Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Alkan's Crypt (JTRH hold)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Red-XIII
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 623
IP: Logged
icon Alkan's Crypt (+1)  
Hi everyone, if you don't mind I'd like to do a little speech.
On 1/10 I'll start again university so the only time remaining for DroD will be posting and replying here on the forum; I won't be able to build much, that's why I began this hold, because next time I'll be able to build a lot will be next summer so I focused entirely on building this september. I was planning to end the hold before october but sadly I got problems. So I'll post the hold now otherwise it would have been posted on Christmas holiday.
The hold has a little (very little) story and it's completed about 80%; it needs some rooms on the last level and the whole mastery level; all the other levels are completed and ready to be tested.
I really hope you'll like this hold because I put everything I could into this and I need your help because I want this hold to be "perfect". To me perfect means that every guy that played it had fun that's why I'd like to be criticized for every thing that each of you won't like.

More info: the rooms are very variable, this means that you can find an easy room after an hard one; also some secret rooms are not hidden because I put them as challenges (not all of them thought)

Thanks for read this monologue and have fun playing :)

Edit: I'll always post the latest version here and on the latest post. LATEST UPDATE : No more

[Last edited by Red-XIII at 12-28-2012 10:17 AM]
09-25-2012 at 10:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Red-XIII
icon Re: Alkan's Crypt (0)  
Update:
4 rooms added to the level "the crypt"

09-26-2012 at 05:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
I've liked a lot of what I've played, but have come across some problems.

Prologue: No idea what the entrance text is about. "Clear" is spelled "cleat".
Entrance/1S - no-one likes arrows on room entrances, what are they for?
1S - Puzzle's quite good. No need for the three separate yellow doors if the orb behind the green door opens them all.
Liked the rest of the rooms on this level, but 1N1E is weird - why the secret walls I need to bash through to get to the puzzle? Why is the puzzle in the SW corner of the room?
You'll need a checkpoint somewhere in the puzzle section, rather than just in the entrance to it - it's annoying to do the first bit again and again.
Road to the Crypt - generally fine brained horde/snake rooms. Not much to say. Hitting the orb incessantly with a decoy may annoy some who play with sound on - might want to change this to a cracked orb in TCB.
Obligations and Subterraney are odd names for levels. The latter's not a word, for a start.
Potion Land 1W - two major points here. (1) It's possible to complete this room without leaving the entrance section (without crossing the tar at all). If this is intended, please put a checkpoint there, or add some more in places where the mimic will step. If not, you might want to change the room and to include it as a secret room variant. (2) Exiting W or S means you can't re-enter, and the hold is broke. I stopped playing here.
Looking at other rooms in the editor, I really didn't want to play Monsters Nest (which should have an apostrophe before or after the "s" depending on how many monsters it belongs to) since I'd had enough of brained horde management after level 2.

09-27-2012 at 09:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Red-XIII
Jacob wrote:
I've liked a lot of what I've played, but have come across some problems.

Prologue: No idea what the entrance text is about. "Clear" is spelled "cleat".
Entrance/1S - no-one likes arrows on room entrances, what are they for?

I put the arrows because if you go abck to the entrance the speech will start again ( I'm not so good in scripting and the R and T are near on the keyboard I mispelled it xD) the text is for a little story, if it's useless I will delete it.

1S - Puzzle's quite good. No need for the three separate yellow doors if the orb behind the green door opens them all.
Liked the rest of the rooms on this level, but 1N1E is weird - why the secret walls I need to bash through to get to the puzzle? Why is the puzzle in the SW corner of the room?
You'll need a checkpoint somewhere in the puzzle section, rather than just in the entrance to it - it's annoying to do the first bit again and again.

I see I'll fix this a bit
Road to the Crypt - generally fine brained horde/snake rooms. Not much to say. Hitting the orb incessantly with a decoy may annoy some who play with sound on - might want to change this to a cracked orb in TCB.

Obligations and Subterraney are odd names for levels. The latter's not a word, for a start.

I thought about that, sorry but I'm not so good in english I learned it on my own :(
But did you like those levels?

Potion Land 1W - two major points here. (1) It's possible to complete this room without leaving the entrance section (without crossing the tar at all).If this is intended, please put a checkpoint there, or add some more in places where the mimic will step. If not, you might want to change the room and to include it as a secret room variant. (2) Exiting W or S means you can't re-enter, and the hold is broke. I stopped playing here.

No you're supposed to use the other mimics to help you get to the invisibility potion; about the backtracking problem thanks for reporting I'll fix it. I'll add that solution as a secret room the current one as required.

Looking at other rooms in the editor, I really didn't want to play Monsters Nest (which should have an apostrophe before or after the "s" depending on how many monsters it belongs to) since I'd had enough of brained horde management after level 2

I Forgot about the apostrophe :(
EDIT: you did potion land 1W staying on the entrance because you used mud babies as a wall? or you simply used the arrows? I tried it too but I didn't make it.

[Last edited by Red-XIII at 09-27-2012 10:40 PM]
09-27-2012 at 10:07 PM
Red-XIII
Update: Layout of some rooms changed (mainly the ones that Jacob mentioned) and fixed backtracking problems.
EDIT: Added Larry Murk's advices too

[Last edited by Red-XIII at 09-27-2012 11:17 PM]
09-27-2012 at 10:37 PM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
Here are my comments.

Prologue seemed ok. Didn't try 2N1W w/ orthos, snakes and goblins (looks tough).

Road to Crypt looks fine. Maybe add checkpoints to 2N1E.

Monsters Nest all solved.

Obligations. Do you mean Orientations? I think you should put a save point on the trap door where the mimic hits the orb at the start of each room for easy restarting. I could only solve 1S:(

Potion Land.
1N- Bottom section seemed simple. Trap door section looks like you'd need mimic to hit trap doors near the roach. Annoying to do?
1W- I used Jacob's method. Stayed near entrance whole time.
1W1S- no idea.
1E- didn't try.

Subterraney.
Entr- Couldn't destroy tar and get tar baby to follow me to brain.
1N- Killed red snakes against edges using rattlers.
1N1E- Dunno how to kill ww after killing northern snake.
2N & 1E - ok hoard rooms.
2N1E- killed mud 1st then tar.

I guess that's all I checked out. Looking good mostly. Hopefully someone who can solve all the rooms will check it out!

09-27-2012 at 10:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Red-XIII
larrymurk wrote:
Here are my comments.

Obligations. Do you mean Orientations? I think you should put a save point on the trap door where the mimic hits the orb at the start of each room for easy restarting. I could only solve 1S:(

I followed your advice thanks; I think it's matter of keep trying :)

Potion Land.
1N- Bottom section seemed simple. Trap door section looks like you'd need mimic to hit trap doors near the roach. Annoying to do? Is really that annoying? I might change it :)

1W1S- no idea.
Click here to view the secret text
]

Subterraney.
Entr- Couldn't destroy tar and get tar baby to follow me to brain.
1N- Killed red snakes against edges using rattlers.
1N1E- Dunno how to kill ww after killing northern snake. ]

2N1E- killed mud 1st then tar. Yep that's the solution.
I guess that's all I checked out. Looking good mostly. Hopefully someone who can solve all the rooms will check it out!
Thanks for testing it :)

09-27-2012 at 11:12 PM
blorx1
Rank Points: 920
I decided to play through this hold, and it is pretty fun so far, but there are several things that need to be fixed. Please make sure that you only post updates in the original post, since I wasn't sure which version was the most recent.

Prologue:

Road to the crypt:

I'll add more comments for later levels as I go.
Also, you may want to get somebody(possibly Tahnan) to read through the text to check for errors.

[Last edited by blorx1 at 09-29-2012 05:31 PM]
09-29-2012 at 04:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Red-XIII
blorx1 wrote:
I decided to play through this hold, and it is pretty fun so far, but there are several things that need to be fixed. Please make sure that you only post updates in the original post, since I wasn't sure which version was the most recent.

Well I post the same version both at the beginning and at the end of the topic, so don't worry for the latest version, they both are :)

Prologue:

I'll add more comments for later levels as I go.

I fixed all the stuff you said in the prologue, thanks for reporting. Now there should not be any backtracking problem.

Also, you may want to get somebody(possibly Tahnan) to read through the text to check for errors.
I see, maybe I'll ask him this favor when the hold will be complete :)

EDIT: Fixed Road to the crypt too, I forgot to read the secret text...

[Last edited by Red-XIII at 09-29-2012 05:36 PM]
09-29-2012 at 05:28 PM
Red-XIII
blorx1 wrote:
Road to the crypt:
1W: I completed this room without using the wraithwing to kill the serpent at (35,4). Is this intended?

Well my intended solution was to kill the brain first and then kill the snake with thw WW. Probably you used a mud baby so it's still ok since it's probably harder :)

09-30-2012 at 04:27 PM
blorx1
I've played through Monster's Nest, Orientations, and potion land. Some of the rooms in the first two levels felt hack and slashey.
Monsters Nest:

Orientations:

Potion Land:

I stopped at basements, since the first room appears to be completely impossible. There is no way to kill the snake, and if there was it would involve trapping a tar baby in an unreachable space. You may wish to record a demo of each room and use that to see if it is possible.

09-30-2012 at 06:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Red-XIII
blorx1 wrote:
Orientations:

Well to kill the mimic with the decoy the mimic must stay on the trapdoor or you won't be able to put it; is it really possible to do all the room up to the mimic without going west?
About 1W, you did it without decoy?? Wow I never thought that was possible, nice!!!

I stopped at basements, since the first room appears to be completely impossible. There is no way to kill the snake, and if there was it would involve trapping a tar baby in an unreachable space. You may wish to record a demo of each room and use that to see if it is possible.
I see I forgot to put the green bars on the snake cage (in the very first version there was a scroll) but it's possible to kill the snake just as you said, it's a little tricky, here's the demo :)

09-30-2012 at 09:04 PM
blorx1
I've played through the level basements, which is pretty large.
Several things you may wish to note:
A lot of players will get stuck in the entrance, as I did to a minor extent. This means that many people will stop as soon without playing the rest of the level. Also, the puzzles in this level can be a bit harder than the other three, which may also dissuade some players.
Some comments:

About 1W in orientations. Killing the mimic is simple, since I can light a fuse, wait for the bomb to go off, and take the potion that is made availible.

10-06-2012 at 04:47 AM
Red-XIII
blorx1 wrote:
I've played through the level basements, which is pretty large.
Several things you may wish to note:
A lot of players will get stuck in the entrance, as I did to a minor extent. This means that many people will stop as soon without playing the rest of the level. Also, the puzzles in this level can be a bit harder than the other three, which may also dissuade some players.
Some comments:

All these suggestions will appear in the next version but for now I'll wait until all the rooms are played. I also started to build mastery floor but since some rooms might be moved I'll wait.
P.S. forgive my stupidity but I still can't figure out how to do orientations 1E by killing the mimic :(

10-06-2012 at 09:51 AM
blorx1

File: Ac Orientations 1W Victory.demo (1.7 KB)
Downloaded 40 times.
License: Public Domain
Some comments on the last level:

About the other concerns:
I've uploaded a demo for orientations 1W, but it is recorded in GatEB, so you will have to import the hold into GatEB to watch the demo.
I don't think you need to import the hold into TCB, I would reccomend changing it so that the bomb going off is required to leave the room, but not to conquer the room that way even if a player beats the timer by a lot then they get an efficient demo.
To deal with the secret you may want to only make it accessible from behind the exit area.

10-06-2012 at 05:22 PM
Red-XIII
blorx1 wrote:
Some comments on the last level:

10-07-2012 at 09:44 AM
blorx1
I looked at 2S1E again and although I originally did it with two, I managed to do it with only one EE, by walking in with the one evil eye still alive. I think it is fixable by adding a square to the goblin enclosure at (7,3).
At the moment there are some rooms that I've only played in the editor, meaning I can't be sure exactly if the checkpoint placement is correct. I'll be sure to look through later and check.

10-07-2012 at 02:48 PM
Red-XIII
Update: Almost all of blorx1 suggestions added.
I also created a new entrance to the level "The basements" and moved the other to the mastery level which I started building(includes a returning to the level "Prologue").

10-07-2012 at 03:57 PM
Red-XIII
Little update:
The basements 1N2E totally new.

10-13-2012 at 04:53 PM
Red-XIII
Hello again. Even if very slowly, I'm proceding on this hold.
I added 2 rooms in "The crypt" and more importantly I created 1N in mastery level.
About this room I need your help since I'm not a great player; I usually don't post rooms I never completed myself but this one I'd really like it to be like this. When you'll see it you'll understand what to do but I want to say my limit;
Is it possible to clear this room right now?
I put latest version also in the first topic.

10-27-2012 at 10:21 PM
blorx1
I beat two of the new rooms and I am absolutely convinced that 1N is not possible in its current state. Adding a pit at 12,13 would allow one to generate 4 tar babies and then kill all of the serpents, but because of the scrolls on the yellow doors the monsters will never come to you anyway. This is easily remedied by using a diagonal passageway and no scroll.

Rooms that could use checkpoints.
Crypt 1N2W: It may help to have another checkpoint in the trapdoor/serpent area.
Crypt 2W: Mabye put one on the trapdoor.
Crypt 1S2W: I think it could use a few more lying around somewhere.
Crypt 1W: One around 31,17 might be helpful.
Basements 1S: I would put some more around the mud/tar area.
Basements 1S1W: One under the decoy and one in the middle of the tarstuff area.
Basements 2N1E & 3N1E should have some more, since it is still annoying to only have one checkpoint that I don't use. (I would put some more nearer to the bombs.
Most of the horde management rooms on this level, and monsters' nest 1 North need more checkpoints. Potion land 1W and 2W could also use more checkpoints. You may want to take a look at orientations too, to see if it needs more checkpoints, since I don't remember how I felt about it after playing that level.

10-28-2012 at 03:22 AM
Red-XIII
Thanks for your advice. I added all the checkpoints you suggested and I checked the orientations, I think they are ok.
About mastery level 1N I thought a lot and came with this, now it's possible to clear the room, it took me over 2000 moves to test it but it's possible. Let me know what you think about it :)

10-28-2012 at 10:52 AM
Red-XIII
Hello again :)
Today I had free time so I decided to continue a bit on this hold. I only completed mastery level and added 2 puzzle.
Potion land Entrance had been modified, hope you'll like it
Potion Land 1S2W added.

About potion land entrance there's something I'd like to ask you...

11-16-2012 at 07:00 PM
blorx1
I've glanced at the mastery rooms and see no problems. I've also played the two new rooms. For potion land 1S2W I would recommend a checkpoint somewhere that is easily reachable after surviving the wraithwings, possibly right next to the orb. For the entrance I'm not really sure which solution is better, neither is particularly tough and I think either is fine, it would probably be fine if either was allowed.

11-16-2012 at 11:52 PM
Red-XIII
blorx1 wrote:
I've glanced at the mastery rooms and see no problems. I've also played the two new rooms. For potion land 1S2W I would recommend a checkpoint somewhere that is easily reachable after surviving the wraithwings, possibly right next to the orb. For the entrance I'm not really sure which solution is better, neither is particularly tough and I think either is fine, it would probably be fine if either was allowed.

I see I'll leave them both, thanks for your comment :)

11-17-2012 at 01:01 PM
Red-XIII
Hello :)
Back again on this hold with some updates:
The Crypt: I modified a bit the entrance and added a new puzzle on 1N1E.
I also modified some aesthetic stuff and some scrolls.
Perhaps I'll send this on HA for Christmas but I'm not sure if other puzzles are needed. Should I add other rooms?

11-30-2012 at 07:37 PM
komachi
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 158
Hi, I have been playing your hold recently and really like it. I pass the first and second level.
And, i have conquered the Monster's nest, about this level i don't enjoy too much the rooms that are full of snakes, the others rooms are very nice.
I'm playing the Orientations level, the rooms seems pretty good and I'm enjoying it.

11-30-2012 at 11:01 PM
Red-XIII
komachi wrote:
Hi, I have been playing your hold recently and really like it. I pass the first and second level.
And, i have conquered the Monster's nest, about this level i don't enjoy too much the rooms that are full of snakes, the others rooms are very nice.
I'm playing the Orientations level, the rooms seems pretty good and I'm enjoying it.

Thanks for your feedback! :)
To be honest, today I tried to change some rooms with too many snakes in something different but I failed; I'd like to design a puzzle that is mainly an hack and slash (in monster's nest) with snakes but that requires also a little trick; I agree with you it is a little boring with all these snakes so if you have an idea to improve some of these rooms I'd be glad to hear your advice :)

11-30-2012 at 11:10 PM
blorx1
I've quickly played through the two modified rooms. I like both of them and I think I'm doing the intended trick of getting a mud baby inside the snake area, by using the rattler. And then using the rattler to kill the eyes safely. I think a checkpoint on the down arrow entering the snake room might help.

11-30-2012 at 11:48 PM
Red-XIII
blorx1 wrote:
I've quickly played through the two modified rooms. I like both of them and I think I'm doing the intended trick of getting a mud baby inside the snake area, by using the rattler. And then using the rattler to kill the eyes safely. I think a checkpoint on the down arrow entering the snake room might help.

I'm glad you like them :)
Oh, and actually the intented solution was to kill the 2 eyes with the red snake so that you must keep him alive. Fortunately this can be fixed by adding a trapdoor on the force arrow; and I'll put a checkpoint there too, thanks!

12-01-2012 at 09:26 AM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Alkan's Crypt (JTRH hold)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com