Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Seasons (A foot in the water!)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Elfstone
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1285
IP: Logged

File: Seasons.hold (2.3 MB)
Downloaded 89 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Seasons (+3)  
I dipped a toe in the water of Architecture for Ezlo's contest The Labyrinth of Mellenfral, and enjoyed making that wee level so much that I wanted to try my hand at something a wee bit bigger. The result is this mini-hold.

I have no pretensions about it being particularly clever or challenging. If you enjoy playing through it then I will be very satisfied.

Elfstone.

EDIT: updated version at the bottom of this page.

[Last edited by Elfstone at 09-25-2006 08:28 PM]
09-15-2006 at 09:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Hikari
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 438
icon Re: Seasons (+1)  
Yay! Elfstone's first hold!

I don't know that I've seen any other holds anywhere on here that treat architecture as something as close to fine art as this hold does. :)

09-15-2006 at 09:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Elfstone
icon Re: Seasons (0)  
Hikari wrote:
Yay! Elfstone's first hold!

I don't know that I've seen any other holds anywhere on here that treat architecture as something as close to fine art as this hold does. :)

:blush :blush :blush

(speechless)

Elf.
:)

09-15-2006 at 09:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Hikari
Elfstone wrote:
:blush :blush :blush

(speechless)

Elf.
:)

Well, it's true... I don't think there's *any* other holds on here where *every* room is both a fully playable DROD room for Beethro to run rampant in *and* has a fourth-wall-straddling representational quality to it that makes it enjoyable to look at the initial layouts of the rooms.

09-15-2006 at 09:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
I agree, this hold is awesome from an artistic standpoint! I love it!
09-15-2006 at 09:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
tokyokid
Rank Points: 453
I remember you posting all those topics about tunnels, rooms, etc, and now I can't wait to start playing!

edit: Wow! I love this hold! Artwork and custon images!! I jealous! I wish I could make hold art like that!
I'm only on Summer, but I'm loving it so far!

[Last edited by tokyokid at 09-15-2006 10:41 PM]
09-15-2006 at 10:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
UrAvgAzn
Rank Points: 468
This is an AWESOME hold! Its both nice to look at, and a great pazzle. I'm just on the second room of Spring and I already love it. Can't wait to see this on the holds board and for a sequel/other hold from you. Awesome.

Keep posting,

09-15-2006 at 10:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
I can only repeat what everyone said.

Although I don't see any custom images, is it me?

Edit: Found now.

[Last edited by Tim at 09-15-2006 11:28 PM]
09-15-2006 at 11:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
I just got past my first one. It's before what I assume is halfway through the hold.
09-15-2006 at 11:37 PM
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
And I thought I hated wubbas before playing this hold...

09-16-2006 at 05:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Hikari
Kevin_P86 wrote:
Are you talking about the last room of Autumn? Because it used to be worse ^^;;

09-16-2006 at 07:14 AM
Kevin_P86
Hikari wrote:
Kevin_P86 wrote:
Are you talking about the last room of Autumn? Because it used to be worse ^^;;

I am referring to a few rooms - Summer 2W and 1N2W (to a lesser extent), Autumn 1S1W, 1S2W, and 1W, and Winter 2N (to a lesser extent). But yes, the last room of Autumn was the most aggravating, by far.

09-16-2006 at 08:34 AM
Hikari
Kevin_P86 wrote:
I am referring to a few rooms - Summer 2W and 1N2W (to a lesser extent), Autumn 1S1W, 1S2W, and 1W, and Winter 2N (to a lesser extent). But yes, the last room of Autumn was the most aggravating, by far.
Believe me, the last room of Autumn used to be *much* worse. A lot of those tar babies used to be wubbas.

:was a private beta tester for this before it got released to Architecture:

[Last edited by Hikari at 09-16-2006 09:01 AM]
09-16-2006 at 09:01 AM
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
Wow! Nice hold!

09-16-2006 at 10:38 AM
Elfstone
May I say that I am more than chuffed at your responses. :blush :)

I'm a bit uncertain as to the etiquette of what happens next; if this is considered fit to be put on the Holds board ( and I know there has been some discussion of unworthy holds being put there and whether or not to remove them), when would I do that?

Elfstone.

09-16-2006 at 10:15 PM
Tim
What happens next? I'm still looking at the rooms. I can't say a lot yet, perhaps because it's already been tested quite well.

I do have a suggestion: all the rooms are meant to be solved and leave, as they are one-way rooms. It means that sometimes you can't walk back to previous rooms (to find a secret room, for instance). It is even possible for some of the rooms to be able to continue without clearing the current one. (for example Summer 1S2W) This is only a minor detail however, and I'm not even sure I would fix this if I were the architect.

But back to your question, can you wait a bit longer (like at least two more days)?

Edit: And until hold uploading has been fixed? There's a bug during uploading right now.

-- Tim

[Last edited by Tim at 09-16-2006 10:41 PM]
09-16-2006 at 10:41 PM
Elfstone
Mny thanks for replying Tim.

Tim wrote:
What happens next? I'm still looking at the rooms. I can't say a lot yet, perhaps because it's already been tested quite well.

yes; Hikari has been more than generous with his time and advice. :thumbsup

I do have a suggestion: all the rooms are meant to be solved and leave, as they are one-way rooms. It means that sometimes you can't walk back to previous rooms (to find a secret room, for instance).

Umm - why not? I'm obviously missing something, but I've just worked through a couple of rooms on 2 levels (in the game, not the editor) and I could backtrack.

It is even possible for some of the rooms to be able to continue without clearing the current one. (for example Summer 1S2W) This is only a minor detail however, and I'm not even sure I would fix this if I were the architect.

I tried Summer 1S2W again - the Butterfly Room - and as there is a green door, it has to be cleared of beasties before Beethro can exit. Again I may be missing something . . . . ?

But back to your question, can you wait a bit longer (like at least two more days)?Tim

Yes of course I'll wait as long as is appropriate ( and is the bug something to do with not being able to access the site today?)

Elfstone.

[Last edited by Elfstone at 09-16-2006 11:12 PM : Spelling - again!!!!!?]
09-16-2006 at 11:11 PM
Tim
Elfstone wrote:
Umm - why not? I'm obviously missing something, but I've just worked through a couple of rooms on 2 levels (in the game, not the editor) and I could backtrack.
Spring 1N2W, Summer 1S2W, Autumn 2S1W, Winter 2N, Winter 4N are not backtrackable.

The very last room it's not required to kill all monsters before leaving.
It is even possible for some of the rooms to be able to continue without clearing the current one. (for example Summer 1S2W) This is only a minor detail however, and I'm not even sure I would fix this if I were the architect.
I tried Summer 1S2W again - the Butterfly Room - and as there is a green door, it has to be cleared of beasties before Beethro can exit. Again I may be missing something . . . . ?
How about killing all monsters first, then release a tar baby?

But back to your question, can you wait a bit longer (like at least two more days)?
Yes of course I'll wait as long as is appropriate ( and is the bug something to do with not being able to access the site today?)
I usually find bugs while I'm not playing, but let the room sink in first, before I can find the real ones. (And it has nothing to do with the access of the site, besides Rabscuttle had it for almost a week already.)

-- Tim

[Last edited by Tim at 09-16-2006 11:50 PM : Edit: forgot to answer your question.]
09-16-2006 at 11:48 PM
Elfstone
Tim wrote:
Spring 1N2W, Summer 1S2W, Autumn 2S1W, Winter 2N, Winter 4N are not backtrackable.

The very last room it's not required to kill all monsters before leaving.

Aha - thanks for pointing that out - I have corrected all of those things, but it seems wise not to post an updated version yet? I'll wait to see if any more problems become apparent.

How about killing all monsters first, then release a tar baby?

yes, but isn't that often the case with tar/mud rooms; but if you do that the room goes back to red on the map, so I'm assuming the hold would not count as finished in that situation? (forgive my ignorance) I will try to think up a way to prevent that without spoiling the look of the room.

Many thanks again Tim. :thumbsup

Elf.

09-17-2006 at 10:45 AM
Kevin_P86
The only reason to complete required rooms is to drop the blue doors. If there are no blue doors between you and the stairs, you can complete the level, andtherefore conquer the hold without necessarily completing all required rooms.

09-17-2006 at 06:02 PM
Hikari
Add blue doors in exit rooms, make exit rooms not-required, put green doors as well to make sure the room gets completed.

Simple! :D

09-17-2006 at 08:37 PM
Elfstone
Hikari wrote:
Add blue doors in exit rooms, make exit rooms not-required, put green doors as well to make sure the room gets completed.

My thanks as ever, but didn't you tell me to take the blue doors out, because they meant having to go back out of the room the wrong way? :~(

Elf(confused)stone.

09-17-2006 at 08:55 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
This is true - the blue door opens when all rooms turn white. However, you can get the same effect by making exit room unrequired (so the blue door opens when all the other rooms are done) but putting a green door in the room.

This means that if the exit room is the last room, then the blue door will be open but the green door will not, but then you can use the stairs when done.

09-17-2006 at 09:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
Thanks Chaco - I'll get that done tomorrow. :)

Elf.

09-17-2006 at 11:08 PM
Hikari
Elfstone wrote:
Hikari wrote:

My thanks as ever, but didn't you tell me to take the blue doors out, because they meant having to go back out of the room the wrong way? :~(

Elf(confused)stone.
That suggestion was based on the previous rooms not being passable without clearing ^^;; Since some of them *are* passable without clearing, the blue doors need to be there.

Sorry about that ^^;;

09-18-2006 at 12:20 AM
Elfstone
Hikari wrote:
That suggestion was based on the previous rooms not being passable without clearing ^^;; Since some of them *are* passable without clearing, the blue doors need to be there.

Sorry about that ^^;;

Oh no problem at all, it's just my ignorance showing again. :~(

I'll sort out blue doors asap.

Elf.

09-18-2006 at 06:13 PM
Elfstone
The chances are I'll not be able to spend much time in here over the next couple of days, so I was wondering if, given that its is a week since I posted it here and there have been no further complaints about things in my hold, would it be appropriate to post it on 'Holds' now? I would like to have that feeling of completion before I start to something else.

Elfstone. :unsure

09-21-2006 at 10:18 PM
Tim
Is it possible to post your very latest version here? Or does the top post contain the latest version? Because it's very hard to test something that you have changed in the meantime... I'm not blaming you anything, but it's very common that fixing one problem creates another one, and I'd like to prevent that.

If I could suggest something, post your very final version here (except that it would be anyone-edit). After a week with no changes, switch back to 'you and masters only' and post it directly to holds.

09-22-2006 at 12:19 AM
Elfstone

File: Seasons.hold (2.3 MB)
Downloaded 56 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Seasons (+2)  
Thanks Tim.

I have done all the little bits of editing and here is the latest version.

If any of you have any further comments/suggestions I'll be very happy to hear them.

Elfstone.

09-24-2006 at 09:02 PM
tokyokid
Rank Points: 453
New version looks good! Thanks for putting in the blue door. Good job Elfstone! :D
09-25-2006 at 11:56 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Seasons (A foot in the water!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com