Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : May Contest Preannoucement (Just a heads up for potential entrants)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1302
IP: Logged
icon May Contest Preannoucement (0)  
For the may contest, I'm planning on running something similar to the virtual burning man that was run roughly about a year and a half ago, but instead people will be running contests.

I hate to take the attention away from the current contest, but I though, seeing how hard it is to come up with ideas, that it was a good idea to get you guys started on thinking about small contests, challenges and puzzles that you could run for a week or two or three.
04-02-2008 at 02:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
icon Re: May Contest Preannoucement (0)  
Yay! Can I be called "Your Eminence" or do I have to get move than one?

(sorry everyone else, it's a inside joke)

I wish that man would stay away
04-02-2008 at 02:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bflatjeff
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 93
"move than one" is a private joke? I guess; I can't understand it.

BbJ

04-02-2008 at 07:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1322
No, that's just bad spelling on his part. He meant "more than one"
04-02-2008 at 07:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
noma
Rank Points: 1594
icon Re: May Contest Preannoucement (+1)  
Question: will the contests/challenges/puzzles be run individually to each visitor (I'm assuming visitors, if it's like the last "Burning" contest) or will everyone be able to see everyone else's progress?

I'm working on something and want to know if I need to tweak it one way or another.
04-13-2008 at 10:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
Could we have a bit more of an explanation re: the whole burning man thing? (related to the contests)

04-13-2008 at 10:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Beef Row
Rank Points: 471
ANother question: should we be thinking about what prize to offer?

04-13-2008 at 10:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
noma wrote:
Question: will the contests/challenges/puzzles be run individually to each visitor (I'm assuming visitors, if it's like the last "Burning" contest) or will everyone be able to see everyone else's progress?

I'm working on something and want to know if I need to tweak it one way or another.
I plan to keep a public listing of all the contests being run which will contain a link to the entrants post announcing the contest. How it operates after that is up to you, whether you want it to be done by PM or in a thread. Not so sure if submission topics are a good idea however, as Erik might not want to grant everyone submission topic privileges.
calamarain wrote:
Could we have a bit more of an explanation re: the whole burning man thing? (related to the contests)
Virtual Burning Man was a contest run a while ago that had people set up campsites and entertain visitors to these campsites.
Beef Row wrote:
ANother question: should we be thinking about what prize to offer?
Its up to you. I plan to offer a 5 points to first, 3 to second and 2 for third place, but you can offer your won prizes in addition to that if you wish. I also plan to offer a meta competition to encourage participation in the contests, but the details of that are rather sketchy. Suffice to say it is likely that having a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place on offer will be a requirement.

Additionally, I recommend that you make it so that you don't rely on user voting to determine the winner. Not that you shouldn't, but imagine if everybody does.

[Last edited by NiroZ at 04-14-2008 07:26 AM]
04-14-2008 at 07:25 AM
Beef Row
NiroZ wrote:
Additionally, I recommend that you make it so that you don't rely on user voting to determine the winner. Not that you shouldn't, but imagine if everybody does.

Hmmm, but personal fiat isn't so great either which could make subjective contests (such as most architecture, art or writing contests) tough.

Maybe a small panel of judges to allow some level of voting without it getting way out of control...

Which just gave me a really odd idea for a contest, actually.

04-15-2008 at 11:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
techant
Rank Points: 854
Well I am looking forward to this years "Virtual Burning Man". I already got a few ideas running around in my head, but none that involve birds or windstorms. :)

I had not thought of judging as an issue till it was raised in this thread and that got my brain to working some more. I plan to rely on mod points as a judging measure. Does anyone see problems with that? :w00t

04-26-2008 at 01:50 AM
NiroZ
Yeah, because it really does stack the playing field in favour of people who have lots of points. You'd be better off rounding up some experts (if there are any) to help out, or having a nomination system.

If you have to you can resort to voting, but the easier and simpler the better.
04-26-2008 at 06:25 AM
techant
Will I have time to offer a submission period and then a voting period?

I realize that it favors those with more mod points but what if that works for the contest, any other issues? :-O

04-26-2008 at 09:13 AM
NiroZ
I'm undecided between giving 3 or 4 weeks in total.
04-26-2008 at 11:37 PM
techant
NiroZ wrote:
I'm undecided between giving 3 or 4 weeks in total.

I often think it goes too long so I support 3 weeks. :yes

04-27-2008 at 01:25 AM
NiroZ
Ok, I've pretty much got the contest set up, just a few issues to sort out. Main details are: Only one contest announcement per person, although if that is fractured into multiple separate things it is fine with me.

Contest must last at least one week.

Contest must end (and by end, winner, 2nd and 3rd have been announced) within the 3 week time period.

The key points I'm looking for are Design, Management and Presentation, with originally as a bonus point.

So if I could get a quick show of hands for who is considering entering the competition, it would be helpful.
04-30-2008 at 06:34 AM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1322
:wave:
04-30-2008 at 06:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Beef Row
I'm considering entering, though I've entirely forgotten whatever the idea for a contest I mentioned above was.

04-30-2008 at 08:13 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3635
I'm entering, although I never got around to making my contest draft previous to the contest starting. Oh well. I'll think of something. :)

04-30-2008 at 10:48 AM
noma
Rank Points: 1594
I'm in.
(Not enough time to do ASCII hand.)

[Last edited by noma at 04-30-2008 11:38 AM]
04-30-2008 at 11:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
:thumbsup

05-01-2008 at 01:28 AM
The spitemaster
Rank Points: 354
:yes Me too.

I wish that man would stay away
05-01-2008 at 01:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
Do we wait or do we set up our booths now?

05-01-2008 at 01:34 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : May Contest Preannoucement (Just a heads up for potential entrants)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com