Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Quirk's Mode (Now with extra science)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
starwed
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 49
IP: Logged

File: Quirks Mode.hold (12 KB)
Downloaded 113 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Quirk's Mode (+2)  
Updates
March 24: Hopefully fixed 3 unintended solutions.
April 11: Added makeshift second level; will be refactored to be a TCB hold. :)

Original message

This is the first level of a hold I've been working on. The basic story, although I haven't included any scripting yet: Beethro is hired to clear out a hold created by a mad-scientist type by the name of Dr. Quirk. It'll probably end up being 3 levels.

This first level is intended to be fairly easy, but hopefully emphasize some of the techniques you'll need for the harder levels. I'd especially like to know if any of the rooms seem to be out of line with the intended difficulty. (There's one I'm a bit worried about, but I'll let you guys make up your own minds on this.)

Please give it a try. :) (I've got a lot of individual rooms designed for the later levels, but have to somehow fit them together into a coherent whole... )

[Last edited by starwed at 04-11-2007 08:22 PM : second level]
03-22-2007 at 04:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
MeckMeck GRE
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 594
icon Re: Quirk's Mode (0)  
I have to say that the room Level 1 : 1N1W was really cool. I like the concept of it.
03-22-2007 at 06:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
starwed
Most of the rooms are fine, but some need more checkpoints.
Any in particular? (I really wanted to minimize annoyance on the first level, so anything that's too irritating should be purged.)

I have to say that the room Level 1 : 1N1W was really cool. I like the concept of it.
Thanks! Hopefully you don't get sick of the concept on the later levels...
03-23-2007 at 02:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1913

File: QuirkDemos.rar (2.1 KB)
Downloaded 57 times.
icon Re: Quirk's Mode (+1)  
This hold is looking GREAT to me.

I like the level layout
I like the room layouts
I like the puzzles
Adding the story elements will be a good bonus

I found the puzzles to be medium to hard mostly.

Room comments-

2N1E: Very well done.
1N1W: Good
1N: OK. Not sure what was intended. I ended up killing the snake w/ 1 goblin.
1N2E: OK
1W: fine
Entr: Fine
1E: Unintended solution? see demo
2E: Unsolved
1S1W: Bottom part good. Top part unintended solution? Can exit enclosure and draw monsters out easily.
1S: OK
1S1E: OK
1S2E: Unsolved
2S1W: OK, pretty easy.
2S: Unintended solution? see demo
2S1E: OK
2S2E: OK

Keep up the good work, I love it!

03-23-2007 at 03:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1306
I can't get 2N1E.
Is it even possible?
03-23-2007 at 11:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bobkberg
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 20
Other folks don't seem to have had a problem with 2S, 2E, but I haven't been able to keep the guard out of the way. I'll try some searches.

Overall though, it's been a fun hold - and some serious challenges.

Bob

03-24-2007 at 05:59 AM
bdwing
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 288
Overall, this is a nice little puzzle hold.

I, somehow, managed to do all the rooms except 2S1E and 2S2E.

In 2S1E I can get the guard to open the yellow door and to back up to the right side -- where he just wavers back and forth and refuses to come out and fight me. Perhaps this is a scripting error? Perhaps I just haven't mastered the technique needed here.

"Until it ends, there is no end."
03-24-2007 at 08:25 AM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1306
You need some clever manipulation of the orb you can hit at that point.
03-24-2007 at 01:11 PM
starwed
In 2S1E I can get the guard to open the yellow door and to back up to the right side -- where he just wavers back and forth and refuses to come out and fight me. Perhaps this is a scripting error?
Just to be clear, the weird behavior of the guard isn't due to scripting. A guard will never let his sword touch a bomb, but since the pathmap can't really account for this, they can get stuck in places where they really should be able to get past. Closing the door means that no path can reach Beethro, so the guard abandons the pathmap and uses a more roach-like AI.

I think I've fixed all the unintended solutions found by larrymurk, but I can't be sure because I haven't been able to look at them yet! I don't have internet access at home, and stupidly forgot to actually save his demo file onto my USB drive once I downloaded it... but I did look at the rooms he mentioned, and found an unintended solution in all of them. Hopefully we found the same ones; if so they should (?) be fixed now.

larrymurk wrote: 1N: OK. Not sure what was intended. I ended up killing the snake w/ 1 goblin.
I think I'll just remove this "puzzle" and replace it with a more story related element.

Thanks for all the feedback.

03-24-2007 at 04:43 PM
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
I am still amazed newbies can make very hard rooms... >_> So hard I can't even solve them! I could not solve any of the rooms because they're too hard. I_i

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

03-24-2007 at 04:51 PM
Insane
Rank Points: 154
Nuntar wrote:
I've solved four of the rooms so far :)

So have I :).
Waaay too hard for me.

-Insane
03-24-2007 at 08:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bwross
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 376
Very nice work so far (I've gone completely through the old and new versions). There are only two rooms that stand out as particularly weak, 1N and 2S1W (1N2E involves a similar "shuffle monsters before opening" thing in a much tighter package... 2S1W only adds some basic goblin control).

The trick to 1N1W is definitely not something that should be overused... the scroll is a nice clue (and a dead give away to anyone who knows the related quirk). Of course, it is also introduced earlier in the level. I've seen some levels that are very sensitive to it and are a bit random as a result. However, I do like the way 1N1W makes very clean use of it... the orthogonal tiles are certainly a nice touch to help keep things clean and not chaotic.

About 1S1E, is the outer ring of roaches supposed to be trivial:

I still don't understand what the decoy potion is doing in 1E... I figure it's just there so you can kill the mimic afterwards (it you want to go south without worrying about the fuses).

About 1S2E:

Overall, some very nice "simple" puzzles... but only truly simple if you've run across the specific quirks involved before. Otherwise, this hold will be quite a learning experience (and certainly a worthwhile one).

03-24-2007 at 11:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Man, how do you solve entrance??? Too complex for me.

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

03-25-2007 at 12:37 AM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214

03-25-2007 at 12:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
nvm got it as I posted, along with a little number of rooms.

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

03-25-2007 at 12:51 AM
tokyokid
Rank Points: 453
I'm just posting to say that 1W is ingenious. I never would have thought to solve it the way it was meant to be solved. (I killed the seep first). That is all.
03-25-2007 at 03:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
starwed
bwross wrote: About 1S1E, is the outer ring of roaches supposed to be trivial
Yup, as long as you think about where you enter the room.
I still don't understand what the decoy potion is doing in 1E... I figure it's just there so you can kill the mimic afterwards (it you want to go south without worrying about the fuses).
That's exactly it. (If people think it's too confusing, I can just remove it.)
About 1S2E

tokyokid wrote: I'm just posting to say that 1W is ingenious. I never would have thought to solve it the way it was meant to be solved. (I killed the seep first). That is all.
Wait, does that mean you found a way to kill the seep first and still get past the wubba?
03-25-2007 at 05:33 PM
tokyokid
Rank Points: 453
starwed wrote:
tokyokid wrote: I'm just posting to say that 1W is ingenious. I never would have thought to solve it the way it was meant to be solved. (I killed the seep first). That is all.
Wait, does that mean you found a way to kill the seep first and still get past the wubba?
No, but that's the way I tried it the first time. When I discovered it was impossible to get past the wubba, I realized the seep had to die last.
03-25-2007 at 05:35 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
This is a really nice hold.

Like a few others, though, I'm stuck on 2S2E - I've tried all five monster orders (the sixth doesn't work because the goblin goes into the force arrow trap and shoves ahead in line) and I can't keep the guard from backswiping a monster.

2E (diamond-bombing the goblins) doesn't seem especially likely either, though it could just be me not going about it in the right fashion.

03-25-2007 at 05:54 PM
Insane

File: screen.png (367.6 KB)
Downloaded 342 times.
I also can't get 2S 2E.
Any hints?

-Insane

EDIT: Oh yeah, I also need help with 1W.
I figure I have to get the seep to 1, but how?

Room image:

[Last edited by Insane at 03-25-2007 06:54 PM]
03-25-2007 at 06:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bwross
Insane wrote:
I also can't get 2S 2E.
Any hints?

EDIT: Oh yeah, I also need help with 1W.
I figure I have to get the seep to 1, but how?

That's the spot you want. You just need to lure it to a position first where you can get enough time to run to a position where it can't get around the corner in time. Yeah, that's not much of a hint, but I'm sure you'll figure it out if you toy with it a bit... it doesn't require anything particularly obscure.
03-25-2007 at 07:20 PM
Insane
bwross wrote:

My best bet so far was this order:

If I do that, he doesn't do anything until I enter the chamber, whereupon he backtracks the goblin, and moves south, blocking me after two turns.

As for the seep, I've been toying around with all combinations I've found so far, no luck.

-Insane
03-25-2007 at 07:27 PM
bwross
2E (diamond-bombing the goblins) doesn't seem especially likely either, though it could just be me not going about it in the right fashion.

You need to consider not only how the bombs interact with force arrows, but how movement occurs off and on of force arrows (particularly off of them). When you put the two together it actually becomes rather simple to accomplish.

A big hint:

03-25-2007 at 07:28 PM
bwross
My best bet so far was this order:

I used:

And the big clue on how to use that:
03-25-2007 at 07:35 PM
Insane
Excellent, solved that too now.
Also, for the room with the Wraithwings and the rock golems, I'm pretty sure I have to get the golems completely on top of the wraithwings when the black gate opens.

I have been trying for ages, and the best I've gotten so far was all correct except one.

Any hints on how to get them all properly aligned?

-Insane
03-25-2007 at 07:45 PM
bwross
starwed wrote:
About 1S2E

Yeah, it occurred to me that that might have been the "lesson" this morning. I didn't fall for deception, I used the correct way the first time simply because I knew that it would be easier to work with the goblin with the way the corridor is arranged. You're probably correct about the other way not working at all... I tried it and couldn't find a solution (although that doesn't mean that there isn't someone who knows some greater secret about goblins that can pull that off somehow).
03-25-2007 at 07:48 PM
bwross

Not particularly, I just shuffled around until I got no golems on the bottom. I suppose a little hint might be not allowing things to settle... it's much easier to arrange for three columns than for all five.
03-25-2007 at 07:57 PM
bwross
Quick note on 1W:

I've discovered that you don't need to be fully efficient... there's a leeway of one move (eg you can start one square east of where you need to be to lure the seep and still make it to the critical point in time). That might be unintentional.
03-25-2007 at 08:05 PM
Insane
bwross wrote:

Not particularly, I just shuffled around until I got no golems on the bottom. I suppose a little hint might be not allowing things to settle... it's much easier to arrange for three columns than for all five.

Aah, that helped.
My last worries are with 1N and 2N 1E.
The first one, I just can't seem to manipulate the goblin right,
The second one, I have absolutely no idea how to solve.

-Insane
03-25-2007 at 08:13 PM
bwross
Insane wrote:
My last worries are with 1N and 2N 1E.
The first one, I just can't seem to manipulate the goblin right,
The second one, I have absolutely no idea how to solve.

The thing with 1N is that it doesn't really force anyone to learn or even use any knowledge. I didn't bother thinking about serpent timing or serpent and goblin move preferences, I just danced around the grid until the time and an edge came together in a way that would work.

As for 2N1E, there are 4 things and the order things need to be done should become pretty apparent after a bit of thought. However, accomplishing that might require a bit of playing around with the decoy and Wraithwing (so if things look like they're really not going anywhere, restart and try something different... there aren't that many possibilities).
03-25-2007 at 08:50 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Quirk's Mode (Now with extra science)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com