Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : The Great Adventure 2 (Way better than last one, well i think...)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
jbluestein
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1670
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Great Adventure 2 (+1)  
I have a fair amount to say about this hold. I think it could use some trimming and rework.

I'll try to break my comments down on a level-by-level basis.

General comments:
Click here to view the secret text

I'm only going to offer comments on rooms that need them.

Home & City:

Cemetery & Beach:

Forest:

The Tomb:

Frozen Camps:

Ship:

Tiki Island:

I will have more comments later.

[Last edited by jbluestein at 04-21-2010 07:05 PM]
04-21-2010 at 12:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
brian_s
Rank Points: 587
icon Re: The Great Adventure 2 (0)  
I'm up to Sky Palace 3S1W, where I am having a problem with the scripting. I drop all the trapdoors before killing anything, but the orb still activates and closes the yellow door.
04-23-2010 at 03:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
brian_s wrote:
I'm up to Sky Palace 3S1W, where I am having a problem with the scripting. I drop all the trapdoors before killing anything, but the orb still activates and closes the yellow door.

The door closes as soon as you kill something. You can't avoid this. But the room is still solvable after this (as long as you're on the proper side).

Josh

04-24-2010 at 01:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
More level-by-level comments:

Ghostown:

Ghost Undertown:

Sky Palace:

Inside the Thing:

More later.

Josh

04-24-2010 at 02:08 PM
jbluestein
Last Pass:

The Rock Valley:

King's Castle:

The Prison:

My general feeling about this hold: Way too long, inconsistent levels of difficulty, tedious puzzles, and random secret scripting.

As it is currently designed, the hold appears to be OK for promotion, but if you want to produce a hold that is actually fun to play, I would suggest the following:

Pare it down. The whole Frozen Camps level should be removed at a bare minimum. Since there is almost no story in the hold, why spend any time on levels that don't have puzzles? I'd eliminate City, Cemetery, Beach, Shore...

The alternative is to put an actual story in there.

Remove unpredictable scripting. If you need to have scripting in order to access secret rooms, I would suggest including clues, either visual or scroll-based.

Remove redundant and tedious puzzles. Plenty of rooms could stand to be tightened up and made more interesting, and others are retreads of other rooms, or not sufficiently interesting to stand on their own.

Josh

04-24-2010 at 04:56 PM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
I have to agree with jbluestein. I guess the ultimate question is if you want to produce a hold that is good, or a hold that is big. I know that I thought big was good when I was young, but big without quality isn't really good, it's just big. Small and fun, on the other hand, is good ;)
04-25-2010 at 11:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DyRsOfDh14
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 56

File: The Great Adventure 2.hold (572.4 KB)
Downloaded 44 times.
License: Public Domain
Since I can't upload a new version in the first post, I upload it here, I changed some things
I removed Cemetery, Beach and Frozen Camps, I added a conversation at city, another one on tomb 4S, a speech at ship and shore, added checkpoints in undertown and removed the arrows, modified the scroll in sky palace 3S1W, added a brain in City 1S1W and a blue door in 1N, changed Rock Valley 2N, and changed the secret rooms in Rock Valley, Castle and Tiki Island to be less unpredictable

04-25-2010 at 10:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
DyRsOfDh14 wrote:
Since I can't upload a new version in the first post, I upload it here, I changed some things

Now that your hold is not up for promotion, you ought to be able to upload a new version in the first post again. You will need to do this, as you won't be able to promote a hold that's not attached to the top of a topic.

Josh

04-26-2010 at 12:03 PM
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
jbluestein wrote:
Now that your hold is not up for promotion, you ought to be able to upload a new version in the first post again. You will need to do this, as you won't be able to promote a hold that's not attached to the top of a topic.
Oops. So, I have this bug where rejecting a hold doesn't actually make the attachment directly editable like it should.

BUT.... if re-submitted, IIRC it should actually take the submitter's most recent .hold attachment in the topic.

Regardless, I fixed this attachment by hand to be editable again.

04-26-2010 at 12:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
jbluestein
Schik wrote:
Regardless, I fixed this attachment by hand to be editable again.

Thanks Schik!

In other news, I have begun the process of playing through the new version of the hold. I see a number of changes to rooms, most of them for the better. It will take me a while to go over everything, though, as the updated hold invalidated many of my demos. (A sure sign that the room changed!)

Josh

04-26-2010 at 02:48 PM
brian_s
I have played through the previous version and the current version. Overall, you did a good job getting rid of some of the boring parts of the hold. The one thing that I think should be added is more checkpoints.
04-28-2010 at 02:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
brian_s
icon Re: The Great Adventure 2 (+2)  
I took another look at your hold, and these are where I would add some extra checkpoints:

- The Forest
3S1E: (32,3) and (28,28)
2S1E: (24,11)
1N3E: (20,23)
1N1E: (3,28) and (28,27)
2N: (19,15)
3N: (10,21)

- The Tomb
2S2W: (20,24), (20,25) and (20,26)
2S1W: (22,15) and (18,2)
3S1E: (29,17) and (7,23)

- Ghost Town
2N1W: (21,20), (21,8) and (10,17)
1N1E: (6,26)

- Tiki Island
1S3W: One checkpoint on each force arrow the mimics step on
1N2W: (5,18)
1N3W: (32,16)
2N: Add a vision token at each entrance
2N1W: (22,21)
2N3W: (29,14), (28,21), (6,16) and (3,23)
2S: (35,23)

- Ghost Undertown
5E: (21,13), (21,28), (15,13) and (15,18)

- Sky Palace
2N: (2,8) and (35,14)
1E: (10,21) and (26,9)
3S1W: (26,16)

- In the Thing
4N2E: (21,27), (30,19) and (11,22)
5N3E: (22,5)
8N3E: (11,23), (27,23) and (20,10)

- Rock Valley
2N: (5,4)

- King's Castle
2N1E: (7,9) and (29,9) You could also get rid of the green door at the west exit.
2E: (1,15), (36,15), (17,30) and (17,1)
1N1E: (29,20) and (16,23)
04-28-2010 at 09:58 PM
DyRsOfDh14
Ready
Thank you
04-29-2010 at 11:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
How exactly does the scripting in The Rock Valley: Thrice North work?

I cleared out all the rooms, including 2N1W, 2N and 2N1E before I went to Thrice North. Then the guard told me to go clean out the valley. I left, didn't find any other rooms, then returned, and the guard remained on the pressure plate. Nothing I can do seems to get him off of it.

Is there any reason why this pressure plate and door combination can't just be replaced by a blue door, since 3N is an unrequired room?

05-17-2010 at 12:59 AM
DyRsOfDh14

File: The Great Adventure 2.hold (572.7 KB)
Downloaded 47 times.
License: Public Domain
Chaco wrote:
I cleared out all the rooms, including 2N1W, 2N and 2N1E before I went to Thrice North. Then the guard told me to go clean out the valley. I left, didn't find any other rooms, then returned, and the guard remained on the pressure plate. Nothing I can do seems to get him off of it.
Sorry for delay, fixed.

[Last edited by DyRsOfDh14 at 06-11-2010 12:54 AM]
06-10-2010 at 11:39 PM

Level: Guest
Rank Points: 0
The puzzle in the game is really hard and it nearly makes me give up. But I have strived and made it to Twice South. This is an interesting game but I thought I will give it up :~(
07-28-2010 at 07:57 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Edit/Delete | Quote Reply
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : The Great Adventure 2 (Way better than last one, well i think...)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com