Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Suwak0 prizes (Some rooms for pass the time)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Suwako
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 145
IP: Logged

File: Suwako Prizes.hold (27.6 KB)
Downloaded 38 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Suwak0 prizes (+3)  
A hold that i've made spending time doing something creative, opinions are apreciated,hope that you like the hold

[Last edited by Suwako at 01-05-2012 09:17 PM]
09-30-2011 at 02:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3623

File: chaco_notes_prizes.txt (2.8 KB)
Downloaded 36 times.
icon Re: Suwak0 prizes (0)  
Here's some detailed comments on each room in the first level. I will probably play this hold until I have completed it.

Judging from the first level only, I think this is a great hold - relatively easy difficulty, but by no means trivial, and some rooms are slight twists on familiar concepts. This hold seems like a great way to spend some time playing DROD, and I think this is exactly the kind of hold we need to have more of published on the Holds board.

It surprises me that the game of DROD has caught the attention of the Moriya Shrine.

09-30-2011 at 03:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Yur-Val
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 66
Some my comments about first level of this hold (Miscellany Prize):
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Yur-Val at 09-30-2011 08:02 PM]
09-30-2011 at 05:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Suwako
icon Re: Suwak0 prizes (+2)  
As i saw in the Yur-val post, i have edited the hold so now anyone can see and edit it, thanks both of you for your comments. I'll remove or change some rooms to make them more interesting and all the rooms of the hold have been tested

10-01-2011 at 11:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
da rogu3
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 491
Overall, these rooms are easy, but still fairly interesting. (and they look especially fun to optimise)

Miscellany Prize
1S1E - very good puzzle, it was a nice challenge to feed the adder then lure it to the pressure plate. The eye section at the end felt a bit tacked on and too easy, however.
2E - quite easy, but interesting
1N1E - good, I like how you have to cut the tarstuff in the right order.
1N - it's okay, but extremely easy and basic.
1N1W - good room
2W - killed most of the queens before the first spawn, so this wasn't much of a challenge.
1S1W - nice, plenty of space to kill the golems, so it wasn't too tough.

Edit: I'm not sure if you're still working on this hold, but here are some more comments -
Puzzles Prize - this level as a whole felt a bit repetitive. I think most players will find the trapdoor puzzles a bit boring. Maybe you should remove 1S1W and 1N1W.
Monsters Prize - this level is all hack & slash, but most of the rooms look interesting to optimise, so this level is good.

[Last edited by da rogu3 at 10-21-2011 12:51 PM]
10-10-2011 at 07:03 PM
Chaco

File: chaco_notes_prizes_complete.txt (3.3 KB)
Downloaded 33 times.
Now that I managed to find some spare time, I have completed this hold and have some comments for the other three levels.

-

My final verdict is that this is a nice hold, overall, with many good puzzles. I think that if the trapdoor level is reworked, the trivial solutions are fixed, and some more checkpoints are added, this hold will be a great addition to the Holds board, and a good first start at architecture.

12-20-2011 at 02:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Suwako
I'm not going to lie, i abandoned building in DROD because i discovered others things that entertained me more. Anyway, i visited architecture sometimes while it was november and no one replied it after da rogu3.

Now that two person have completed the hold and comments her impresions here, I'm going to end the work i started, fixing the unintended solutions that Chaco comments and thinking about funnier rooms, thank very much for both answers. I'll hope to upload soon the final version.

Greetings, Suwako.

12-20-2011 at 04:25 PM
Suwako
Hold updated, some errors fixed, maybe others will appear, i have changed two rooms in the first and second level, I didn't do anything with the third level, i tried to tought in something but i failed, fourth level also have a new room and some unitended solutions fixed.

Hope this update make better the hold. Thanks for playing my hold.

12-29-2011 at 05:07 PM
Chaco

File: chaco_notes_new_prizes.txt (3.5 KB)
Downloaded 27 times.
I have some short comments to make about the new rooms, and once again, they are in this text file. I discuss the solutions to the rooms in the text file, so there are spoilers.

The most important thing I have to mention is that Puzzle Prize: 2S is a required room behind a blue door, and either the blue door needs to be moved to that room or the room needs to be made not required. Right now the blue door won't open even if all the rooms are solved, because of this problem.

-

So, I like all the changes that were made, and again, with some more work put into it the hold will be even better than it was earlier.

12-29-2011 at 07:24 PM
Chaco

File: SP Puzzle Prize 1N1W Victory.demo (1.4 KB)
Downloaded 29 times.
Here is a demo containing my solution to Puzzle Prize: Once North Once West. I am not sure if this is the solution the architect had in mind when she built the room, but maybe it is in fact the intended, correct, solution.

[Last edited by Chaco at 12-29-2011 07:27 PM]
12-29-2011 at 07:27 PM
Suwako
Yes Chaco, that is the intended solution, again a update.

I have added a new level, where you can choose any of the prizes, it has a nice entrance design. After beat every prize there is a room that has a mix about some things of the prizes, after conquer the four rooms of the four prizes, you can conquer the hold.

I though that, if this hold isn't lineal and don't have a story, add a level where you can choose any of the prizes, so if you can't with some rooms, you can still play the others.

Also, I've edited two rooms of Monster Prize, 1N that was a very bad room is now about the same thing, but harder, and 1E takes now more time to pass and it's (i hope) better. Puzzle Prize 1N 1W is edited to be harder (no orb will show you that is needed), and the exit room is not required.

Finally hope this make better and not worse the hold, thanks a lot to Chaco for comments.

01-02-2012 at 10:24 PM
Chaco

File: chaco_notes_multi_prizes.txt (3.8 KB)
Downloaded 25 times.
icon Re: Suwak0 prizes (+1)  
Here are my notes about the new changes. I think the hold is almost done, but there are still some more changes that should be made to make the hold better.

-

A couple more comments outside of the notes:

I'm curious as to why the architect changed the level descriptions. I liked the old ones, and thought they described well the architect's motivations and personality. The new descriptions are straightforward, dull, and just try to describe the level in one line - I think they're boring.

I like that the levels can be completed in any order now, using the Choose Your Prize level. However, I think that since there is a hub structure, there should be staircases in the entrance of each level that go back to Choose Your Prize, so that a player can complete part of one level, go back to the hub, and then try to complete another level, if for instance they get stuck on one of the rooms.

Finally, the ending text references a "level only for conquerors, just is the same rooms as the levels, with a extreme difficult". I opened the hold in the editor and couldn't find this level. Since this level isn't there, could you remove that notice from the ending?

-

I really appreciate the amount of work the architect is putting into the hold with all these iterations of changes, and I hope this hold is received well once it is published.

[Last edited by Chaco at 01-04-2012 03:31 AM]
01-04-2012 at 03:30 AM
Suwako
Hope this is final update. After is checked and corrected I will put in only for conquerors and update it into holds forum.

New descriptions on levels, because the older one was deleted, and because Chaco prefered some imaginative to some dull.

New Level : Final Prize, is the level that i say in the ending, five rooms, one of each level and two from potions prize, edited to be harder. I was waiting to see nice rooms on the hold and then, put them there

Monster Prize 1E is now easier to travelling, by changing a broken wall. Removed some wubbas on 1S 1E to make less boring the room.

Stairs added in every prize entrance to go again to the choose your prize level.

I've played this hold normally, and i've conquered it in about 30 min. or so. I suppose that is because i know the solutions and how to conquer properly all the rooms. Again thanks a lot Chaco

[Last edited by Suwako at 01-05-2012 02:46 PM]
01-05-2012 at 02:44 PM
Chaco
Suwako wrote:
Again thanks a lot Chaco

You're welcome. I thought this hold had great potential and I decided to help.

-

Okay, I conquered all the rooms in Final Prize and they all look good.

The hold is almost finished! This time I just have three more suggestions:

1. In Choose Your Prize, behind the blue door in the Entrance, make two staircases instead of the one. The first can end the hold, like the staircase that is already there, but the second can go to the Final Prize level. This is so that players can play these final prize rooms in the game instead of in the editor, and can get high scores for those rooms.

By putting the staircase behind the blue door, it is still necessary to conquer the hold by completing the first four levels before going to the Final Prize.

2. In Final Prize 1W, add a green door near the West roach queen at (20, 16) so it is possible to return from Final Prize 2W to the entrance. Right now the force arrow keeps the player from returning back once he has conquered 1W.

3. Add more checkpoints to Monsters Prize 1N and Final Prize 1N, as a courtesy. I would suggest one for each corner of the room, bringing the total to five per room.

-

And, that's the last I have to offer. After these are addressed I think the hold will be ready for submission.

[Last edited by Chaco at 01-05-2012 06:58 PM]
01-05-2012 at 06:56 PM
Suwako
Ok, fixed the problem in 1W of the final prize, added the stairs to Final Prize and the checkpoints, also i've put only for conquerors and edited the ending, how to submit it?.

01-05-2012 at 09:17 PM
Chaco
Alright, looks great!

To submit the hold, click the button at the top of the page for this thread near the message that says something about submitting the hold to the Hold Administrators. Once that's done, the hold will enter the review queue.

After at least two administrators give the hold a vote of confidence (which they almost certainly will, since this hold doesn't have any backtracking problems, copyright infractions or profanity), the hold will be published on the Holds board.

01-05-2012 at 09:37 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Suwak0 prizes (Some rooms for pass the time)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com