Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Department of Grand Constructions Debates (Ask Questions!)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
jbluestein
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1670
IP: Logged
icon Re: Department of Grand Constructions Debates (0)  
Tim wrote:
I still have some questions left:

For all of you:

* How much time in a month do you think you will need to spend on this job?

* How much of Erik's time do you think will be saved because of your actions?

I don't anticipate it taking too much time, but I'll adjust accordingly. Erik's estimate was four hours a month, so I'll stick with that for now.

I'm not sure how much my efforts will directly affect Erik's time. I view this position as organizing and helping provide things that Erik doesn't currently have time to do, so I can't say that I think much of his time will be saved at all. But who knows?

Specific Questions to Candidates:
* Josh: Do you think you will have time left doing HA work? It seems like some conflicts here as well.

I'm not sure I'd call it a conflict. I might have a little less time, but I put a fairly large amount of time into hold testing right now, so even if I'm putting in less time I would still be working on it. I don't see a conflict of interest here, since the Director position doesn't have any oversight over HAs (it also doesn't have any real authority -- it's just an organizational position).

Josh

08-23-2007 at 02:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Department of Grand Constructions Debates (+1)  
A few comments on the subject of "saving Eik's time"...

I spend very, very little time working on encouraging creative efforts. Maybe an hour or two each month. It makes me sad because in early days, I used to talk a lot with different contributors. But back then I didn't have to get paperwork to publishers, manage contractors, or write design documents. If I was still spending the same amount of community time as I did when I started, Caravel wouldn't be able to grow as it is doing now. So it's a tradeoff problem.

This new department shouldn't be viewed as just an inbox where I dump my overload. There's a lot more than just doing work here. You guys need to talk to each other and keep up a sense of comradery and figure out how to have fun as you go. If you aren't having fun, you can pass the mantle on to somebody else whenever you feel like. Or maybe fix the situation so it can be fun. I don't want to see anybody trudging along out of some dreary sense of duty.

-Erik

08-24-2007 at 05:56 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Who is Eik? :smile
08-24-2007 at 05:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5058
icon Re: Department of Grand Constructions Debates (+2)  
I like Eik!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
08-24-2007 at 07:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
Oooo! He's revealing his true identity! Like Spiderman! ... or something.

08-24-2007 at 07:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
Punks.

-Erik

08-24-2007 at 11:29 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
schep
Rank Points: 865
Do you (the candidate) have any ideas or plans for promoting grand constructions other than holds and the community website, or for addressing any such efforts that come to your attention later?

08-24-2007 at 11:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
schep asked:
Do you (the candidate) have any ideas or plans for promoting grand constructions other than holds and the community website, or for addressing any such efforts that come to your attention later?

There are a lot of ways to define what a "grand construction" might be, but I, Chaco, will define it as "a work that has been published, used, evaluated, and/or cited by the public". This not only encompasses holds and the community website, but it also allows articles, songs, pictures, games, and anything else that you would publish on this forum.

Sure, I have a lot of plans for promoting the creation of Grand Constructions. Promoting Grand Constructions is important - some people may be ready to construct something, but they may not be quite sure what to create. Although such resources as Calamarain's idea generator exist, I think a Constructive Thought or Constructive Idea published on a daily basis could go a long way: an example of a thought being "Builders normally have very boring jobs, but one day a Builder gets lost and surfaces aboveground". I could either do this myself or create a position to do this job if there is interest in it.

I'll also address any Grand Constructions that come to my attention. If an effort to build a Grand Construction is faltering, and one of the members asks me, the Director, for help, I'll direct some people over who I think can further along the effort. If people ask for a Finder or for a Consistency Authenticator, I can send people in those positions to help. If the situation merits it, I might even pitch in and use some of my own personal time to help.

I will be a Director first and foremost, but I can also be a Citizen and offer my abilities. The Department of Grand Constructions will have all the resources necessary to help people with their work, and I think helping people is what the Bureaucracy should be about.

08-27-2007 at 06:18 PM
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
I have a question for the canditates:

What extra positions do you plan to have in the Department of Grand Constructions? As in, jobs that have not been previously defined by Erik.

08-30-2007 at 05:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Kwakstur wrote:
I have a question for the canditates:

What extra positions do you plan to have in the Department of Grand Constructions? As in, jobs that have not been previously defined by Erik.

At the moment, none. Once I've had time to see how the operation of the position goes, I'll be in a better position to think about additional roles. As ever, I'd take suggestions from forum members.

There's a fine (not-so-fine?) line between organization aiding progress and impeding progress. I wouldn't want to indiscriminately add roles for fear of getting bogged down.

Josh

08-30-2007 at 11:48 AM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Department of Grand Constructions Debates (Ask Questions!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com