Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Invasion Of The Critters
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Jeff_Ray...
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 962
IP: Logged

File: Invasion Of The Critters.drh (3.1 MB)
Downloaded 96 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Invasion Of The Critters (0)  
Before I go on, I am aware that Test Of The Mind isn't finished. However, I started this project not long ago, and I stuck with it. I think it's a vast improvement from ToM, but whether you think it is or not is up to you.

In this hold, you play as 42nd Guard, who will be named 'Guard' in the hold who finds out that the Empire was run over by strange monsters. He sets to find out what's behind this mess.

Current demo content: 3 levels, checkpoints.

If anything's missing or should be added/removed/changed, do tell.

EDIT: Added some lights in an area, and made some score checkpoint/autosave changes.

EDIT 2: Level 3 and Level 2 Pt. 2 changed. It should be a bit tougher. But I can't promise anything.
(Quick Remove: Added lights and map scripts for level 3, added checkpoints and autosaves)

EDIT 3: A bug in Level 3 was fixed, and a Level 1 checkpoint was reverted to normal status.

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

[Last edited by Jeff_Ray... at 03-19-2009 09:37 PM]
02-06-2009 at 11:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
icon Re: Invasion Of The Critters (0)  
Actually, I quite like it. I've beaten it so far. It's quite good, and the only problem is a slight lack of hp. But it's not really necessary to add more, it would just make it easier. What's with the room with the health behind yellow doors? It's not really worth it unless you're really desperate. But if you're really desperate, you should just go back a little and skip a few monsters with yellow keys.
02-07-2009 at 02:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Budja
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
Very hard, especially

[Last edited by Budja at 02-07-2009 07:05 AM]
02-07-2009 at 04:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
deftriver
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 75
Nuntar wrote:
This is insanely difficult :angry

I agree...but I like it, even though I can't get anywhere.
02-07-2009 at 09:16 PM
Budja
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
A suggestion,

02-08-2009 at 06:25 AM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Budja is quite right, and I would actually prefer an inventory. My end stats: 2679/98/40/18/3/0. What was I supposed to use all the yellow keys for? The hold seems pretty well-balance so far, and I liked it :) As for dificulty I'd say mxvladi makes the most dificult holds right now. That contest entry... Man that was tough!
02-08-2009 at 02:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
Blondbeard wrote:
As for dificulty I'd say mxvladi makes the most dificult holds right now. That contest entry... Man that was tough!

:blush

Hmm... this seems to be a tough hold. Having no clue what to do so far. Will comment when I finish this.

[Last edited by mxvladi at 02-08-2009 02:37 PM]
02-08-2009 at 02:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Blondbeard wrote:
My end stats: 2679/98/40/18/3/0.

... 98ATK? 18 keys?!? Whoa... my hold is SO forgiving!

I think I'll do like Chaco did and I'll remake the levels... what were your stats upon entry of Level 3 (Oremite Fight)?

Also, people have been complaining about the first level. I'll see what I can do, but for now, I'll leave it as it is.

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

[Last edited by Jeff_Ray... at 02-13-2009 02:26 AM]
02-13-2009 at 02:25 AM
Fang
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 175
Oh, you can count on Blondbeard to break what you think is the max optimisation of your hold. :p I'll actually need his help to set up the optional last boss of my hold later. He's just too good.

02-13-2009 at 04:04 AM
Blondbeard
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
Blondbeard wrote:
My end stats: 2679/98/40/18/3/0.

... 98ATK? 18 keys?!? Whoa... my hold is SO forgiving!

I think I'll do like Chaco did and I'll remake the levels... what were your stats upon entry of Level 3 (Oremite Fight)?

Also, people have been complaining about the first level. I'll see what I can do, but for now, I'll leave it as it is.

Not quite as good when I entered level 3 :P (1502/42/20/5/1/0). But I do have three easily obtainable atk gems from level 1, and probably around 600 in health-potions. And thanks for the compliment, Fang. I'll try to look at your hold when I have time.
02-14-2009 at 05:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Alright! I revamped Level 3. It's much bigger, and divided in three parts. Also, I made level 1 a bit easier, and the second part in Level 2 was modded to fit with the progress made by the player in the new Level 3.

Enjoy!

Also, Blondbeard, I'd like a progress report after the Level 2 Pt. 2 End Checkpoint.

My score:

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

[Last edited by Jeff_Ray... at 03-16-2009 11:53 PM]
03-16-2009 at 11:50 PM
Blondbeard
What do you name level 2? The Unctrage Rage?

Edit: Going through The Wooden Warehouse is very difficult. I have to replay it, and be less careful about conserving yellow keyes. Also I think you have to find the NW secret room in order for it to be possible at all.

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 03-17-2009 12:51 PM]
03-17-2009 at 09:49 AM
Jeff_Ray...
Yes, it's Uncturage Rage.

As for Wooden Warehouse, glad to know that you're not skipping through it. That means that it should be the right difficulty for now.

Alright, give me the score you have when you finish the 2nd part of Uncturage Rage so I know whether you got a lot more or only a slight bit more.

EDIT: Also, I'd like input on the guiding scrolls and the auto map system (which makes the surrounding rooms visible so you can plan ahead. Like them? Don't like them? Think it should be improved? Please tell.

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

[Last edited by Jeff_Ray... at 03-17-2009 08:29 PM]
03-17-2009 at 03:43 PM
Blondbeard
Wooden Blade autosave: 493, 25, 10, 0, 0, 0.

And there are some errors I would like to point out. The "check point" in 2N1W Level 1 works like a wall.

In Wooden Warehouse 2S1W nothing happens.

The cut scene in Wooden Warehouse 1N1E never ends.

Wooden Warehouse 1N4W is a bit too hard to find (IMO), since it seems to be necesarry for progress.

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 03-17-2009 09:10 PM]
03-17-2009 at 09:09 PM
Jeff_Ray...
What I meant by Uncturage Rage part 2 was the part you do after Wooden Warehouse.

As for the other problems, I'll handle them.

EDIT: As for 2S1W, I didn't get to code the cutscene just yet. I'll have that done when I make a new release with level 4 in it.

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

[Last edited by Jeff_Ray... at 03-18-2009 08:04 PM]
03-18-2009 at 07:43 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624

File: notes_chaco_creepycity.txt (2.7 KB)
Downloaded 45 times.
License: Public Domain
Alright, attached are my playthrough notes for the first level (section) of the game (from the start of the game to entering Uncturage Rage for the first time)

Creepy City is a difficult level to go through, particularly due to the player's low power level and the large damage just about everything does, but it is well-designed and it takes a good strategy to get through it.

Hopefully I have enough strength and resources to do the next level properly; if not I'll need to redo level 1 and see if I can do it better. I don't think I've done anything unintended with the level, so aside from the checkpoint issue I've noted (the checkpoint near the stairs doesn't work because it's a visible character) I don't think it needs to be changed.

Good work so far, Jeff. Looking forward to seeing this completed. :)

03-18-2009 at 08:46 PM
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
Afer some attempts, I've finally completed Oremite fight! :w00t

my stats after completing it:

Overall, I enjoyed much what I've seen so far. The main thing was to start first level well enough, and then it's not too hard. The hardest thing is optimising...
03-18-2009 at 09:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Oremite Fight? Ah, you didn't update... well, the 3rd level was modified to be tougher and quite bigger.

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

03-18-2009 at 09:37 PM
Blondbeard
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
What I meant by Uncturage Rage part 2 was the part you do after Wooden Warehouse.

I don't think you can get there due to the never ending cutscene in Wooden Warehouse 1N1E
03-18-2009 at 09:41 PM
Jeff_Ray...
That was fixed. I have a new version right up. Enjoy. :)

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

03-19-2009 at 09:51 PM
Blondbeard
The Rattlesnake is quite an easy match after Wooden Warehouse. However the staircase there ends the hold.
03-20-2009 at 09:15 PM
Blondbeard
All done! I like the automap system. For me the hardest part was to complete Wooden Warehouse. I ended the hold (second part of Uncturage Rage) with the folowing stats: 155/40/11/6/0/0. Score 1156. In Wooden Warehouse 1E you can get both bonuses by leaving your sword behind. Intended? Also: I have a lot of Greckles. Around 2700.

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 03-20-2009 09:56 PM]
03-20-2009 at 09:53 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Invasion Of The Critters
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com