Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Troll Hold: The Compilation
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
uncopy2002
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 431
IP: Logged

File: Troll hold Compilation.hold (3.9 MB)
Downloaded 50 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Troll Hold: The Compilation (+2)  
In the beginning DROD players created the troll hold contest and troll holds.
And the holds were without polish, and unfun; and evilness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of a delver moved upon the face of the holds.
And he said, Let there be compilation: and there was compilation.

What? Troll hold compilation in April's Fools? It's more likely than you think.

The troll hold compilation is finally here, after the painstaking progress of going through all of them and getting the editing rights! Now you can enjoy(?) the trolliness by just downloading one hold.
There are various improvements, including solution scrolls and pics for some entries and rooms that should help all the poor souls. I did preserved the original levels, though, the improvements shouldn't affect the puzzles at all.

Before we can consider promoting this compilation, I'd like to ask a few questions:
1. Should I add checkpoints to some checkpointless rooms, especially Kalin's entry?
2. Are there any bugs I overlooked? :(
3. Are there anything else to add, like solution scrolls to more of the rooms?

Also, I'd like to take a chance here to suggest to end the voting period now, if nobody objects. ;)

EDIT: Fixed typo on one of the entry's name

EDIT2: Fixed a bunch of things. See below for fixlog

[Last edited by uncopy2002 at 04-03-2016 03:40 PM]
03-31-2016 at 06:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
uncopy2002
icon Re: Troll Hold: The Compilation (0)  
Anyways, and here is my list of which hold you should check out in this contest:

Click here to view the secret text

03-31-2016 at 07:06 PM
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
I've moved this thread to architecture, since it's a compilation and it's a hold so it makes more sense this way :).

Thanks for compiling it, I'll take a look at it later!

03-31-2016 at 07:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Red-XIII
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 618
I believe that my entry "You just got trolled" 1W is broken, I can't solve it anymore because:

I'm happy to add checkpoints in some of my rooms but you should put this anyone edit, so that everyone can see through his own hold freely and modify it.

By the way, that's a terrific artwork, it's really stunning!

03-31-2016 at 07:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
uncopy2002
Red-XIII wrote:
I believe that my entry "You just got trolled" 1W is broken, I can't solve it anymore because:

I'm happy to add checkpoints in some of my rooms but you should put this anyone edit, so that everyone can see through his own hold freely and modify it.

By the way, that's a terrific artwork, it's really stunning!

Hmm, yeah, for some reason copying level across holds make all characters set as not visible. I've fixed that in Trolls, but not in your entry. I don't think it'll affect anything, though, since it's still there, just being invisible.

The hold is "conqueror-only" in the sense that Cheap Tricks compilation is conqueror-only: You can conquer the hold without going into any entries at all.

[Last edited by uncopy2002 at 03-31-2016 07:35 PM]
03-31-2016 at 07:32 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
The Hall of Challenges seems to have a bug in its challenge scripting:

The challenges "Complete a Challenge", "Complete Ten Challenges", etc. wait for the challenge count to be exactly equal to 1, 10, 25, and 50. Since it's possible to get more than one challenge awarded on a single turn, it's possible to miss these challenges entirely and thus not be able to complete the hold.

Therefore, they should probably be fixed to award if you get *at least* those numbers, rather than *exactly* those numbers.

03-31-2016 at 08:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Keiya
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 73
The method for hiding the additional hints in Keiya's entry is quite good, and I'm sure that if she didn't have to hide her new identity, she'd thank you for moving that script for her.

Official Hold Progress:

04-01-2016 at 11:13 PM
uncopy2002
Keiya wrote:
The method for hiding the additional hints in Keiya's entry is quite good, and I'm sure that if she didn't have to hide her new identity, she'd thank you for moving that script for her.

That's the case if you luckily have a few rooms which I thought of a clever way to put in hints.
04-02-2016 at 07:50 AM
Lucky Luc
Rank Points: 1215
Thanks for doing this! Actually, had I known you were planning this, I would've gladly sent you an anyone edit version of my entry :blush

Speaking that, it seems like there were some problems copying the hold. First, Dungo doesn't appear anymore, which is probably for the same reason as Red-XIII's entry. Second, it seems like the transparent overhead images / custom pits / floors / ... don't work anymore, which is especially notable in Medium 1E. The room is probably actually more fun like this :P But for accuracy's sake, it would be cool if you could fix this.
04-02-2016 at 12:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
BlueFlower
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 156
Wow.

Thanks fellow peoples for making a compilation of my contest. Had I been given six years, I could've made a compilation.

04-02-2016 at 07:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2379
icon Re: Troll Hold: The Compilation (+1)  
Respectfully, in the future it would be good practice if you're holding a contest:

- you should make sure the entries are anonymized for voting;
- you should make a clear deadline for votes to be in by;
- you should designate a person to create the compilation at the end of the voting period submission period;

If you're not able to do these things, then perhaps someone else should host the contest.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.

[Last edited by disoriented at 04-03-2016 04:26 PM]
04-02-2016 at 07:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
LeoS
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 276
Thanks for compiling! And also thanks for correcting the (unintentional) spelling error in my hold's title (vault became vauld) while leaving in my intentional one. Incidentally, this is the second time a contest entry of mine had a T transposed into a D (Infested Locket became Infested Locked, which would be kinda poetic if there was a comma). Hmm.

I did notice that the scroll that leads to Chaco's Hold needs fixing: "Two rooms in this entry is unclearable. It's changed to non-required in this compilation." Change 'is' to 'are' and 'It's' to 'They're'.

Having this compilation available before I voted would definitely have affected at least three entries' scores (two pos one neg) as once I got stuck in an entry I had the easy out of saying well maybe I'm just being trolled and thus not exploring further. This compilation lets us delve into the inner insane workings of the entries, revealing just how much thought and care we put into trolling one another. :D

04-02-2016 at 10:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
uncopy2002
I just posted a update to the compilation hold.

Fixes:

04-03-2016 at 03:39 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Troll Hold: The Compilation
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No