Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Beethro's Mission: Spiders (Themed Levels + Story)
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.9/10 (30 votes)
σ 1.80
Author Name:Dali
Submitted By:Dali
Hold Name:Beethro's Mission: Spiders
Theme:Themed Levels + Story
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:10
Number of Rooms:188
Number of Monsters:2078
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:6 (+6 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Beethros Mission Spiders .hold (276.5 KB)
Downloaded 2028 times.
License: Other
icon Beethro's Mission: Spiders  
A big hold that contains 6 levels.
Enjoy.

By Dali

09-11-2006 at 03:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jacob
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3741
icon Re: Beethro's Mission: Spiders (+1)  
admin wrote:Notes:
-If there are some rooms annoying or too long to complete, please tell it to me.
-You still can finish a room with an unintended solution.
-You can also find some english errors.

This really begs a certain, obvious question regarding certain boards on a certain forum...

09-11-2006 at 03:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Beethro's Mission: Spiders (0)  
Jacob wrote:
-If there are some rooms annoying or too long to complete, please tell it to me.

This really begs a certain, obvious question regarding certain boards on a certain forum...
Rrrr....this makes me want to delete this hold before any shenenigans ensue.

Edit: didn't realize this hold had already been on Architecture. That's fine with me since people have had a chance to play it for a long time and there are no known bugs.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 09-11-2006 09:43 PM]
09-11-2006 at 04:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
You know, halfway through the first level after the prologue, I'm finding it genuinely interesting; there's some familiar stuff, but at least one room has proved quite challenging, with an interesting and clever solution.

On the other hand, the prologue made me want to take a blue pencil to my monitor. ("Micro-ship"?) I appreciate that English isn't the native language of every architect, but please, if you know your spelling/grammar isn't very good (native speaker or otherwise), have someone proofread for you.
09-11-2006 at 04:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Andy101
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 222
mrimer wrote:
Jacob wrote:

Rrrr....this makes me want to delete this hold before any shenenigans ensue.
I don't think that you need to worry, this looks as if it's a very good and well polished hold. Although, having said that, the warp room doesn't work, but that could just be the stair bug and isn't critical.

[Last edited by Andy101 at 09-11-2006 05:28 PM]
09-11-2006 at 05:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
We seriously need to put the Upload Holds button in the Architecture forum or something.

09-11-2006 at 06:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Banjooie wrote:
We seriously need to put the Upload Holds button in the Architecture forum or something.
As pointed in some other topic, this hold has been on the architecture board. [link]

I guess that no-one simply paid any attention to the text (again, speaking from what I've heard. Haven't tried it yet). It's somewhat understandable that Dali uploaded this, because no bugs had been reported in a good while. Although it could've used a bump before the final release.
09-11-2006 at 06:59 PM
michthro
Level: Smitemaestro
Rank Points: 679
Ok, Dali's not a rank newbie, and his first hold was excellent, so I'm not worried. Having said that, if you think there may still be problems, then don't upload the hold and ask players to point out problems here. That's what Architecture's for.
09-11-2006 at 07:11 PM
silver
Rank Points: 915
minor bugs so far - none seem to prevent forward progress:

1) The Sealed Gate 1S: the guy says "micro-ship" when he means to say "microchip"

2) the 4th level main entrance ends hold instead of going back to level 3

3) 5th level main entrance stairs return to level 2, not level 4.

4) 5th level 2N1W, scroll says "maybe though" should say "maybe tough".

5) the 6th level main entrance ends the hold instead of going back to level 5

pretty fun so far. some nice medium puzzles. I'd've probably been stumped on a few ~3000 rooms ago.

---

incidentally, I would not recommend re-uploading the hold for the above errors. they are mostly cosmetic.

[Last edited by silver at 09-12-2006 07:27 AM]
09-12-2006 at 01:05 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
In level 1, 1N3E, if you leave to the north without solving the room you cannot return to the south (unless I'm missing some sort of secret passage).

Disclaimer: I'm posting the above as a warning for people playing this hold, not as a call for the hold to be updated. This is a minor bug and should not, on its own, be reason to update a hold.

(By the way, speaking of minor bugs, the hold is anyone edit).

[Last edited by eytanz at 09-12-2006 04:42 AM]
09-12-2006 at 04:33 AM
Tahnan
On the one hand, I'm enjoying the hold. On the other, "Scripting: Roach egg growed will make appear a new roach" (L2:1N1E) isn't even a sentence, and it's wildly underinformative. Oh, for an editor.
09-12-2006 at 06:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
I'm beginning to think half the fun of DROD user holds are the ones done by people who don't know any english, but are trying anyway.
09-12-2006 at 06:54 AM
silver
on the "more major bug" category, if you pass through 6th level 1E and exit to the south without conquering it, then return, you can neither get back out to the west, nor get the scripting to start up again, and it seems the scripting is necessary to conquering the room.

again, this is a warning to people rather than a request for a new upload. it's my fault for not noticing the arrow before I ran out south.

[Last edited by silver at 09-12-2006 07:57 AM]
09-12-2006 at 07:56 AM
Dali
Rank Points: 174
Some modifications has been made.

I'm really sorry if there still some errors, I was working this hold for 8 months or more and that's why I was a little bit in hurry to release this hold. It should have been tested by more people, I know. Really sorry for that. But anyway I'll try to do my best to upload frequently the hold if it seems necessary, even if it's quite difficult with the school work that it's waiting me
;)

The hold is now updated.

09-12-2006 at 04:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Which rooms were changed?
09-12-2006 at 05:25 PM
silver
well, all my demos passed except 6level 1E, which no one else had reached yet. so whatever the changes, they appear to affect everyone else only cosmetically. yay.
---

sixth level, after you drop the blue doors:
if you go down the spider path to the stairs, you cannot return to the main level area. although if you go to the "sealed gate 2" and then "return" you go to the end of level 5, which at least makes it possible to come back to level 6, albeit in a strange and indirect path. this could be fixed by moving the orb 1N2W north one square. then you could get back to the main level area by toggling the orb while standing on the door that's about to close :)

more annoying, however, is that if you go past the tar chunk in 1N3W to the secret rooms, you cannot return without dying on the second to last tar blob. ouch.
---
you'll want to mark 5th level 5N2E unhighscorable because you can't get the brain - I still have 16 rooms left to do, so I dunno if any are impossible, but from peeking in the editor, it looks they'll all be possible, so that's the only non-highscoreable room with monsters I know of, and I 1-move demod all the non-highscorable rooms, so there will be a total of 131 scorable rooms (I believe).

so if you upload the hold again, be sure to re-mark the 1-move-demo rooms as not highscorable, too.

here's the list of them. whenever you upload this hold, you must make sure to click the "profile" link up top, then click the "My Holds" tab. Then in the row with this hold, click the "High Score-able rooms" link, then (careful not to check off any extraneous rooms!) check off the following rooms and hit submit:

The Sealed Gate: 1S, 2S, 1S 1W, 2S 1W, 2S 1E, 3S 1E, 2S 2W, 2S 3W
First Level: 1E
Second Level: 1N
Third Level: 2N 4W
Fourth Level: 1W and 1S 3W
Fifth Level: 1E, 4N 1E, 5N 1E, 5N, and 5N 3E (plus 5N 2E is impossible due to placement of the brain)
Sixth Level: 1N 1W, 1N 2W, 1N 3W, and 4N 1W
The Sealed Gate 2: 1E, 1N 1E, 1N, 1N 1W, 3W, 1N 2E, 2N 2E (though honestly you could just click the entire level since the entrance has no monsters, and the other 2 rooms only can't be 1-move-demod because of the arrows)
??? Level: every room but the entrance (and the entrance being what it is, it would save you time just to click the box for the whole level)
Bonus Level: 1N

---

incidentally, nice job on fixing the bugs mentioned :)

[Last edited by silver at 09-13-2006 01:31 PM]
09-12-2006 at 07:06 PM
Tahnan
Just a quick note on a L4 room:

Click here to view the secret text

(Did I mention that I'm quite enjoying this hold?)
09-14-2006 at 06:27 AM
redfish
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 19
I've finished all the main areas of this hold and I like. The difficulty progresses nicely as levels increace and the goal of collecting spiders adds a nice quest type theme to the hold.

One question.

09-14-2006 at 05:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
silver
icon Re: Beethro's Mission: Spiders (+2)  
well, I mastered the hold, so I can assure you all the secret rooms are possible :)

I'm not sure about a couple rooms in the bonus level, but so far this hold has been very well tested for solvability (though perhaps not for other things :) )

09-14-2006 at 06:53 PM
Dali
silver wrote:
well, I mastered the hold, so I can assure you all the secret rooms are possible :)

I'm not sure about a couple rooms in the bonus level, but so far this hold has been very well tested for solvability (though perhaps not for other things :) )

Well Done Silver!! I hope you enjoyed the hold. As you said this hold has been tested, by some people and, I'd like to give a bigthank to vAmpir Who tested 80% of the hold.

For the secret level, It was tested, but partially. It was going to be a hold but finally I decided to put it in this hold.

[Last edited by Dali at 09-15-2006 06:16 PM]
09-15-2006 at 05:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Drgamer
Rank Points: 113
On the first level, 1S1W

Yet nothing happens...
09-15-2006 at 11:08 PM
Remlin
Rank Points: 181
icon Re: Beethro's Mission: Spiders (+2)  
I liked this hold a lot! I had a really bad case of "just one more room..." last night, I couldn't put the game down. It seemed well tested, and grammatical problems were at worst minor. The ratio of puzzle rooms to rooms that feel like chores is much better than most holds.
09-17-2006 at 10:58 AM
Dali
Remlin wrote:
I liked this hold a lot! I had a really bad case of "just one more room..." last night, I couldn't put the game down. It seemed well tested, and grammatical problems were at worst minor. The ratio of puzzle rooms to rooms that feel like chores is much better than most holds.

Thanks Remlin!! I'm pleased that you like the hold. If you see a real big grammatical problem, tell it or I'll pass for a Donkey :)
Anyway keep enjoying the hold and don't hesitate aking me any question about this hold.

[Last edited by Dali at 09-18-2006 03:52 PM]
09-18-2006 at 03:47 PM
tokyokid
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 453
Oh yeah. Loving this hold. Great roach puzzels! I played for a couple of hours last night, but only got to level 3! But still enjoying it! And I like it-medium difficulty. Great job!! :D
I gave this a 9 with 6.5 brains! Nice!~

[Last edited by tokyokid at 09-19-2006 10:38 PM]
09-19-2006 at 12:06 AM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
OK, I've mastered this hold. I really enjoyed it. Good puzzles, varied ideas, clever uses of scripting.

Negatives? Not many. Some language issues, but nothing that was really problematic.

I haven't yet solved all of the rooms on the secret level. Some good stuff there as well.

I give this hold a solid 8 with 6.5 brains of difficulty.

Josh

09-19-2006 at 03:51 PM
michthro
Yes, not surprisingly, after Lendy's Dungeon, great hold! Nearly every room a good puzzle. Some rooms were a bit tedious, but nothing too bad. And don't think the bonus level is one of those "well, this is what I came up with the day I discovered DROD, but I felt like including it somewhere" jobs. It's an excellent level.

Two problems with the Bonus Level, which I think is what silver referred to:

09-21-2006 at 10:59 AM
Tahnan
Thank heavens; I thought it was just me. Though for one of those two...

09-21-2006 at 04:38 PM
Dali

File: Beethros Mission Spiders.hold (335.4 KB)
Downloaded 44 times.
License: Public Domain
Some replies from the secret level:

For 1N3W:

4N1W: You're right. This room is impossible and it will be fixed. The problem is, as Tahnan said, the brain in 24;13 which is "disturbing".

[Last edited by Dali at 01-10-2007 03:56 PM]
09-21-2006 at 05:31 PM
michthro
Dali wrote:
For 1N3W:
What am I missing?

09-21-2006 at 05:58 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
michthro wrote:
Dali wrote:
For 1N3W:
What am I missing?

I'm with michthro here.

09-21-2006 at 06:34 PM
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Beethro's Mission: Spiders (Themed Levels + Story)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com