Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Fetch The Pie (a PUBLISHED yet award-winning DROD RPG hold by Chaco)
<<3456
Page 7 of 8
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Someone Else
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1299
IP: Logged
icon Re: Fetch The Pie (0)  
Actually, I have .57 - Not as a patch, but only as an installer.
10-11-2014 at 01:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
I exported the hold out of 1.2.0.56, which is the latest version available for Mac, from the Downloads page.

Someone Else wrote:
Last EDIT because I think I got it: It might be the picture, but 'Start Cutscene' is set to 'Citizen 2' instead of 'None'. Somehow, though, that doesn't fix anything. I'm still getting lots of errors, but the game isn't crashing. It's a new one:

Huh? That's weird, when I open the hold on my end the "Start Cutscene" character has base type 'None'.

Suwako wrote:
EDIT: Ok, found where it's but not the cause, it's in the "Start Cutscene" img. I removed it and put the custom role in "None". It works. Now, reason?. I have no idea. Time to replay this :)

Let me see if I understand: you made a new copy of the hold (probably named "Suwako's Fetch the Pie"), and edited the Start Cutscene custom role so it didn't have a custom portrait, but was still a custom player role based off of 'None'? And that worked to fix the problem?

Hmm. Not sure what to think about this one - the custom portrait itself is just an all-black PNG image.

10-11-2014 at 02:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Suwako
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 145
Chaco wrote:

Suwako wrote:
EDIT: Ok, found where it's but not the cause, it's in the "Start Cutscene" img. I removed it and put the custom role in "None". It works. Now, reason?. I have no idea. Time to replay this :)

Let me see if I understand: you made a new copy of the hold (probably named "Suwako's Fetch the Pie"), and edited the Start Cutscene custom role so it didn't have a custom portrait, but was still a custom player role based off of 'None'? And that worked to fix the problem?

Hmm. Not sure what to think about this one - the custom portrait itself is just an all-black PNG image.
Yes, that's the problem, no idea why that image crash the game, maybe it's that the DROD:RPG versions are different the rest of the custom imgs work good, reached the level 8 at the fourth try, this hold is really though

10-11-2014 at 03:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
azb
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 460
Okay, then... I'm a Windows Vista user, so we need a new Windows patch if everyone can play this.

10-11-2014 at 10:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
icon Fetch The Pie Status Report (+1)  
Well, I have some very good news to report in this thread: I've managed to obtain a full-time job for the three weeks I have before I return to college in the spring semester.

This is of course wonderful, will give me valuable experience working for an actual I.T. department, and is basically sunshine and rainbows everywhere.

Of course, this means I'll have less time this winter to work on Fetch the Pie - but work on it I will regardless. And sometime between two and three weeks I'll post a partial update regardless of how much I've completed in the meantime.

I'll try to sort out all these custom images problems as soon as possible so that everyone can be playing a "good" version that can be smoothly upgraded to any partial updates or full version of the hold.

I, more than anyone else, am eager to finish this story that's been sitting around for too many years.

12-31-2014 at 10:35 PM
Chaco
icon Fetch the Pie Feb. 15th 2015 Update (0)  
Okay, a partial update has been posted showing the general layout of Level 10. It took me several iterations to be happy with this, but this layout should work alright for both the RPG gameplay and the plot.

I have some extra rooms lying around in a spare room repository, but this should be enough content for now.

I recommend playtesting in Tenth Level: 3N1E starting with 3000 HP, 750 ATK, 150 DEF, and sword 20050 (the Wyrm Piercer). Unfortunately due to the way playtesting works, the Wyrm Piercer won't run its global script unless you put it down and pick it up, so you should either use 750 ATK (without putting it down and picking it up) or use 630 ATK if you do need to put it down and pick it up for the wyrm-piercing abilities.

So, feel free to take a look around, but don't take too much stock in the whole thing since I could just change everything around at some point.

02-16-2015 at 01:34 AM
Midootje
Rank Points: 109
Chaco, as much as I'd love to check out what you've done with the place, DROD RPG crashes (Windows-error: and error has occurred and the program had to be shut down) as soon as I try to click Fetch The Pie in the Level Set choose screen. Have you placed more of those 'BEEP!'-eyes in the Tenth Level? Anyway, there's something that crashes the game before you can even see what the hold looks like.
Edit: this does not happen in the Level Editor, by the way.

[Last edited by Midootje at 02-18-2015 08:11 PM]
02-18-2015 at 08:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
reyll3
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 33
Midootje wrote:
DROD RPG crashes (Windows-error: and error has occurred and the program had to be shut down) as soon as I try to click Fetch The Pie in the Level Set choose screen.

Same thing is happening here. It just beeps and exits the game.
Seems like the issue from before isn't fixed yet.

[Last edited by reyll3 at 02-28-2015 06:30 AM]
02-28-2015 at 01:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Chaco
icon Fetch The Pie Mar. 29th 2015 Update (+1)  
Okay, following some tips from kieranmillar, hyperme and Doom in chat today, I've made some changes to the hold that should hopefully keep the game from crashing.

There's no content changes here, but I deleted the Start Cutscene character from the hold and changed all references to Player Role Start Cutscene to Player Role None, on the theory that this custom portrait was causing issues. I also fixed the speech in the 2100 Greckle Watcher custom script.

Both of these characters occur in Zeroth Level: The Entrance, the first room the Hold Preview screen loads when first switching to the hold in the Change Location screen.

Maybe this will fix matters.

EDIT: Based on further comments, I've removed all custom tiles from the hold as well. Everything is now a wubba, except for Guardian Targets, which are now mud babies.

[Last edited by Chaco at 03-29-2015 07:21 PM]
03-29-2015 at 06:30 PM
Chaco
icon Fetch The Pie Mar. 29th Update #4 (+1)  
Based on extra comments by kieranmillar, I've made an actual gameplay change to the hold.

He rightfully pointed out that there was no time limit on completing the optional level First Interlude, and players could go back and complete it way later in the game when their stats were much higher. I agree that this is a little silly and not really what I intended, so I've installed a time-limiter pressure plate in Third Level 3N (that closes a new gate in Second Level 6N1E) that represents the furthest you can travel in the hold without beating that level.

03-29-2015 at 08:35 PM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4576
I thought the idea of making it skippable at all was that people without normal-DROD skills wouldn't be prevented from finishing the hold? In that case, I would suggest doing the same as I did in Nameless Fortress: if you start the next level and then go back, a variable is set that prevents the scorepoint activating.

03-29-2015 at 09:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
icon Fetch The Pie Mar. 30th 2015 Update (+1)  
I've made a minor update to the hold again, fixing a bug in Fourth Level 2S9E where I forgot to update a cutscene to Player Role None, which caused a problem with a stair ascension. I checked all the other staircases and there shouldn't be any similar problems.

Nuntar wrote:
I thought the idea of making it skippable at all was that people without normal-DROD skills wouldn't be prevented from finishing the hold? In that case, I would suggest doing the same as I did in Nameless Fortress: if you start the next level and then go back, a variable is set that prevents the scorepoint activating.

After giving the matter some thought, I'm sticking with what I did here, because the reward for completing the Interlude is so high (the power gem behind it and the potential of removing the wooden sword from it) that there's no point in restructuring the hold so that that reward is optional.

Besides, there's a lot of DROD-like puzzles later in the hold that aren't optional, and I think they're one of the two things really differentiating the gameplay here from that of any other RPG hold. (The other, of course, being that only power gems are available, defense coming only from equipment.)

03-30-2015 at 10:27 PM
Chaco
icon Fetch The Pie Mar. 31st 2015 Update (+1)  
Just fixed *another* problem, this time in Fifth Level 1S1E and 2S1E where I again forgot to set the player role to None instead of Start Cutscene. That's fixed now. Shouldn't be any similar problems.

03-31-2015 at 10:53 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
icon Re: Fetch The Pie (+1)  
Slowly playing through this. Just got to Fifth Level and found that entering 2E through the tunnel triggers an endless cutscene. Looks like another case of incorrect player role.

This is in the Mar31 version.
04-06-2015 at 02:25 PM
Chaco
icon Fetch the Pie Apr. 6th 2015 Update (+1)  
Doom wrote:
Slowly playing through this. Just got to Fifth Level and found that entering 2E through the tunnel triggers an endless cutscene. Looks like another case of incorrect player role.

This is in the Mar31 version.

Okay, fixed that problem and a similar one in 1E. New version uploaded. Thanks for the pointer.

04-06-2015 at 03:06 PM
Doom
A couple rooms more progress -- Fifth Level: 1S4E has the same problem. That cutscene fix is proving quite problematic.

Oh, and
Click here to view the secret text

04-06-2015 at 05:37 PM
Midootje
Happy birthday!!

04-06-2015 at 06:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
icon Re: Fetch The Pie (+2)  
Doom wrote:
A couple rooms more progress -- Fifth Level: 1S4E has the same problem. That cutscene fix is proving quite problematic.

Alright, fixed that, and fixed similar problems in Seventh Level 2S15W, Eighth Level 10W, and Ninth Level 1W. That should be all the cutscenes, I hope.

04-07-2015 at 01:43 AM
Midootje
Finished up to the platform in the west side of Ninth Level. Stats:
4K-ish/761/150, 18/18/0/0 keys!

04-09-2015 at 08:42 PM
Gordius
Rank Points: 91
Playing through this for the I'm not sure how many-th time, and I'm finally giving up and asking about 6:5N. Is it possible to get the reward without killing the eye? It looks like a puzzle and most of Chaco's other puzzles I've been able to find a solution for eventually, but this one I'm stuck on.
04-18-2015 at 12:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Gordius wrote:
I'm finally giving up and asking about 6:5N. Is it possible to get the reward without killing the eye?
Not that I know of. The best you can do is just use the tunnel (and a closed greckle gate) to surprise-kill it from behind.

[Last edited by Chaco at 04-18-2015 01:45 AM]
04-18-2015 at 01:45 AM
Gordius
Rank Points: 91
Chaco wrote:
Gordius wrote:
I'm finally giving up and asking about 6:5N. Is it possible to get the reward without killing the eye?
Not that I know of. The best you can do is just use the tunnel (and a closed greckle gate) to surprise-kill it from behind.

Oh, wow, it had never occurred to me that killing these eyes from behind would even have a benefit. Now I can see how you can both do that here and in the room to the west (where there's clearly no place for the eye to stand and not depress the plate). That makes so much better sense of this puzzle.
04-18-2015 at 12:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Doom
icon Re: Fetch The Pie (+3)  
All done with the current version up to the raft.

Finished the cleanup in earlier levels with

Fun hold with an enormous amount of content. Didn't run into any new script-related problems in the rest of the playthrough. I can only think of small improvements at the moment.

- Orb in L4:5E could be moved slightly to make ctrl-movement easier. I think it actually interrupted me at least a dozen times.
- Rattlesnake sign in L5:1E gives you the map scroll every time you read it. Other signs didn't do this as far as I recall.
- L6:5N I stared at this room for a long time and thought it's just a red herring. Had no idea you could surprise an eye that's awake, and would never have learned it without the last post. Maybe this can be explained somewhere, since moving monsters aren't standard elements. It has very minor benefits though, so it's not a big deal.
- Similarly I didn't know that you can stun eyes before L7:7S13W. I can't remember if it was actually ever useful before that, but in case it was, it'd be a good idea to leave a note somewhere.

[Last edited by Doom at 04-18-2015 07:21 PM]
04-18-2015 at 01:29 PM
Chaco
icon Fetch the Pie March 7th 2016 Update (+3)  
Alright, I've been making a big effort over the past couple of weeks to get the hold Finished. I'm still not quite done, but I might as well post an intermediate hold update.

I've added lots of new features, which should make the hold a bit easier to play, including a warp system to aid backtracking. Unfortunately, this new system (combined with me having a fresh player file) necessitates I change the hold ID (to prevent intermediate save games with already-loaded rooms and new rooms from the new version).

So, I may as well post the hold version with the new ID today, to give people a chance to play through it again (and note changes). The Tenth Level is mostly done, but the final boss is not yet fully implemented.

Full changelog:

[Last edited by Chaco at 03-07-2016 06:54 PM]
03-07-2016 at 06:52 PM
Lucky Luc
Rank Points: 1215
Just a quick note that I'm enjoying this very much so far and that the inventory square at the beginning of Second Interlude currently ends the hold.
03-10-2016 at 03:20 PM
Chaco
Lucky Luc wrote:
the inventory square at the beginning of Second Interlude currently ends the hold.

Okay, fixed in my local copy. I'm not going to immediately upload a new version just for that, though.

03-10-2016 at 04:55 PM
Chaco
icon Fetch The Pie March 11th Update (+3)  
Alright, I think I can finally call the hold "content-complete"! The final boss is all done being scripted, and the hold has a proper ending now.

Changelog:

- Final fight completed, score checkpoint added
- Inventory square at start of Second Interlude fixed
- Two non-profitable trades added to Tenth Level 6N1W and 2N2W (2 yellow keys -> 650 HP), to potentially make it a little easier to fight the final boss at the cost of optimal score

Known bugs:

- If the final boss's grenades are blown up by some other explosion, they lose all their HP and are no longer deadly on contact. They will still move to their final targets and explode.

- I think I ironed out all the ways for the boss to blow himself up, but it's still possible that there might be some sneaky way to do it. I have a vague recollection of doing that earlier during testing, but I'm not sure if I fixed it yet or not. If so, let me know if you can figure out a consistent, reproducible way to do it.

[Last edited by Chaco at 03-11-2016 04:52 PM]
03-11-2016 at 04:44 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Woo! It'll be exciting to have this hold released! :thumbsup

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
03-11-2016 at 04:50 PM
komachi
Rank Points: 158
Great work!. I reached the last boss but he is pretty far away from me, need to optimize the last level (or everything) though.
Nice idea the teleporters, it saves lots of back and forth.
I started the 10th level with
3029 751/150/rep/greeckles 23/15/0/0.

The things I found which I think they are wrong are 4:

[Last edited by komachi at 03-11-2016 07:57 PM]
03-11-2016 at 07:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
komachi wrote:
I started the 10th level with
3029 751/150/rep/greeckles 23/15/0/0.
Since you can't backtrack to earlier levels, you should definitely get all the ATK in the hold before you go to the tenth level.

There is exactly 761 ATK in the first nine levels, and enough ATK in the tenth level to get to 1001 ATK if you get it all.

That's a fine amount of HP and keys to bring there; there's enough HP within the level to build up enough to get to the boss, if you're careful enough. Of course, more is better.

Third level:
2S: You may change the yellow door position.
I don't know what you mean by this. Do you mean "change the position so the yellow door skips all the greckle gates"? If so, that's an interesting idea and I'll probably do it.

I fixed the other three comments and will include those fixes in the next version.

[Last edited by Chaco at 03-11-2016 09:37 PM]
03-11-2016 at 09:35 PM
<<3456
Page 7 of 8
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Fetch The Pie (a PUBLISHED yet award-winning DROD RPG hold by Chaco)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com