Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : The great stalwart war (Another one of my holds.)
Page 1 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Chaosgamer
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 88
IP: Logged
icon The great stalwart war (+4)  
Well at this point I can no longer continue developing this hold without outside help. This is uncompleted completed version of the great stalwart battle. Hope you enjoy it.

UPDATES
======================================================================
-lighting removed from speed potion factory
-OFtB 2E 1N removed mothers
-OFtB 1N 4E fixed

Announcements
-----------------------------------------------------------------

[Last edited by Chaosgamer at 12-03-2010 09:46 PM]
07-22-2009 at 07:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bdwing
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 288
icon Re: The great stalwart war (+1)  
From what I have seen, this is a worthy hold with many challenges. Some of these puzzles have my brain exploding.

edit: Never mind. I went back to Kabulian Fortress and watched my own demo and figured out what I was doing wrong in Deep Kabulian Fortress.

second edit: There must be some scripting errors in the later levels. Several times I have had the clock just spin around and never stop. Usually this is because I killed a character I wasn't supposed to. But in Speed Potion Factory 4N2E this happens from either of the two entrances I have found. Also, in Speed Potion Factory 3N2E: aren't I supposed to kill the brain? There is no way to leave if the player kills the brain.

"Until it ends, there is no end."

[Last edited by bdwing at 07-26-2009 01:39 PM]
07-26-2009 at 07:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaosgamer
Scripting problems eh? Well I'll go back an look at the rooms you listed. If there is more rooms that have scripting problems could you please list them?
07-26-2009 at 06:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaosgamer
Ok that's done, update on first post.
07-26-2009 at 07:27 PM
bdwing
I think I have been everywhere and done everything in the current version. There are some spelling errors in "My realy big sword" (for example: it's spelled "really"). Some rooms stretched my mind. It took me quite a long time to figure out how to cut mud and tar with the statues and not die.

The scripting error in The speed potion factory 4N2E is still there. The room fills with water skippers as much as it can but it can't fill up completely. Control is never passed to the player. When I hit the space bar the clock just goes round and round.

07-27-2009 at 07:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bdwing
Could the scripting error problem be connected to DRoD version?

I have 3.2.0.83 of TCB and I see that there is a 3.2.1.85 unofficial patch now.

I will upgrade my system and test again.

07-27-2009 at 11:47 AM
Chaosgamer
icon Re: The great stalwart war (0)  
Hmm.... When I tested it before submitting it, that room was fine. I thought the problem was caused because there was no "cut scene 0" But as far as I know the cut scene automatically stop if there is no NPC script left.
07-27-2009 at 01:26 PM
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3626
The command "Cutscene 0" will stop any currently-playing cutscenes.

07-27-2009 at 05:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
deftriver
Rank Points: 75
I really like this, I'm currently stuck on P2Tueno, 3S3E, so I'm looking forward to even more challenges.
07-27-2009 at 07:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaosgamer
Ok, the scripting problem in 4N 2E is now fixed, it seems that the coordinates were wrong, it's not the version you have.
07-27-2009 at 10:03 PM
Chaosgamer
Announcement!

Hold is back on track! I made the graphics myself. :w00t
08-03-2009 at 01:00 AM
Chaosgamer
:yahoo: Hold is in beta everybody! For people that have access to the private board, you can now post there and get updated versions there! :yahoo:
08-03-2009 at 11:12 PM
Chaosgamer
No one has posted bugs or problems in weeks so I guess everybody is happy. If no one has any problems than I will be uploading to the admins.
08-05-2009 at 01:38 PM
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
icon Re: The great stalwart war (Need testers for beta) (0)  
Chaos, I haven't played this hold yet. We all just got done testing your other hold. And other architects have projects in Architecture too. If you hang on, I will try to get to your new one in the next couple of days.
08-05-2009 at 09:44 PM
Chaosgamer
Alright then. I guess I should lay off this one.
08-05-2009 at 10:39 PM
CuriousShyRabbit
I'm working on it, but don't have time to write detailed comments right now (getting late). But have you solved the current version of Speed Potion Factory 2E?

The 2x2 gap at (26,10)-(27,11) is the problem. If tar grows into that gap, it cannot be cut, and the player will never reach the mother. I hit the orb that opens the door there immediately after the spawn. But I can't get to the gap in time, and I can't even get far enough east to fill the gap with tar babies.

I might be stuck. Please do try playing that room yourself.

Love the new statue objects, by the way; they've got lots of puzzle potential.

EDIT: Also, have you played Speed Potion Factory 4N2E yourself? Player loses an important lead when busting through all that crumbly wall.

[Last edited by CuriousShyRabbit at 08-06-2009 12:34 PM]
08-06-2009 at 12:14 PM
Chaosgamer
icon Re: The great stalwart war (Need testers for beta) (+1)  
Whoops, looks like I attached an older version. Those were already fixed when I was doing my final play through. Either I attached the wrong version or I forgot to attached the whole thing. :fun
Speed potion factory 2E the 2x2 blob is like bdwing said supposed to be eaten by an adder but in the older version that adder cannot be released until the "emergency orb" was hit and 4N 2E was supposed to be solved by entering from the west. But when I was doing a play through I discovered those things and changed it. Well anyways fixed.
08-06-2009 at 02:17 PM
neveragain
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 23
Out from the beneath: Once East has two issues. If you leave to west after conquering, you can't continue east. If you leave to east after conquering the room, but create gel babies, you can no longer conquer it.

Out from the beneath: Once North, Twice East could use a vision token, but it's not too annoying without it. There's a backtracking problem involving killing gel babies after conquering.

In Out from the beneath: Once North, Quarce East, you can sidestep the red doors. May be intentional

Out from the beneath: Twice North, Thrice East has an unintended solution. You can use a clone to kill the roach. This causes backtracking issues if gel babies form afterwards.

Out from the beneath: Twice East has a backtracking solution if the room cannot be conquered from the north.

[Last edited by neveragain at 08-06-2009 09:24 PM]
08-06-2009 at 08:10 PM
Chaosgamer
Wow, lots of problem I never realized. Most of the problem seem to be because of gel. Fixed on first post.
08-06-2009 at 11:08 PM
CuriousShyRabbit
I've been trying to master this one, so I can look at things in the editor. I've conquered the hold, but still can't conquer that last secret room in the Speed Potion Factory.

In Speed Potion Factory 4N2E, I can now kill all the monsters, but when the goblin character goes down the stairs, I get stuck in a never-ending cutscene. Would you fix that please?

Overall, I like this hold a lot! I think it's the best you've done yet. But there are going to be a lot of details that need fixing.

[Last edited by CuriousShyRabbit at 08-07-2009 09:33 AM]
08-07-2009 at 09:20 AM
Chaosgamer
The goblin was scripted to move to (35,__) not (34,__) Fixed on first post.

§→ˤ¢ã☺☺◄☺•◘○○É╩♫♂Þæ╗ :huh

[Last edited by Chaosgamer at 08-07-2009 01:49 PM]
08-07-2009 at 01:48 PM
neveragain
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 23
You did fix the one problem in Out from the beneath: Once East. If someone were to solve the room and leave west, they would be able to go forward.

Unfortunately, your solution to the problem of the player going east witohut conquering the room has led to another problem. The room is no longer solvable. :(

Out from the beneath: Once North, Twice East, is completely fixed.

Twice North, Thrice East still has issues. Room is conquerable from the East, but isn't from the west. As well, this room is still very trivial if you enter from the south (the intended entrance), since you can use clone potions to kill the adder and roaches without dropping the red doors or destroying any gel.

In The Path To Tueno, I'm unsure of what was supposed to happen. If Arceano dies, is this level supposed to be uncompletable? Because I let the stalwart die in Once South, Twice East, but was still able to finish the level.

[Last edited by neveragain at 08-07-2009 02:52 PM]
08-07-2009 at 02:21 PM
Chaosgamer
In P2T if the stalwart dies than a charecter will set a varible to 1.
The stalwart will only appear in a room if the varible is 0. At the end the goblin will appear once the blue door opens and you need the varible to be at 0 for the stalwart to appear but the varible will be set to 1 if the stalwart dies.
08-08-2009 at 02:02 PM
Chaosgamer
OK, Out from eh beneath 1E fixed. I removed the trapdoors (stupid stupid me :facepalm: ) 2N 2E put closed gates in the roach area to prevent placing and repositioned adder. If you enter from west of east in this room there will be a tunnel that takes you the the south. P2T stalwart problem is fixed. I looked at the scripting and it seems that some of the scripted stalwarts are already visible or have the command

set var stalwart = 0

But I fixed the script to,

wait until var "stalwart" = 2
appear
turn into monster

and put gave the Arceano character in the entrance the following script,

end on room exit
Appear
set var stalwart = 2
speech Arceano "This way!" 
move to (__,__) 
disappear 

and the character in each room

wait for entity stalwart at (0,0) - (37,31)
wait while entity stalwart at (0,0) - (37,31)
set var stalwart = 0
speech "Arceano has been killed."

The
wait for entity stalwart at (0,0) - (37,31)
at the start is to prevent the speech when the stalwart is already dead. New version on first post.

[Last edited by Chaosgamer at 08-08-2009 03:30 PM]
08-08-2009 at 03:26 PM
bdwing
I do not think the script to fis the Arceano's death problem is working quite as intended. If I complete a room successfully and then Arcenano dies in the next room, when I restore back to the first room Arceano is still dead even though I had already done that room.

Perhaps checkpoints in the rooms would help to fix this?

Edit: Path to Tueno: 2S2E is especially annoying. Arceano says "Open the gate!" but he is free to leave his starting point and, so far, I have NOT been able to keep him alive.

[Last edited by bdwing at 08-09-2009 07:11 AM]
08-09-2009 at 06:33 AM
hartleyhair
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 307
icon Re: The great stalwart war (Need testers for beta) (+2)  
Well, I downloaded the version of the Hold attached to the beta board and played through it. Chaos later informed me that this might not be the latest version but he assures me he'll clean up all the versions once he's fixed a bug.

Comments:
Click here to view the secret text

I'm afraid I haven't seen the second level because I just don't wanna do 1N4E. :(

Bugs:

08-09-2009 at 02:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaosgamer
Ahh the wonders of gel. Most the problems were fixed in the latest version (hehe sorry) 1N 4E I removed the mothers and the bombs beside the orbs to add a casual puzzle. Although you do not have the latest version you did report some problems like the goblin in the secret room. Fixed

Also to bdwing: the stalwart problem. ??? I doesn't happen to me. Could you specify your problem.
08-09-2009 at 02:34 PM
bdwing
The version I was testing was missing an orthogonal square where the stalwart was standing. This version has an orthogonal square there.

Shrug.

08-10-2009 at 12:22 AM
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505

File: EpTgsb The path to Tueno 3S3E Victory.demo (1.5 KB)
Downloaded 52 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: The great stalwart war (Need testers for beta) (+3)  
I've reached Kabulian Fortress now, so I think it's time to comment on first two levels.

[Last edited by mxvladi at 08-10-2009 01:01 AM]
08-10-2009 at 12:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaosgamer
icon Re: The great stalwart war (Need testers for beta) (+2)  
mxvladi wrote:

The Path to Tueno

Oh, and maybe you can somehow fix that backtracking issue(maybe by adding the script that kills some critical-hero NPC when stalwart dies)?
<--- what a great idea! Why didn't I think of that? Well I was finding a way to do that but it didn't work out.

Checkpoints added in P2T

Look on first post       ^
                         |
                         |
                         |

[Last edited by slimm tom at 08-11-2009 08:02 PM : Fixed quote]
08-10-2009 at 01:14 AM
Page 1 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : The great stalwart war (Another one of my holds.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com