Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : The Test Of Mind
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1302
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Test Of Mind (0)  
Not to mention an abundance of keys
11-13-2008 at 12:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
Here's level 4, 5 and 6 all together! I expect you to have a more or less hard time with getting through it. Ah well, enjoy the new presents!

WARNING: HOLD CONTAINS TRACES OF HOT TILES AND AUMTLICH

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

[Last edited by Jeff_Ray... at 11-30-2008 02:08 PM]
11-30-2008 at 01:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Can't make it past level 4. There isn't a vaild exit after visting the spooksweilder.

EDIT: Odd, I replayed the level and now it doesn't seem to be a problem.

EDIT 2: Odd. You don't have enough attack avaliable to progress the the 5th level.

[Last edited by NiroZ at 11-30-2008 04:18 PM]
11-30-2008 at 03:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
The fifth level is really difficult - I had to use the altar up to the eighth time. (By the time I fought the Pirate I had 293 ATK and 260 DEF.)

I'll post more commentary later, but so far I like what I see. It could just use some work.

11-30-2008 at 05:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lamkin
Rank Points: 606
A simply fantastic hold...
Apparently I'm not doing too bad for a tenderfoot.:rolleyes

Tarantula Defeated.

Weakling Defeated.

Captain Defeated.

[Edit: Aargh! I hadn't realized that my stats could be boosted via greckles in the forest as well.]

[Last edited by Lamkin at 12-01-2008 09:26 AM]
12-01-2008 at 04:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Really nice work, Jeff! A few word though: Do you require the player to find the Realy Big Sword? If so you might want to give some more hints. Like the hero saying in front of the red door (where the grappler is): "I would need a portable orb to open that door!". I personaly found it very tempting to use it on the blue door of part 5 in order to get that sword.

If you don't have the sword I find clones a really bad idea, since they requre you to have at least twice as much ATK as your base defense. The punnish players for having choosen DEF at altars. Also they are kind of boring, even if you do have the sword. There's no challange to leaving potions behind. It's just tedious, since it requires you to run back and forth, back and forth.

And lastly: 1) Your Inventory needs to start working. As it is now there's no way to get the wall walk, since you can't carry it and the grapler or the flippers simultaniously. You also want to carry both the wyrmsmiter and the really big sword. And 2 It is impossible to get the flippers. In fact it's a death trap going after them, since the game colapses if you try to take out Spookswielder from behind, and if you try to attack him from the front he closes the door you have to escape through after getting the flippers. And 3) It's really mean having secret walls not leading anywhere, like in Chumpfreze Fridge 3N3E. Especially if you need to go back all the way for the wodden sword in order to check it out. I don't know... maybe you plan to add a secret here, and a working inventory, so that players can bring the wodden sword?

My endstats was as follows (if I maximize them quite good): HP 3892, Atk 635, Def 214 GR 13696 (enough to pay the master swordsman), keys 31, 17, 0, 0. In theory I could beat up the slayer, if I had a blue key, since I get some powerups after the bribable swordsman.

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 12-01-2008 07:13 AM]
12-01-2008 at 07:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Blondbeard wrote:
Do you require the player to find the Realy Big Sword?

I don't plan to force them to take it. But it helps if you can defeat the serpent guarding it.
If so you might want to give some more hints. Like the hero saying in front of the red door (where the grappler is): "I would need a portable orb to open that door!". I personaly found it very tempting to use it on the blue door of part 5 in order to get that sword.
I guess I should do that... but maybe it's not what I quite intend at first... Anyhow, I'll still add some speech to guide the players.
If you don't have the sword I find clones a really bad idea, since they requre you to have at least twice as much ATK as your base defense. The punnish players for having choosen DEF at altars. Also they are kind of boring, even if you do have the sword. There's no challange to leaving potions behind. It's just tedious, since it requires you to run back and forth, back and forth.
I thought they were a rather good idea. But hey, I could always replace them with another sword-wielding guy... or would it be better if I don't have them multiply the HP you have?
1) Your Inventory needs to start working.
Huh? Why doesn't it work? Did you try using the CMD button?
2)It is impossible to get the flippers. In fact it's a death trap going after them, since the game colapses if you try to take out Spookswielder from behind, and if you try to attack him from the front he closes the door you have to escape through after getting the flippers.
...I'll try to make a fix to that, or make the flippers acessible at any time.
And 3) It's really mean having secret walls not leading anywhere, like in Chumpfreze Fridge 3N3E. Especially if you need to go back all the way for the wodden sword in order to check it out. I don't know... maybe you plan to add a secret here, and a working inventory, so that players can bring the wodden sword?
Yeah, sounds quite mean. But the thing is that there are no wooden swords as of now... maybe I could try to add one, hidden somewhere, and make a secret there... I'll think about that.

Thanks for your comments!

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

12-01-2008 at 12:55 PM
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
Blondbeard wrote:

It worked for me, too. -_-
12-01-2008 at 01:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
mxvladi wrote:
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
Blondbeard wrote:

It worked for me, too. -_-

Never mind. I played from a old saved game. It works perfectly if I start a new game. I guess I'll have to replay it all then :P

About the Clones: Yes, it is a nice idea, if you like to run back and forth all over the place, but I found myself running half a level for every clone I encountered. A fix HP for all clones would obviously fix this, but the mechanics will still punnish players who have choosen to increase defense. IMO that ought to be changed (I already tend to choose to increase my Atk). Perhaps the clones could have your base Def + X as defense, or maybe even your base Def/2 + X. Remember that the player gets more than twice as much Def as Atk at altars, making the clones much more deadly if you chose Def than Atk as it is now.

All in all I think it might be difficult to balance clones in a good way. Up to you of course, and like I said I'm really pleased with the new levels!
12-01-2008 at 03:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mxvladi
Started playing this again(old saves had a pirate at the first room instead of red guard). My scores:

Tarantula killed

Weakling defeated

Crows slain

Captain defeated

Comments:

The first level was nice, and there's nothing wrong with it. However, in the second and third level you gave us too much HPs, so it was terribly easy. I didn't think about strategy much while solving third level. Another thing that made third level easy are golems. When I was able to kill them without losing too much HP, it became very easy. In fact, I spent about 30 HP to get two keys and ATK bonus...

Anyway, a nice hold. Now - onto the fourth level. ;)
12-01-2008 at 04:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mxvladi
Now I've killed that golem guard. My scores after his(or its) death:

And the fourth level is harder than third level! Nice job! Fighting with a lot of swordsmen, gel babies and even rattlesnake(!!!) wasn't very challenging, but was funnier than fighting those weaklings and crows(and golems) in level 3.

Good job. Now - onto the fifth level... :thumbsup :thumbsup
12-01-2008 at 05:07 PM
Blondbeard
No wonder I found the fight before part 5 so hard! I fought a pirate instead of a guard! (also because I played from a previous save. The game ought to get easier now ;))
12-01-2008 at 08:01 PM
mxvladi
Blondbeard wrote:
No wonder I found the fight before part 5 so hard! I fought a pirate instead of a guard! (also because I played from a previous save. The game ought to get easier now ;))

Fighting pirate is possible? :shock Didn't know that.

Anyway, I'd suggest anyone to start again - the game doesn't update everything in old saves.
12-01-2008 at 08:39 PM
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
Jeff, I've been enjoying playing through this. I've run into a little problem at the end of Part VI. In 3N, where I'm supposed to fight the Spookswielder, I decided to go west first to the adder room, kill the adder (with longsword; I've been one-shotting many of the monsters on this level), pick up the flippers, return east (because then Mr. Spook hasn't closed the door yet), and stab him in the back (just out of spite, as he's not blocking the path to the stairs anymore). This got me stuck in a cutscene, because Gobardo's body was blocking Mr. Spook's scripted retreat.
12-02-2008 at 05:42 AM
Blondbeard
Actually you can get the flippers, in case you are willing to sacrifice a wall walk. Obviously it is bad that the game crashes, though.

I can report that the game is MUCH easier if you didn't have to fight a pirate before part 5, and if you didn't waste any greckles on the first alter. In fact I managed to use the wall walk, in order to get to the slayer on part 7. I beat him, and proceeded to beat Spookswielder. I had the following stats for the normal ending: 4317 points (2606/579/199/38/19/0). Also: I liked the ending. It had some kind of "serious game ending" feeling to it.

Might I sugest that you let the player use his huge amount of keys for something useful in the extra level, since I guess that one is meant to be some kind of challange for the optimizer (Powerups, a really good shield, etc. Just make sure that it is motivated to use the keys from a scoring perspective).

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 12-02-2008 12:12 PM]
12-02-2008 at 12:11 PM
Lamkin
I'm of the opinion that scattering some lights might actually detract from the authenticity of a foreboding forest setting. :unsure
12-03-2008 at 06:04 AM
Jeff_Ray...
icon Re: The Test Of Mind (+1)  
Lamkin does have a point. The main section of this level is a forest. But the eastern part, though, is where lights would be more fitting.

Also, you don't need the pickaxe to move on.

Level 4's darkness was lifted away a bit. In the dark depths of a boat, it might be more fitting, but the outside doesn't need to be pitch dark.

Still, I don't get what's so annoying about dark areas... I see kind of well in there (maybe my occasional waking up in the dark was what helped)...

Also, for level six,

Also, I might have the player use his yellow keys to get a Knight or Oremite shield somewhere in the bonus level (or the 7th one). At the same time, I think I should be more strict with the keys I give away... I think I'll take the former.

These fixes might make it into the next update, along with a Spookswielder cutscene bug fix and level 7 in its completed glory.

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

12-03-2008 at 12:56 PM
Blondbeard
I just want to state that I found my way just fine. Of course it might need changing if Nuntar has troubles, but it might be good to know that not everybody did.
12-03-2008 at 03:49 PM
mxvladi
I finally bet that pirate in part 5! My scores:

Part 5 was really hard. Good job! :thumbsup
12-03-2008 at 04:16 PM
mxvladi
Hmm... Zombie, Golem Guard, Marble man and Wubbablade don't give me any REP or Greckles when I kill them. Is that intended? -_- :~(

[Last edited by mxvladi at 12-08-2008 06:28 PM]
12-04-2008 at 12:53 PM
Jeff_Ray...
Well, not really, but I forgot to make them do so. I might modify that for a later version.

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

12-04-2008 at 04:32 PM
Lamkin
The game freezes (no pun intended) at this point and I can't continue. :?

12-05-2008 at 04:41 PM
Jeff_Ray...
This bug was already reported a while ago. I made a fix to it (instead of moving, he warps).

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

12-05-2008 at 06:20 PM
Lamkin
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
This bug was already reported a while ago. I made a fix to it (instead of moving, he warps).
Jeff,
My apologies. I had thought to look, too...
:blush

[Last edited by Lamkin at 12-05-2008 07:25 PM]
12-05-2008 at 06:36 PM
Jeff_Ray...
Alright, people! I made a short update in which the dreaded Spookswielder glitch is fixed. Enjoy! :)

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

12-05-2008 at 07:19 PM
reyll3
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 33
Hmmm, i completed as much as your made, i have some questions though.

Anyway, at the moment i'm able to defeat the
, but i haven't got a blue key.

I really enjoy this hold...

12-05-2008 at 08:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

12-05-2008 at 08:14 PM
reyll3

Edit:

[Last edited by reyll3 at 12-05-2008 09:40 PM]
12-05-2008 at 09:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Weird... there are no pits you can use to skip the serpent as far as I know... any idea on where you used the grappling hook (by the way, you use it by bumping into a pit while facing it)

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

12-05-2008 at 09:40 PM
reyll3
You activate it while facing north-west on the end, clicking on the Grappling hook and then the tile in the row your facing.

[Last edited by reyll3 at 12-05-2008 09:44 PM]
12-05-2008 at 09:43 PM
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : The Test Of Mind
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com