Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Holds : Deadly Choices of Death (None specific)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

8.7/10 (7 votes)
σ 0.70
Author Name:Red-XIII
Submitted By:Red-XIII
Hold Name:Deadly Choices of Death
Theme:None specific
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:4
Number of Rooms:78
Number of Monsters:594
Version:DROD RPG: Tendry's Tale (1.2)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:4 (+4 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Deadly Choices of Death.drh (20.6 KB)
Downloaded 486 times.
License: Other
icon Deadly Choices of Death  
This is an easy-medium hold which should keep you busy a couple hours, hopefully having a good time.
There is no story, I just focused on putting as many choices as possible to give a large amount of optimization.

Big thanks to Someone Else, Midootje, Nuntar and Gordius for testing the hold!
03-20-2014 at 06:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3623
icon Re: Deadly Choices of Death (+2)  
This is a fairly straightforward DROD: RPG hold, very similar to Tendry's Tale. You've got a set of levels to complete, each with an end-level boss, and it's up to you to optimize enough to beat them.

One thing unique to this hold is that each level is self-contained - when you beat level 1 and move on to level 2, there's no staircase back. This is an interesting change in gameplay, and I think works fairly well. First, it helps combat the unstable equilibrium where people leave powerups behind in old levels, become really powerful, and then come back to pick up powerups or keys for free. Second, it helps keep each level self-contained, so you have less to think about at any one time - all the available decisions are available to see on the mini-map, and you don't have to keep track of unseen levels.

Overall, I think the difficulty here is just right. As seems to be a tradition, there's a normal final boss for people who just want to see the hold layout, and a super-boss for people who want a challenge. That said, there's a lot of leeway in this hold and you can actually kill the super-boss without even using all the accessories that are available.

So, good work! There's definitely room for more holds like this one.

03-20-2014 at 06:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
icon Re: Deadly Choices of Death (+3)  
Conquered! With secret boss slain as well :)

Really enjoyed this hold.

+

Challenges are well balanced even though you get extremely strong towards the end if you manage to get all the gem pickups.

Having the levels be non-backtrack-able works well for me as it allows me to completely move my focus over to the new level entered. I felt there was some fun choices involved with this as well as it was fun to try to guess for example what the worth of a yellow key would be in terms of health later on.

The hold features no altars (power buying machines), no hot tiles, no aumtlichs, no lucky blades and no moving enemies which makes me very happy. I feel these elements often hinder exploration, and encourage extreme micromanagement of your resources in a game that is already heavy on resource management and exploration.

-

Greckles accumulated quickly and I felt I didn't even have to consider ever not spending greckles freely. There was one point where an interesting choice came up that let you spend a large amount of greckles to revisit an area now locked off, but the way the level was set up it didn't feel like it could bring much value unfortunately.

The worth of yellow vs green keys was pretty stable for the first three levels I felt, but in the final two levels you were able to get extreme amounts of health for a yellow key which made me end up with a surplus of green keys and too few yellow; which felt weird as I was now punished for continuing the prioritizing that the first three levels rewarded me for.

[Last edited by Rheb at 03-24-2014 01:21 AM]
03-24-2014 at 01:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2668
I just beat this hold and wanted to say that I thought it was excellent. I had a lot of fun.

The opening of the first level is pretty tricky to make progress on and get the sword without dying, but once you've found your feet the rest of the hold goes much more smoothly. I loved that each level was self-contained and did not allow backtracking as it removed the extended "clean up" phases that typically get in the way of the action. Also the lack of the typical accessory "rat race" gives you the freedom to actually use any accessories you might come across, although there aren't many of them.

All in all, definitely one of the top RPG holds published so far.
08-08-2014 at 06:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
icon Re: Deadly Choices of Death (+1)  
Well... I have to disagree with you gyus (especially Rheb). Not about the quality of the hold, it was great, but about some other stuff. I love being able to backtrack, and I missed it in this hold. I did think the greckles was well balanced up until the third level, and I actually did use the backtracking door. And I had no problem with the balance of green and yellow keys. As long as I played by the rules 1) always get power-ups, 2) green key = 2 yellow keys = 800 HP,everything was fine.

Thanks for producing this hold! :)
10-25-2014 at 01:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lucky Luc
Rank Points: 1215
So, given the steam release and stuff, I've decided to give this game another go (and I think I've gotten a bit better at it). This is one of the holds I've recently conquered, and it's really cool.

As the other reviewers mentioned, this hold doesn't allow backtracking into previous levels, and as the majority, I also really liked this concept and I'd like to see more holds using it. It's nice to just be done with a level and don't have to wonder about whether leaving something for later might be better. Also, this would justify things like aumtlich beams and hot tiles, which have become kind of discredited, since you can obviously instantly collect all potions in a level when you see there's none of the above.

I thought the first two levels were pretty tricky, but doing well there made the third level quite doable and the fourth level almost too easy. One thing that was particularly anti-climatic:
Click here to view the secret text

Still, I thought the hold was pretty well-balanced overall. I never really felt like I had a ridiculously large stock of anything, though I do agree with Rheb's criticisms.

So yeah, recommended.

[Last edited by Lucky Luc at 03-01-2016 06:29 PM]
03-01-2016 at 01:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Holds : Deadly Choices of Death (None specific) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com