Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Any advise on a good TV show? (I'm thinking of Star Trek)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Blondbeard
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1486
IP: Logged
icon Any advise on a good TV show? (0)  
Me and my girlfriend have just finished watching all the Friends episodes. We would now like to find something else to watch. I'm thinking of Star Trek, since it's SF, and a classic, but where to begin? Is it a good idea to start with the original? Or do you have some completly diferent recomendation? My girlfriend is quite sensetive to violence and gore, by the way.
11-06-2008 at 11:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
icon Re: Any advise on a good TV show? (+1)  
My first thought was Battlestar Galactica. But that misses on the violence and gore side. So I would recommend Stargate. (If you are looking for SF)

I wish that man would stay away
11-07-2008 at 12:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Snacko
Rank Points: 448
If you want a good SF show, I'd go with Firefly. It just seems to have more...heart...than Star Trek.

11-07-2008 at 01:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
noma
Rank Points: 1594
I would second both Galactica and Firefly (after watching the Firefly series, rent the movie Serenity.) Yes, both shows have some violence (and maybe a bit of gore) but in my opinion, there's very worth watching. Maybe your girlfriend could cover her eyes now and then?

I would add Six Feet Under. Brilliant. A couple of episodes have a bit of violence, but that's it. And while there are dead bodies, there's no gore that I remember.

Also, if you enjoyed Friends, you should like Will & Grace. Totally violence & gore-free, with lots of humour, cattiness and sarcasm instead.
11-07-2008 at 02:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lamkin
Rank Points: 606
Flight of the Conchords is exceptional. :tvhappy
11-07-2008 at 03:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
I'm watching the Firefly series with my girlfriend right now (first time for her), and although she loves the medical shows, she's averted her eyes at some of the scenes in Firefly. They aren't really that bad for TV, and I hate not recommending it, but there's enough violence in general (there's a gunfight or fistfight at least in every episode) that I doubt she'll like it.

Quantum Leap might be a good choice, though. Man, I loved that show.

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-07-2008 at 04:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
cheese obsessive
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 219
I dunno if you're in the mood for something absolutely hilarious, but my roommate just got me into It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

The show seriously reminds me of a more mature version of Ed Edd and Eddy.
11-07-2008 at 05:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Well, I'm probably odd here, but since I still haven't watched Firefly (though I've got the DVDs a year ago) and Battlestar Galactica is a bit too violent I'd recommend Star Trek Voyager, which I watched all the way through some months ago...

Oh, and House M.D., but since it's a medical show it's got blood and operations here and there...

[Last edited by Briareos at 11-07-2008 04:01 PM]
11-07-2008 at 08:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Blondbeard
icon Re: Any advise on a good TV show? (0)  
Thanks! All advise are welcome :)
11-07-2008 at 03:06 PM
Dex Stewart
Rank Points: 355
Briareos wrote:
Oh, and House M.D., but since it's a medical show it's got blood and operations here and there...

Yeah. I have to second that. Also, I really enjoyed ReGenesis. Not necessarily medical, but in that direction. You might want to be warned though, there's quite some swearing and everybody has sex with everyone else, so if that bothers you too much, you might want to not watch it, but besides that it's fantastic.

Another minor disadvantage is that only two seasons out of four are out on DVD and the other two might take a while.
11-07-2008 at 03:34 PM
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
I got into Dead Like Me one summer when Sci Fi was running all the episodes. It's not great, but its pretty cute. And it has Mandy Patinkin. And my wife liked the series as well.

There are a number of Cute shows on USA (some are available on DVD): My wife and I really like Psych, and earlier seasons of Monk (We still watch Monk, though mostly because it's on right before Psych). And Burn Notice is fun, slightly less cute, but not really gross (a little bit of violence and some sex.

And Eureka, on the Sci Fi channel.

Edit:
Also, I really liked Sports Night. And when I was younger, Northern Exposure. Both are fairly non-offensive. Though I caught a couple of episodes of NE over the summer, and I don't think it's aged all that well.

[Last edited by stigant at 11-07-2008 03:50 PM]
11-07-2008 at 03:45 PM
Garlonuss
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 275
Since nobody seems to be sticking up for it, I'll throw my hat in for the original idea of Star Trek. Of course, that is coming from a guy who has all of the movies on Special Edition DVD as well as every season of every show on DVD (including the animated series (yes there is an animated series (yes I have no problem nesting parentheticals (no I have no idea where I'm going with this whole thing (where was I?)))))

Anyways, you get a good variety in the Star Trek library depending on the show you choose. DS9 is much more soap-opera-y (yes that is now a word (crud I'm doing (it again (aren't (I?))))) The original series at time seems more like magic than Sci-Fi, but it still works. Etc.

Of course, I also love Firefly, House, Monk, Psych, and I recently became a fan of Burn Notice. In Burn Notice's favor, there are fewer episodes for you to go through than, say, Monk, Psych or even Star Trek (727 episodes and 10 [soon to be 11} movies? and you say Burn Notice has less than that? No fooling?>.

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Garlonuss at 11-07-2008 08:11 PM]
11-07-2008 at 08:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1306
I think the best two star trek shows were TNG and (I'll probably get slammed for this if some of my friends find out I wrote this) Voyager.
11-08-2008 at 05:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
robin
Rank Points: 842
Someone Else wrote:
I think the best two star trek shows were TNG and (I'll probably get slammed for this if some of my friends find out I wrote this) Voyager.

I couldn't be more agreed with this statement.
DS9 is kinda soapy like metioned above.
TNG and VOY are more about exploring and that's my favourite thing actually

11-09-2008 at 11:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5064
I'm all for Star Trek. My wife and I are finishing watching the Voyager series this week and had a lot of fun with that show. Also, for me, TNG had the most intriguing plot lines overall. We also enjoyed "Enterprise" a lot for various reasons, through I understand many trekkies pan it. I guess I'm a sucker for serial content, especially when we're talking about sci-fi technologies. I've only watched the first season or two of DS9 back when it first aired, and I understand things got much more interesting in the series after that point, so we'll have to watch that whole series soon.

Garlonuss, I see your paren-fu is strong.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 11-09-2008 09:49 PM]
11-09-2008 at 09:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Decissions decissions... I watched some episodes of Voyager with my family a long time ago, and liked it back then. It has been recomanded some times as well. And Firefly seems worthwile to look up. Although I don't know if I can easily buy it from Sweden. If anyone knew it would be great. We are also thinking about Six feet under, and I have been recomanded Sex and the city by several people, but I'm sceptic. The little I've seen of the show seemed so shallow, but I've only seen like five minutes each from a number of episodes. Does anyone here like Sex and the city, and does anybody don't like it?

Also: Thanks for everyones sugestions! I really apreaciate it.
11-09-2008 at 11:14 PM
Lamkin
I honestly don't know of any guys who really enjoy Sex and the City, although I've seen a few episodes and can sort of see the appeal (as there are four rather talented actresses and some decent writing).
If you (two) enjoyed Friends, then I'd thoroughly recommend the BBC show Coupling.
11-09-2008 at 11:27 PM
Briareos
Blondbeard wrote:And Firefly seems worthwile to look up. Although I don't know if I can easily buy it from Sweden.
You could always buy it from the UK (or rather, Jersey - but below 22 EUR you needn't worry about customs...) - it's not even expensive... :)

(Unless you want/need it dubbed into Swedish, of course... ;))

np: Rhythm & Sound with Jah Cotton - Dem Never Know (See Mi Yah)

11-10-2008 at 04:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Briareos wrote:
Blondbeard wrote:And Firefly seems worthwile to look up. Although I don't know if I can easily buy it from Sweden.
You could always buy it from the UK (or rather, Jersey - but below 22 EUR you needn't worry about customs...) - it's not even expensive... :)

(Unless you want/need it dubbed into Swedish, of course... ;))

np: Rhythm & Sound with Jah Cotton - Dem Never Know (See Mi Yah)

I couldn't order from that site, since they don't deliver items priced in pounds outside UK :( All the DVDs unfortunatly seems priced in pounds.
11-10-2008 at 09:58 PM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
How bout Arrested Development?

[Last edited by Jacob at 11-11-2008 12:59 AM]
11-10-2008 at 11:14 PM
Lamkin
I'll second Jacob's recommendation of that show.
11-11-2008 at 12:32 AM
Briareos

File: eypo.png (2.2 KB)
Downloaded 262 times.
License: Public Domain
Blondbeard wrote:
I couldn't order from that site, since they don't deliver items priced in pounds outside UK :( All the DVDs unfortunatly seems priced in pounds.
Ummm... that's why they sneakily conveniently put an EU flag[1] in the top right corner with an € next to it so you can switch to EUR pricing at your convenience... ;)

(Yeah, it doesn't keep the selected currency in the URL, so switching to EUR then navigating somewhere else defaults back to UKP in a new session... but still - 15.49 EUR w/ free shipping is a bargain...)

[1]
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Briareos at 11-11-2008 08:30 AM]
11-11-2008 at 08:30 AM
Blondbeard
Thank you Briareos! Guys like me needs guys like you, to spot the sneakines in life. It seems like a good place to buy DVDs, and I suspect we will use it a lot. We have now bought Firefly, and look forward to try it. I just hope my girlfriend won't be too troubled about the violent parts.

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 11-11-2008 09:34 AM]
11-11-2008 at 09:16 AM
Beef Row
Rank Points: 471
Blondbeard wrote:
Thank you Briareos! Guys like me needs guys like you, to spot the sneakines in life. It seems like a good place to buy DVDs, and I suspect we will use it a lot. We have now bought Firefly, and look forward to try it. I just hope my girlfriend won't be too troubled about the violent parts.

So I still haven't watched this, but from what I understand, there's no proper ending in the series itself. The ending was finally released as the movie "Serenity", so you'll probably need that at some point too.

11-11-2008 at 09:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Beef Row wrote:
So I still haven't watched this, but from what I understand, there's no proper ending in the series itself. The ending was finally released as the movie "Serenity", so you'll probably need that at some point too.
Yep. I've seen Serenity in our cinema then bought the Firefly DVDs, so it's all out of order for me... :lol

Oh, and Blondbeard - take note that Play.com is located in Jersey, which happens to be a small channel island off the coast of France - and which also happens to not be part of the EU, which in turn means you might have to pay customs and import tax on goods that cost more than 22 EUR (excluding any shipping costs)...

11-11-2008 at 01:16 PM
trick
Rank Points: 2580
Pushing Daisies. (It's a happy sunshine fairytale about a piemaker who resurrects dead people and then kills them off again.)
11-11-2008 at 08:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
trick wrote:
Pushing Daisies. (It's a happy sunshine fairytale about a piemaker who resurrects dead people and then kills them off again.)
Are you sure that satisfies the "low violence and gore" constraints?

I didn't recommend Dexter or the Terminator TV series either... :P

(Eh, well - going by IMDB he can only revive them for a minute, so I guess it's not out-right "killing" them again...)

np: The Orb - Into The 4th Dimension (John Peel - 02.10.90) (The BBC Sessions (Disc 1))

11-11-2008 at 09:14 PM
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
Pushing Daisies does have some cartoonesque gore and violence. I thought about recommending it, but didn't for those reasons. But its all very cartoony as compared to the "gritty-realism" of a show like CSI or Dexter.

11-11-2008 at 09:53 PM
noma
Rank Points: 1594
Pushing Daisies is one of the smartest, funniest, most charming and under-appreciated series currently on television... that is probably going to get cancelled because it's too clever for its own good. And it better not. YOU HEAR ME, NETWORK EXECUTIVES? *menacing squint* It better not.

er. Pay no attention to the, um, overexuberant person above. Anyway... Season One is available on DVD, but because of the writer's strike it only had 9 episodes. However, the show is worth checking out for the visuals alone. You simply cannot be unhappy while watching a Pushing Daisies episode. (You'll see what I mean.) And there's always pie. How could anything really bad happen, when there's always pie?
11-12-2008 at 01:21 AM
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
noma wrote:
Pushing Daisies is one of the smartest, funniest, most charming and under-appreciated series currently on television... that is probably going to get cancelled because it's too clever for its own good. And it better not. YOU HEAR ME, NETWORK EXECUTIVES? *menacing squint* It better not.

Umm - is it an American show, or at least American owned? I only ask because it does seem as though "Americans" (and by that I mean the ones who own TV shows) are very good at killing off very good series. Farscape was killed off at a day's notice to the cast and it was head and shoulders above any Sci-Fi that's been on for the last . . oh I don't know, probably since the first Dr Who. Invasion was also stopped in its tracks for no apparent reason.

Oh and in answer to your question noma ("YOU HEAR ME, NETWORK EXECUTIVES?") - no they don't! I doubt if they ever do. There was a huge outcry and campaign when Farscape was cancelled - I even wrote to the 'high heid yin' in the USA!! (and I have never written to anyone anywhere, before or since, about a TV show). Did it make them reinstate series 5? :lol :lol :lol

:weep

11-12-2008 at 04:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Any advise on a good TV show? (I'm thinking of Star Trek)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com