Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : [Poll] What do you think of Preannoucements? (A multiple question poll)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
What do you think of Preannoucements?
GREAT! I love 'em.
Fine, as long as they have a point
Fine, as long as they are interesting
Ok as long as what they are announcing comes shortly
Ok, as long as they eventuate in under a month
Ok, as long as they have something to show for in a week or so
I just avoid them
I 'ill be a cold day in hell when I like a preannoucement
I WILL PERSONALLY BUCHER EACH AND EVERY ONE I FIND!
Meh, I have my own opinions which can express better than this poll
errr, What?
Should there be a separate board for annoucing stuff, or something of the like?
HELL YES!
sure
dunno
no
NO WAY!
Pressing Vote will vote for all of the questions. Make sure you have voted in each one!
Note: Viewing results forfeits your right to vote.
Poster Message
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1302
IP: Logged
icon [Poll] What do you think of Preannoucements? (0)  
Meh, I'm sick of all this discussion. While useful, Eytanz made a very good point of the fact that quite often a small, agitated minority can be louder than a satisfied majority.

I will also link to :where I asked preannoucments to have a close release date, where the first massive discussion kicked off, the great overflow of irritation and mod points and the parody.

Hopefully we can end this in a clam manner once and for all.
11-15-2006 at 08:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
icon Re: [Poll] What do you think of Preannoucements? (0)  
I voted "As long as they have a point" and "Sure" though for the second one I would have voted "could go either way" if there was a choice like that.

Because, "dunno" is like, the worst thing to say among Imperial citizens.

[Last edited by Chaco at 11-15-2006 11:55 AM]
11-15-2006 at 11:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Well... To be honsest it depends on who it is that makes a pre-anouncement. If I made one it would kind of be a bad thing, since it would hardly raise any anticipation, unless I had some kind of sample to show. If larrymurk, or Jacob pre-anounces their holds it's a good thing. It makes me a bit happy to know that another masterpiece is on it's way. How could that be a bad thing? And the ones that don't like pre-anouncements can just ignore the thread.

I think a reasonable question to ask yourself before posting a pre-anouncement is: Will anyone care?
11-15-2006 at 12:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Chaco wrote:
Because, "dunno" is like, the worst thing to say among Imperial citizens.
Oh, I dunno...

*gets stoned to death like John Cleese when he said "Jehova"*

11-15-2006 at 12:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
Believe it or not, I actually vote for "Fine, as long as they have a point". This is only because there isn't a strict restriction to TCB preannouncements in the poll. Those are the only type of acceptable preannouncements. The Slytherin one, I admit, was cute, but could have been an announcement instead of a preannouncement. The wait was 2 days. That's rather silly. That started the trend though.

I also voted no to a pre-announcements board, because I feel they shouldn't exist. However, if they are an unstoppable force, then they should have their own board so I can go put all my downmods in one spot. Or avoid it, however vindictive I'm feeling that day.

[Last edited by zex20913 at 11-15-2006 01:37 PM : Clarity]
11-15-2006 at 01:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
icon Re: [Poll] What do you think of Preannoucements? (+1)  
Editing this entire post because it may not have clearly stated my feelings on this issue.

1. Please feel free to discuss how awesome or how horrible announcements are in this topic.
2. Please don't hijack every announcement topic to talk about #1. If you need to vent, just vent here. Or make a new topic, perhaps in The Site, about how announcement topics mark the end of a civilized world.
3. If you hate the announcements, feel free to mod them down as you see fit. That's what the mod system is for.
4. It would be unlikely that results of this poll will cause the Administrators to make any changes in forum policy. The General board is, according to its description, the place that DROD related announcements would probably go.

[Last edited by Schik at 11-15-2006 02:29 PM]
11-15-2006 at 02:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Blondbeard wrote:
Well... To be honsest it depends on who it is that makes a pre-anouncement. If I made one it would kind of be a bad thing, since it would hardly raise any anticipation, unless I had some kind of sample to show. If larrymurk, or Jacob pre-anounces their holds it's a good thing. It makes me a bit happy to know that another masterpiece is on it's way. How could that be a bad thing? And the ones that don't like pre-anouncements can just ignore the thread.

I think a reasonable question to ask yourself before posting a pre-anouncement is: Will anyone care?
As we're now spilling over into several threads, I'd just like to link this post here, as a response to that.

11-15-2006 at 02:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
Hopefully we can end this in a clam manner once and for all.

Um, how do clams end things? By shutting their shells to the world.

Hmmm, that started as a light hearted dig at a silly typo, but morphed into biting social criticism. I'm torn as to whether I should leave it up there. I'm going to because I think its witty and makes a decent point.

As for the vote... I tend to abstain from votes. I don't think that voting is the correct/best way to implement democracy.

11-15-2006 at 02:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
icon Re: [Poll] What do you think of Preannoucements? (+2)  
There is only one thing we absolutely know about every person in this forum. Everyone loves DROD (and we're smart, nice, and good-looking of course).

What is less certain is what each forumite enjoys reading on the DROD forum. I still can't figure for the life of me how a half of every page can be filled with "Predict the next poster". I'd prefer not to have all those posts cluttering things up, but obviously people love it so God bless them and if anything maybe we could add abnd option to "Ignore posts" based on certain options. Wouldn't that be nice. People could choose to ignore posts by larrymurk if they chose and I could not have those "Predict the next poster" posts displayed. In the mean time I don't think it's too hard too skip posts you don't like.

I happen to most like making and playing holds (go figure). I think it would be great if we had a "Hold discussion" or "Hold Preannouncement" board, but I think it's a matter that we can't have a seperate board for everything. I hope everyone preannounces their hold. I'd have a lot of fun anticipating the upcoming holds.
11-15-2006 at 03:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
larrymurk wrote:
we're smart, nice, and good-looking of course
I'm not! :angry

Click here to view the secret text

np: Kettel - Mauerbrecher (My Dogan)

11-15-2006 at 03:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Agaricus5 wrote:
By posting what is essentially an advert, you are elevating yourself and your message above this level, and essentially saying that your post and object is in some way deserving of hype that other threads do not have.

This isn't nesecerilly true. You might just as well think that a certain percentage of the peoples at the forum will enjoy what you write. If you are right your post is a good post, and it doesn't really matter if it's a pre-anouncement or not. I think it's as simple as that. If a post makes the world into a microscopically happier place it's a good post.
11-15-2006 at 03:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
stigant wrote:
As for the vote... I tend to abstain from votes. I don't think that voting is the correct/best way to implement democracy.
<off-topic>
You think freedom means doing whatever you want, but that's not true freedom. True freedom means doing what I tell you!

(One of my favorite C.S. Lewis jewels.)
</off-topic>

I think I would express my views about pre-announcements based on these principles:

A pre-announcement is a top-level post. As a top-level post, it ought to be heavy on contribution content-wise (IMHO), and announcing something that hasn't actually materialized yet doesn't count as content. But giving details about something that a good number of people will be interested in when it comes out might count as content, if the details prove to be accurate and they aren't forgotten by the time they're verified (meaning the actual item being preannounced ought to follow reasonably quickly on the tail of the preannouncement).

There are also other ways of making sure a post has a content contribution. For example, injecting top-level post with humor or useful background.

Just my $0.02.

++Adam H. Peterson
11-15-2006 at 05:48 PM
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
icon Re: [Poll] What do you think of Preannoucements? (+1)  
AlefBet wrote:
stigant wrote:
<off-topic>
You think freedom means doing whatever you want, but that's not true freedom. True freedom means doing what I tell you!

(One of my favorite C.S. Lewis jewels.)
</off-topic>

The Last Battle, right? Awesome.

11-15-2006 at 06:01 PM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Good book, and a good character as well! :smile
11-15-2006 at 06:20 PM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
zex20913 wrote:
Believe it or not, I actually vote for "Fine, as long as they have a point". This is only because there isn't a strict restriction to TCB preannouncements in the poll.
I did that for a reason. Basically, I think it is quite unfair to allow X but say no to Y, even if it is about something made by Caravel.

I also think that(voters only please)
Click here to view the secret text

11-16-2006 at 07:10 AM
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
I was looking for a "Couldn't give a monkey's" option
11-16-2006 at 12:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
bandit1200 wrote:
I don't think Schik and krammer would've liked that...

11-16-2006 at 12:11 PM
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
Briareos wrote:
bandit1200 wrote:
I don't think Schik and krammer would've liked that...
Oh, I don't know... Now if I had said I *could*, it'd be a different matter,
depending on whether you know what the original saying was before it got shortened
11-16-2006 at 12:49 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : [Poll] What do you think of Preannoucements? (A multiple question poll) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com