Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Perplexing Puzzles (on the holds board)
Page 3 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
da rogu3
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 491
IP: Logged
icon Re: Perplexing Puzzles (0)  
That's absolutely brilliant :-O

I think that method may have been possible from the start. I think another way of fixing it is to add more roach queens at the top of the room, so you don't have enough time to enter the ormites section properly. Let me try again :P
06-11-2011 at 09:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
da rogu3
Okay, I think I've fixed it (again) by limiting the amount of space you have. It should be impossible to even kill one of the queens, if you kill the rattlesnake. When I was testing I always came 1 move short of the spawn, so mabye the unintended solution might be possible, but I'm pretty sure it's gone.

Otherwise I'm giving up with these quick-fix updates and will sort it out for v6.

Oh and I've also gone and made 1W required :P

[Last edited by da rogu3 at 06-11-2011 11:18 AM]
06-11-2011 at 11:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mxvladi
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2505
icon Re: Perplexing Puzzles (+1)  
Allright, I'd call 1S 1W fixed this time. I haven't tried too hard to break it for now, but by the looks of things, it shouldn't be possible indeed.

I really liked 1N, by the way. Nice red herring with that seemingly-needed alcove at 2,18.

Hmm, only level 2: 1N 1E left, it seems...
06-11-2011 at 09:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
da rogu3
mxvladi wrote:
Allright, I'd call 1S 1W fixed this time. I haven't tried too hard to break it for now, but by the looks of things, it shouldn't be possible indeed.
:D
I really liked 1N, by the way. Nice red herring with that seemingly-needed alcove at 2,18.
Thanks :) I spent a few hours making that room and I'm really proud of it, glad to know you liked it.
Hmm, only level 2: 1N 1E left, it seems...
Hardest room :P. I think I wrote up some hints somewhere on the second page. The only thing which concerns me is the beginning part with the eyes, it might be a bit trial and error (but I've included a demo of the first 30 moves)

Edit: I feel bad being unable to mod up everyone's very helpful feedback, mabye a mod could do that..

[Last edited by da rogu3 at 06-11-2011 10:06 PM]
06-11-2011 at 09:16 PM
mxvladi
And done. :glasses I read your hints after solving, and it seems I did everything as you intended(I think that it could be possible to use adder instead of rattlesnake to hold that pressure plate - haven't tried that on practice though; and what is that adder doing there, anyway?). Thanks for first 30 moves, too - it confirmed I didn't need golems in any other parts of the room(I've tried to save them for later originally...).

It's not 9-10 brains hard, IMO, but definetily more complex than other rooms and needs some serious planning to do it. Nice.

[Last edited by mxvladi at 06-11-2011 10:04 PM]
06-11-2011 at 09:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
da rogu3
Well done for completing everything :)

Do you have a demo of the room, if you do, please can I see it?

Also, now that you've completed all the current rooms, what would you rate the difficulty? I'm thinking something around 8 brains.

Edit: Okay, got the demo :)

[Last edited by da rogu3 at 06-11-2011 10:11 PM]
06-11-2011 at 10:05 PM
mxvladi
Demo attached. (EDIT: demo removed)

Also, now that you've completed all the current rooms, what would you rate the difficulty? I'm thinking something around 8 brains.

About 7,5 brains, IMO.

[Last edited by mxvladi at 06-11-2011 10:12 PM]
06-11-2011 at 10:09 PM
da rogu3
Oh, that's quite a bit different to my solution. Mine is a little bit slower, only touching the top golem and rattlesnake after cutting part of the tar and killing the first red snake. And at the end I didn't use the queen that way, instead I used it to spawn a roach to delay the goblin. (and there's also a bit of timing needed to be able to handle the adder and rattlesnake, but isn't needed in your solution because there are less roaches)

I probably will leave the room as it is however, it's hard enough I think.
06-11-2011 at 10:21 PM
da rogu3
Update!

Not too much new stuff here, just an extra puzzle 2:1S1E.

I spent a lot of time trying to get the room to work the way I wanted it to, but kinda failed. In it's current state, only 3/4 of the golems are actually needed to solve the room. (and I'm not sure where the most helpful checkpoint spots are). Just putting it out there to see whether there are any huge trivial solutions which I've missed. Mainly want feedback on the locations of the golem corpses, if the room is fun (not tedious), and if it has a similar difficulty to the rest of the level's rooms.

Edit: Only use 3 golems, I've just found a US which uses all 4. (in the next update, I'll either add another layer of complexity which requires the 4th golem, or remove it and just have 3 instead)

[Last edited by da rogu3 at 06-29-2011 12:09 PM]
06-28-2011 at 11:36 PM
mxvladi
da rogu3 wrote:
Mainly want feedback on the locations of the golem corpses

Click here to view the secret text

if the room is fun

Yes it is :)

and if it has a similar difficulty to the rest of the level's rooms.

Trickier than 1E, easier than 1N 1E. So, yeah, pretty much fits this level's difficulty level.

[Last edited by mxvladi at 06-30-2011 07:16 PM]
06-30-2011 at 06:50 PM
da rogu3
Could've sworn I tested all the combinations of 2 golems in the grass areas, how did you manage to prevent the serpents getting stuck in the grass? Did you use roaches to block the dead ends? :-O (when I look at it now, it may have been a possibility)

The intended solution (and primary idea of the room) was to put a golem

Oh, and just to check,

But anyway, thanks again for the help :), as usual you've managed to break my rooms and find easier solutions :P

[Last edited by da rogu3 at 06-30-2011 07:51 PM]
06-30-2011 at 07:50 PM
mxvladi
da rogu3 wrote:
Could've sworn I tested all the combinations of 2 golems in the grass areas, how did you manage to prevent the serpents getting stuck in the grass? Did you use roaches to block the dead ends?

Nah, just correct timing(I pressed the second arrow token when clock were at 16)

Yup.
06-30-2011 at 08:02 PM
da rogu3
Neat, I must have missed that variation.

Meanwhile, I've also realised how difficult it actually is to build a snake path which works exactly the way I want it to, thought I'd be able to fix it and update soon, but looks like it'll take a while :P
07-01-2011 at 03:02 PM
da rogu3
Updated!

Changed 1S1E a little bit - I tested all combinations of golems, and only 1 (the one which I intended) works. So if a US still exists, I'll be quite surprised.

Edit: No wait a minute I found something...

Edit2: Updated again

Edit3: Another update, just tidying up the room a bit. (no more quick updates after this, btw)

[Last edited by da rogu3 at 07-02-2011 11:01 PM]
07-02-2011 at 05:13 PM
mxvladi
To confirm - I was indeed unable to break level 2 1S 1E now. The intended solution is pretty cool.

(outta interest - why there're three unrequired unaccessible empty rooms in 2nd level?)

[Last edited by mxvladi at 07-06-2011 08:31 AM]
07-06-2011 at 08:29 AM
da rogu3
mxvladi wrote:
To confirm - I was indeed unable to break level 2 1S 1E now. The intended solution is pretty cool.
Yay, that's great :)
(outta interest - why there're three unrequired unaccessible empty rooms in 2nd level?)
Dunno, was gonna put some rooms there. (but now I think I'll leave it at 3 puzzle rooms)

Just one more room left to make and then I've finished! :smile

[Last edited by da rogu3 at 07-06-2011 10:03 AM]
07-06-2011 at 09:58 AM
da rogu3
New version. Not too much changed since the last update.

Doesn't anyone else want to give any feedback? It'd be nice to have more than 1 person help test it -_-
07-12-2011 at 09:32 PM
Neather2
Rank Points: 406
Who wouldn't like to have more testers? For some reasons forumites don't really love that board and prefer to play the final version of a game in the DROD hold zone. Did you notice that dozens of players download architecture files and then don't reply? This may be laziness or simple placidity.
So, I've looked into your puzzles, and I'm sure you'll get many feedbacks soon. They're good and tricky, even if I do not like snake-timing and similiar stuff.

-Neather2 :)

Conspiracy, my new hold, has just been released.
07-13-2011 at 05:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
da rogu3
So, I've looked into your puzzles, and I'm sure you'll get many feedbacks soon. They're good and tricky, even if I do not like snake-timing and similiar stuff.
Thanks, I guess.
Did you notice that dozens of players download architecture files and then don't reply?
Previous version of this hold only had 2 downloads :(
07-13-2011 at 01:05 PM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3741
Previous versions got too hard for me, but I might have a look later.

07-13-2011 at 02:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
da rogu3
Still no feedback? I guess this hold must be perfect then. :rolleyes

I hoped to have this finished by now, but evidently I haven't been fast enough.. :/

Won't be making any changes for a few weeks (won't have access to a DRODing computer), so I'll resume progress on this hold when I get back. (but I'd still appreciate anyone's comments)
07-20-2011 at 06:16 PM
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
I'd love to help out but at this point I'm fairly slow so I'm not sure it would be worth my time. Maybe after I go through Advanced Concepts I'll be ready to tackle more in-depth things.

07-20-2011 at 07:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
I've been slowly playing through this hold.

Question about 1:2W.
Is getting to the second trapdoor
fast enough?
07-27-2011 at 01:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mxvladi
Is getting to the second trapdoor
fast enough?

Yup.
07-27-2011 at 04:04 AM
da rogu3
CuriousShyRabbit wrote:
I've been slowly playing through this hold.
How are you progressing? If there are any rooms which aren't fun then please do tell me so I can change or remove them :)

Another update will be coming soon, just have to change a few things first.
08-26-2011 at 11:01 PM
CuriousShyRabbit
It looks like I finished Level 1 about a month ago, and then got distracted with other things. The rooms on Level 2 look like a lot of work to solve.

Level 1

08-28-2011 at 06:59 AM
da rogu3
Thanks for all the feedback. Regarding your comments,

Also, @mxvladi, if you're still reading this, can I please have demos of 1E and 1S1E on level 2, just to make sure that everything in the room works correctly?

[Last edited by da rogu3 at 08-30-2011 10:44 AM]
08-28-2011 at 08:19 PM
mxvladi
da rogu3 wrote:
can I please have demos of 1E and 1S1E on level 2, just to make sure that everything in the room works correctly?

attached(EDIT: removed)

[Last edited by mxvladi at 08-28-2011 09:01 PM]
08-28-2011 at 08:30 PM
da rogu3
Thanks, got them. Edit: Yup, everything works correctly :)

[Last edited by da rogu3 at 08-28-2011 09:06 PM]
08-28-2011 at 08:59 PM
CuriousShyRabbit
1S1W

1E

1W

1N

Sorry, with all the beta board action going on right now, I don't have time to work on something as time consuming as Level 2 at the moment. I will get there eventually.
09-03-2011 at 11:55 PM
Page 3 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Perplexing Puzzles (on the holds board)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com