Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Snakes... to the Death! (Let's have another round.)
Page 2 of 6
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Timo006
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 518
IP: Logged
icon Re: Snakes... to the Death! (0)  
Ah, okay, I should be able to play then.

01-29-2008 at 01:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I have a problem with the snakepit - there's far too little space between the start of the game and the first obstacle, particularly on the left. That gives people on the left a window of a few hours to establish they're on the left and lock in some moves, which is just unfair for those of us who'll be sleeping.

Ideally, I'd like to see the arena extended with mostly brown tiles so there's 12 spaces or so before the first obstacle. That gives people a day to logon and see where they are.

01-30-2008 at 12:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
techant
Rank Points: 854
I agree that the right side is lacking in blockage.

01-30-2008 at 02:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1545
Mattcrampy wrote:
I have a problem with the snakepit - there's far too little space between the start of the game and the first obstacle, particularly on the left. That gives people on the left a window of a few hours to establish they're on the left and lock in some moves, which is just unfair for those of us who'll be sleeping.
If I read the rest of the thread right, the proposed turn time is 1 minute instead of 2 hours. If you're sleeping, you'll probably be long dead before you get to the game.
01-30-2008 at 03:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Ah, well in that case I'm going to have to bow out because the game'd start at 5am for me.

01-30-2008 at 12:08 PM
techant
In the original game (not pre-tests) we had time to set-up a string of moves. Will we only have 1 minute after we first see the board to set up our first moves or can we have access before so that we can set-up a string of moves? Maybe set it so we can see the real board the day before. I can't make heads or tails (pun intended :rolleyes ) of the text version, as far as the starting gates go. Are the starting gates the empty spaces? If so you can just let yours go stright for a few turns I guess.

[Last edited by techant at 01-31-2008 08:53 AM]
01-31-2008 at 08:44 AM
Mattcrampy
The game's still going to be over before I get up, techant, especially on the weekend when I'm bone idle. I'm sure there'll be a game set up at a different time later on.

01-31-2008 at 10:30 AM
Gigi
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 17
So, my solution got approved and I'm in. :)

As all this is absolutely new to me, I have a couple of questions.
I'm at GMT+1, which means that next saturday at 20:00, I'll be sitting at my computer and I'll be doubting what to do next. Any idea what I should do? Surf somewhere maybe?
Are the rules posted somewhere? Or is the Move Forward/Right/Left/Backwards , Jump F/R/L/B all there is?
What do I have to do every minute?
I found two threads on the last snake game, are there more?

Should I now shut up and wait because all my questions will be answered tomorrow?

01-31-2008 at 03:51 PM
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1545
Your only choices are Jump and Bump, just like in the entry puzzle.

You can set a queue of moves for your snake (eg JJBBBJB), and each time it hits an obstacle it'll use the move listed at the head of the queue (or bump if the queue is empty). Being able to queue ahead was particularly important when it was 2 hours a turn; with 1 minute turns you can probably type less ahead. You don't have to do something every minute though; if you know what's about to happen then you can queue up some moves and get a drink or something.

The rules are specified more fully here. The timing will change for this game, but the mechanics should be identical.

http://forum.caravelgames.com/snakes.php still has the outcome of the last game if that helps.
01-31-2008 at 10:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1306
Actually, the text version will have to be changed, because we don't have exactly 10 players. How about I stop accepting entries 24 hours before the game begins, and get the pit finalized within 6 hours of the start? If that works, we should have a long enough time before the game starts to decide what to do.
01-31-2008 at 11:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
The software randomizes the positions. However, I'd recommend that you simply expand the map outwards to leave a five or ten minute buffer.

Also, anyone can use the forum time on the front page to determine what time of day it is.

Someone else should maintain a list of interested parties on the first post.
02-01-2008 at 12:52 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Someone Else
I am, and I will expand the pit.
02-01-2008 at 01:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
Someone Else wrote:
Actually, the text version will have to be changed, because we don't have exactly 10 players. How about I stop accepting entries 24 hours before the game begins, and get the pit finalized within 6 hours of the start? If that works, we should have a long enough time before the game starts to decide what to do.

I like it!! You have me on the list right?

02-01-2008 at 05:09 AM
Someone Else
I do. You can check the list on the first post.
02-01-2008 at 06:41 PM
hartleyhair
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 307
I don't appear to be on the list...

02-01-2008 at 06:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
That's right. You didn't participate in the first contest, or give a solution to the puzzle. If you do that, I'll add you.
02-01-2008 at 06:48 PM
golfrman
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 165
I isn't on the list either. And I was in the original.

02-01-2008 at 06:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Someone Else
You're right. I apologise.
02-01-2008 at 06:58 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Unfortunately, I think I won't be able to participate this time around. I'll watch from the sidelines...looking forward to future plays if the first works out.

Josh

02-01-2008 at 06:59 PM
hartleyhair
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 307
Someone Else wrote:
That's right. You didn't participate in the first contest, or give a solution to the puzzle. If you do that, I'll add you.

Oh, whoops!

02-01-2008 at 07:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
icon Re: Snakes... to the Death! (+1)  
Okay, here's the pit. Sorry it took me so long to get it up. Remember, the contest starts in 13 hours from this post.

Click here to view the secret text

02-02-2008 at 05:59 AM
techant
I am a little confused will there be a "Snakes Page", like the first time? :blush

02-02-2008 at 09:34 AM
Someone Else
There should be, but it's not up yet. I've given Erik all the information he needs, but I did that late at night (at least for me), and so it will probably be a while.
02-02-2008 at 04:07 PM
Gigi
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 17
Am I at the wrong place or wrong day or time? Or shall I just wait a bit?

02-02-2008 at 07:16 PM
techant
I over slept what'd I miss?

02-02-2008 at 07:53 PM
Timo006
Bug: The Second Snakepit doesn't show up when you use a full-size picture. It also shows up like the next turn is in 2 hours.

EDIT: Another thing: Dex Stewart is, whatever the situation is, doomed to die within a few turns in this snakepit.

EDIT: This also counts with Coppro.

[Last edited by Timo006 at 02-02-2008 09:21 PM]
02-02-2008 at 09:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Timo006 wrote:
Bug: The Second Snakepit doesn't show up when you use a full-size picture. It also shows up like the next turn is in 2 hours.
What? It actually started?! Ok, this round was a complete disaster. I saw the old snakepit, thought we'd have to postpone this for later and now we're suddenly at turn 76 :S

EDIT: Another thing: Dex Stewart is, whatever the situation is, doomed to die within a few turns in this snakepit.
I think Someone Else mixed up jumpable blocks and solid walls when making this map :(

So, when's the second attempt?

[Last edited by Doom at 02-02-2008 09:23 PM]
02-02-2008 at 09:22 PM
Timo006
Doom wrote:
I think Someone Else mixed up jumpable blocks and solid walls when making this map :([/quote

Ah, so that's why it has some unreachable areas. :?

I suggest we start it again.

02-02-2008 at 09:28 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
Jeebus! I didn't even realise the game had started, and luckily my snake managed to survive up to this point.

I think some advance warning, perhaps a date of starting, would be nice. I also agree with Doom in that it definitely looks like the map had its solid walls/jumpable crates swapped.

02-02-2008 at 09:34 PM
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Snakes... to the Death! (+1)  
Let's just try this again. I think people including me need more warning on the time it will start.

I can set something up tomorrow (this 11am to 11pm PST). I will just need an updated list of names and the time to start. Try to give me at least 24 hours notice from the start time you want.

You can see the snake pit now at:
http://forum.caravelgames.com/snakes.php

It will get reset later when the game starts.

-Erik

02-02-2008 at 09:43 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 2 of 6
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Snakes... to the Death! (Let's have another round.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com