Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : The Suicidal Guard (A failure of the guard's non-bomb stabbing logic)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
kieranmillar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2671
IP: Logged

File: Suicidal Guard.hold (916 bytes)
Downloaded 39 times.
License: Public Domain
icon The Suicidal Guard (0)  
Normally guards will refuse to stab bombs or each other as their highest priority. However it turns out that a guard sitting on a patch of oremites with every one of the 8 directions resulting in a move that will stab a bomb/keg or one of his guard friends will result in him standing still, as expected.... until you get close in which case he will immediately move off of the oremites and stab something he shouldn't.

The attached hold showcases this behaviour. Note how the only way to approach the guard is to point your sword onto a space that he wants to move onto, thereby blocking him. If you disarm yourself with the provided token, you can't get close with dying to a keg explosion. In the bottom half of the room if you approach with a sword you can move in a way that results in a guard stabbing another guard.
09-01-2015 at 11:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
robin
Rank Points: 842
icon Re: The Suicidal Guard (0)  
I think that this behaviour was (sort of) used in Finding The First Truth: Guard Level 1N1E.
Where it's intended a guard hits a bomb

09-02-2015 at 09:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
robin wrote:
I think that this behaviour was (sort of) used in Finding The First Truth: Guard Level 1N1E.
Where it's intended a guard hits a bomb

That room is kind of different from this one, because Guard Level 1N1E relies on the fact that a guard always considers waiting in place a safe move.

This bug hold just shows that guards will always try to make a move that would kill Beethro if they had a sword, even if they're on oremites. The bug/feature here is that they don't take into account whatever they might be stabbing if their move takes them off oremites.

I have a feeling this logic was discussed before, but maybe this bug resurfaced as a result of the upcoming dagger AI?

09-02-2015 at 01:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
blorx1
Rank Points: 920
There have a been a couple rooms that I've played where it has been possible to kill guards in similar ways. (one was in a boyblue hold somewhere)

Because of this, I really don't want this to change without *extremely* careful consideration of things because not only does it prevent certain options, it also opens new ones up (where moving would have resulted in your death by guard-bomb stabbing), which is an enormous risk to breaking rooms.

I'll try to find the room in question, but I'd be very wary of touching anything with this behavior.

Edit: the room is: The halls of miscellany: Level 3: 1S1E

[Last edited by blorx1 at 09-02-2015 02:00 PM]
09-02-2015 at 01:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5064
This seems like a logic oversight, but I'm not sure we should change anything here either.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
12-10-2015 at 01:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: The Suicidal Guard (+1)  
Agreed. I think we should just leave it be, Guards were always overbaked cookies if you catch my drift.

12-10-2015 at 11:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : The Suicidal Guard (A failure of the guard's non-bomb stabbing logic)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com