Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : RPG Hold Anonymous: 2 (Level 8 COMPLETE! Please help test!)
Page 5 of 13
6789>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 4596
IP: Logged

File: Nameless Fortress.drh (28.5 KB)
Downloaded 42 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: RPG Hold Anonymous: 2 (0)  
Well, I was trying to get through this level so I could set reasonable stats for the boss, but you guys have made this one way too confusing :) So here's what we've got -- I'm going to see what you guys make of this one. Can any of you get anywhere?

[Last edited by Nuntar at 07-09-2009 10:02 AM]
07-08-2009 at 08:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
The Stew Boy
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 247
The staircase into level 3 ends the hold...

Edit: Also, it would appear that after going through the force arrows in 3E, the player would be completely stuck unless they had previously gone through the west entrance of 1N4E.

[Last edited by The Stew Boy at 07-09-2009 08:05 AM]
07-09-2009 at 06:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Thank you. I've fixed those points and also added a shield.

07-09-2009 at 10:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Samuel
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 69
Can I be in the next round or level or whatever?

even if it's in your mind. Who's to
say that dreams and nightmares
aren't as real as the here and now?
John Lennon
07-09-2009 at 11:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Yes, you're absolutely welcome :) We leave it a week in between levels so we can test each one before moving on to the next, but as soon as we're ready to start Level 4 I'll assign rooms for you as well as everyone else.

07-09-2009 at 02:01 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
In the version you've just uploaded, Nuntar, you've used the old version of Level 2 2N1W and so the NE corner of 1N1W is once again inaccessible. You also still have the old version of my Level 2 2N1E, which I modified to be better protected against the Flippers later.

I'm still working on Level 3 but I've found a *lot* of rooms where crossing them is non-trivial and so exploration is a bit difficult.

There seem to be two additional pieces of equipment on the level besides the Short Sword at the start: both a bronze shield in 1N (already mentioned) and a Claymore (a sword which I put in 3W that has a +45 ATK bonus). Both of these should be retrievable, as far as I can tell.

07-09-2009 at 11:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Here's a point I can reach. I made a runthrough of Level 3 and I finished standing in Once South, Quince West, which would not be a bad place to put a boss or a staircase.

Here's what I was holding:

Click here to view the secret text

So if the stats were reduced to the following from what I had:

HP: 900
ATK: 108
DEF: 100
Keys: 2/2/2/0

Then the requirements for reaching the boss could be a green key and a blue key, and the boss could be balanced against whatever stats were appropriate.

===

One thing I found interesting is that I counted at least five places where it might be tempting to use the invisibility potion, but only two places where I would actually consider it to be a good idea.

[Last edited by Chaco at 07-10-2009 01:05 AM]
07-10-2009 at 01:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
I forgot to remove the test NPC in 1N2W which adds a piece of meat when standing on 8,13. Could this be fixed please?

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

07-10-2009 at 06:56 PM
The Stew Boy
My stats after playing through most of the level (and finishing in 1S5W) are:

I still have 3 200hp potions back in level one - two behind yellow doors, one on a hot tile.
That goblin in 1N1W is really annoying.

Edit: Oh, and I'm in for level 4.

[Last edited by The Stew Boy at 07-11-2009 04:55 AM]
07-11-2009 at 04:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
I'm not really good with with scripting so could someone please help me with a couple of things? First, the questions in 2nd level 2N are messed up and I don't know how to fix them. Second, I've decided to change the character in the secret room to ask for the invisibility potion instead of the wooden shieldm so can someone make a script which checks wether you have the invisibility potion? I have no idea how to do that (I'm aware that there are some other problems with the script, but I've figured out how to fix those, so I'll do it myself).
07-11-2009 at 12:23 PM
Nuntar

File: Nameless Fortress.drh (28.8 KB)
Downloaded 39 times.
Okay, here's an update.

I removed Jeff_Ray's testing NPC, changed Dex Stewart's script to ask for invisibility potion, and added the boss.

Chaco, your new rooms on Level 2 aren't in the latest hold you sent me -- could you send them to me again?

Dex Stewart, I haven't fixed Level 2 2N as you didn't really explain in what way the questions are messed up and how you would like them to behave.

Everyone, since we're probably nearly ready to move on, can I just ask, how did people like my idea of doing this level differently from the others? Do you feel it worked well? Would you like me to use similar ideas on later levels?

Also, do the people who've played through the whole level feel there are any parts that urgently need fixing or improving?

07-12-2009 at 02:00 AM
The Stew Boy
What was different about your way of doing this level?
07-12-2009 at 02:37 AM
Nuntar
The way a portion of the room area was taken up with walls and water that you were instructed not to touch....

07-12-2009 at 11:44 AM
Dex Stewart
In 2N the script is supposed to ask you the question "Interested?" with answer options "Of course!" and "Not now, thank you." The current behaviour is really weird.
07-12-2009 at 12:08 PM
Dex Stewart
I know I'm a bit late to the party, but the last time I played level 2, the room was still inexistent: Are you supposed to be able to get two choices in level 2 1N? No matter what I do, I can only get one.
07-12-2009 at 01:49 PM
Chaco
Dex Stewart wrote:
I know I'm a bit late to the party, but the last time I played level 2, the room was still inexistent: Are you supposed to be able to get two choices in level 2 1N? No matter what I do, I can only get one.

The room has since been fixed so that you can only get one of four choices. I can't seem to be able to break the room anymore. :)

07-12-2009 at 02:23 PM
Nuntar
icon Re: RPG Hold Anonymous: 2 (+1)  
Dex Stewart wrote:
In 2N the script is supposed to ask you the question "Interested?" with answer options "Of course!" and "Not now, thank you." The current behaviour is really weird.
Doh, I should have noticed this myself. Script commands are processed one by one; when the script encounters a "Question" command it can't look ahead to see what "Answer option"s are coming. Therefore put your "Answer option"s before the "Question".

07-12-2009 at 03:04 PM
Jeff_Ray...
Oh, and while this may be overdue, 2N2W should have a pit by the bomb, because otherwise, the choice might be too obvious for the player (bomb the mad eyes).

Could you make this simple change please?

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

07-12-2009 at 05:04 PM
hyperme
Rank Points: 1073
I found the level restriction quite interesting. We're going to be doing it again after level 4 anyhow because of the water sections of the level. This restriction could also be applied with 'Null areas' which aren't used ever, giving a partially formed 'pallet' to work on.

Also, I'm in for all the other levels of this game. I can assure you I won't be unable to complete any entry because of unseen academic things.

07-12-2009 at 08:50 PM
Dex Stewart
Oh yeah, I definitely liked how you mapped the level out for us (especially since I asked for it, kinda). It definitely helped me design my rooms and avoided rooms being useless.
I'm also in for the next round as long as it starts in a reasonable amount of time (say, at least four days before 26th July, when I leave for a short while).
07-12-2009 at 09:20 PM
Nuntar

File: Nameless Fortress.drh (28.8 KB)
Downloaded 42 times.
New version. I added the pit that Jeff_Ray requested and corrected the question script in Dex Stewart's room. (Sorry Jeff -- I did see that you requested this change earlier, but I ignored it at the time as I hadn't realised that it was in fact your room.)

07-12-2009 at 10:35 PM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Hmm... The invisibility potion and the merchant is a powerful combination. I managed to get +24 to ATK and +24 to DEF, and after that the rest was quite easy.

My ending stats: 3111/163/148/14/10/1. I have opened the doors leading away from level 3. I have a portable orb, and have easy access to a hand bomb. I also have 4082 greckles. I have a Claymore and a Bronze Shield. All in all: Well done, all of you! Nice aestethics, and nice overall level :)
07-17-2009 at 12:33 PM
Dex Stewart
... drats! I think I'm going to have to fix that... somehow. I'll think about it.
07-17-2009 at 01:43 PM
Nuntar

File: Nameless Fortress.drh (31.7 KB)
Downloaded 50 times.
Level 4.

Since I've had positive comments on the different "style" of Level 3, this one is another experiment. Not quite the same, but similar. Again you get three rooms each but can only use part of the floor area.

The squares you are allowed to use and change are all normal floor. Do not remove any of the walls, blue doors, bridges, scrolls or NPCs already placed in some rooms.

Another unusual feature: because the boss of this level is actually fought in a room in Level 3, I've placed the boss already (but I may change his stats with hindsight after seeing your rooms). This boss requires three blue keys to reach: you have to read all three "seals" (scrolls) in Level 4.

For now, I've dealt with the problem of 2:2N by reducing the number of gems (which I think was a good idea anyway, since the Rattlesnake is too easy an enemy for such a large number as were available). I've also added a little speech to the Level 2 boss.

Room assignations:

Jeff_Ray: 3W, 2N1E, 1S
The Stew Boy: 1N2W, 3N1E, 2S1W
Dex Stewart: 3N2W, 1N1E, 2S2W
hyperme: 3N3W, 1N, 2S
mxvladi: 1N3W, 3N, 3S2W
Chaco: 2W, 3N1W, 3S
Someone Else: 2N3W, 2N1W, 1S2W
Samuel: 2N2W, 2N, 3S1W
Nuntar: 1W, 1N1W, 1S1W

Other rules for Level 4:

* Multiplier for this level is still x2, the same as Level 3.
* Style for this level is Jutt's Sandstone. It doesn't matter if you haven't downloaded the Sandstone style; I will make sure all rooms are set to the correct style when I collate them. I do, however, highly recommend you download this style.
* Expected starting stats for this level are 110/110 (including sword and shield). Recommended starting enemies are Soulless, Mimic, Swordsman, Gel Baby; as always remember that the player may have better stats by the time he reaches the later rooms.

Deadline for this level is 26 July, 12 noon GMT

[Last edited by Nuntar at 07-19-2009 01:52 AM]
07-19-2009 at 01:49 AM
Jeff_Ray...
I don't think I'll have time to fill in my rooms, guys. Sorry. Maybe next round...

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

07-25-2009 at 01:27 PM
Chaco
I just completed another run of the main hold to reach the current point. Here are my player statistics upon reaching The Collapsed Chamber: The Entrance (not quite the same as when I fought the Slime King).

HP: 1637
ATK: 127
DEF: 113
Keys: 5/5/0/0

GR: 1722
REP: 3212

Weapon: Claymore (+45 ATK)
Shield: Bronze Shield (+30 DEF)
Accessory: None (already used invisibility potion)

===

It's obviously possible to get to the level with either better or worse statistics, but I think this should be said: I think most people are going to arrive at this level with at least 500 or 750 greckles, let alone the 1000 I have, so any piddling little greckle gates are likely to be the obvious choice.

Dex's Level 2 2N is an OK money sink, but is probably unlikely to actually get used until the endgame when all the monsters inside can be killed much easier for their rewards.

[Last edited by Chaco at 07-25-2009 05:02 PM]
07-25-2009 at 05:02 PM
hyperme
So what have we got so far in the way of a level? We're still waiting on a few people. Again :thumbsdown .

07-26-2009 at 07:07 PM
Nuntar
Yeah... unfortunately I hadn't realised that it was going to clash so badly with the contest deadline. I'm not going to have time to put the level together until next week, so you can have a deadline extension. However, I want to remind the few people who are repeatedly ignoring deadlines that I won't tolerate it any longer, and if any of the same people are late again then you won't be able to participate in future rounds. If I'd realised this was going to happen I'd have had this system in place from the beginning, but I can't change that now :(

07-26-2009 at 07:29 PM
hyperme
Just a suggestion, on the level start post, you could edit it to show who has submitted and who hasn't.

07-26-2009 at 08:41 PM
hyperme
On Friday I'm off for a week, so i won't be able to be in the next round.

07-29-2009 at 10:16 AM
Page 5 of 13
6789>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : RPG Hold Anonymous: 2 (Level 8 COMPLETE! Please help test!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com