Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : All DROD files in one folder - Portable DROD?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ebenezer
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 18
IP: Logged
icon All DROD files in one folder - Portable DROD? (0)  
Hi, I've just reinstalled system and have to download again all finished holds.

Is is possible to have all DROD files (game, holds, hold progress) in one place for example in a cloud storage and launch DROD from that place? It would be kind of portable installation.

Or mayby is it possible to zip DROD folder before changing system and uzip it after installing new one?

Thank you in advance for explaing this matter :)

04-05-2014 at 01:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
robin
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 842
icon Re: All DROD files in one folder - Portable DROD? (0)  
There is a ".dat"-file somewhere that does excatly what you ask for.
But I forgot which one. So if someone is so kind to tell us :D

04-05-2014 at 02:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
ebenezer
Robin, is it a "Hint"? :)
Maybe I should post at Hint And Solutions... ;)

04-05-2014 at 02:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
robin
Rank Points: 842
It's no hint, I realy forgot and I'm not in reach of a computer, so I can't search on it.
So an admin could help and tell us.

04-05-2014 at 03:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
ebenezer
Ok, I was only joking... ;-)

Waiting for an advise.... :sleeping
04-05-2014 at 03:11 PM
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129
icon Re: All DROD files in one folder - Portable DROD? (+1)  
Create a file called datapath.txt in your main DROD folder with the following contents:
.\Data;.\Data;
and start up DROD, that will put all the data files in the main DROD folder instead of the default location (which I don't remember exactly where it is).

(related: would it be easy to make the TSS installer have a checkbox for a portable installation?)

04-05-2014 at 03:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
You can - I have my DROD installed in Dropbox currently. The only things you need to do are move the Data folder to your main install folder (On Win7 and up, your Data folder is usually in C:\ProgramData\), and then create a DataPath.txt file in your main install that has the following in it:
.\Data;.\Data;

04-05-2014 at 03:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ebenezer
I got it, but the folder at \ProgramData\Caravel is:

drod-4_0 not: Data

while there is a folder named: Data at main installation folder.

So, what to do with it?
Pasting drod-4_0 to main DROD 4 folder with datapath.txt doesn't work.

04-05-2014 at 03:45 PM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
Post collision

I'm not really clear on what you're asking.

Can you have all the relevant files in one place, or one zip file, that you can transfer from one computer to another? Yes.

Just be aware that windows vista, and maybe other versions of windows, stores save files and other data in a separate programdata folder. And make sure drod.ini has the right data path.

You can also export your player and demos and reimport into another installation.

[Last edited by Jacob at 04-05-2014 03:50 PM]
04-05-2014 at 03:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ebenezer
I've done it :thumbsup

As you've said one have to:
1. create datapath.txt in main DROD 4 folder
2. copy/override files from \ProgramData\Caravel\drod-4_0 to folder Data in main DROD 4 folder

Thank you for your help!

04-05-2014 at 03:50 PM
ebenezer
Jacob wrote:

I'm not really clear on what you're asking.

Other guys new what I was asking ;-)
I know about saving and importing player an saved games but
I didn't know about separate folders on newer system that's why I asked! You've said I can have one zip but I needed explanation HOW not that I CAN.

If this is not right subforum, please forgive me.

04-05-2014 at 04:04 PM
karlpopper
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 263
I manage to run two DROD installations on different machines and have them sync up via Dropbox.

The way I've done it is slightly redundant, because I keep the whole of the data directory up on dropbox.com.

By observation, I see that only the files: player.dat, save.dat, text.dat, hold.dat and data.dat are changed during gameplay, but I'm storing the 115MB main hold data file statically on dropbox.

The extra trick I use to keep DROD and dropbox separated is a symlink. This example is for Windows, running in an administraor shell from the DROD install directory:
0. Create datapath.txt as in previous posts.

1. Move the DROD data directory to your dropbox folder

2. create a symlink 
mklink /d Data c:\Users\Karl\Dropbox\Software\Caravel\Engine\Data
Now each DROD installation is sharing the same data, everytime dropbox syncs. Be careful, however, not to run both installations at the same time, because collisions aren't handled gracefully.

This works really well if DROD installed on your desktop and your laptop (I usually plug a full-size keyboard into the laptop so I don't have to change keyboard layouts).

Another occasionally useful feature of this installation style is if you ever get really stuck, and are prepared to single step through a long demo room.

To do this, you turn off dropbox syncing on one installation, and use this one to setup to replay a demo.

Then play the real thing on the main machine: this is all a bit fiddly to set up, but when you need it, this is all a small price to pay.

Game On.

[Last edited by karlpopper at 04-05-2014 07:43 PM]
04-05-2014 at 07:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : All DROD files in one folder - Portable DROD?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com