Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The Unfortunate Architect (December's Official Contest)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Unfortunate Architect (0)  
Call the levels what you want, but the actual dungeons will be renamed to "Unfortunate Architect Entry #_" and given an anonymous name by me to differentiate from each hold. The anonymous names...
Click here to view the secret text
You will, at the very least, know your entry number before the polls so you don't have to waste time importing your own holds again. Ain't that special?

12-06-2004 at 09:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Abbyzzmal
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 348
I have a quick question about one of the rules.

4) For the sake of simplicity and ease of navigation, King Heighert requests that each room must be accessible from the entrance without having to clear out any rooms before it. This will also help so that, when you play each hold you won't be stuck on that hold forever because you can't pass a room that leads to the rest of them. With this in place, you'll at least be able to try other rooms.

Does each "accessible" room have to be beatable upon access? For instance, there are certain rooms that can only be beaten when a person enters from a certain direction. If a room must be beaten before another room can be entered from a direction that allows a player to triumph in said room, does this go against the spirit of the rule if that room is initially accessible, although in some unbeatable position?
12-07-2004 at 09:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Abbyzzmal wrote:
I have a quick question about one of the rules.

Does each "accessible" room have to be beatable upon access? For instance, there are certain rooms that can only be beaten when a person enters from a certain direction. If a room must be beaten before another room can be entered from a direction that allows a player to triumph in said room, does this go against the spirit of the rule if that room is initially accessible, although in some unbeatable position?
You do have a point, but I would ask that the first accessible entrance will have to have a position that you can beat the room in. No making hidden passages to get to the right entrance.

12-07-2004 at 11:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Abbyzzmal
Rank Points: 348
Okay, I think that's almost what I thought. Although, I would articulate it (with much more jargon) as: "There must be some entrance X for which X can be defeated and can be reached without having to defeat another room first." This is slightly different in meaning, but I think it better retains the spirit of what the rule is saying, that one room cannot prevent a person from continuing with other rooms, and allows for more flexibility.

I say it like this because there could very easily be separate passages (not necessarily hidden ones) that lead to rooms from other rooms. Since DROD only allows room-to-room movement in four directions, and since there are space limitations here, a passage like this one in level seven of Dugan's

(where 1 is possibly the first entrance to the room) would be useful for distinguishing each individual room. I can't see a reason why these should not be allowed. But if you have a good reason to ban these, I suppose I can live, but it seems that that would result in having to play part of a room before moving on to another one, which seems to stray from the intent of the rule more than these little paths.

Regardless, it's your contest. I'm just trying to help out.
12-08-2004 at 12:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
icon Re: The Unfortunate Architect (+1)  
Ahh....I get it now. Since Webster's Dictionary describes it as "capable of being reached",I see no problem with it, so I'd say go for it! I don't see any practical uses for it, but I'm sure that you'll find a creative way to add it!

12-08-2004 at 12:29 AM
cheese obsessive
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 219
duuuuhhh...I am trying to upload my hold into the hold counter thinger, but all I get is a stupid error message that says...

"Warning: fopen("holds/King Heigherts Heights Dungeon and Day Spa.hold", "rb") - Permission denied in /home/httpd/vhosts/drod.net/httpdocs/forum/holdfunctions.php on line 304
Unable to open file."

I counted everything, but I just want to make sure I have the right numbers before I send it away. Yeahhh.
12-08-2004 at 10:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
cheese obsessive wrote:
duuuuhhh...I am trying to upload my hold into the hold counter thinger, but all I get is a stupid error message that says...

"Warning: fopen("holds/King Heigherts Heights Dungeon and Day Spa.hold", "rb") - Permission denied in /home/httpd/vhosts/drod.net/httpdocs/forum/holdfunctions.php on line 304
Unable to open file."

I counted everything, but I just want to make sure I have the right numbers before I send it away. Yeahhh.
The server is having some weird problems... This script is now working for me. Please let me know if this or anything else gives anyone any problems.

12-09-2004 at 02:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
techant
Rank Points: 854
Well I have e-mailed off my submission.

Holding my breath now... :sick

12-11-2004 at 05:00 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
Finished, played through, sent. That was fun (even working out how to fit in all those evil eyes.) :D
12-12-2004 at 03:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
I bring good news for all!

Right now, this contest has become the most participated contest in DROD.net participation, surpassing the 8 entries in the I Ching contest! Congratulations everyone!!

Because of this high number, the poll period is being extended until January 10th, meaning you'll have close to a month to complete each hold and be able to give a fair judgement on each. Holidays may still play a part, but you will have some time before and after them to play these holds.

12-12-2004 at 03:51 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Finished, played through, sent, made changes, sent updated version accidentally three times, fixed more errors, fixed something else later and now ready to roll :)
12-12-2004 at 04:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
As I write this on a command-based Linux system (Weirdly, this is pretty cool. Confusing, but cool), I get the fun of telling you that there is around 42 hours left to submit your entry! If you can't in that time, please let me know and I will make arrangements for you. Good luck everyone!

12-13-2004 at 10:42 PM
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
As I write this on a command-based Linux system ....
Command-based Linux system, eh? I find myself wondering what the contrast to that would be. Persuasion based system, perhaps? :P (I'm assuming you mean command-line based system. Does that mean you're using a Linux box that isn't running X? Just curious.)

++Adam H. Peterson
12-13-2004 at 10:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
AlefBet wrote:
Command-based Linux system, eh? I find myself wondering what the contrast to that would be. Persuasion based system, perhaps? :P (I'm assuming you mean command-line based system. Does that mean you're using a Linux box that isn't running X? Just curious.)
Doesn't everyone own a persuasion-based copy of Linux? Oh sad, sad people...

Actually, I did mean command-line. My dad brought me home a copy of SystemRescueCD (A command line based Linux system) asking me to try and figure out how to do some stuff in it. Ironically, I found the browser, which only displays basic black text and pictures. Naturally, I had to see how the forum was doing. ;)

Which brings me to my happy news that I'm installing Linux on my computer. *Insert Penguin smilie here* After working with is at our school (Our school has RedHat on the servers and access it through SUN-Ray terminals.), I realized how beautiful and stable it was. Heck, I even got a copy of DROD working on it and showed the system administrator, who seemed to be intriqued by the game). Currently, I'm deciding which distro of Linux I want, but I'm leaning to either Gentoo or Mandrake. However, I may end up going to Gentoo simply because of all the reviews that I've heard from it.

12-13-2004 at 11:18 PM
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
However, I may end up going to Gentoo simply because of all the reviews that I've heard from it.
Ah, and Gentoo comes with DROD included! This would be the largest reason to go with Gentoo.

-Erik

12-13-2004 at 11:31 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
My response to that is :offtopic, so I'm posting it over here.

++Adam H. Peterson
12-13-2004 at 11:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3741
E-mailed in my entry, but no reply yet. Just posting that in case it's been lost to a spam filter or whatever. Cheers.

12-14-2004 at 12:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Fafnir
Rank Points: 315
Sorry I couldn't get mine in - it's unfinished due to a combination of the school panto, two sudden illnesses(!) and a motherboard replacement putting my PC out of commission for two days (don't ask). I may finish and release it later.

12-14-2004 at 06:29 PM
gamer_extreme_101
That's a wrap! All entries are in, so expect a poll within the next 30 hours (I still have some prep work to do on some holds, but I have a previous engagement tonight).

12-15-2004 at 10:31 PM
NoahT
Rank Points: 1132
I was going to enter, but I only started my entry a few days ago and didn't have time to finish. Perhaps I'll just do the same as Fafnir, and just release to be played for fun.

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

12-16-2004 at 03:47 AM
techant
Rank Points: 854
This is for anyone else who is looking here for the holds to review, I just found out they were posted here -

http://www.drod.net/forum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=4608

Happy Testing :w00t

[Edited by techant at Local Time:12-19-2004 at 10:05 PM]

12-19-2004 at 10:03 PM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The Unfortunate Architect (December's Official Contest)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com