Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Deleting threads
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
IP: Logged
icon Deleting threads (0)  
Could the way post deletion is handled be changed so that deleting the first post in a thread no longer eliminates the thread? It's not very common that this happens, but I feel it's really unfair for all the other posters that spend time and thought writing posts only to discover their posts melted into nothingness because the thread creator didn't like the direction the conversation was going.

I'd prefer if only admins could delete whole threads.

01-21-2008 at 05:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
icon Re: Deleting threads (0)  
VIPCOOL wrote:
I don't think this is a very good idea :(. This is because if the first post of something was deleted, the other posts folowing it would be pointless. Mabye there should be an option to choose whether the whole thread gets deleted or just the post.

This is a risk with all post deletions. If I start a thread, and you respond, and I respond to you, then you delete your post, my second post is pointless. But then it's up to me to decide about it.

And the thing is, it's often not the case. I may make a post about a topic, and you may turn out to have something interesting to say about it that's interesting even if my post is no longer around. And maybe someone else (say, Tahnan) responds to you with a thoughtful answer. Then you and Tahnan get into an interesting discussion that had nothing to do with my original post. Why should I have the power to delete all your discussion?

I don't think giving a choice is a good idea. It's already possible to get rid of the first post in a thread without deleting the thread - just edit it to remove all content. But I don't like it that someone who created a thread can get rid of other people's opinions just because he or she doesn't agree with them. Or because he or she is jealous that other people got into a more interesting discussion that he or she is no longer part of. Or because that person is in a bad mood and wants to delete all the posts they made in this forum (this has happened in the past).

I think no-one other than moderators should have the power to delete anyone else's posts. It's much better to have an occasional confusing thread than to allow people to curtail other people's speech in that way.

01-21-2008 at 05:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
I like the option bit.
I think this is a titch bit overreactive, eytanz.

01-21-2008 at 06:23 PM
eytanz
Jatopian wrote:
I like the option bit.
I think this is a titch bit overreactive, eytanz.

Maybe it is, I was a bit annoyed when I wrote it. But the principle holds. I just don't see what good an option would do; you might as well leave things as they are then (which, by the way, is far from terrible, just not the choice I'd like).

This has happened to me several times, some of which were in threads considerably more important to me than the one that prompted this request. Which is partially why I get annoyed at it so much.

[Last edited by eytanz at 01-21-2008 06:56 PM]
01-21-2008 at 06:56 PM
Jutt
Rank Points: 863
I think Eytanz has a good point here. The fact that deleting the first post deletes the entitre topic is counterintuitive. When something in the Drod game engine is counterintuitive, it's called a bug and the dev team will fix it. Why not do the same for the forum?

01-21-2008 at 06:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NoahT
Rank Points: 1132
I feel the same way as Eytan. About a couple of weeks ago, someone (I won't say who) started a thread that was almost a copy of another thread they already had posted. Another person posted something constructive, which I tried to mod up, but when I refreshed the page, I found that the topic had been deleted. I must admit that I was annoyed by that, because even though the thread was pointless, the one post was not.

So, my suggestion is this: People should still be allowed to delete their own threads, but it should require confirmation from a moderator, and if said moderator chooses to deny deletion, they can privately tell the topic starter why.

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

01-22-2008 at 04:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
icon Re: Deleting threads (+1)  
Yeah, I remember when we had about a huge thread with the Battle Chess Royale thing in the forum games, then a few months later the initial post was deleted and we lost everything. Was a bit annoying.
01-22-2008 at 04:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
If this were implemented, I would suggest that deletion were only limited when a thread had reached a certain size. Whether it is 5 replies, 10, 25, etc., we need to be able to let people immediately delete topics if they so desire. I know the admins do not want to be called in to delete every single 1-post topic that the author wants deleted.

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-22-2008 at 10:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Oneiromancer wrote:
I know the admins do not want to be called in to delete every single 1-post topic that the author wants deleted.
Lies. All lies.
01-22-2008 at 11:01 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NoahT
Rank Points: 1132
coppro wrote:
Oneiromancer wrote:
I know the admins do not want to be called in to delete every single 1-post topic that the author wants deleted.
Lies. All lies.
I didn't see any cakes in Oneiromancer's post. ;)

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

01-23-2008 at 01:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
How about.

If topic has no reply's, they are free to remove it.

If topic has less than 10 reply's, when someone deletes their hold, it vanishes while the admins get around to approving or denying the deletion.
01-23-2008 at 02:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
Is it just me, or was one of the funniest threads I've seen in a while (burr's forum games one about pokemon) just deleted? Case in point?
01-25-2008 at 12:01 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Damn, I missed what happened to it.

01-25-2008 at 12:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
Not just you. The thing was hilarious. I laughed for literally 5 minutes about the thing. Even cut myself while shaving.

Here's what I remember about it:

burrs: Name the Pokemon! emw.

Maurog: Mudkip?

RoboBob3000?: Mudkips like water.

Malorie: This'll be too easy.

Somebody: Something totally unrelated to Pokemon.

burrs: "It was mew."

RoboBob3000: "This thread now belongs in the hall of fame."

Banjooie: Nothing I can say will improve how this thread already is.

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

01-25-2008 at 01:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
zex20913 wrote:

Here's my best reconstruction. I wonder if anyone guessed after my last post? If you did, step forward and finish the hilarity!

burrs: Name the Pokemon! emw.
Me: mudkip?
Matt: So, I heard you like mudkips? Wait, am I doing this wrong?

Malorie: Isn't this too easy? (some random anime face)

Somebody: Something totally unrelated to Pokemon. (Yeah, I don't remember either)

burrs: "It was mew."

RoboBob3000: "This thread now belongs in the hall of fame."

Banjooie: EDIT: Actually, nothing I can say will improve how this thread already is.

Me again: So, since I guessed the first one,
here are the letters: veeee
what pokemon is it?

01-25-2008 at 01:48 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
I think if I was burrs, I would have deleted it too.
01-25-2008 at 04:09 AM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
My stab at it:

burrs: Unscramble the Pokemon! emw.
BeefRow: mudkip?
Matt: So, I heard you like mudkips? Wait, am I doing this wrong?
Malorie: Isn't this too easy? (some random anime face)
Rabscuttle: Mudkip is vulnerable to water. But not electricity. Allowing me to move directly to Magneton Crescent.
burrs: It was mew.
RoboBob3000: This thread may now be placed in the hall of fame.
Banjooie: EDIT: Actually, nothing I can say will improve how awesome this thread already is.

[Last edited by RoboBob3000 at 01-25-2008 04:37 AM]
01-25-2008 at 04:36 AM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Beef Row wrote:
zex20913 wrote:

Here's my best reconstruction. I wonder if anyone guessed after my last post? If you did, step forward and finish the hilarity!
There were at least two more posts.

Meckmeck GRE guessing some obscure "window pokemon" called "Ve[something]" and that I totally didn't get, and someone else following with "eevee".
01-25-2008 at 05:42 AM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3406
Wow. Rashomon meets Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind meets Portal, all in a single thread. Bravo!

01-25-2008 at 05:55 AM
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1545
Getting back on topic, another forum I use (where I'm a mod) had a series of problems along these lines, and what we ended up with was a time limit -- the Edit button only shows up on posts that are under 15 minutes old. That's long enough to delete double posts etc, but not long enough to be disruptive.

Maybe preventing user deletions of posts after a while (an hour, 12 hours, a day) would do the trick. That leaves open the option of editing out a post's content where necessary, but it's still obvious that there was a post there being responded to.

Edit: Afterthought, that might make it harder to maintain reference threads if someone starts a discussion at the bottom. Maybe only deletion of threads should be limited, rather than deletion of posts.

[Last edited by Tuttle at 01-25-2008 01:58 PM]
01-25-2008 at 01:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
Maybe instead of removing the post entirely, deleting a post could just replace it with the text "Post deleted."

01-25-2008 at 04:00 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1299
icon Re: Deleting threads (+2)  
Maybe instead of removing the thread entirely, deleting the first post could just replace it with the text "Post deleted."

[Last edited by Someone Else at 01-25-2008 04:19 PM]
01-25-2008 at 04:16 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Someone Else wrote:
Maybe instead of removing the thread entirely, deleting the first post could just replace it with the text "Post deleted."
That sounds like the best idea so far.
01-25-2008 at 04:20 PM
coppro
I know that phpBB3 can actually reassign the topic to the next post in line, as if the first post had never existed and the second was the topic starter.

Don't know how well that would work with tForum, though.
01-25-2008 at 11:18 PM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
eytanz wrote:
And maybe someone else (say, Tahnan) responds to you with a thoughtful answer.
Ah, crud, now I feel obligated to say something thoughtful.

The truth is, I've deleted threads I started a few times. I can't recall the exact occasions, but one, I think, was when I started a thread that inadvertantly duplicated another one (bug report, maybe?), making mine just clutter.

So my inclination is to agree that threads should be user-deletable when they have n or fewer replies (where n=5? 2? I'm not sure). But I certainly see Eytanz's point about wanton thread deletion.
02-01-2008 at 08:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Or have a vote. All posts in the thread get PM'd with a "Ok to delete?" with original poster's reason with a yes/no button.

A single "no" vetos the deletion of the thread (though the original post is still deleted). If you don't accept PM's, then tough... :)
02-01-2008 at 04:25 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
Ugh. I still like "Post was deleted" with admins having the power to obliterate, in case there were no replies.

02-01-2008 at 11:15 PM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Syntax wrote:
Or have a vote. All posts in the thread get PM'd with a "Ok to delete?" with original poster's reason with a yes/no button.

A single "no" vetos the deletion of the thread (though the original post is still deleted). If you don't accept PM's, then tough... :)
Um...no.

I like zex's idea, if he means that deleted posts become only visible to admins or moderators who can then decide whether or not to truly delete them. Most of the time we won't even have to worry about it, and if we miss threads that other people wish hadn't been deleted, then someone will let us know.

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
02-02-2008 at 04:28 AM
coppro
I think he means that a deleted post just means that it's replaced with some text like "Original post has been deleted", and the admins can actually perform the complete deletion of a thread.
02-02-2008 at 04:43 AM
Syntax
coppro wrote:
I think he means that a deleted post just means that it's replaced with some text like "Original post has been deleted", and the admins can actually perform the complete deletion of a thread.
Yes, absolutely :)
02-02-2008 at 04:57 AM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Deleting threads
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No