Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : The Hunt (Slayer manipulation hold)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Mazer
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 162
IP: Logged

File: The Hunt.hold (8.6 KB)
Downloaded 85 times.
License: Public Domain
icon The Hunt (0)  
Here's a hold based on slayer manipulation. It currently has 2 complete levels and one incomplete. Probably I'll add or change something. Comments accepted.
04-09-2007 at 04:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bodkin
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 26
icon Re: The Hunt (0)  
Just to say I've played the first level and some of the second but I'm not ready to give a full opinion. I'm bogged down with water and platforms. (Also, I can't help with hold design like everyone here. I can give you playing opinion but I'm not an expert – TCB etc. but not Beethro's Teacher.)

But I'd say your hold definitely deserves attention. I'm very impressed by your use of slayer moves, especially using the pushing one to break up lines of monsters.

S
/ x
x /
B going west

And some of your combinations, like slayers and swordless Beethro are very imaginative. Also, moving the slayer when you are only two squares away. That's clever.

I've just posted a hold, also on moving slayers! Sorry, but I didn't know about yours until just now. Mine is as easy as can be, a beginner's guide, mostly 4x4 squares. Yours, on the other hand, needs thought.

Can I ask you a stupid, beginner question? Where in the editor is the token that takes away the sword? I can't find it. I'm using oremite instead (not in the version that's up, but in a 0.2).

I do think you should have save points, unless you against them on principle. Especially when there are two themes to a room.

[Last edited by bodkin at 05-08-2007 10:51 PM]
05-08-2007 at 10:50 PM
Sillyman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
The tokens are all in one stack. Press q and w to change which token you use.

05-09-2007 at 03:53 AM
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3631
Alternatively, double-click the item in the menu bar to bring up a small "drawer" with all the tokens in them, from which you can click the one you want.

05-09-2007 at 11:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1645
Alteralternatively, use the mousewheel while the pointer is over the token.
05-10-2007 at 10:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bodkin
Thank you for this.

Have you played The Hunt? I'm not qualified to give in depth help.
05-10-2007 at 10:12 PM
bodkin
I've finished the hold as it stands. I did wait to see if anyone else would write but they haven't. I hope these comments are useful. Mostly they are about room order and the level of difficulty, and who the game is aimed at.

First I want to say how many good things there are in it. It's obviously for people who want to understand and practice slayer moves, which means that it can (and should) be more repetitive than a game hold and take time to expand on themes. I think it does this with some really clever applications. You get to learn a lot which makes it satisfying – even when it's frustrating you. And you get a lot better because of it.

For example, it was new for me that you can get by slayers even when you are only two squares away, if the hook and sword are pointed in the right direction. I have done it before, but as a lucky escape rather than a planned solution. And then to find that you can push the slayer from two squares away, by being backwards to it, and even change its direction, that's fantastic. (It reminds me of all the problems I had with goblins, how difficult it was having to take them round mazes, even to get them into a snake box. Now, for the most part, that feels easy. This hold goes a long way to doing the same thing for slayers.)

I would like to have had more easy rooms at the beginning, lots of them, with the techniques flagged up more. Unless you are aiming at more advanced players who want to tighten up one aspect of the game? (Except that you say "Well done" for finding a secret room, so presumably this is for beginners. Unless that was irony.) If you don't have beginner rooms then I think (several) title demos would be useful – with a scroll to tell people where they are. But I hope you go with the easy beginner rooms – I'd like to see what you do with absolute simplicity. Using each of the basic moves in turn? Like you do in the second level 1S and 5S.

Often a more difficult room is followed by easier rooms using the same techniques. Is this intentional? For instance, IMO, first level 2S1E is more complicated than the rooms that follow it. (I don't think it was me getting better at it.) Here you need to use the wisp and hold the slayer back to be able to complete it. But holding the slayer back is the same technique as moving the slayer about, and that hasn't been used yet. It seems to me that the hold assumes that people already know how to move a slayer around, but do they?

Save points. Are you going to add them later? I had to edit some in myself or give up in frustration.

-----------

Under Pressure: (only secret to save space)

Click here to view the secret text

No name yet:

3: Another unnamed:

[Last edited by bodkin at 05-13-2007 03:30 PM]
05-13-2007 at 03:29 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : The Hunt (Slayer manipulation hold)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com