Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Vote for Virtual Burning Man. (Digg/Virtual Burning Man experiment.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Vote for Virtual Burning Man. (+1)  
I've been looking at Digg for a while, and at first glance, it looks like a good place to get coverage of some DROD news occasionally. The concept of Digg is that anyone can go and mod up news items to get them to show more prominently. The people running it don't seem to mind "get-out-the-vote" efforts, because of course, it brings them new readers and they grow more powerful.

So who wants to rock the vote? I posted a news article about Virtual Burning Man. If getting a bit more attention for DROD and our forum seems like a worthy cause, and you don't mind the effort, then try this out:

1. Go to http://digg.com and log in. If you don't have an account there, it only takes a minute to fill out the forms and do the e-mail verification. Then you are a fully legitimate Digg citizen! (By the way, I don't mind recommending the site to you. I actually think it's a pretty cool place to get news, and not yet overrun with the Slashdot brand of kneejerk cynicism.)

2. Browse to this article I wrote, and as long as you think it's appropriately interesting news for Digg, click on the "Digg it!" button. Bam! That puts us a little bit closer to making the front page.

It should be fun to see how many diggs we can get. I admit that I may have a flawed understanding of how the system works, but it seems possible we could push the article into the light. For the sake of honor, please don't use extra e-mail addresses to vote multiple times. We aren't out to cheat our way in. Also, if you put in a digg, post here so we can keep track of how many diggs come from the DROD community versus other users.

-Erik

09-24-2006 at 02:53 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1302
icon Re: Vote for Virtual Burning Man. (+1)  
2 problems.

1. There is alot of smacktards on Digg. There are still good people there, but there is enough smacktards to make me avoid the comments as much as possible.(do we really want them?)

2. The diggers(thats what the Digg community call themselves) don't like astro turf campaigns. I would say that this would be borderline, but it will be interesting to see what happends.

[Last edited by NiroZ at 09-24-2006 03:01 AM : carafication]
09-24-2006 at 03:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5383
icon Re: Vote for Virtual Burning Man. (0)  
Well, I've never been a visitor of digg, but... what the heck. Dugg.

09-24-2006 at 03:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
astro turf = fake grassroots campaigns?

There are smacktards everywhere, and it's not like we can push this up to the top of Digg unless it genuinely appeals to people.

09-24-2006 at 03:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
NiroZ wrote:
1. There is alot of smacktards on Digg. There are still good people there, but there is enough smacktards to make me avoid the comments as much as possible.(do we really want them?)
It's a good question, but I imagine that the low barrier to entry of forum sign-up will discourage bored little jerks with short attention spans from doing much.
2. The diggers(thats what the Digg community call themselves) don't like astro turf campaigns. I would say that this would be borderline, but it will be interesting to see what happends.
Yeah, I guess I've heard it both ways from my perusal. It seems that some of the diggers are worried about it and others aren't. Still, I don't want to pollute another site with unwanted garbage, which is why I say, vote for the article if you think it is good news to go on Digg.

-Erik

09-24-2006 at 03:14 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Mattcrampy wrote:
astro turf = fake grassroots campaigns?

Sorry, bad wording. You get the idea though

There are smacktards everywhere, and it's not like we can push this up to the top of Digg unless it genuinely appeals to people.

true, but there are always places with more smacktards than others. for example compare the people who play multiplayer Civ 4 to those who play Counterstrike: Source.

[Last edited by NiroZ at 09-24-2006 03:18 AM : fixed quotes]
09-24-2006 at 03:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
vylycyn
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 486
The article has been dugg(by me).

I'd be glad to see this reach the front page of Digg, but unless the Digg crowd votes it up this probably won't happen.
Digg is set up so that the votes of newer users are less effective for getting things to the front page.
An article can have anywhere from around 20 to around 100 votes before being promoted to the front page, depending on who is voting for it.

Although I like Digg, personally I find that reddit is generally a better site, with its downmodding, recommendation system, and better comments.
Not that I don't use Digg.
My collection of 65 pages of dugg articles is proof that I obviously do.

-William

09-24-2006 at 05:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5064
I recently started looking into Digg myself. Digging an article like this has motivated me to register :thumbsup

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
09-24-2006 at 05:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
The Digg has been Dugg.

09-24-2006 at 06:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
icon Re: Vote for Virtual Burning Man. (+5)  

09-24-2006 at 08:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
RoboBob3000 wrote:
*digdug picture*

We can close the thread now, we're done.
09-24-2006 at 08:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
chinook
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 61

Dugged. Brought it up to 22.

09-24-2006 at 11:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
trick
Rank Points: 2580
Ah, Dig Dug. I once typed in a C64 version of that game from a magazine. The listing spanned several pages, and was written entirely in hex codes. Thank god it had a checksum mechanism built in ..
Banjooie wrote:
We can close the thread now, we're done.
You know, you seem like a nice guy, but I'm kinda glad you're not a moderator here. I mean, half the forum would be closed.

- Gerry

[Last edited by trick at 09-25-2006 11:23 PM : grammar ? what grammar ?]
09-25-2006 at 11:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
can't speak for anything else he's said, but I took this response as a pure joke about "now that we've gone from digg to "Dig-Dug" we've covered the spectrum" and thus not really a call for the closing of the thread. nor really anything offensive in any way.

[Last edited by silver at 09-25-2006 11:39 PM]
09-25-2006 at 11:23 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
I don't know which is worse, the fact that we're talking about Banjooie in a Digg thread, or the fact that I of all people actually got the Dig Dug joke before somebody explained it.

09-25-2006 at 11:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
trick wrote:
You know, you seem like a nice guy, but I'm kinda glad you're not a moderator here. I mean, half the forum would be closed.

- Gerry

Yes. Snipped. In their prime. Like /roses/.
09-25-2006 at 11:39 PM
trick
Rank Points: 2580
Banjooie wrote:
Yes. Snipped. In their prime. Like /roses/.
You're not by any chance a gardener, are you ? I can picture you now, darting from rosebush to rosebush with roses in your teeth; leaving nothing but huge unbroken fields of thorns in your wake.

- Gerry <3

[Last edited by trick at 09-26-2006 01:47 AM]
09-26-2006 at 01:46 AM
Banjooie
No, I just play one on TV.
09-26-2006 at 04:05 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Banjooie wrote:
No, I just play one on TV.

I saw that episode! That was you?!

Man, I thought you were younger. And the opposite sex.

09-26-2006 at 11:57 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Vote for Virtual Burning Man. (Digg/Virtual Burning Man experiment.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com