Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Bluff Me submission thread (Entries and discussion of those entries for the April Competition go here)
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
RoboBob3000
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1978
IP: Logged
icon Re: Bluff Me submission thread (0)  
Wild and Crazy Kids

When I was about 9 or 10 years old, I was a contestant on the old Nickelodeon show Wild and Crazy Kids.

The game I got to play had me throwing melons at a target from high above it. Best splatter won. I'm happy to say that I won that round for the red team. I still have my shirt. :)

J/K.

[Last edited by RoboBob3000 at 04-08-2007 06:25 AM]
04-08-2007 at 06:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129
Thinnest Material Ever

A one-atom thick carbon sheet was developed by scientists.

A zero-atom thick material is abundant in space, however.

True. It's called graphene.

[Last edited by Pinnacle at 04-10-2007 08:55 PM]
04-09-2007 at 07:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
Oremites Discovered to be Fake

If Beethro actually unsheathed his sword while on oremites, nothing would happen.

The Empire's most persuasive guard is posted at the Gate of Sheathing in order to persuade anybody entering that the oremites will actually eat their swords. Much cheaper and faster than actually creating metal-eating bugs.

[COLOR=green]True![/COLOR]

Observe this by placing an orb on a patch of oremites. The orb (intact or cracked) makes a delightful metallic sound whenever struck, and it produces electricity - two qualities only a device made out of metal could have. And yet the oremites do not eat the orb.

Further confirmation can be seen by placing rocks and housing upon oremite surfaces.

[Last edited by Chaco at 04-10-2007 09:08 PM]
04-09-2007 at 08:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Speed Freak

My youngest son was born in the front seat of my car on the way to the hospital.

45 minutes of labor, 30 of those spent driving. When it became clear that we weren't going to make it to the hospital, we tried calling 911, but by the time they had dispatched an ambulance it was all but done.

100% true. Don't try this at home, and if you do, leather seats are a plus.

04-09-2007 at 09:14 PM
techant
Rank Points: 854
Gold is just bug poo!

In the deepest gold mines of South Africa the mightiest microbes have been found not just surviving but thriving. They seem to consume some elements and as a waste product leave behind gold. Now they have also been found in Australia. While some see this as a boom others predict that in the not to distant future gold will be so easy to grow as a waste product that it will lose most of its value.

How funny that one of the elements so valued by us is really just the biological waste of another.

While it is true bacteria has been discovered that has solid gold as a by product it takes such a large amount of bacteria and such a long time that, no one is yet worried that gold will go out of fashion as one of the worlds most valuable commodities. So this one is false.

[Last edited by techant at 04-10-2007 06:06 AM]
04-10-2007 at 06:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Soon everyone might have their own cloak of invisibility.

Scientists have discovered a way to construct a material which becomes totally invisible (or at least very nearly so) to a certain spectrum of wavelengths (like e.g. the visible light). The technology is but a few years (or decades) away, and will most likely result in cloaks in function resembling that of Harry Potter seeing the light of day.

The technology is based on nanometer sized c-shaped metallic rings where each ring has a custom made index of refraction. This will result in light flowing around the exterior of the cloak, since it will bend from tiny cell to tiny cell. It will finally continue on the other side, as if nothing had been in it’s way.

This is a lie. Invisibility is theoretiaclly possible the way it is described above, so that much is true. The problem is that an invisibility cloak is impossible, since no visible light from the outside reaches you when you are inside of your cloak. If you could see the world the world could see you as well.

The invisibility materials which is curantly beeing developed is called metamaterials.

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 04-10-2007 10:13 AM]
04-10-2007 at 10:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
The unique way my body functions.

Most people find it relatively hard to do pull ups (hanging from a bar, and dragging yourself up so that your chin clears the bar, then lowering yourself and repeating it). Most people also find sit ups relatively easy. For me it’s the reverse. I can do more pull ups in a row (around fifteen) than sit ups (around ten).I am completely untrained, and can’t see any reason to why it is like this. It just is.

This entry seems silly and childish, but I'll post it nevertheless. I've never met anyone else who works like this

This is true.,

04-10-2007 at 10:31 AM
jamesdenem
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 203
Race to the Finish

When I was young, about 9 or 10, I had gotten home with my sister, and challenged her to a race to the front door. We raced and I was ahead, so i reached out my left hand to touch our glass door. The next thing I know, my hand broke through the glass, and my wrist was bleeding. My thumb was cut as well, and I had to remove a piece of glass from the cut on my wrist. My family went to the hospital, where I got stitches.

I also lost a part of my thumb as a result of having it cut, and I still have the scars today.

Believe it or not, this is a true story. Those who don't believe me, I can take a picture of my hand and post it to prove it.

This signature intenionally left blank. Disregard any text you may find here, because it is probably just your imagination, and not a signature in any way. We mean it, don't believe that there is text here.
04-10-2007 at 05:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Bombadil
Rank Points: 509

So if we know if one's a bluff or not we just say it?
04-10-2007 at 10:43 PM
Sillyman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
No. However, if you're not sure, but you have a convincing argument, feel free to argue.

04-10-2007 at 11:37 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
I can confirm about 3 or 4 of these. Should I do so.
04-10-2007 at 11:39 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Go right ahead. After all, the entrants are supposed to be able to defend their submission.

Also, seeing as there is about 3 days to go, I'd encourage all entrants to check if their entry is listed in the first post. If it isn't, it has failed one of the requirements. See my example submission or the annoucment topic for what you might have done wrong.
04-11-2007 at 04:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Blondbeard wrote:

Scientists have discovered a way to construct a material which becomes totally invisible (or at least very nearly so) to a certain spectrum of wavelengths (like e.g. the visible light). The technology is but a few years (or decades) away, and will most likely result in cloaks in function resembling that of Harry Potter seeing the light of day.

The technology is based on nanometer sized c-shaped metallic rings where each ring has a custom made index of refraction. This will result in light flowing around the exterior of the cloak, since it will bend from tiny cell to tiny cell. It will finally continue on the other side, as if nothing had been in it’s way.

This message will be revealed in negative 887 weeks, 4 days.
I can confirm this one
04-11-2007 at 04:44 AM
coppro
Someone Else wrote:
Tarluke Mudwrits

Tarluke Mudwrits are the group of people in the eighth who are like tree huggers on earth.

Meaning, they protect the Living Tar and the Awakened Mud. They have opposed Black Doors (meaning that tar is contained and/or completely smited), built the Black Sister Gates, and many have become honorary Tar Technicians and Mud Coordinators. Many people have ignored their claims that Tar and Mud are helping to defend against Briar, probably because it is just about as plausible as 'Global Warming'.

This is in the TCB demo - the Tarluke Mudwrit is a joke.
04-11-2007 at 04:45 AM
coppro
halyavin wrote:
Danforth Strout message.
If you finish TCB hold you can get this message:
"I see you finished The City Beneath and became an addictive DRODer. So I suggest you 2 pills: blue one returns you to the real world, red one binds you to the game forever. Which pill you choose?"
Blue pill variant: "Ok. But don't forget to run DROD later!"
Red pill variant: "You can add new levels to The City Beneath. Just change one bit somewhere in the beginning of the drod3_0.dat file to enable secret account of The Caravel Team. Then choose it at login screen and press "Build Levels". Hundrens of DRODers already diging out new dungeons here. Let us make The City Beneath hold infinite!"

Fortunately, you can't post changed hold due to copyright. I am afraid to see the 100Mb hold created by all architects in this forum.
This can't be true, I've already completed it and got no such message - what's more, this would never happen as it just takes one idiot with a BitTorrent client...
04-11-2007 at 04:46 AM
coppro
MeckMeck GRE wrote:
I was the first non-official to download Drod:TCB

I downloaded TCB (Windows,Demo) a few hours before the Illumination appeared

It was a rainy evening in germany when a mad guy with a old bicylce came to our house. He said he was from Delver's witnesses, a kind of special church. He gave me a magazine of them called "Watchtower is spreading TCB demos". Inside there was a very long secret download URL. He proudly uttered "Download and play it and you will be a new blessed person" and left. And so I got TCB-Demo hours earlier than everyone else.

I can confirm this.
04-11-2007 at 04:47 AM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
coppro wrote:
MeckMeck GRE wrote:
I was the first non-official to download Drod:TCB

I downloaded TCB (Windows,Demo) a few hours before the Illumination appeared

It was a rainy evening in germany when a mad guy with a old bicylce came to our house. He said he was from Delver's witnesses, a kind of special church. He gave me a magazine of them called "Watchtower is spreading TCB demos". Inside there was a very long secret download URL. He proudly uttered "Download and play it and you will be a new blessed person" and left. And so I got TCB-Demo hours earlier than everyone else.

I can confirm this.

You confirmed that? :huh

04-11-2007 at 07:03 AM
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
RoboBob3000 wrote:
You confirmed that? :huh
There was a thread on the TCB beta board about it.

04-11-2007 at 07:08 AM
Blondbeard
coppro wrote:
Blondbeard wrote:

I can confirm this one

Oh, can you? ;) Anyway... I sure want my own cloak of invisibility when it becomes possible to get one. If I can afford it, that is. (Probably not... but one can dream, right?)
04-11-2007 at 08:12 AM
tokyokid
Rank Points: 453
Distant Roots

Beleive it or not, my famaily is realated to Webster. Yes, the guy who made the dictionary.

Well, I have my famaily tree around the house. Do you want me to go get it?

Yes, this is true.

[Last edited by tokyokid at 04-14-2007 07:10 PM]
04-11-2007 at 12:45 PM
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
Walking in Linus Torvald's Footsteps

I went to the same "elementary school" and "high school" and study at the same university as Linus Torvalds.

I had the same maths/physics teacher as LT in high school (or the Finnish equivalent), study at the same faculty at the University and am a member of the same student organization as he was (some people there know him personally).

This statement is partially true. I did go to the same high school and university (this information can be verified through research (but probably not with simple internet research)), but not the same elementary school. I used to have it in one of my answers in the questionnaire thread on this forum, but edited it out before submitting this.

[Last edited by Stefan at 04-11-2007 08:56 PM : changed to correct unhidetime]
04-11-2007 at 01:42 PM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Tahnan vs. Eytanz

Though eytanz and I are civil to each other in general (including here), we're bitterly opposed professionally.

Eytanz's dissertation concerns plurals in English and the events they relate to. My own work, about concealed questions--nouns that have question meanings--is similarly directly concerned with singular vs. plural nouns. To get my theory to work, I have to make a very particular assumption about how plurals can and cannot be used, and which words can or cannot be made plural. That assumption directly contradicts his theory. (I suspect this is a result of his working with Liina Pylkkänen, who studied with me at MIT and who similarly disagreed with me on this point.) Again, though we're quite friendly otherwise, I thought we were going to start actually fighting during the question period after my talk at this year's annual meeting of the Linguistic Society of America in Anaheim.

Click here to view the secret text

Note: I know that eytanz himself can easily confirm this (or deny it?), but I trust he will refrain from commenting and instead go back to coming up with a working theory for 'When bishops meet, he blesses him'.
04-11-2007 at 08:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
Rank Points: 854
CSI truth or fiction

On a recent episode of a crime solving type show, a stolen laptop was tracked down using the little known fact that GPS chips are now installed in all newer laptops. The show stated that only law enforcement knows how to access these GPS systems. This is why it is so important to regiser your purchase. So if your laptop is ever stolen you can ask the law enforcement agency to track it using its GPS chip.

All newer cell phones have chips that give your location for 911. Now because of easy wireless access being standard in laptops this has GPS been expanded to laptop computers.

Maybe some day but for now this was just make belive or so it seems the FBI isn't telling. Seems a good idea given all the government laptops that have been stolen recently.

[Last edited by techant at 04-13-2007 08:06 AM]
04-12-2007 at 09:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dex Stewart
Rank Points: 355
Beam me up Scotty!

Scientists have discovered a way to teleport matter.

To be more exact, they found a way to create a molecule in a distant location which has the esact same properties of another molecule.
04-12-2007 at 04:46 PM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Dex Stewart wrote:
which has the exact same properties of another molecule.
Color me naive, but how many properties does a molecule have? I mean, doesn't a molecule of the salt in the salt shaker in front of me have the same properties as a molecule of the salt in the shaker over there (it's got sodium, it's got chlorine, they're bonded in a certain way...)?
04-12-2007 at 07:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Dex Stewart wrote:
Beam me up Scotty!

Scientists have discovered a way to teleport matter.

To be more exact, they found a way to create a molecule in a distant location which has the esact same properties of another molecule.
One word: Heisenberg.
04-12-2007 at 08:43 PM
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129
Tahnan wrote:
Dex Stewart wrote:
which has the exact same properties of another molecule.
Color me naive, but how many properties does a molecule have? I mean, doesn't a molecule of the salt in the salt shaker in front of me have the same properties as a molecule of the salt in the shaker over there (it's got sodium, it's got chlorine, they're bonded in a certain way...)?

Well, technically, salt is an ionic compound, not a molecular compound.

[Last edited by Pinnacle at 04-14-2007 06:00 PM]
04-12-2007 at 08:59 PM
tokyokid
Rank Points: 453
Kid Principle

In the second grade, I won a contest and became principle for a day. Another student, the principal, and I went to get Ice Cream, and we also got a book from Barnes and Noble.

I even gave out a few detentions, and acted like a principle would.

I have pictures, and I still have the book.

100% true!

[Last edited by tokyokid at 04-14-2007 07:11 PM]
04-13-2007 at 12:56 PM
Casebier
Rank Points: 283
noma wrote:
Does Beethro watch Battlestar Galactica?

Mr. Budkin has been overheard using expletives from the popular series Battlestar Galactica.

A bizarre dimensional leak, similar to the one that leaked the song "Watchtower" during this year's season finale, has added the word "frak" to Beethro Budkin's vocabulary.
Yep, I can confirm this one.
Click here to view the secret text

04-13-2007 at 04:09 PM
Casebier
Rank Points: 283
Champion Nick Arcade Contestant

I won the grand prize on Nickelodeon's old gameshow, Nick Arcade.

My family was at the gates of Universal Studios before the park opened. As soon as we got through the gate, I ran ahead to the Nickelodeon booth to get tickets to see the show. When I got there, they asked if I had a friend and wanted to be a contestant. (It was me and my older sister.) The games I ended up playing were Super Ghouls and Ghosts and Godzilla. Millie is my sister, and my name is John. It was aired in January in the first year of broadcast.

This is false. What really happened is that I reached the booth and they asked if I was over 13. I said no (I was only 12, but my sister was 15). I think they were actually looking for contestants, and to this day I kick myself, since I was really good at video games. We ended up just watching the game from the audience.

04-13-2007 at 04:27 PM
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Bluff Me submission thread (Entries and discussion of those entries for the April Competition go here)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com