Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The Truthbringers (Our contest for November.)
Page 4 of 7
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Krishh
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 282
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Truthbringers (0)  
Some clues speak of caves being on opposite sides of one barrier. Note that this is not the same as saying that one cave is opposite to another. It is instead meant that moving perpendicular to the long sides of a barrier you will approach one cave in a first direction, and the other cave moving the opposite direction.

I'm still not completely sure about this one. For example, if something is on the opposite sides of tunnel A, does this mean the Grim chamber and the bottom part of Majux, or Grim, Right side of Forebread and the rest of the map? Also, are the sides these refer to for tunnels the long sides or the exits, or can it be both for tunnels, and long sides only for barriers?
11-08-2005 at 07:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ClaytonW
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 961
I wrote:
First person to PM me with the phrase "Roaches are for sissies!" and four of their truths and a lie,(not telling which is the lie) I'll give five truths.
Okay, stop PMing me. I got 10 replies, but stigant was first. You'll get your five truths in just a moment.

(edit: Sorry redhawk, I was looking at my PM box upside down. you were actually last. stigant was first...I'll send you five truths just because of my error.)

[Last edited by ClaytonW at 11-08-2005 07:58 PM]
11-08-2005 at 07:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Krishh wrote:
Some clues speak of caves being on opposite sides of one barrier. Note that this is not the same as saying that one cave is opposite to another. It is instead meant that moving perpendicular to the long sides of a barrier you will approach one cave in a first direction, and the other cave moving the opposite direction.

I'm still not completely sure about this one. For example, if something is on the opposite sides of tunnel A, does this mean the Grim chamber and the bottom part of Majux, or Grim, Right side of Forebread and the rest of the map? Also, are the sides these refer to for tunnels the long sides or the exits, or can it be both for tunnels, and long sides only for barriers?
It is referring to the caves on opposite sides of the tunnels. Each tunnel only connects two caves, so only two caves can be on opposite sides of a tunnel.

It is important to note the distinction between buildings and entire caves. For example, Forebread and Majux caverns are on opposite sides of two different barriers from one another. Just because two buildings are only directly across one particular barrier doesn't mean anything when you are comparing caves as a whole. So make sure you read the clues carefully.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-08-2005 at 07:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jolima
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 37
Ok, here's my offer, I don't know anything about:

Storage Index, Fetching facility, Guesthouse;
Tunnels C and H;
2nd and 6th Secretary;
72nd and 79th Archivist;
Rememberer and Handler;
Oremite and Bronze Barrier.

Anyone who PM:s me a clue that I haven't yet recieved gets one clue in return immediately. When a second person sends me the same clue, both the first and second person gets one more clue from me. Sound like a deal?

The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be. - Douglas Adams
11-08-2005 at 08:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
Oneiromancer wrote:
It is referring to the caves on opposite sides of the tunnels. Each tunnel only connects two caves, so only two caves can be on opposite sides of a tunnel.
Yeah, what Neil said here is correct. Note that he solved the whole puzzle after I gave him all the clues, so he generally knows what he's talking about. Schik also solved the puzzle and is similarly authoritative.

Respect mah authoritah!

-Erik

11-08-2005 at 08:11 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Krishh
Rank Points: 282
Actually it's two buildings. So do the two topmost buildings an majux count? It's still on the other side of tunnel A.

And in the case of barriers: Would the Minux buidings count as being on the opposite side of the horizontal barrier btween it and Majux only for the two topmost Majux buildings, or for the bottom right one too?
11-08-2005 at 08:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Krishh wrote:
Actually it's two buildings. So do the two topmost buildings an majux count? It's still on the other side of tunnel A.
Yes, all buildings in Majux Cavern are on the opposite side of Tunnel A from Glim Chamber.
And in the case of barriers: Would the Minux buidings count as being on the opposite side of the horizontal barrier btween it and Majux only for the two topmost Majux buildings, or for the bottom right one too?
Nope, as I said before, if any barrier is between two caves, it is considered to be between all buildings in the caves. This is why some of the clues refer to the caves that the buildings are in, not the specific buildings. If there is a clue that refers to a specific building being next to a tunnel or a bridge, then you can worry about that specifically. Just be on the lookout for the more ambiguous "cave".

So in your example, the Minux cave (and thus the buildings inside it) is opposite Majux cave (and its buildings) via two barriers (and two tunnels as well).

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-08-2005 at 08:20 PM
techant
Rank Points: 854
I know first hand info about:
Seventh Secretary
Eighth Secretary
Ninth Secretary
70th Archivist
Bruntchief
Patron
Tunnel A
Tunnel B
Tunnel F
Office of Inequities
Storage

You can PM me for more I am intrested in only truthtellers as that is what I am.

Amazing Contest Discription: The Rules for Hold Building!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by techant at 10-22-2007 09:38 AM]
11-08-2005 at 08:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
Techant and others, please redirect all posts about giving out/trading/requesting truths to the Truthbringer Info Exchange thread.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
11-08-2005 at 08:36 PM
ErikH2000
Krishh wrote:
I think we're suffering from a lack of concrete examples. So let's say a clue is in this form:

Caves containing building #1 and building #2 are on opposite sides of Tunnel A.

This doesn't say that the two buildings are opposite of each other. The two buildings could be positioned any which way. Tunnel A connects two different caves together, and since all tunnels are (basically) straight and only connect two caves, those two caves can always be considered to be on opposite sides of the tunnel. The clue goes on to say that one of those two caves contains building #1 and the other contains building #2.
For the bottom right one too. And, perhaps unintuitively, the bottom left building in the Majux cavern. If we are talking about the caves being opposite of each other relative to a barrier, then the position of buildings referenced by the clue is irrelevant.

If your clue is in the form:

Building #1 and Building #2 are in caves on opposite sides of the X Barrier.

...then that doesn't say that the buildings are opposite of each other. The buildings could be positioned any number of ways inside of their caves. The caves containing the buildings are on opposite sides of the X barrier. Also, if a clue is in the above form, specifiying barrier and not tunnels, then it is possible for unconnected caves (by tunnels) to be on opposite sides of barriers. So for example, considering the barrier just below Cavelet, it can be said that Cavelet and Forebread are on one side of that barrier, and Minux and Majux are on the opposite side.

-Erik

11-08-2005 at 08:39 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
I don't know if it's too late to do this, and I wasn't able to log into the forum yesterday, but I did say I wanted to participate too (very early on), and my name isn't on this list either.

Do I still get a chance to participate, or am I (forced) to sit this one out too?

11-08-2005 at 10:18 PM
Oneiromancer
agaricus5 wrote:
I don't know if it's too late to do this, and I wasn't able to log into the forum yesterday, but I did say I wanted to participate too (very early on), and my name isn't on this list either.

Do I still get a chance to participate, or am I (forced) to sit this one out too?
From what Erik's said, I'm 99% sure you're too late. Sorry, man.

Game on,

11-08-2005 at 10:21 PM
KevG
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 333
Hey Erik

Is there any way you could guarantee that the contest will stay open for a few days? I can understand if it stretches on for weeks that it should end with the first three correct answers. But, I'd really hate to wake up tomorrow and find the contest ended while I was asleep.

Maybe promise to keep the contest going for a week. Alternatively, once you get three correct answers, announce that there's only 24 hours to submit answers. Any additional solvers could be listed as runners-up in the official wrap-up announcement.

Don't know if you would want to do this or not, but I figured I'd throw it out for consideration.
11-08-2005 at 10:29 PM
ErikH2000
agaricus5 wrote:
Crud. You did post your intent to enter, and I just missed it when putting my list together. I'm sorry about that!

Unfortunately, I can't add you to the contest, but I'll give you participation credit. You sent a solution for the dinner puzzle, so that counts as participation.

-Erik

11-08-2005 at 10:32 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: The Truthbringers (+2)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
agaricus5 wrote:
Crud. You did post your intent to enter, and I just missed it when putting my list together. I'm sorry about that!

Unfortunately, I can't add you to the contest, but I'll give you participation credit. You sent a solution for the dinner puzzle, so that counts as participation.

-Erik
No problem; thanks for giving me the credit for entering.

However, just because I'm not in doesn't mean I can't have any fun anyway.

Ahem!

*I am tempted to take making that offer that I previously made literally (now I re-read it), and only award people who actually followed the instructions, but that might not be very nice. So, I will reword it.

*The first 10 people to send me one clue will get one clue from all the other people that send me anything. *

*:

Click here to view the secret text

:P

[Last edited by agaricus5 at 11-08-2005 10:51 PM]
11-08-2005 at 10:40 PM
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
At this point, you could probably just give him 5 random clues... He'd be at a days disadvantage, but he could always take up Eytanz's offer for all the true information.

11-08-2005 at 10:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
icon Re: The Truthbringers (+1)  
Perhaps you might set something a little particular for Agaricus? I know I wouldn't mind handing my participation rights, and the hunt for hints, into his hands, if he is interested in the political aspect of the game. I have already done a fair bit of hint gathering though, but the more interesting part may be to get those last few hints you so badly need, so it might just work out.

Of course, standard provisions about "relinquishing all your rights as a citizen of the Eighth, and all your privileges as a contestor, no award... blah blah..." would apply. That is, if your problem with adding new contestors *was* the number of hints out there; if you would rather not do rule-bending, I suppose it just cannot happen.

And come to think a lil more about it, I'm not sure if it would work *that* well in practice, and it lacks the simplicity of Stigant's suggestion.

Echoing KevG's comments: I would like to have the full list of clues somewhere, without the answers, so interested players can try to solve the problem, even if they were too late with the hint-gathering. It's like something like that has already been planned, though.

[Last edited by Alneyan at 11-08-2005 10:50 PM]
11-08-2005 at 10:45 PM
ErikH2000
Maybe promise to keep the contest going for a week. Alternatively, once you get three correct answers, announce that there's only 24 hours to submit answers. Any additional solvers could be listed as runners-up in the official wrap-up announcement.
If someone else will volunteer to "grade" submitted answers after the first 3 for correctness, then we can do this. I'm worried about spending too much time on the contest, and that's why I had the contest ending after the first three correct answers were submitted.

I'm still expecting the game to last beyond this week, but I admit that I could be wrong.

-Erik

11-08-2005 at 10:58 PM
ErikH2000
stigant wrote:
At this point, you could probably just give him 5 random clues... He'd be at a days disadvantage, but he could always take up Eytanz's offer for all the true information.
I'd rather not do that. It could disturb other people's strategies. I won't say exactly how.

-Erik

11-08-2005 at 11:00 PM
Chalks
Rank Points: 267
Hey Erik...I just want to say, this is the coolest contest ever. I LOoOooVe watching people lie to each other (and me). It's really funny. Especially when I notice it. hehe.

very cool contest, and I think it's quite challenging. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup
11-08-2005 at 11:05 PM
ErikH2000
Alneyan wrote:
Perhaps you might set something a little particular for Agaricus?
I thought about that, but I don't think it's a good idea. Other left-out people have an argument for being included in the contest that is maybe just slightly less convincing than Agaricus'. I don't want to continue playing the St. Peter role--letting some people in and others not, making this guy happy and this other guy upset. I'm thankful that Agaricus is a good sport about this.

Really, I'd prefer to not change the contest participants at this point. It may just lead to more trouble.

-Erik

11-08-2005 at 11:06 PM
ErikH2000
agaricus5 wrote:
However, just because I'm not in doesn't mean I can't have any fun anyway.
I don't mind you or other people acting as an outside agent and affecting the game. You might even join somebody else and help them gain information. Just don't introduce out-of-game incentives into your offers.

-Erik

11-08-2005 at 11:10 PM
zaubberer
Rank Points: 251
icon Re: The Truthbringers (+1)  
i collected a lot of informations. maybe there's somthing you would like to know. your welcome!

zaubberer
truthbringer of our famous stalwart captain

sharing informations brings more effectivity. (slogan of the formerly director of the Great Information Office)
11-08-2005 at 11:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Alneyan wrote:
Echoing KevG's comments: I would like to have the full list of clues somewhere, without the answers, so interested players can try to solve the problem, even if they were too late with the hint-gathering. It's like something like that has already been planned, though.
All of the clues will dumped into public view by the end of the month.

I wouldn't make all the clues available beforehand to anybody except maybe to Schik and Oneiromancer, because I'd be afraid of the information leaking a little too quickly into the contest. Or even the perception of this abuse could damage the game, i.e "How did you suddenly get all the clues? Cheater!".

EDIT: For the record, I actually did already give clues to Schik and Oneiromancer.

-Erik

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 11-08-2005 11:20 PM]
11-08-2005 at 11:16 PM
Chalks
Rank Points: 267
ErikH2000 wrote:
"How did you suddenly get all the clues? Cheater!".

-Erik

Magic!!! :wizard
11-08-2005 at 11:18 PM
Alneyan
Actually, what I had in mind was simply not revealing the solution publicly, or removing the (then made public) clues, at the end of the regular contest (first three players). You have done just that for the entrance contest, with the solution hidden in secret tags, but an over enthusiastic player might just give the game away, or some such.

The clues themselves should stay under allied control until the end of the month. Now all we need to do is steal the clues (or better yet, the solution) away, and we will become rich by selling out the goods on the black market. Hmm.

[Last edited by Alneyan at 11-08-2005 11:25 PM]
11-08-2005 at 11:24 PM
Alneyan
On an aside, am I the only one who finds the "private clues" subject to be just a tad bit ironic? Everybody and their respective siblings seem to have some of my clues in duplicate at the very least, so trading must be wreaking havoc to the cute notion of privacy.

And don't forget the real answer: Colonel Mustard, in the kitchen, with the rope.
11-08-2005 at 11:30 PM
ErikH2000
Alneyan wrote:
Actually, what I had in mind was simply not revealing the solution publicly, or removing the (then made public) clues, at the end of the regular contest (first three players). You have done just that for the entrance contest, with the solution hidden in secret tags, but an over enthusiastic player might just give the game away, or some such.
Yeah, that's the problem--overenthusiastic/unscrupulous players and their counterparts, the paranoid players. If I give the information to people privately, then it may get distributed and wreck the contest. Best to make it all public at one time.

-Erik

11-08-2005 at 11:31 PM
Alneyan
I seem to have a tough time thinking straight tonight. So, let me switch to the terse mode, instead of my usual verbose setting.

So, "I would like that nobody spoils the puzzle by giving away the answer (or parts of it), once said puzzle is over, allowing people who were late to solve the puzzle on their own regardless." I do not wish to see the full list of clues out in the open, or anything of the sort.
11-08-2005 at 11:37 PM
ErikH2000
Oh, I get it. Yeah! Makes sense. Sorry for being slow.

-Erik

11-09-2005 at 12:47 AM
Page 4 of 7
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The Truthbringers (Our contest for November.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com