Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Magic Show 2 (You perform in a new magic show.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

9.1/10 (21 votes)
σ 1.19
Author Name:LarryMurk
Submitted By:larrymurk
Hold Name:Magic Show 2
Theme:You perform in a new magic show.
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:8
Number of Rooms:52
Number of Monsters:821
Version:DROD: The City Beneath (3.0)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:0 (+0 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Magic Show 2.hold (20.6 KB)
Downloaded 1849 times.
License: Other
icon Magic Show 2  
Yes, the Magic Show is back in town. This time the magician has a whole new bag of tricks. What are you waiting for? The fans are awaiting your performance. Grab your wand, err... sword, and get going!!

Thanks to testers-
Doom
jbluestein
Stephen4Louise
07-18-2007 at 08:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 392
icon Re: Magic Show 2 (0)  
Ohmygod Ohmygod Ohmygod! A Magic Show sequel! I have got to try this one!

07-18-2007 at 11:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
goldenferret
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 57
Incredibly difficult... but I wouldn't expect anything less from a larrymurk hold. ;)

07-18-2007 at 02:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1670
icon Re: Magic Show 2 (+1)  
Another excellent hold by Larry. Nowhere near as difficult as the first Magic Show, the hold itself is firmly in the middle, difficulty-wise. Quality is high throughout.

Which is not to say that there aren't some extremely difficult rooms in there.

Overall, I give the hold a 9 for fun, and 7 brains of difficulty.

Josh

07-18-2007 at 04:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
Awww shucks... Larry made a TCB hold and I can only play it in 6 days' time :weep .
07-18-2007 at 09:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Remlin
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 181
Not done yet, but wow, what a great hold. I've skipped some of the more recent holds, but of the 3.0 holds I've played this is the really the only one that's shown me puzzles that wouldn't have been possible in 2.0. Excellent use of the new elements.

I sort of miss your usual format of breaking levels up by difficulty instead of theme. My brain needs a warmup before I can do your harder rooms. Whereas here, sometimes the layout actually worked to make me do the harder rooms first. Secret Path 1N1W for example was much harder than the other rooms on the level, but from the position of the level entrance it's probably the first room you'll try.
07-30-2007 at 07:05 AM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
Glad you're having fun Remlin.

As for room order, I just put them in randomly so no order of difficulty was intended.

And as for Secret Paths:1N1W, I originally made this room with a lot of extra moves intentionally because rooms don't have to be hard to be fun, right? Then a certain tester whose name I won't mention suggested I might make the room a lot tighter, so... Hey, what can I say? Blame it on Doom (oops, I wasn't going to say that). Oh, come on, you know this room is more fun now don't you?!?!?!
07-30-2007 at 11:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
larrymurk wrote:
And as for Secret Paths:1N1W, I originally made this room with a lot of extra moves intentionally because rooms don't have to be hard to be fun, right? Then a certain tester whose name I won't mention suggested I might make the room a lot tighter, so... Hey, what can I say? Blame it on Doom (oops, I wasn't going to say that). Oh, come on, you know this room is more fun now don't you?!?!?!
Hey, it was entirely up to you to decide if/how much you wanted to alter the timer :lol

But.. yeah, there was a lot of slack in the first version. Like nearly twenty moves using the optimal route, iirc. Pen and paper (even if on computer screen) worked pretty well, by the way.
07-31-2007 at 12:00 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
I disagree - I think Secret Path 1N1W is much easier than 1S, because it's "oh, yeah, make the path as long as you can" and it just took a few tries to figure out how to get in and out properly.

I had a bit of fun figuring out how to make the path one square longer at the end too :)

I'm still trying to figure out 1S though - arguably the fact that the paths need to sync at the pressure plates should narrow it down, but it's not helping. I'll figure it out eventually though. But I think 1S is a harder room because it's certainly not as easy for me to figure out exactly what I need to do.

[Last edited by Chaco at 07-31-2007 12:05 AM]
07-31-2007 at 12:04 AM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
I think there's a lot to be said for this layout; sure, "getting harder" is sometimes nice, but I rather enjoyed being able to bounce from room to room, level to level. I'd be mildly interested to know what order I solved the rooms in; I suspect I solved at least one on each level before I finished any level entirely.
07-31-2007 at 04:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Chaco wrote:
I'm still trying to figure out 1S though - arguably the fact that the paths need to sync at the pressure plates should narrow it down, but it's not helping. I'll figure it out eventually though. But I think 1S is a harder room because it's certainly not as easy for me to figure out exactly what I need to do.
Click here to view the secret text

07-31-2007 at 08:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
hikagi
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 29
Wow, this was a really fun hold! I wasn't able to beat the first one, even in the editor mode, but this one kept my attention until each level slowly reached completion. I especially liked how the little things played a big part in some solutions. Overall, as with most of your other rooms, I love how most of the rooms seem impossible at first, but simple determination proves otherwise, as is the 'Magic' theme.

One thing that would have been nice to add is if once the rooms were complete, the intro scrolls changed from speculatory comments to those of amazement. I'm pretty sure its possible as Beethro was able to sign in to that scroll in that secret room in TCB...

Other than that, nice job! The grand illusion in this edition definately made me feel like more of a magician than the previous installment. :thumbsup

[Last edited by hikagi at 08-05-2007 02:44 AM]
08-05-2007 at 02:42 AM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Not finished, but explored.

This hold gets a 10 from me, no doubt about it. Brilliant.
08-06-2007 at 04:30 AM
porcorosso
Rank Points: 37
I have not finished this hold (yet) 3 rooms to go, but I must join the others to express my gratitude and awe for yet another magic show, which is no less fun than the first, just as excellent and maybe a bit less challenging, but thats because we all get better at performing magic over time ....
By the way about 1N1W , I actually think that the tighter the better, and indeed for me it was not as hard as some of the other rooms that required some H&S help. In my second or third try I managed it only one move short, but when I found the better strategy I was 'dissapointed' to see that I had 3 extra moves to beat the timer... :w00t

[Last edited by porcorosso at 08-13-2007 01:22 PM]
08-13-2007 at 01:19 PM
talund
Rank Points: 95
Addictive, diabolical and thought provoking. Found myself over thinking some of the easier rooms simply because this is a larrymurk hold. Very enjoyable and, as always, I look forward to being challenged by yet another larrymurk hold.
08-13-2007 at 06:31 PM
Giant-Nator22
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 2
Gosh, I feel like some sort of really weak person for saying this but

THIS IS REALLY HARD!

It seems as if all the levels are nearly impossible. So I spent most of my time scouting around and checking rooms.

09-11-2007 at 02:29 AM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
8 1/2 brains should be an indication that it's a hard hold. The fact the architect is larrymurk, even more so :)
09-11-2007 at 02:31 AM
Neathro
Rank Points: 41
I ACTUALLY BEAT A ROOM! :w00t :lol :thumbsup
Edit after calm down:
Infinite enemies, the one with the crumbly walls.

[Last edited by Neathro at 09-14-2007 09:19 PM]
09-14-2007 at 09:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Magic Show 2 (You perform in a new magic show.) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com