Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : What locations should a map of Dugandy have? (Creative input wanted for the map.)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon What locations should a map of Dugandy have? (+3)  
I'm going to have Brett Boyette work on drawing a map of Dugandy that will be included in the DROD: The City Beneath Deluxe Box. Anyone interested in helping me come up with some locations to be shown on the map? If so, just post your ideas here, but remember, that you're giving them away to be used.

I'll start it off with some obvious ones that are specified by past story:
Castle Dugandy
Smitemaster's Hall
Bombus Gadhan's Home
Beethro Budkin's Home
Vonnifa Budkin's Home
Mobley Inufgot's Home
Roasted Roach Grill
The Great Clockweight
Dugan's Dungeon Builder's Entrance
Smitemasters' Guild Hall

Some other areas and geographic features:
The River Dugan
Throdinger Hill
Low Spaces
Central Dugandy

A fair number of locations should just be invented fresh, without using story content as a basis.

-Erik

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 01-12-2008 01:00 AM]
01-11-2008 at 07:47 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: What locations should a map of Dugandy have? (+2)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
Mobley Inufgot
Fixed. This is, by the by, a spelling correction as well as humor.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 01-11-2008 11:58 PM]
01-11-2008 at 07:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
icon Re: What locations should a map of Dugandy have? (+1)  
Is Clearing School located near enough to Dugandy to be included in this map? If so, I suggest that location.

01-11-2008 at 08:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: What locations should a map of Dugandy have? (0)  
Chaco wrote:
Is Clearing School located near enough to Dugandy to be included in this map? If so, I suggest that location.
Good idea, Chaco.

Keep 'em coming! I'm not going to say which ones will or won't be used. When coming up with ideas for locations, it's best not to spend much time too worrying about whether something is appropriate or not.

-Erik

01-11-2008 at 08:46 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
How much in tune do you want it to be with Dugandy as represented in the game? I mean, if you want them to be consistant to any significant degree that puts all sorts of constraints about what is where (for example, Beethro's house is not in the area of Dugandy visited in the game, nor is Smitemaster hall - they are probably down the road a bit, or maybe on the other side of the castle. And the River Dugan should have a main branch leading down to Blorn and several smaller branches leading to unknown areas).

01-11-2008 at 08:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
eytanz wrote:
How much in tune do you want it to be with Dugandy as represented in the game? I mean, if you want them to be consistant to any significant degree that puts all sorts of constraints about what is where (for example, Beethro's house is not in the area of Dugandy visited in the game, nor is Smitemaster hall - they are probably down the road a bit, or maybe on the other side of the castle. And the River Dugan should have a main branch leading down to Blorn and several smaller branches leading to unknown areas).
To be honest, I don't think we were working very hard to make a long-term representation of where things were relative to each other in the Dugandy level. I think of it as an abstraction of convenience for gameplay, i.e. things that we wanted the player to visit were all very close to the castle.

So I guess the short answer is "not very". But don't worry about the layout--that will get settled in the creation of the map. I'm just looking for names of places that could be in the city.

-Erik

01-11-2008 at 10:33 PM
eytanz
ErikH2000 wrote:
eytanz wrote:
To be honest, I don't think we were working very hard to make a long-term representation of where things were relative to each other in the Dugandy level. I think of it as an abstraction of convenience for gameplay, i.e. things that we wanted the player to visit were all very close to the castle.

In that case, I recommend you sell the map as a seperate product, not include it with the game. Otherwise, it doesn't look like art, it looks like faulty documentation. I know I've been really, really annoyed at the past when I bought games that came with maps that didn't correspond to the game.

01-11-2008 at 10:45 PM
eytanz
And by the way, as someone who spent quite a lot of thought about what goes where in Dugandy, I should point out that while the layout in TCB is rather arbitrary, the selection of what is in what screen is not, but rather was designed to ensure that the plot makes sense...

01-11-2008 at 10:53 PM
ErikH2000
Eytan, I'm sorry if I'm ignorant of pains you took for placement of locations in the Dugandy level. I will try to orient the map such that the layout is roughly equivalent.

-Erik

01-11-2008 at 11:56 PM
eytanz
ErikH2000 wrote:
Eytan, I'm sorry if I'm ignorant of pains you took for placement of locations in the Dugandy level. I will try to orient the map such that the layout is roughly equivalent.

-Erik

Oh, I didn't mean it that way - I'm not concerned about the work I put in, but rather that putting things in places that don't match in game might create problems for the story (for example, if the Smitemaster Hall was close to Bombus's house, why didn't Beethro go there and see if he could recruit allies?)

01-12-2008 at 12:05 AM
Jatopian
FWIW, I think eytanz makes a valid point here. And it should be kept in mind that "abstraction" doesn't quite define as "essentially different from".

01-12-2008 at 12:07 AM
eytanz
To return to the original topic, how about a series of statues somewhere honoring past Dugans? It could be a row of statues, each fatter than the last...

01-12-2008 at 12:16 AM
Chalks
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 267
I'd like to see some docks/shipping lanes and whatnot. I mean, with the release of TCB, we know for a fact that there is water in Beethro's world. :)
01-12-2008 at 12:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Chalks wrote:
I'd like to see some docks/shipping lanes and whatnot. I mean, with the release of TCB, we know for a fact that there is water in Beethro's world. :)

There should probably be some small shipping area on the river Dugan, but Dugandy is on the top of a mountain in the middle of a continent, so don't expect too much in this regard...

That said, you know what would be really cool (in addition, not instead) - a map of Estengard! :)

[Last edited by eytanz at 01-12-2008 12:31 AM]
01-12-2008 at 12:30 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Tell me, would there be much of a civil service within Dugandy? I mean, sure there are the guards taking care of the King, but seeing as he is an incompetent buffoon, I'd imagine that there is some sort of administrator.

01-12-2008 at 01:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
Doesn't Gribbles Prutkin live in Dugandy? If so, his house should be on the map.

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

01-12-2008 at 01:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Ashes of the Roasted Roach Grill :wavecry:

Also, you listed Smitemaster's Hall once and Smitemaster's Guild Hall, and you didn't actually list Clearing School (If it's not attached to the Smitemaster's Hall, which is implied by Smitemastery 101, though I believe that it is off-canon).
01-12-2008 at 02:40 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
A Seedy Side of town. I personally like the idea of a part of town marked as Seedy Side.

Also, the Mathematician's Quarter. This can be for various scientific endeavours, but not particularly grand as there isn't much government spending on science and scientists are pressured to release findings which are consistent with government policy, particularly the nutritionists.

Dugandy has the Eighth's only Healthy Eating Hourglass.

01-12-2008 at 08:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Mattcrampy wrote:
Also, the Mathematician's Quarter. This can be for various scientific endeavours, but not particularly grand as there isn't much government spending on science and scientists are pressured to release findings which are consistent with government policy, particularly the nutritionists.

I don't think that's a good idea. Putting in a place in Dugandy which is dedicated to learning and science makes it more like the empire. And it's already been established that the academic center of Ephelna is in Mellenfral, far away from Dugandy. Adding this will make enrichen Dugandy at the price of making the whole world more homogenous and less interesting.

01-12-2008 at 09:21 AM
aztcg7
Rank Points: 104
The architect/Empire entrance as per TCB plot.

01-12-2008 at 09:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
aztcg7 wrote:
The architect/Empire entrance as per TCB plot.

Which one? The one Beethro comes up in (which is already mentioned on the list?) Or the one he goes back does in (which is down the river and not in Dugandy itself?)

01-12-2008 at 09:41 AM
aztcg7
Rank Points: 104
Drat. I was thinking the Lavatory, which is in another kingdom. My mistake.

01-12-2008 at 09:48 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
eytanz wrote:

I don't think that's a good idea. Putting in a place in Dugandy which is dedicated to learning and science makes it more like the empire. And it's already been established that the academic center of Ephelna is in Mellenfral, far away from Dugandy. Adding this will make enrichen Dugandy at the price of making the whole world more homogenous and less interesting.

I was aware of Mellenfral, and meant to mention how the two relate (the Mathematician's Quarter being basically a handful of buildings with little in the way of scientific output), but I kind of got carried away with my elaborate fat joke.

Still, I think there's room in the world for a dinky lab-type place, and it does give Mobley a plausible origin. (He'd be the type of guy they'd love over in Mellenfral, but maybe not so much in a place where they don't have the money for people to pursue their obsessions to the detriment of profitability or hygiene.)

But really, I just like the name. I'm not attached to the idea so much, especially if there's a way to make a pun on 'quarter' some other way. Sportsman's Quarter, perhaps? It could be orange.

01-12-2008 at 09:52 AM
eytanz
Mattcrampy wrote:
eytanz wrote:

Still, I think there's room in the world for a dinky lab-type place, and it does give Mobley a plausible origin. (He'd be the type of guy they'd love over in Mellenfral, but maybe not so much in a place where they don't have the money for people to pursue their obsessions to the detriment of profitability or hygiene.)

Well, Mobley's an architect, isn't he? And Dugandy seems to have the regional quarter of the DAA.

Which reminds me - there should probably be a regional branch of the DAA.

But really, I just like the name. I'm not attached to the idea so much, especially if there's a way to make a pun on 'quarter' some other way. Sportsman's Quarter, perhaps? It could be orange.

Yeah, I like the name too, I just don't think it fits. Maybe a Cook's Quarters? I could picture Dugan (and his ancestors) bringing in famous cooks from around the world until there's a small part of town dedicated to them. They probably all work for the king and his royals, so Beethro had the right idea by opening a grill that caters to the masses.

01-12-2008 at 10:31 AM
Timo006
Rank Points: 518
the alternate entrance to King Dugan's Dungeon, the one Beethro and Halph go through at the beginning of JtRH. (I always wondered what it's location is)

01-12-2008 at 06:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
It's deep underground, on level 10 of King Dugan's dungeon. I don't think it would be on the map unless they're mapping underground things.

01-12-2008 at 06:38 PM
Timo006
Rank Points: 518
Sorry for the misunderstanding, I actually ment where it is on the surface, not the underground part.

01-12-2008 at 06:42 PM
eytanz
Timo006 wrote:
Sorry for the misunderstanding, I actually ment where it is on the surface, not the underground part.

I think that's pretty far from Dugandy, actually - if you look at the pictures from the AE/KDD 2.0 ending, you can see that the entrance is a ways down the mountain, while Dugandy is at the top.

01-14-2008 at 06:43 PM
eb0ny
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 484
Any chances of Bad Evil Restaurant being included? I know this sounds crazy, but I figured adding story to the... errr... dungeon, that it was built specifically for the purpose of showing the architects, how dungeons should NOT be designed. A museum kind of thing.

Hmmm... this gave me an idea for a hold.

01-14-2008 at 07:18 PM
Remlin
Rank Points: 181
Halph's school
Super Eighth Motel
Butterfly conservatory
Blacksmith
Apothecary
Nuclear power planet
01-14-2008 at 09:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : What locations should a map of Dugandy have? (Creative input wanted for the map.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com