it, with the caveat that because it is a "beta", there may still be a few more bugs in it than Caravel would want to have in a finished product.

Also, I would like to add that the current beta contains the Demo version of the JtRH hold.

Weston

I would very much like to get a copy of Drod for OS X. I don't know how to compile the libraries you spoke of, and would really appreciate having them made available, as well as any relevant instructions as to how to install/run the thing on OS X. I know this isn't a priority for you, but thanks for your time.
10-04-2005 at 03:13 AM
wmarkham
PUG1911 wrote:
I would very much like to get a copy of Drod for OS X.

Not to make it difficult for you or anything, but are you specifically looking for DROD:AE, or DROD:JtRH, or either-one-you-dont-care-as-long-as-its-drod? Of course, if you do not already have a copy of the data files from a purchased copy of DROD:JtRH, then I am not sure how useful that one is. (Are there openly available replacements for the needed media yet?)

Weston
10-09-2005 at 12:51 AM
PUG1911
wmarkham wrote:
PUG1911 wrote:
I would very much like to get a copy of Drod for OS X.

Not to make it difficult for you or anything, but are you specifically looking for DROD:AE, or DROD:JtRH, or either-one-you-dont-care-as-long-as-its-drod? Of course, if you do not already have a copy of the data files from a purchased copy of DROD:JtRH, then I am not sure how useful that one is. (Are there openly available replacements for the needed media yet?)

Weston

I would specifically like DROD:AE actually. I never managed to finish it on my now deceased PC. Thanks for getting back to me. And you have every right to make things difficult, as it's I who am asking you for a favour!

Thanks.
10-09-2005 at 12:59 AM
wmarkham
Hey, PUG1911! I made a new binary of my DROD:AE port avalable. See the DROD on Mac OS X thread.

Weston
10-10-2005 at 05:32 AM
PUG1911
wmarkham wrote:
Hey, PUG1911! I made a new binary of my DROD:AE port avalable. See the DROD on Mac OS X thread.

Weston

Holy sweet! Thanks very much for making this available. I know of one other person whom this would also interest.
10-10-2005 at 06:23 AM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
A new Mac beta is available in the downloads section. Go grab it! (if you want)

http://www.drod.net/forum/downloads.php

-Erik

11-06-2005 at 08:33 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
Yay! New features are good. Upgrades are good. DROD for more platforms means more customers means more money, which are good.

11-07-2005 at 09:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bateria
Rank Points: 14
ErikH2000 wrote:

-Erik
:w00t

Finished playing the Demo, NO BUGS!!!!
GREAT!!!!
11-11-2005 at 03:50 AM
jcobleigh
Level: Legendary Architect
Rank Points: 25
ErikH2000 wrote:

I just took a look and couldn't find a copy. Glad to see DROD for the macintosh is finally happening!

[Last edited by jcobleigh at 10-16-2007 02:55 AM]
01-05-2006 at 02:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Well, the Mac demo (it's not in beta anymore I believe) should be there, but until it gets put back you can find it on the official sell page for JtRH, which is here.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-05-2006 at 04:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jcobleigh
Level: Legendary Architect
Rank Points: 25
Oneiromancer wrote:
Well, the Mac demo (it's not in beta anymore I believe) should be there, but until it gets put back you can find it on the official sell page for JtRH, which is here.

Game on,

Found it. Thanks!

[Last edited by jcobleigh at 10-16-2007 02:56 AM]
01-05-2006 at 06:03 PM
RubellaGolda
Rank Points: 52
Hi there,

It's been a while since I've played DROD, and in the meantime I've switched to a Mac. Is the Mac version already available for me to continue playing JTRH?

I wouldn't mind to get a beta version, and I'd be willing to give some feedback if it doesn't run as smoothly as the windows version does, but I would like to be able to transfer my progress to my new computer and continue playing where I left. Also I would like to transfer my Caravelnet subscription.

Hopefully this is the right topic to put this in, as I couldn't find a recent more general "DROD on OS X" topic.

Edit:

Yay! :thumbsup I just found that there is a special caravelnet download link for the OSX version. Nice! I am going to try that. Tips about the transfer of my player data are sill welcome, however.

[Last edited by RubellaGolda at 02-07-2006 04:59 PM : Note to self: search more carfully, next time ;)]
02-07-2006 at 04:53 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
RubellaGolda wrote:
Tips about the transfer of my player data are sill welcome, however.
The player files should be compatible, so you shouldn't have any problem with transferring them by using ftp or cd's.

For the actual transfer, you can try the method I described in an another thread.

[Last edited by Tim at 02-07-2006 05:48 PM : I can't spell...]
02-07-2006 at 05:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 2 of 6
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Testers Needed for Mac OS X. (2.0.16 and 3.3.0)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com