Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Escape from Guard's base! (JtRH) (My first non-RPG hold!)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
gavgav123
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 34
IP: Logged

File: Escape from guards base.hold (16.6 KB)
Downloaded 74 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Escape from Guard's base! (JtRH) (+2)  
This is my first hold that is not RPG. Its currently done and tested.

If there are any bugs, loopholes, or impossible parts, please tell me via the comment section.:thumbsup

The story goes like this.

Beethro was clearing out a dungeon somewhere in dugandy. It was very small and didn't look like most dungeons. While he was unarmed (Through a few piles of oremites) an assassin came and captured him. He woke up in a cell and found his way to the main entrance, but no orb to open the door

UPDATES
Click here to view the secret text

please download and have fun! :)

[Last edited by gavgav123 at 02-05-2014 12:14 AM]
01-11-2014 at 04:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Red-XIII
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 618
icon Re: Escape from Guard's base! (JtRH) (+3)  
Mastered!
Overall this was pretty funny and pretty well done for being your first hold, here's some comments:

The prison: Pretty simple, I liked that I had to wait before clearing definitely some rooms but I hoped to see more rooms involving slayer since you used him in the hold. Also, secret room and 2S definitely needed a checkpoint.

The basement: Ok level, I liked that some rooms felt like KDD but 1N1E was pretty trivial.

The Towers: Best level in the hold, I really liked it, there are some nice and simple guard manipulation rooms. I'm afraid I broke 1S1E, I simply place the mimic and kill the guards without entering in the bomb maze. About 1S, maybe you could make the maze more hard, it was too trivial IMO.

All in all I enjoyed the hold though it's pretty simple. The only thing I didn't like is that there were no useful checkpoints, don't worry to "fill" the rooms with checkpoints because unless you have unlimited undo they are very helpful.

Nice job for your first hold!

01-11-2014 at 07:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4576
icon Re: Escape from Guard's base! (JtRH) (+2)  
For a first hold, this isn't bad at all. It's mostly just monster fighting, but in low numbers, with many rooms concentrating on a particular monster type -- the kind of thing that's good for beginners learning the tactics of DROD. Later, there are some decent guard manipulation puzzles.

The hold has an interesting structure, using the different coloured doors to ensure most rooms are only solvable from one entrance, so the player has to explore the prison and gradually unlock rooms. There's only ever really one choice at any stage, but I still felt this added to the atmosphere of the hold.

A few criticisms / suggestions for improvement:

* Prison: Entrance -- your scripted guard comes back after the room is cleared.

* Prison 2S makes you fight eleven guards in a confined space, which is considerably harder than anything else on the level, and it's only the fourth room. Perhaps have separate orbs for the two groups of guards, with the original version as a secret room?

* Checkpoints. Prison 2S and 1S1W, and all the puzzle rooms in Towers.

* Basement 1E -- mopping up the large mud blob is rather tedious.

* Basement 2N2E has an easy solution that may be unintended:

* Basement 1N1W is a bit silly. There's a large horde, but they can all be killed by standing in one place and hitting Q-W.

* Basement 3N -- It's not really that time-consuming. Yes, it took me 930 moves (for comparison, the infamous Abyssian Fortress 2N took me 1750) but as the steps of the solution were pretty obvious, it didn't take that long in terms of time. However, it was tedious to play this directly after a simpler form of the same room. Usually, when architects want to include easier and harder forms of the same room, they make the harder version a secret room.

01-11-2014 at 08:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
gavgav123
icon Re: Escape from Guard's base! (JtRH) (0)  
Nuntar wrote:
For a first hold, this isn't bad at all. It's mostly just monster fighting, but in low numbers, with many rooms concentrating on a particular monster type -- the kind of thing that's good for beginners learning the tactics of DROD. Later, there are some decent guard manipulation puzzles.

The hold has an interesting structure, using the different coloured doors to ensure most rooms are only solvable from one entrance, so the player has to explore the prison and gradually unlock rooms. There's only ever really one choice at any stage, but I still felt this added to the atmosphere of the hold.

A few criticisms / suggestions for improvement:

* Prison: Entrance -- your scripted guard comes back after the room is cleared.

* Prison 2S makes you fight eleven guards in a confined space, which is considerably harder than anything else on the level, and it's only the fourth room. Perhaps have separate orbs for the two groups of guards, with the original version as a secret room?

* Checkpoints. Prison 2S and 1S1W, and all the puzzle rooms in Towers.

* Basement 1E -- mopping up the large mud blob is rather tedious.

* Basement 2N2E has an easy solution that may be unintended:

* Basement 1N1W is a bit silly. There's a large horde, but they can all be killed by standing in one place and hitting Q-W.

* Basement 3N -- It's not really that time-consuming. Yes, it took me 930 moves (for comparison, the infamous Abyssian Fortress 2N took me 1750) but as the steps of the solution were pretty obvious, it didn't take that long in terms of time. However, it was tedious to play this directly after a simpler form of the same room. Usually, when architects want to include easier and harder forms of the same room, they make the harder version a secret room.

Thank you for the criticism! I greatly appreciate it ;).
01-11-2014 at 08:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gavgav123
Red-XIII wrote:
Mastered!
Overall this was pretty funny and pretty well done for being your first hold, here's some comments:

The prison: Pretty simple, I liked that I had to wait before clearing definitely some rooms but I hoped to see more rooms involving slayer since you used him in the hold. Also, secret room and 2S definitely needed a checkpoint.

The basement: Ok level, I liked that some rooms felt like KDD but 1N1E was pretty trivial.

The Towers: Best level in the hold, I really liked it, there are some nice and simple guard manipulation rooms. I'm afraid I broke 1S1E, I simply place the mimic and kill the guards without entering in the bomb maze. About 1S, maybe you could make the maze more hard, it was too trivial IMO.

All in all I enjoyed the hold though it's pretty simple. The only thing I didn't like is that there were no useful checkpoints, don't worry to "fill" the rooms with checkpoints because unless you have unlimited undo they are very helpful.

Nice job for your first hold!

Thanks! I really worked hard on this hold.
01-12-2014 at 03:29 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1299
Enjoyed it! One US that hasn't been mentioned yet: in The Towers 1S1E, your mimic can simply kill all the guards and you don't need to drop any trapdoors or hit any orbs.
01-12-2014 at 04:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
gavgav123
Someone Else wrote:
Enjoyed it! One US that hasn't been mentioned yet: in The Towers 1S1E, your mimic can simply kill all the guards and you don't need to drop any trapdoors or hit any orbs.

This was already mentioned, but thanks for noting it!
01-12-2014 at 05:22 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1299
Heh. Oops, missed that. :look
01-12-2014 at 10:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Panther
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 402
icon Re: Escape from Guard's base! (JtRH) (+1)  
Additional cleanup items to consider:

A good portion of the text in the game could use correction. Let me know if you'd like those cleanups.

First room (evil eye maze): it's a good idea to include sight tokens in rooms like this, as otherwise they can become very tedious and frustrating for the player.
01-15-2014 at 09:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3741
icon Re: Escape from Guard's base! (JtRH) (+1)  
Those aren't available til DROD 3 (tcb).

I would suggest updating the hold to drod 3 to enable this, and also because the entrance room would eork better with pressure plates

01-15-2014 at 10:39 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Escape from Guard's base! (JtRH) (My first non-RPG hold!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com