Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : "Uninteresting" rooms
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Tahnan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2459
IP: Logged
icon "Uninteresting" rooms (0)  
A small matter, but: it'd be cool if there were something (on the map? in the corner of the room?) to indicate that a room has been marked as "uninteresting" from a high score standpoint.
12-02-2006 at 10:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
icon Re: "Uninteresting" rooms (-1)  
I think that this is a great idea. If there is a vast majority of first place ties the room should be marked uninteresting from a high score point of view.

It might help as well if the first room in a level didn't always get a first place. For sure if it didn't have any monsters in it.

I wish that man would stay away
12-02-2006 at 10:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: "Uninteresting" rooms (0)  
The spitemaster wrote:
I think that this is a great idea. If there is a vast majority of first place ties the room should be marked uninteresting from a high score point of view.

It might help as well if the first room in a level didn't always get a first place. For sure if it didn't have any monsters in it.

Hey! Don't hijack Tahnan's feature request (which is pretty useful) to introduce a totally different discussion. The question of which rooms to mark uninteresting is totally independent of the question of whether this information is visible in the game.

12-02-2006 at 10:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Tahnan wrote:
A small matter, but: it'd be cool if there were something (on the map? in the corner of the room?) to indicate that a room has been marked as "uninteresting" from a high score standpoint.
True, but you can just hit F6, which from memory tells you if the rooms is unhiscorable whether you have completed it or not. I admit that it is a bit inconvenient though.
12-03-2006 at 04:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
NiroZ wrote:
True, but you can just hit F6, which from memory tells you if the rooms is unhiscorable whether you have completed it or not. I admit that it is a bit inconvenient though.
But should I have to do that for every single room I enter? Especially in a hold like [mumble mumble], where a number of rooms seem to have been marked as uninteresting somewhat capriciously.
12-03-2006 at 06:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
Uninteresting rooms are rooms with 1-move demos, are they not? Which not only means that there are no monsters in the room, but also that there is at least one place you can enter the room and immediately exit. It's not hard to recognize these right away and not try to optimize the trapdoors+orbs puzzles. I fail to see why you need a special indicator unless you are optimizing everything, if which case you're bound to use F6 anyway.

[Last edited by Maurog at 12-03-2006 07:38 AM]
12-03-2006 at 06:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
Tahnan is talking about rooms that the architect has specifically marked uninteresting or unhighscorable

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 12-03-2006 07:37 AM]
12-03-2006 at 07:37 AM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
Oh, I seem to be out of touch with events. Yeah, marking those is definitely a good idea!

12-03-2006 at 07:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
I second that idea. Countless times I've optimised a room to find it was in vain.
12-03-2006 at 09:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
Second?
It's already been seconded twice.
But I agree with the idea.
12-04-2006 at 04:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
I third that idea.

Well, I can't first it because I didn't suggest it, and I can't second it because I'm no optimizer, and since I'm not an optimizer, I shouldn't care, but I do anyways, so . . . I third it.

12-04-2006 at 05:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
How does this interact with people without CaravelNet or spotty connections? Would this introduce large amounts of lag, as happens if there's lag when submitting highscores?

12-04-2006 at 06:03 AM
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1545
If it means a check on the server each time you enter a room, then it'd have to be an opt-in feature (it really is only of use to the people who optimise).

When I was about to say that yesterday though, it struck me that maybe uninterestingness could be built into the downloaded hold file, or just updated in a batch periodically (each time you start playing or something, possibly even asynchronously). In theory, you only need to download one bit per room -- the HTTP headers would be more of a bandwidth hit for most holds. :)

I like the idea of it being opt-in anyway though. If it's on by default then I think there's a risk that new players will get confused between uninteresting rooms and non-required rooms.

[Last edited by Tuttle at 12-04-2006 09:49 AM]
12-04-2006 at 09:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
eytanz
Since the game already needs to know whether or not there is an active caravelnet connection anyway, it could only perform the "uninteresting" check if it is connected.

12-04-2006 at 02:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Well, couldn't the uninteresting rooms be flagged as such in the hold data itself? That way no connection would be needed.
12-05-2006 at 12:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
How would that work? It's a purely server-side thing. I guess that room status could be synchronized whenever a connection is made and saved for later, but that would be a much bigger change to the game architecture, which means it's far less likely to actually happen anytime soon - I don't think Mike would do anything like that for 3.0. Moving the check (which is clearly done anyway) from being done after the room is completed to being done upon room entry seems like a smaller change and one which may happen in the near future. Therefore, I'd rather lobby for that now and if it is not sufficient, lobby for the bigger change later.

12-05-2006 at 01:43 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
eytanz wrote:
Moving the check (which is clearly done anyway) from being done after the room is completed to being done upon room entry seems like a smaller change and one which may happen in the near future.
That might also have the added bonus of telling the server you've just visited the room, if this info is used right server-side - that could also stop people from asking why they can't see the room image in H&S... :)

It might even be possible to send it in the same request used for uploading your highscore demo when exiting the room. And since that happens asynchronously in the background, you could just make an icon or message pop up to tell you the room is marked uninteresting, which would not take any more time.

(Of course, there's a slight chance you solve the room before said message pops up if you play lightning fast and the server lags, but I guess there's no additional harm in that... ;))

np: Yppah - We Aim (You Are Beautiful At All Times)

12-05-2006 at 09:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : "Uninteresting" rooms
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com