Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The Unfortunate Architect (December's Official Contest)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
IP: Logged
icon The Unfortunate Architect (+6)  
Waking up one cold Quarsuary morning, you hear rapid knocking on the door. Upset, as you happened to have a bad case of insomnia, you grumpily walk towards your door. Suprised, you find Tortan Kuler, a fellow architect, outside your door. Opening it, you can hear him panting and gasping for air.

"Big...job...down...at...King...Heighert's...castle..." he tries to speak, still out of breath.

"Wait, just come on in for a cold glass of water" you respond. After taking a couple sips, he starts to calm down and speak properly.

"King Heighert just announced that he is recruiting architects to redesign his dungeon. He's offering over 200 000 greckles to anyone who can build him an amazing, one floor dungeon for all his prisoners!" he exclaimed.

"Bad news, Tortan. The only supplier on this continent closed his shop, and I only have a small stock left in my own basement for emergency repairs. There'll be no way I'll ever be able to get more supply in time for being considered a serious competitor".

"But, come on! 200 000 greckles! You could retire for that much money!"

"Okay, but I doubt the King will choose me for it...I'm used to having an unlimited stock for my dungeons. I could never make a dungeon with the little stock that I have."

"It'll be fine, but think about it: everyone will be the same situation as you. No one, even if they were from another continent could bring down a shipment in time to be a serious contender."

"I'll think about it. Thanks for the information, though" you finish as he gets up to leave. Looking down at your basement, you smile to yourself, thinking '200 000 greckles...That's a challenge that I just can't resist...'

---------------------------------

Yes, I'm running this month's contest, seeing as all the moderators are busy playing Half-Life 2...or at least deserve to play it. Actually, they're busy working on the next version of DROD, so I got the honour, the glory, and the stress of running December's contest. :) But enough of my problems. Let's move on to the rules:

1) The hold must be exactly 9 rooms large, and each hold must be one exit/entrance room with the remaining 8 rooms being puzzle rooms.

2) With the architect's shop closed, the only stock you have remaining is:

-25 Roach Queens (And with them, unlimited roaches)
-16 Wraithwings
-110 Evil Eyes
-5 Tar Mothers (And with it, unlimited tar and tar babies)
-10 Snakes (Any length...you have a lot of snake food to spare)
-11 Goblins
-3 Brains
-3 Mimic Potions
-1 Invisibility Potion
-No spiders, sadly. They all seemed to disappear on you...

You do, however, have an unlimited supply of anything else. (Walls,pits, statues, scrolls, etc.)

3) All of the items above will die if not used soon, and it gets very pricey to clean out dead snakes and such, so all of the above items must be used. Not one less, and not one more.

4) For the sake of simplicity and ease of navigation, King Heighert requests that each room must be accessible from the entrance without having to clear out any rooms before it. This will also help so that, when you play each hold you won't be stuck on that hold forever because you can't pass a room that leads to the rest of them. With this in place, you'll at least be able to try other rooms.

5) When you are finished building the hold, send it to me with "Anyone Edit" permissions to gamerextreme101@gmail.com on or before Local Time:12-15-2004 at 06:00 PM If Christmas activities become an issue, be sure to let me know, and I can find some way to fit your entry in. I'm a considerate person, and I do know that Christmas is an insanly busy time of year, and I don't want this contest to take over your life.

6) Polls will open on December 16th, after I check all entries for the requirements. All holds will have anonymous names...so no one will know whose entry is which. All's fair in love, war, and architecting. The polls will judge based on implementation of all elements, creativity, and fun.

7) Every room in the entry must be solvable. If it is not solvable and you do not submit a fix for it, the entry will be consider 'Null' and will be out of the running.

8) After receiving an entry, I will send you 2 confirmation emails. The first one will be sent once I receive it, which should be sent around 12-16 hours after sending at the most. If you do not hear a response in that time, please PM me and let me know. This is just so we don't get any valid entries heading to the spam bucket (See Last Month's contest for more on the "Fun with Spam" adventure series)

The second email I will send you will be the email telling you if your entry meets are the criteria or not. If it does not, you will have until before the polls open (Around Local Time:12-15-2004 at 04:00 PM) to send it in. If I do not receive an updated entry before then, you are, sadly, out of luck.

9) Now that I've finished with the rules, time for some of the interesting stuff! Prizes include:
-Sadly, as hard as I tried to get Erik to give the winner 200 000 greckles, he refused. Instead, the winner will get 100 rank points and one of the fabulous items from the DROD Store . If you ask nicely, I could also manage a copy of JtRH for the winner...
-50 rank points and a loud cheer go to the second place winner.
-25 rank points go to third place, along with the knowledge of achievement.

10) If you have never participated in a contest before, I'll be kind enough to give you 10 rank points for submitting a valid entry. Hey,everyone's got to start out sometime!

11) If you have any questions or concerns, be sure to post them here or email me at the address shown above.

All I have left to say now if to have fun and be creative! All of the elements you have may not be considered much, but they can make for some really interesting rooms. And with a total of two weeks to build these, no one has an excuse not to enter!

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 at Local Time:11-29-2004 at 02:33 PM: Added onto Rule 6]

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 at Local Time:12-01-2004 at 10:39 PM]

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 at Local Time:12-13-2004 at 10:40 PM]

11-29-2004 at 02:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
icon Re: The Unfortunate Architect (+1)  
Fun! I'll make something as usual. School's more important than DROD, though so I don't have time to start it in a day or two.
That's a large number of evil eyes, by the way. The most annoying thing here is to count how many things I've already used.

[Feature request]
It would be nice to see the amount of all used things by clicking somewhere in the editor. Schik used something to see everything in KDD... I saw it somewhere
[/Feature Request]
11-29-2004 at 02:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
What will the polls be ranking? I'm assuming basically just quality, since there seems no other criteria to judge by, but it's probably worthwhile clarifying this before people start building their holds.

11-29-2004 at 02:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
icon Re: The Unfortunate Architect (0)  
Polls will judge based on implementation of all elements, creativity, and fun. I don't want people to make the most difficult holds on earth in this contest.

11-29-2004 at 02:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
25 Roach Queens (And with them, unlimited roaches)
Can I place any normal roaches or do they all have to be spawned?
11-29-2004 at 02:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
All tar, roaches and tar babies can be placed to begin with.

11-29-2004 at 02:41 PM
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
Doom wrote:
[Feature request]
It would be nice to see the amount of all used things by clicking somewhere in the editor. Schik used something to see everything in KDD... I saw it somewhere
[/Feature Request]
Schik at your service. Since this functionality doesn't exist in the game, I created a little php script to count them for you.

If you go to http://www.drod.net/forum/holdstats.php and upload a .hold file, it will count the monsters and potions for you. Enjoy!

Edit: I should mention that each eye in the tar mother is counted, so if they're all kept intact, you'll see twice the number of tar mothers as you inserted.

[Edited by Schik at Local Time:11-29-2004 at 03:36 PM]

11-29-2004 at 03:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Malarame
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
Ooooh, this sounds fun. I've never participated in a contest before, so this will hopefully be my first one. I say hopefully because I'm not sure I can create a fun hold with those constraints in a couple weeks, but I'm going to try!

Good idea for a contest gamer!

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
-Groucho Marx
11-29-2004 at 03:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Fafnir
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 315
By five tar mothers, do you mean five eyes, five sets of two eyes arranged in the traditional manner, or ten eyes to be arranged in any manner desired?

11-29-2004 at 03:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
I would assume they would have to be in the traditional manner (5 sets of 2 eyes)

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
11-29-2004 at 05:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stuwy
Rank Points: 212
Fun! I do have some neat puzzles that were never introduced into one of my holds.

11-29-2004 at 06:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
I think I will just use this quote from gamer from last month's competition ;) :
I love it!!! I love it!!! I love it!!! Have I mentioned that I love it yet? Count me in for at least one!!! I already have an idea.....
-- Tim

[ No thtat I have an idea yet, but I will... ]

[Edited by Tim at Local Time:11-29-2004 at 09:56 PM]

11-29-2004 at 09:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
cheese obsessive
Rank Points: 219
I'm in, I guess. I have nothing better to do, and I need practice on hold-building skillage, anyways. ^_^
11-29-2004 at 10:15 PM
gamer_extreme_101
icon Re: The Unfortunate Architect (+2)  
I'm glad to see that most of you are planning to enter!! I was a bit worried that the contest might only have 2 or 3 entering, but it's good to see that a fair amount will be!
Fafnir wrote:
By five tar mothers, do you mean five eyes, five sets of two eyes arranged in the traditional manner, or ten eyes to be arranged in any manner desired?
The second one.
Schik wrote:
Schik at your service. Since this functionality (Counting monsters & potions) doesn't exist in the game, I created a little php script to count them for you.
Have I mentioned that you're my hero? :Notworthy This sounds a lot better than having me count every item (Which I probably will anyway).
Doom wrote: Fun! I'll make something as usual. School's more important than DROD, though so I don't have time to start it in a day or two.
Oh come on...school can wait... ;)
That's a large number of evil eyes, by the way.
Unknowingly, a fair amount of your stock was clever enough to escape while you weren't looking. The eyes, however, were always facing the wall...

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 at Local Time:11-30-2004 at 01:49 AM]

11-29-2004 at 11:12 PM
Malarame
Rank Points: 220
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
Fafnir wrote:
The first one.
Wait... we can only use five eyes total? As in 2 1/2 tar mothers?

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
-Groucho Marx
11-30-2004 at 01:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Bleh. :angry I meant the secind one.

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 at Local Time:11-30-2004 at 01:50 AM: Blah]

11-30-2004 at 01:49 AM
Korgath
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 23
Sounds fun. I suppose now is a good as time as any to start entering a contest
11-30-2004 at 10:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Fafnir
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 315
Might as well give it a try - I wonder if my hold-building 'skills' will be as 'good' as my Photoshopping ones...

11-30-2004 at 07:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
All tar, roaches and tar babies can be placed to begin with.

So, just to confirm this, we can have as many roaches and tar babies as we want, independent of roach queens and tar mothers?

12-01-2004 at 01:04 PM
Tim
Patrick,

About that anonymous thing, are you going to copy the holds and then rename them? Or should a hold be delivered using "Anonymous" as designer?

This is pretty important, as copying an hold from another user can cause some bugs. Like some scrolls being wiped out (almost certain about this), or stair exit bugs (probably).

-- Tim

12-01-2004 at 01:31 PM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
Have already started with designer as Anonymous, so hope that is correct.

Btw, your link to the DROD store is missing the .com

12-01-2004 at 02:42 PM
Doom
If you've not started as "Anonymous" you can simply change your name from
Settings -> Name
before sending your hold to GE101

Remember to change it back after that to prevent future misunderstandings.

(by the way, 50% done of my entry at the moment.)
12-01-2004 at 02:55 PM
Slug
Rank Points: 122
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
7) Every room in the entry must be solvable. If it is not solvable and you do not submit a fix for it, the entry will be consider 'Null' and will be out of the running.

Should we send solutions for every room with the entry to make sure or wait until someone notices that room is unsolvable (if there happens to be one) and post about it. I doubt anyone will send their entry without playing it through but atleast this way everyone would be sure that the hold can be completed.

...and yeah, 25% done of my entry.
12-01-2004 at 11:17 PM
cheese obsessive
Rank Points: 219
Am I allowed to put the staircase inside one of the puzzles to incorperate it into the lever design? Or does the staircase HAVE to be in the entrance room?
12-02-2004 at 02:51 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
...and can we put a puzzle in the entrance/exit room?

12-02-2004 at 03:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
...As long as it doesn't interfere with rule #4, I see no problem with having a puzzle in the entrance.

12-02-2004 at 02:18 PM
techant
Rank Points: 854
I am looking forward to trying my hand at my first hold as well. This is a great motivator I am about 1/3 done. :D

Amazing Contest Discription: The Rules for Hold Building!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by techant at 10-22-2007 08:17 AM]
12-05-2004 at 03:39 AM
techant
Rank Points: 854
Well now I am almost done, but I do not know where it saves the hold at. That is what subdir. I named it "Anonymous" as designer, as instructed but I do not see a hold named that in the homemade subdir. Is it somewhere else or do I have to do something else to save it. I had it set on auto save, is there another step in naming the hold?

Also, I wanted to try:
If you go to http://www.drod.net/forum/holdstats.php and upload a .hold file, it will count the monsters and potions for you. Enjoy!

but, I didn't know where to find the file - same problem as above I guess.

1) The hold must be exactly 9 rooms large, and each hold must be one exit/entrance room with the remaining 8 rooms being puzzle rooms.

Someone else asked about this but I did not see an answer. Can the exit be in a different room than the entrance or is #1 telling me that it has to be in the same room? This is my first hold so I am sorry for seeming dense. :blush

I guess it seemed like if the exit room had a puzzle then it met the requirements.

Thanks for the help.

12-06-2004 at 10:53 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
You have to export the hold.

From the DROD main menu, go to "Where", select your hold and click on "Export".

-

I am assuming that entrance and exit have to be in the same room. So I reckon you could put the exit in a puzzle room, but just make sure that you also make that room the entrance.

edditional: but that's really just equivalent to putting a puzzle in the entrance/exit room, all things considered.

[Edited by Rabscuttle at Local Time:12-06-2004 at 12:04 PM]
12-06-2004 at 11:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Oh, how I wish I had inspiration right now... I haven't got a single room yet. :?

Another thing, we are not going to call all our holds "King Heighert's Hold", do we? This would be a bit difficult...

(not to say in the least that I cannot use quotes within text in DROD:AE)

-- Tim

12-06-2004 at 08:22 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The Unfortunate Architect (December's Official Contest)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com