Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Explosion beginning on force arrow
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
schep
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 865
IP: Logged
icon Explosion beginning on force arrow (+1)  
In 3.0, you can put a bomb on top of a force arrow. But it explodes in all directions, ignoring the arrow. Likewise, if a fegundo is on an arrow when it explodes, all eight surrounding squares are burned. (This is independent of the bug about fegundos exploding next to a monster on force arrow, since the arrow may be perpendicular to the direction of travel and obstacle.)

Since force arrows do affect explosions, and prevent opposing creature motion both into and out of their squares, I'd expect these explosions to occur in five of the eight directions. This would also match up well with the recent change to briar / force arrow interaction.
05-06-2007 at 07:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5064
icon Re: Explosion beginning on force arrow (0)  
schep wrote:
In 3.0, you can put a bomb on top of a force arrow. But it explodes in all directions, ignoring the arrow. Likewise, if a fegundo is on an arrow when it explodes, all eight surrounding squares are burned. (This is independent of the bug about fegundos exploding next to a monster on force arrow, since the arrow may be perpendicular to the direction of travel and obstacle.)

Since force arrows do affect explosions, and prevent opposing creature motion both into and out of their squares, I'd expect these explosions to occur in five of the eight directions. This would also match up well with the recent change to briar / force arrow interaction.
Isn't it also this way for bombs in 2.0? If not, it should be fixed. But if it is, we'd have to perform a thorough check of published holds for gotchas before changing this.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
05-06-2007 at 08:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
icon Re: Explosion beginning on force arrow (+1)  
mrimer wrote:
Isn't it also this way for bombs in 2.0? If not, it should be fixed. But if it is, we'd have to perform a thorough check of published holds for gotchas before changing this.

In 2.0 bombs and force arrows are on the same layer, and you CANNOT have a bomb on top of a force arrow. But you knew this, right? ;-)

05-06-2007 at 09:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
schep
Rank Points: 865
Even so, somebody ought to do a thorough check of published 3.0 holds to see whether any of them put a bomb on top of a force arrow, before we discuss this more. At this point it's probably even still feasible to manually also inspect all rooms containing both a fegundo and a force arrow. I might write something to check for these later this week, considering I wouldn't have to download a whole lot. Or maybe somebody already set up better for this sort of task will beat me to it (hint hint).
05-06-2007 at 09:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
mrimer wrote:
I already asked about this, and I was told it was intended behavior.
05-06-2007 at 10:27 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
coppro wrote:
I already asked about this, and I was told it was intended behavior.
But it's wrong! It's completely unintuitive! And it's still fixable!

05-07-2007 at 03:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
Why fix it? This /enables/ puzzle potential by having another way for explosions to go where Beethro cannot.

You still have to worry about the fuse burning against the arrow, but that's a minor problem.

Okay, I might be a bit biased because I already made a puzzle room with this behavior in it, but still.

05-07-2007 at 11:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
icon Re: Explosion beginning on force arrow (+1)  
Chaco wrote:
Why fix it? This /enables/ puzzle potential by having another way for explosions to go where Beethro cannot.

You still have to worry about the fuse burning against the arrow, but that's a minor problem.

Okay, I might be a bit biased because I already made a puzzle room with this behavior in it, but still.
So what if roaches could move against force arrows only on turns that were multiples of 17. There's puzzle potential there too! But is it a good idea to leave this behaviour and design puzzles around it? Probably not.

05-07-2007 at 06:09 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5064
Sorry about the bomb-arrow confusion. I forgot about them being on the same layer in 2.0. Okay...I say we change this in 3.0.2 so explosions won't go against an arrow on the originating tile. But only if this doesn't break any rooms in the TCB hold, and nothing that can't be fixed in published 3.0 holds.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
05-10-2007 at 08:02 AM
trick
Rank Points: 2580
icon Re: Explosion beginning on force arrow (+2)  
This is now fixed (as discussed here)!

07-15-2007 at 02:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Explosion beginning on force arrow
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com