Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Pit Death (Things that could happen to stuff that falls into pits. (Some suggestions for DROD 4.0))
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
IP: Logged
icon Pit Death (+1)  
I just noticed that you can now die on a pit (if you are on a falling bridge). I think there should be a special pit death sequence for it; Beethro exploding in mid-pit just doesn't seem imaginative enough!

Maybe we could have Beethro jumping for it, or a guest appearance by the Mothingness!

Edit: I also note that water doesn't flow down into pits if put next to them. I think the special effects team should look into fixing DROD's water-related physics.

And a second edit: It seems I'm also not the first to suggest this.

[Last edited by agaricus5 at 03-02-2009 07:54 PM]
02-07-2009 at 07:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Vike91
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 231
icon Re: Pit Death (0)  
Or just simulating Beethro falling. Graphically we would make Beethro graphically shrink when he dies on pit.

02-07-2009 at 08:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
icon Re: Pit Death (+1)  
This just begs for a Wilhelm Scream

02-07-2009 at 09:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Nuntar wrote:
agaricus5 wrote:
Edit: I also note that water doesn't flow down into pits if put next to them. I think the special effects team should look into fixing DROD's water-related physics.
Unless you can come up with a way to improve the physics that won't break existing holds, I don't think this suggestion will get very far. The fact that water doesn't flow into pits makes a large difference to the gameplay in some rooms, because (1) waterskippers can't go on pits, and (2) water and pits each have their own type of platform, which can't go on the other.
When I said physics, I actually meant "Eighther physics", not game mechanics! My suggestion is a cosmetic effect; water drains over the pit lip to create a (spectacular) waterfall. Even if you can't bring the great flood to the dungeon, you can still join the party!

Plus, it would allow us to speculate how the water fills its basin, seemingly without end.

02-07-2009 at 10:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Nuntar wrote:
Unless you can come up with a way to improve the physics that won't break existing holds, I don't think this suggestion will get very far.
Well, a waterfall vanishing in the murky depths of the pit would sure look cool. And I think waterskippers should be smart enough to stay away from them, as would be people on platforms...

That, or water next to a pit should get a seam that keeps the water in... ;)

np: Joy Division - Candidate (Unknown Pleasures Extras)

02-07-2009 at 11:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
I always assumed that there was a slight lip at the pit edge that kept the water in a concave impression without it flowing over the pit edge without there actually being a wall in that instance.

It still looks kind of wonky, which is why you'll find that in most of my holds I never place water next to pit in the first place.

02-08-2009 at 02:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Why not give it the discworld world-edge treatment? Waterfall + fences to prevent people from falling off... ;)

np: Fennesz - The Colour Of Three (Black Sea)

02-08-2009 at 10:04 AM
agaricus5
And one more idea on the pit death theme:

As you may know, some pits are bottomless, but some aren't. It would be cool to have a special effect for pit bottoms you can see, where things that fall into pits hit the bottom and smash into lots of pieces.

03-02-2009 at 07:39 PM
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
That... seems a little too gory.

It would be more natural, but DROD is a very unnatural game, ya?

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
03-02-2009 at 07:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
12th Archivist wrote:
That... seems a little too gory.

It would be more natural, but DROD is a very unnatural game, ya?
Heh. I don't think gore is a valid reason to dismiss any DROD feature request, realism or no.

How many monsters have you smitten in your DRODistic career? How much blood have you spilt in doing so (or not, as the case may be)? I mean, when you stab anything containing blood, it bounces everywhere! I'd consider that more gory by far.

03-02-2009 at 07:51 PM
12th Archivist
Do you mean just that Beethro blows up into bouncing blood when he dies, or his body parts actually get torn apart from each other? Blowing up into blood is okay, but watching his body parts separate into multiple units (with blood) seems gory.

03-02-2009 at 08:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
12th Archivist wrote:
Do you mean just that Beethro blows up into bouncing blood when he dies, or his body parts actually get torn apart from each other? Blowing up into blood is okay, but watching his body parts separate into multiple units (with blood) seems gory.
Well, I'm not sure about how a disintegrating Beethro would work. That would be hard to animate at the very least. A blood explosion is fine with me (although kudos if anyone can come up with a not-too-gory method of dismembering Beethro).

What I was more thinking of are structural things, such as bridges and trapdoors, smashing into lots of pieces when they hit the bottom. Anything on top (e.g. potions, orbs, mirrors) would also disintegrate too.

[Last edited by agaricus5 at 03-02-2009 08:17 PM]
03-02-2009 at 08:16 PM
12th Archivist
Oh! That makes more sense! Very well, that is a good idea.

03-02-2009 at 08:31 PM
deadman
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 12
I love this request. :thumbsup
03-05-2009 at 05:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
I like the idea as long as it doesn't look too similar to existing sprites (thinking more about the bridge remnants than Beethro as the bridge remains would persist). I already struggle with telling certain pit walls from floor tiles.
03-06-2009 at 11:45 AM
Briareos
Syntax wrote:
I like the idea as long as it doesn't look too similar to existing sprites (thinking more about the bridge remnants than Beethro as the bridge remains would persist). I already struggle with telling certain pit walls from floor tiles.
The way I understand it this is meant just to show everything going to pieces at the bottom, but without leaving anything behind - just like the blood spatters when you stab something.

np: Coldcut - Aid Dealer (ft. Soweto Kinch) (Sound Mirrors)

03-06-2009 at 12:39 PM
Moo
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 224
You fall and fade out (and don't bleed) when dying in a pit now, so this can be closed.
07-22-2014 at 01:42 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Pit Death (Things that could happen to stuff that falls into pits. (Some suggestions for DROD 4.0))
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com