Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : 2018 Year of RPG: Voting (A multiple question poll)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
RankEntryAverageStandard Deviation
1The Hostile Hotel9.60.66332495807108
2The Heist8.91.5132745950422
3Exponentiate8.70.9
4Amplified Arena8.31.8466185312619
5In Your Atmosphere7.62.2
6NotRPG: Unbottled Arena7.22.3579652245103
6Suprematism of Health7.21.6
8Crystalline Flow7.11.8138357147217
9Castle Repton Annex6.82.227105745132
10Too Many Scorepoints6.52.4186773244896
10Doppelganger6.51.7464249196573
The Hostile Hotel
Average Vote 9.6
Standard Deviation 0.66332495807108

Exponentiate
Average Vote 8.7
Standard Deviation 0.9

Crystalline Flow
Average Vote 7.1
Standard Deviation 1.8138357147217

The Heist
Average Vote 8.9
Standard Deviation 1.5132745950422

Suprematism of Health
Average Vote 7.2
Standard Deviation 1.6

In Your Atmosphere
Average Vote 7.6
Standard Deviation 2.2

Too Many Scorepoints
Average Vote 6.5
Standard Deviation 2.4186773244896

Amplified Arena
Average Vote 8.3
Standard Deviation 1.8466185312619

Doppelganger
Average Vote 6.5
Standard Deviation 1.7464249196573

Castle Repton Annex
Average Vote 6.8
Standard Deviation 2.227105745132

NotRPG: Unbottled Arena
Average Vote 7.2
Standard Deviation 2.3579652245103
Total Votes 13 100%
Poster Message
kieranmillar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2670
IP: Logged
icon 2018 Year of RPG: Voting (+2)  
It's voting time!

Play the entries attached to the following post and give them a rating!

Entries are listed above in the order they appear in the hub, starting from the top left and moving left-to-right, then down. The order the entries appear in the hub was kind of randomised, with a bit of going in order of submission time near the end.

You are allowed, and even encouraged, to vote your own entries 10. You need to submit all of your votes at the same time, and if you peek at the results before voting, you forfeit your right to vote.

Voting ends at the end of October.

Unfortunately copying RPG holds into another one is fraught with peril due to some characters not necessarily copying across correctly. I think this should all work, but if each author could check their own entries to see if I've messed anything up, that would be great thanks. At least this time there should be no erroneous starting resources in people's entries. *ahem*

[Last edited by kieranmillar at 10-11-2018 04:44 PM]
10-11-2018 at 04:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar

File: 2018 Year of RPG Compilation.drh (80.8 KB)
Downloaded 66 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: 2018 Year of RPG: Voting (0)  
Here are the entries!
10-11-2018 at 04:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
I knew I would make a mistake somewhere.

NotRPG: Unbottled Arena should actually be called NotRPG: Unbottled Cellar. Both the poll and the scroll in the compilation have this wrong. I blame Amplified Arena for messing me up :P

Also In Your Atmosphere has a level named Aornis Island which is what you see when playing it so don't get confused as to which entry this one is.

[Last edited by kieranmillar at 10-11-2018 05:12 PM]
10-11-2018 at 05:11 PM
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1531
I have played through and successfully assigned a numerical value to my opinion about everyone's entries! I also wrote more detailed opinions, which will be available in the following secret after the poll closes (at least in theory):

Click here to view the secret text

Here are some links to Things!

[Last edited by Xindaris at 10-27-2018 04:14 PM]
10-17-2018 at 12:39 AM
kieranmillar
Here are my comments:
The Hostile Hotel - 10
The absolute standout entry of the contest in my mind by a significant margin, The Hostile Hotel is just a pure, solid, traditional RPG entry that manages to feel like a full-size standalone hold, with a full altar mechanic, squeezed into just 15 rooms! The restocking shop helps save on the space and is a brilliant concept. The altar and ability to trade your keys for either ATK or DEF means you can choose to go super-heavy on one or the other and both strategies work really well and feel very different. A heavy DEF run is just so satisfying too. The feeling of saving up keys for better tradeoffs on the next floor is great fun. If this were released as a standalone hold it would seriously be in my list of top holds, which is more than I could have asked from any entry in this contest, well done Nuntar. :thumbsup

Exponentiate! - 8
This was actually my second favourite entry. A simple concept and not much to it, but the sheer speed that your stat gains escalate and the absurd numbers you can reach so quickly is a lot of fun. I think it was about as long as the concept needed it to be, and to be honest you'd have struggled to support anything further. I don't think with the multiplier scaling this fast you could use this as a concept in its own standalone hold, but it worked very well for the short, experimental nature that the Year of RPG contests tend to be.

Crystalline Flow - 5
I gave this a 5 because it felt so perfectly average to me. The basic framework of a traditional RPG hold is there but it has a lot of very linear parts and feels like a series of almost independent mini-decisions in each room, rather than the all-encompassing adventure that RPG wants to be. This felt a lot like Xindaris's standalone release "Throw" and I imagine it was built similarly.

The Heist - 10
So of course this was my entry, so this will be more developer's commentary. One of my favourite RPG holds, Castle Repton, finally went ahead and let players use accessories freely instead of using them for some dumb "exchange chain" that means you can't actually use them for much else. Then in my own speed-architecture hold Goblin King's Fortress, I decided to also just throw in two accessories with no plan of how they would work out, and it turned out pretty well. So I had it in my head that I wanted to explore more with accessories, give people tons of freedom with accessories and see how things turned out, but first there had to be a decent interface for it. One of the issues with traditional inventories is the way they force you to leave the room, so some fun combos can become impossible, particularly with the potions. Eventually I had the idea to cycle between them with special command, and then we were off.

Anyway, it turns out that giving the player multiple copies of each accessory is pretty nuts, you can basically skip pretty much any barrier with some combination, so the traditional ideas of progression had to be thrown out of the window. How do you make a satisfying and balanced boss when there are so many ways to either jump past it, or trivialise the combat? And if using accessories is the gimmick of the hold, then disabling accessories for the boss is just lame. So the whole "final boss" structure had to go. This gave rise to the idea of the hold being a score attack, where you just achieved the most stuff that you could and then leave at any time. I think the idea works well, but am worried that some people that don't like to optimise will find the lack of a defined goal off-putting. We'll see how that goes.

Designing the rooms for this entry was hard. How do you balance decisions when some accessories or accessory combos will let you clean out the entire room? In the end in order to ensure the focus remained on the accessories there was no option other than to make the regular resources really scarce. This is why monsters are tough, there is only a single health potion in the entire hold, and there are so many doors. I wanted hand bombs to be something you wanted to use on regular enemies, therefore they had to be hard. I think only being able to take on 4-5 monsters until you are pretty much out of health will be a shock to many on their first playthrough, but there are lots of ways to deal with this if you get creative with your accessories, and the enemy stats are designed specifically around the gems you have, the marble golem starts of super hard to encourage you to bomb him, but is free once you collect all of the attack, and likewise the guard man becomes free when you have all of the defense. The Security drone specifically is largely immune to attack and gets down to two-hit range fairly fast to make the speed or invisibility potions very rewarding on them while always being a bit of a roadblock regardless of stats. And so on. In the end some rooms were designed with specific accessory gimmicks in mind, I'm not sure if I'm happy with that or not, this entry gets a lot easier when you figure out certain obscure accessory tricks that you never have to use in any other hold, but that's just how it is. A fun design problem: I wanted to give the player one blue key and have it be used to either skip one of the treasure guardians, or cash it in for a load of cash, but given you get multiple portable orbs, I struggled for a while to make it work out. In the end the solution was that you can't raise doors with the portable orb, so you can raise a blue door to cut a fuse to blow up the treasure guardian. Probably not all that amazing given how many other ways you can skip them, but I thought this was cool.

Overall I'm really happy with how this turned out. you never get to play around with accessories like this and they are a ton of fun. I really enjoyed trying to break my own rooms and see what you can do. If I make another full hold I'll definitely be looking at making something that uses accessories more, but certainly not quite to this extent. Maybe the backpack can come along for the ride...

Suprematism of Health - 4
Sounds cool on paper but honestly there's just not really much going on here. It was pretty easy to solve, but bonus points for all the commentary at the end, it was fun to read. Not a terribly exciting entry.

In Your Atmosphere - 7
I didn't play this for ages because it felt so intimidating, but when I finally took the plunge it was pretty straightforward. The rooms could have done with being pre-revealed. This looked and felt super-tough at first, but in the end getting all of the free stats and keys by heading the long way round to the boss then going back ended up being really strong, there aren't enough keys on the West side, and the trades are better when you go the long way round too, not just free stats but you get e.g. 2 stats for killing a Roach or Wraithwing instead of one, so I think it all checks out. Washed Ashore has a scorepoint based entirely on turncount, but the implementation of 1 HP per move and not having to worry about turning your sword works out so much better as it has a cool impact on the regular gameplay. As always, the really strong and cool sci-fi theming that Lucky Luc is really good at is wonderful. I think this entry could be better balanced, but in some ways I was thankful it wasn't too well balanced because it's pretty tough to get over the initial worry of how you're going to keep your health up.

Too Many Scorepoints - 2
Obvious troll entry with the sort of "ZOMG!!!111one XD" theming that makes me roll my eyes but the concept did make me laugh, so it gets an extra score. This will do funny things to the player standings on the leaderboards, but nobody cares about them anyway :(

Amplified Arena - 8
A great entry that also happens to mess around with the multiplier, but with an interesting twist. This entry was balanced well, and the gimmick fit in well with a more traditional gameplay style that I enjoy. It encouraged the sort of gameplay you get with an altar but to a lesser extent, and I think it fit in well with the small entry limitations that this contest encouraged. You always want to try and encourage people to make fighting harder for better payoff later, and this entry just implements that idea in the most direct way possible, and it works. Between this, Exponentiate! and Perfect Cherry Blossom from the previous Year of RPG contest, there is a lot of mileage you can get out of playing around with the multiplier. Bonus points for RPGs first custom tarstuff mother.

Doppelganger - 6
Another very conceptual entry from skell, but this one was a lot more fun. Like the mimic blade from Washed Ashore, inheriting the stats of other enemies is a cool gimmick that encourages a unique playstyle. While I appreciated the small and focused nature of this entry, I think this is something that could do with being expanded into a more traditional choice and progression structure, rather than a simple math puzzle.

Castle Repton Annex - 6
I sung the praises of the original Castle Repton standalone release in the comments of my own entry, so I was very excited to play this and was sadly disappointed. While I think Nuntar has done well with the layout gimmick he uses for this and Castle Repton, the particular progression and gameplay of this entry was just wierd and I didn't enjoy it as much. I had almost written it off as having some sort of mistake at the beginning because of the insane gauntlet that makes up most of the first level where you can't do much in the way of stats and everything is pain. The fact that you are one attack gem off of making a bunch of enemies free at the end, with the last 4 or 5 attack gems doing absolutely nothing against any monster is quite sad, sure they are worth points, but it left me a bit unsatisfied towards the end. I still enjoyed my time here and it kept me occupied, but it just didn't feel right. Too many pirate swords rather than more interesting fighting decisions.

NotRPG: Unbottled Cellar - 3
Regular DROD puzzles in RPG is my pet peeve so things were never going to go well for this entry. It's just so much worse to try and play these sorts of puzzles in RPG. The way it feels you can permanently mess up the mimic puzzles just by walking through the rooms to get to another entry really blows. This was the only entry I never bothered to beat.

[Last edited by kieranmillar at 10-25-2018 05:53 AM]
10-22-2018 at 11:02 PM
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720
icon Re: 2018 Year of RPG: Voting (+1)  
I just replayed through In Your Atmosphere. I was curious if it was possible to beat while being a "good captain" (i.e. not raiding my crewmate's room for supplies at the beginning) and it was. I feel that health is generous enough in this entry that there wouldn't really be much point in making this a separate scorepoint in the eventual compilation release (you're basically just starting with 400 less HP this way and the level itself doesn't play out much differently the way I did it), but I thought I'd mention it to see if other people had opinions on this.

10-27-2018 at 06:44 AM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
icon Re: 2018 Year of RPG: Voting (+2)  
10-30-2018 at 02:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Just over 25 hours remain. Get those votes in!
10-30-2018 at 01:37 PM
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720
I probably should have posted this earlier:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2vW3p2ZL0YQseOBHyCBm6-9uaUbaKOV-

This is a playlist of my LP of all the contest entries. I won't be doing written comments, but I will say that even the "bad" entries weren't unpleasant. I enjoyed playing through all of them.

10-31-2018 at 02:42 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624

File: 2018rpg_chaco_comments.txt (17.5 KB)
Downloaded 62 times.
License: Public Domain
And, as usual, after the poll closes here's my own comments.

Looking forward to reading everything as usual; it'll be interesting to see what everybody *disagrees* on!

10-31-2018 at 03:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Big congratualtions to all our winners, and also a round of applause to everyone who took part. The entries were all excellent. Thanks to all who submitted entries.

Winning the contest with what has turned out to be the single highest scoring entry of any contest held in this forum at a whopping 9.6 is The Hostile Hotel by Nuntar! This also had the lowest standard deviation of all of the entries, so it was universally agreed to be excellent. You win 100 rank points and your pick from the Prize Pile!

In second place with a score of 8.9 is The Heist by kieranmillar! Wait, that's me, and I blocked myself from winning any prizes from my own contest, so let's skip past me and move on.

In third place with 8.7 is Exponentiate! by Xindaris! You win the second place prize of 50 points.

In fourth place with 8.3 is Amplified Arena by hyperme! You win the third place prize of 25 points.

Here are the other entries:
5th - 7.6 - In Your Atmosphere by Lucky Luc
=6th - 7.2 - NotRPG: Unbottled Cellar by mauvebutterfly
=6th - 7.2 - Suprematism of Health by skell
8th - 7.1 - Crystalline Flow by Xindaris
9th - 6.8 - Castle Repton Annex by Nuntar
=10th - 6.5 - Too Many Scorepoints by Xindaris
=10th - 6.5 - Doppelganger by skell
10-31-2018 at 05:27 PM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4590
I managed to beat everything except "In Your Atmosphere" during the voting period. Comments on all entries:

10-31-2018 at 06:06 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : 2018 Year of RPG: Voting (A multiple question poll)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com