Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : An idea for a hold... (aka: Attention LarryMurk)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Snacko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 448
IP: Logged
icon An idea for a hold... (0)  
Larry, you are by far my favorite level designer, perhaps even more than Erik himself and I'd like to start a "Best of LarryMurk" series. If you like the idea send me a PM, my idea is that we'll have a vote for people's favorite rooms out of your holds and I'll compile them. The only real problem here is Master Locks where I'd need express permission from both you and Erik to use rooms from. So, again, if you like this idea feel free to send me a PM.

[Last edited by Snacko at 09-22-2007 12:16 AM]
09-22-2007 at 12:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1302
icon Re: An idea for a hold... (0)  
This wouldn't go too well with the highscores...
09-22-2007 at 12:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Snacko
How so?

09-22-2007 at 12:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
icon Re: An idea for a hold... (+1)  
Snacko, while this sounds like a neat idea, I think you should put it on hold for now. You've got highscores uploaded for only 12 of Larry's rooms, 7 of which are Entrance rooms. For now, I challenge you to complete one of Larry's holds, and truly experience his mastery at room design. I know that is quite a challenge - but go ahead... I'll be rooting for you :)
09-22-2007 at 12:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
NiroZ wrote: This wouldn't go too well with the highscores...
It could be an architecture-only hold, or an unscorable one or something. But yeah, needless duplicate scores are a bad idea. No-one wants to solve the same rooms again and again in different holds just to get a higher total score.

But I can't help thinking that an even better solution would be to just play through all of Larry's holds to see all rooms in their proper context. No unnecessary work, better difficulty/theme distribution, etc.

Messing with Smitemaster's Selections is an even greater 'no' if you ask me, by the way... And is there some particular reason for you not mentioning Perfection? It falls under the exact same restrictions.
09-22-2007 at 12:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Snacko
icon Re: An idea for a hold... (-1)  
Read it again, I won't be picking it up alone. I will collaborate with Murk as well as hold a poll to see what rooms people want in it.

09-22-2007 at 12:57 AM
Snacko
Exactly what reason would anyone had for modding that down?

09-22-2007 at 01:23 AM
Monkey
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 190
I'm gonna say debt.

[Last edited by Monkey at 09-22-2007 01:39 AM]
09-22-2007 at 01:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Snacko, if you want my advice, play through the large majority of Larrymurks rooms, pick out the best of Larrymurks rooms according to your tastes and others, then make a writeup of it and submit it to the community website.

If you want to see all the holds that Larrymurk has created, try here.
09-22-2007 at 01:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Snacko wrote:
Exactly what reason would anyone had for modding that down?
Because the modpoint system is used to signify bad posts more than it is to lower your ego count.
09-22-2007 at 01:49 AM
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
NiroZ wrote:
If you want to see all the holds that Larrymurk has created, try here.
Or, all 17 on one page here.

09-22-2007 at 02:24 AM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
NiroZ wrote:
This wouldn't go too well with the highscores...
Snacko wrote:
How so?
Because the Hold Administrators are very unlikely to allow a hold to be released that has the exact same rooms as other holds already available. Compilation holds released a long time ago won't be removed, but new compilations of rooms that already have high scores likely won't make it. Compilations of Architecture-only holds, or a bunch of people collaborating on a hold, are of course just fine.

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-22-2007 at 03:14 AM
The spitemaster
Rank Points: 354
Contest holds sometimes get in too as a contemplation.

I wish that man would stay away
09-22-2007 at 06:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
The spitemaster wrote:
Contest holds sometimes get in too as a contemplation.

Right. The thing all these items have in common is that the rooms released in compilation holds do not exist in any other officially-released hold, so there's no high score duplication.

A hold which contains a room that is a duplicate or near-duplicate of another room in another hold may be OK, depending on the situation. A hold which consists of nothing but exact copies of rooms that are already released will not be permitted.

Josh

09-22-2007 at 02:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Snacko
What about the Tacker "DVD Cut". All but three of the reasons are exactly the same as those in the original trilogy.

09-22-2007 at 10:08 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Snacko wrote:
What about the Tacker "DVD Cut". All but three of the reasons are exactly the same as those in the original trilogy.
The Hold Admin FAQ
It looks like there are some holds there that would be bad by your rules. Why?

Time for a brief history lesson! The Holds board was created in 2003. In the beginning, it was just a place to put finished holds, but there were no real rules about it.

April 2005 marked the first big change, as Caravelnet was born, and rules started being more important. But people were too eager to get their work out there to read the instructions carefully, and a bunch of unsolvable holds ended up on the Holds board, as well as duplicated holds and other issues. Fixing the problems turned into a major hassle for everyone, and quite a few people started getting annoyed.

That was why, in 2006, the hold admin process came into play, with its mission to prevent problems rather than solve them retroactively. Since then, all the unsolvable holds have been fixed, but as of the time this is being written, the other "bad" holds were allowed to remain, for various reasons. This may change in the future, but what's important to understand is that just because we cannot fix all the mistakes of the past, doesn't mean we'll allow people to repeat them.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 09-22-2007 10:13 PM : fixed quote tag]
09-22-2007 at 10:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
Some kind of greatest hits compilation (not neccessarily solely Larrymurk's rooms alone, although he obviously would feature. We could do a poll for the top x number) would be a nice idea, maybe with architects' commentaries. But yes, reduplication would not be accepted on the hold's board.

09-22-2007 at 11:13 PM
Snacko
Maybe we could add arranged "Director's Cut" editions of the rooms (and a GH hold sounds like a great idea), would that get accepted?

09-23-2007 at 12:42 AM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Why don't you make it first, and then ask people, or read the rest of this thread?

(I know what I would vote for, but it's always interesting to watch people wasting time.)

09-23-2007 at 12:49 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : An idea for a hold... (aka: Attention LarryMurk)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com