Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Count Theme's Dungeon (Variety)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

5.9/10 (25 votes)
σ 1.97
Author Name:Tokyokid
Submitted By:tokyokid
Hold Name:Count Theme's Dungeon
Theme:Variety
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:19
Number of Rooms:277
Number of Monsters:4120
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:0 (+1 / -1)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Count Themes Dungeon.hold (100.6 KB)
Downloaded 1827 times.
License: Other
icon Count Theme's Dungeon  
A 19 level hold which gets harder as you get deeper!

Count Theme's Dungeon originally started July 23, 2006 with
Luigi's Hotel, which was later abandoned. A level of Luigi's Hotel
would be included in CTD. Count Theme's Dungeon did not start
until August 19th, when I started creating some more puzzles,
working around the level from Luigi's Hotel.

The beta board soon followed on August 22, after I'd completed
some more levels, and the testing started! And CTD was born.

Now a beautiful, masterpiece hold has been published!

Thanks to the hard-working testers; Elfstone, Dolan42,
jbluestein, MeckMeck GRE, jjohn7418, Niccus,Pilchard VIII, Ezlo,
bomber50, Jason, bdwing, Kevin_P86, Hikari, and the HA!

This is also the 5th hold to be approved by the new HA!

Enjoy! :)
12-01-2006 at 08:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3624
icon Re: Count Theme's Dungeon (0)  
Wow, nineteen levels?

That's plenty of rooms too.

Alright, I guess I'll give this one a try. :)

12-01-2006 at 08:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
UrAvgAzn
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 468
Its finally out! 19 levels? Whoa. I'm definitely going to play this right now. A beautiful masterpiece, you say? Must be really good. Now I feel kinda bad I didn't offer to beta test...

Keep posting,

12-01-2006 at 11:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Yeah, it's a really big hold, looking at the H&S images.

...which is kinda sad because I'm stuck at the first real big trapdoor puzzle, which just looks tedious and eye-hurting. I don't much like big ones unless there's an extra element to them, such as difficult combat or some sort of trap you must also avoid.

EDIT:

Done, and now doing Roach Pit I - it's just one of those things you just have to grit your teeth and do.

[Last edited by Chaco at 12-02-2006 12:14 AM]
12-01-2006 at 11:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
UrAvgAzn
Rank Points: 468
While when I saw Lobby 2N, I quit out of DROD: KDD, and came back here. Some of these rooms are really tedious, and Lobby 1N, really needs a checkpoint.

Keep posting,

12-02-2006 at 12:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Count Theme's Island : 3 North, 5 East doesn't really look possible (a-sploding brained queens behind two large doors, brain is behind red door)

Looks like the red doors and trapdoors were an afterthought, since it's impossible to get the trapdoors at upper-right, but it's possible to get the trapdoors at lower-right. However, the fact that those two tiles needed are in checkerboard tile instead of dirt really shines, showing that it was a last-minute (and pretty sloppy) addition.

...I'm pretty disappointed, I'd go as far as to say most of these rooms are Roaches Revenge quality.

12-02-2006 at 01:20 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
This hold went through the review process, and has been confirmed masterable. I'd be very surprised if this changed since yesterday.

12-02-2006 at 01:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Wait, I see how to do that now. Guess I should have just posted in Hints and Solutions. Moving on...

It's like, a bunch of rooms where you just have to kill a bunch of monsters, and you're running. And then there's actually something where you have to think and you kinda trip and fall.

[Last edited by Chaco at 12-02-2006 01:43 AM]
12-02-2006 at 01:41 AM
tokyokid
Rank Points: 453
Hey, don't knock the hold out yet, just give it a little more of a chance. The better levels are coming up!
12-02-2006 at 02:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
icon Re: Count Theme's Dungeon (+1)  
I really fail to see why you made a 19 level dungeon with not so good levels in the begining, and funny levels in the end. Wouldn't the hold as a whole have been better if you only used the better levels?
12-02-2006 at 02:56 AM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
So in the interest of "full knowledge", can you give some sense of what the heck is going on in Count Theme's Island: 1S1E? As far as I can tell, it seems to be "bombs explode whenever the heck they feel like it".
12-02-2006 at 10:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
I agree with eytanz on this... the hold has met all standards including masterable.

[EDIT]

Blondbeard... not everyone is good at such puzzles as yourself :) I've yet to play this hold but will wait a few days.

[Last edited by Syntax at 12-02-2006 10:57 AM]
12-02-2006 at 10:55 AM
Chaco
Actually, I think they explode whenver a monster enters some sort of range near the bomb. At least, that's how I ended up solving it.

12-02-2006 at 11:40 AM
tokyokid
Tahnan wrote:
So in the interest of "full knowledge", can you give some sense of what the heck is going on in Count Theme's Island: 1S1E? As far as I can tell, it seems to be "bombs explode whenever the heck they feel like it".
Yes, Chaco's right; they implode whenever a monster goes into their range.
12-02-2006 at 02:37 PM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
icon Re: Count Theme's Dungeon (+1)  
eytanz wrote:
This hold went through the review process, and has been confirmed masterable. I'd be very surprised if this changed since yesterday.

It is still masterable. :)

This is a pretty fun hold. Quite easy and the hardest room (a variation of an earlier room in the hold) wasn't required. Low point were the bombs that went off for no obvious reason. I didn't really like the Hook rooms for the same reason - some indication of where the monsters were going to appear would have been nice. Otherwise, nothing else bothered me enough that I still remember what it is.
12-02-2006 at 03:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
tokyokid
Thanks for comments. BTW, what is the hardest room?
12-02-2006 at 03:37 PM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
I found it to be Bottom of the Dungeon: 1N
12-02-2006 at 03:47 PM
tokyokid
That's what I thought. I also thought it was too hard (some of the testers complained), so I made it non-required.
12-02-2006 at 03:50 PM
Tahnan

File: Random Explosions.demo (1.9 KB)
Downloaded 75 times.
License: Public Domain
tokyokid wrote:
Yes, Chaco's right; they implode whenever a monster goes into their range.

Uh, really? What "range"? Attached is a demo in which:

* The northernmost bomb goes off when a snake is four spaces south, three spaces west of it;
* The southeasternmost bomb doesn't go off even when a snake has come one square north, two squares west of it;
* The southernmost bomb doesn't go off until a snake is diagonally adjacent to it.

Is the "range" different on each bomb? Are we required to guess? That's exactly the sort of random scripting that makes me vote holds lower than I otherwise would (see, e.g., my comments on Tokyokid's entries into the Al Dente contest).
12-02-2006 at 06:01 PM
Chaco
The problem here is that the ranges are pretty small and the characters can't appear in an area that has a monster (or Beethro) in it.

12-02-2006 at 07:17 PM
Tahnan
The problem here is that there's unpredictable scripting.
12-02-2006 at 07:54 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Several rooms have been marked as unhighscorable for no particular reason (for example, Count Theme's Island 4N, which while very easy as a room, is not trivial to optimize)

12-02-2006 at 10:32 PM
Tahnan
That's exactly what inspired me to post this request.

Go ahead, ask me what I thought of the scripting in the Courtyard. (Such as the "looks like a complex" comment every time you go into 7N4E, from any direction; or the joy of the unpredictably appearing monsters in 7N2E.)
12-02-2006 at 10:57 PM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
After playing through the hold a bunch for testing, I rather enjoy this hold. I gave it 4 brains with a 7 rating.
12-02-2006 at 11:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
selotte
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 22
I like the first eight levels, but must give up at Rocky Road. I miss hold thatīs not to hard to play. A quistion; When you look at the levellist, Rocky Road comes before Count Themesīs Island , but aften when you play?
12-03-2006 at 06:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
tokyokid
selotte wrote:
A quistion; When you look at the levellist, Rocky Road comes before Count Themesīs Island , but aften when you play?
Probobly when I was in the editor, I accedentally dragged Rocky Road before CT Island. It doesn't really matter, I think.
12-03-2006 at 06:09 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Well, I'm just over half way through so I won't vote yet but may I just say you have a great way with trapdoor puzzles. And I mean puzzles. I tend (as a lot of people here) not to enjoy them much but when they're designed like this, it's a pleasure :)
12-03-2006 at 11:54 PM
Stephen4Louise
Rank Points: 548
Syntax wrote:
Well, I'm just over half way through so I won't vote yet but may I just say you have a great way with trapdoor puzzles. And I mean puzzles. I tend (as a lot of people here) not to enjoy them much but when they're designed like this, it's a pleasure :)

I agree, the trapdoor puzzles here were great. Too many holds have trapdoor "puzzles" where a quick glance reveals the solution.

Overall, I liked the hold. Not too difficult, but not so easy that it was boring.

Keep up the good work tokyokid.

Steve.
12-04-2006 at 08:35 AM
Tahnan
OK, I'll admit: I rated this hold somewhat low. In part because of my (oft-admitted) dislike of unpredictable scripting, as well as occasional bad scripting, and (another pet peeve) open-edged rooms with obstacles in the next room stopping you from leaving from certain squares.

And in part because I went through a number of rooms thinking, "Ah, I see, instead of killing the delver with monsters, we're trying to bore him to death." (For instance: Courtyard 8N2W, Roach Pit I 3N3E, Roach Pit II's secret room, Count Theme's Island 4N1E, Deep Pits Entrance and a few other rooms on that level, the whole of the Cave of Time...)

I'm not being entirely fair (in fact, I'm about to go bump by ranking up a point), because there are a good number of nice rooms in here: some perhaps fun only from an optimizing standpoint, but at least some that are quite interesting. I only wish that there were far fewer of the "filler" rooms.
12-04-2006 at 10:22 AM
Chaco
I'm not sure, I liked the concept of the Cave of Time, but it probably could have been expanded a bit - in it's current form it was rather boring, I agree.

12-04-2006 at 11:30 AM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Count Theme's Dungeon (Variety)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com