Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Bugs : Making "personal copies" of large holds sometimes messes up level entrances (Inconsistent)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3623
IP: Logged
icon Making "personal copies" of large holds sometimes messes up level entrances (+2)  
Sometimes, when making a personal copy of a hold you have editing rights to (e.g. having editing rights to "Test Hold", then editing something, saying Yes to "Do you want to make a modified copy of the hold for yourself?", and thus obtaining "Leylite's Test Hold"), staircases will point to other level entrances (or invalid ones / End Hold ones), as will "Go to Level Entrance" script commands.

This seems to happen more often in larger holds with many levels, level entrances and/or custom characters, such as Fetch the Pie or RPG Hold Anonymous 3; I haven't been able to figure out how to get it to happen on purpose in a small test hold yet.

Pearls mentioned in chat that some similar fixes were fixed for the DROD engine when he was working on DROD History Month, and that "those changes hadn't been ported over to DROD RPG"; I'm not sure what he means by that.

[Last edited by Chaco at 02-27-2016 04:54 PM]
02-27-2016 at 04:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5054
icon Re: Making "personal copies" of large holds sometimes messes up level entrances (0)  
Thanks for reporting this!

I think this description of the issue makes sense to me. I thought I had ported over all the 5.0 fixes, but I've apparently missed at least one. I'll look into it.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
02-27-2016 at 07:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
icon Re: Making "personal copies" of large holds sometimes messes up level entrances (0)  
Chaco wrote:
Sometimes, when making a personal copy of a hold you have editing rights to (e.g. having editing rights to "Test Hold", then editing something, saying Yes to "Do you want to make a modified copy of the hold for yourself?", and thus obtaining "Leylite's Test Hold"), staircases will point to other level entrances (or invalid ones / End Hold ones), as will "Go to Level Entrance" script commands.

This seems to happen more often in larger holds with many levels, level entrances and/or custom characters, such as Fetch the Pie or RPG Hold Anonymous 3; I haven't been able to figure out how to get it to happen on purpose in a small test hold yet.

Pearls mentioned in chat that some similar fixes were fixed for the DROD engine when he was working on DROD History Month, and that "those changes hadn't been ported over to DROD RPG"; I'm not sure what he means by that.
What version of the game are you using?

02-28-2016 at 05:53 PM
mrimer
I've reviewed code changes and I *think* that hold copy fixes have actually all been ported to DROD RPG already. I noticed a bunch of refactoring has been done for 5.0, with some potential import fixes, so I'll migrate those improvements to RPG's codebase.

I'll try to reproduce the issue by making a copy of Fetch the Pie which, I must say, is an amazing creation. Looking forward to the time the hold can be published!

[Last edited by mrimer at 02-28-2016 06:51 PM]
02-28-2016 at 06:51 PM
Chaco
mrimer wrote:
What version of the game are you using?

I can't speak for everyone else, but I'm using DROD RPG 1.2.4.218 (non-Steam version).

I'll try to reproduce the issue by making a copy of Fetch the Pie which, I must say, is an amazing creation. Looking forward to the time the hold can be published!

I'm hoping I can figure out some way to get a smaller test hold "working" to reliably demonstrate the problem. Thanks for the kind words; I'm going to try to make a final push over the next couple of weeks to get a release candidate ready.

[Last edited by Chaco at 02-28-2016 06:54 PM]
02-28-2016 at 06:54 PM
mrimer
Thanks for the info. Okay, I have been able to reproduce the issue. Investigating further...

I also found an RPG-specific hold character speech bug on hold copy, causing some assertion failures and maybe buggy speech sound data. Fixed in rev 246.

02-29-2016 at 12:21 AM
mrimer
icon Re: Making "personal copies" of large holds sometimes messes up level entrances (+1)  
I've isolated the issue. Wow...basically, there was some mess in remapping level exits. It is a bohr bug that is hard to explain, but it manifests when levels and entrances are ordered (reordered?) in certain patterns and then the hold is copied. My apologies for all the inconvenience this issue has caused.

I think I've fixed it (rev 247). In my test, a copy of Fetch the Pie appeared to have all the level exits and scripted level warps remaining intact. Would you please carefully verify hold copying now works for you in the next patch I post?

Also found a minor-to-medium storage leak in the text.dat file where the level entrance texts were not being deleted when a hold gets deleted.

These issues are actually also present in DROD 5.1 at this point, as far as I can tell, so I'll be migrating these fixes to the DROD 5.1 RC (rev 6487).

[Last edited by mrimer at 02-29-2016 07:34 AM]
02-29-2016 at 07:14 AM
mrimer
Chaco, can you confirm the 1.2.6.247+ patch fixes the hold copy issues you've experienced?

03-04-2016 at 05:17 AM
Chaco
mrimer wrote:
Chaco, can you confirm the 1.2.6.247+ patch fixes the hold copy issues you've experienced?

Hi,

I haven't figured out a good way to patch my game yet since I don't have a Windows machine on me at the moment. Running the Windows patch (using WINE) on the Mac version of the game sounds like a bad idea.

Could you make a Mac version of the 1.2.6 patch for me, pretty please? :)

03-04-2016 at 02:06 PM
mrimer
Oh, okay. I don't know how to make Mac patches, but I'll provide a new Mac version asap.

03-04-2016 at 07:14 PM
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2668
icon Re: Making "personal copies" of large holds sometimes messes up level entrances (+2)  
I made my own copy of Fetch the Pie in 1.2.6.253, and checked a whole bunch of level entrance and exits, but not all of them because there's loads and I don't know if I found them all anyway.

It seems OK barring one error: level exits that were previously set to return to the previous entrance seem to have all been consistently changed to end the hold, which is not right.

[Last edited by kieranmillar at 03-04-2016 09:51 PM]
03-04-2016 at 09:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
kieranmillar wrote:
It seems OK barring one error: level exits that were previously set to return to the previous entrance seem to have all been consistently changed to end the hold, which is not right.
Thanks for verifying and for catching this case! You're absolutely right -- I missed this one for both stairs and warp script commands.

Fixed in rev 257.

03-05-2016 at 05:57 AM
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2668
icon Re: Making "personal copies" of large holds sometimes messes up level entrances (+1)  
Made another copy of Fetch The Pie in 1.2.6.260 and tried a random selection of level exits, can confirm that the Return to Previous Entrance issue is fixed, and the other exits all appeared to be correct. :thumbsup
03-05-2016 at 08:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Thank you! :)

03-05-2016 at 11:05 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Bugs : Making "personal copies" of large holds sometimes messes up level entrances (Inconsistent)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com