Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Beta testers wanted (finnally done...)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Dali
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 174
IP: Logged
icon Beta testers wanted (0)  
I got a new hold, and it's about 90% done. I need beta testers to test my hold that I fixed yesterday. It's a big hold, there's about
130 rooms(without the bonus level)and a story. The story and the Title (Mission: Spyders) may change

-Beta testers can from now Pm me and I'll link them the hold. Thanks.

05-17-2006 at 05:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 392
icon Re: Beta testers wanted (+1)  
I got a few complaints about it, but due to the fact that I suck at puzzles, I concentrated on NPC behavior and extras and such. Just how are you meant to get out of Eternl Void anyway?

Entryway

Entrance : Walking spider is killable.
Entrance : You can have all 7 spiders in the places before you even find them. Perhaps create an identical level via Ctrl + C and Ctrl + V and have it so one goes to the level without NPC's and the other with.
1S : You might wanna change What we gave you later to what we will you give you later or what we gave you earlier.
2S : I'll teach you how.
2S : Also, have it so the messages appear when you're in the bottom part only via 'Wait for player at : X:Y
2S1E : Stairs end the hold
2W : Just a grammar note, change find to found.

First level

Entrance : Have it so the player can get out of the force arrow again.
Entrance : You might wanna lose the NPC that does nothing.
1S1E : You can hide under the orb and kill the roaches and you can just stay in the alcove.
1S2E : What's with the sudden style change?
3E : Reminded me a lot of level 19 (?) of JtRH
4E : WTF? How in the hell are you meant to clear the roaches?!? Checkpoint please.

Third Level

2W : Lose the NPC that does nothing.
1S2W : Hmmm, very interesting. I like!

:no couldn't be bothered to do the rest 'cos I'm very tired. See I just came back from a trip to The Somme Battlefield and Thiepval and places like that. :no

[Last edited by Pilchard VIII at 05-20-2006 06:49 AM]
05-20-2006 at 06:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dali
icon Re: Beta testers wanted (0)  
Entrance : Walking spider is killable.
Forgot to put it Invincible. Fixed.

. Just how are you meant to get out of Eternl Void anyway?

It's impossible because I didn't finish the story.

-For the sudden Style changes, I don't have the full demo. There are propably from AE.
-Ok, I'm still bad n English. Fixed some grammar and expression. mistakes
Level 1 3E: I didn't play Jtrh yet.
Level 1 4E: Added.
Entryway 2S: Someone told me already. Thanks
Removed some NPC.
Hold is now uptated.

And thank you Pilchard VIII.

05-20-2006 at 09:17 AM
Geiler Hengst
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 64
Hi...

My first comments:
Nice hold, interesting puzzles but still some minor problems...

level1 1S: YOu can kill the NPC which makes no sense i guess.

level2 Most levels are fine and really nice ideas and difficult... just the nonexistence of a few morecheckpoints is a real pain in the ass.

1N: genious level... but add at least 2 checkpoints.

4E: works and is really nice.

1S2E: yea the stylechange is really weird... if you have problems changing it just tell me and i cna do it for you.

1N3E: It takes really long when you try to go from north after you have finished the room, just to pass through... perhaps you want to change that.

1N1E: same problem
1S3E: same problem

3N2E: checkpoint needed. Those rooms are really nice... the probelm is just that the solution normally doesnt requie a special combination of moves, but just running to the next alcove and killing away the roaches there.

And i cant solve the roaches in the westnorthern corner.

2N2E: Cant solve the roomevery help welcomed.
1S2E: Cant solve that one either.

Level in total is really nice, although it is always the same basicly, i really like it so far. I was able to finish all rooms apart fromteh three mentioned above, some were really easy some f*** hard, but yea thats the way it should be. JUST ADD CHECKPOINTS!!!!!

ok... i will write about the next level later

05-20-2006 at 03:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Geiler Hengst
Ok... IPlayed through parts of the other rooms... and I have to admit this is probably the best and funnest holds if have ever seen. Geniuos rooms od all difficulties and in addition severall brand new unique ideas.

THe problem is it is so big and hard that it might take ages to perfectise it, as there are still some although definitly just minor bugs and even unindentet solutions...

I recommened you considering publishing this hold in a beta version for a nice group of testers, this would make the workby far easier and probably faster than putting everythign together in one post...

great work!!!
05-20-2006 at 07:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Geiler Hengst
I foudn some rooms which are quite likely to be impossible in level1:

3N2E Northnwestern corner seems to be impoosible
2N2E I guess there might be a solution i simply cant find it.

Level2 is really nice but has severall impossible rooms (were i can show that they are impossible (not just i am too dump to do them. :-)

2N There is one place on the right side where 3 "ways" end. Therefore you have to finish your path there in order to drop all trapdoors. When you finish there you are of yourse trapped and thats it.

1N1E When I try to kill the northern most orb there is no way to kill the roach before it kills me. The only way i can think of is to lure the roach queen in there, which seems impossible. Apart from that i have no idea whatsoever!

2S: pretty sure that doesnt work. It is impossible to enter the orb chamber twice, but thats what one needs to do.

Apart from that GREAT!!!! rooms (even those which are impossible yet, seem to be really fun and genious!) especially level2 1S was awesome!

05-21-2006 at 12:51 AM
Dali
Ok I saw that some rooms seems impossible for you 2 guys, but I can complete them :P

First Level 2N2E:
Click here to view the secret text

First Level 1S2E:

First Level 3N2E:

Geiler you told that there are some impossible rooms in the 2nd Level, I'm going to check them later.
Some modifications:

-Added some tunnels, in order to pass a room to another easily.
-Added Checkpoints.
-Fixed the "3 ways" of 2nd level 2N.
I'm also going to replay all 2nd Level, to see where are the impossible rooms.

The hold is now updated.

05-21-2006 at 07:57 AM
Geiler Hengst
i solved 1s2e earlier, that was fine. Still having problems with 3n2e. Cn you tell me in which way you strike the orb in the northwestern corner and what you do after that?

I will try 2n2e again but i am actually pretty sure that I wont be able to make to the north in time. befoer those little creatures kill me... but i will give it a try :-) any tipps on in which position to strike the orb?
05-21-2006 at 09:32 AM
Geiler Hengst
and i just downloaded the new version.... the three way in 2n seems not to be deleted.... :-(
05-21-2006 at 09:39 AM
Dali
3N2E:
Strike orb south. Then:

Make sure you striked the orb located in the right side.

1st level 2N2E: Strike orb when beethro is in West. after go there.
2nd level 2N: Ouch. Fixed now.
I'll update later.
Tell me, can you edit the hold?

05-21-2006 at 10:26 AM
Geiler Hengst
Hihi...

what do you mean with 1 and 2? I am still not able to solve the two rooms in level1.

I am right now at level3 as i cant advance in level2. So far everything is quite fine except some more impossible situations.

1N1W: This room is not impossible but nearly due to a funny reason. The basic strategy is clear, the remaining problem is to get all the eyes into the arrows. The problem is that all monster move in the order in which they were placed, which means that you have to put in the eyes in more or less exactly the reverse order as otherwise the eye nearer to you (already in the arrows) moves earlier and blocks the second eye from going in. Easiest to solve that problem is to give the player a hint in which order he should clear the chambers. Apart from that i have still problem with the first eye in the second chamber from the left.

3N: I am pretty sure the situation in the southeastern corner and another one in the middle is impossible... I even tried it with the ww but that is still impossible.

More later :-)

05-21-2006 at 10:43 AM
vAmpir
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 27
Before you update the hold, just to say that the secret room 2n1e is also impossible. The SE roach can't be killed.

The level one is one of the most interesting "roachy " levels I ever played. Well balanced difficulty. More comments when I finish the hold.
05-21-2006 at 10:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Geiler Hengst
2n1e is not a secret room and can be done, i did all rooms in level1 apart from 2n2e and 3n2e which i believe to be impossible.

Here are my comments for level3, great rooms but some minor and major bugs.

1N2W: Nice level, but: there is no way at all to go through this room when coming from the south, which is bad :-) and definitly a checkpoint is missing

2W: Pure Pain in the a**, people will hate you for this level, it is just trial an error and the room isnt that much fun that people like to do it ten times!

1N1W: The problem with getting the eyes in is solved... just run around the hole thingy once n dit is done. Still there are two of the 9 evil eyes were i am pretty sure it is impossible to get them out without getting killed. (one in the third and one in the second chamber from the right)

2N1W: Nice room and nice use of scripting but impossible, the leftest roach queen is 100% unkillable!

2E: Great Puzzle, but a big pain due to the lack of checkpoints, i didnt totally solve it (got it until the last eye when i made a mistake and didnt want to replay the whole room)

05-21-2006 at 02:01 PM
vAmpir
Sorry, I mean Second Level 2N1E and it is secret and impossible.

In Level One: 2N2E and 3N2E are possible for sure I solve them, and seems that 3N2E is my favorite in level 1.

Edit: just found that L2 1S2E is also impossible: it is not possible to leave the tunnel net.

[Last edited by vAmpir at 05-21-2006 02:20 PM]
05-21-2006 at 02:16 PM
Geiler Hengst
how do you solve the northwestern corner in 3N2e... the rest is no problem and a great level. A tip on 2n2e would be welcomed as well. :-)
05-21-2006 at 03:01 PM
vAmpir
Geiler Hengst wrote:
how do you solve the northwestern corner in 3N2e... the rest is no problem and a great level. A tip on 2n2e would be welcomed as well. :-)

Small tips:
3N2E

and for 2N2E:

If these don't help I'll send you a demo.

05-21-2006 at 04:28 PM
Dali
3rd 1N 1W: I admit it's impossible. Some eyes won't follow you. Replay it later.
3rd 3N: The room is possible. Sure. Just to kill the snake is impossible. fixed.
3rd 2W: Before saying this (pain in whatever), you propably didn't see that it's possible to find the solution from the 1st time.
3rd 2N 1W: You're right, the queens are unkillable. Fixed.
3rd 2E: You can't use unlimited 'undo' from the Build option???? Can you at least edit the hold? Added checkpoints.
2nd 1S 2E: Fixed.

Hope I fixed most of problems now. I'm sure there still lot of problems.

The hold is now updated.

05-21-2006 at 04:51 PM
Geiler Hengst
sure i can use unlimited undo in the map editor, but i dont like testing maps in the map editor as you oversee problems as unaccessable rooms from some directions easyly.

sorry for the pain in the whatever, wasnt meant that way :-)

I will work on level3 3N... i have no idea how but if you say it works i will trust u :-)
05-21-2006 at 05:46 PM
Geiler Hengst
and i finally solved level1, thanks for all the tips :-)
05-21-2006 at 05:51 PM
vAmpir
Level2 ...

1N1E When I try to kill the northern most orb there is no way to kill the roach before it kills me. The only way i can think of is to lure the roach queen in there, which seems impossible. Apart from that i have no idea whatsoever!

I don't see how this can be solved too.

All of the impossible rooms are fixed I think.
05-21-2006 at 07:31 PM
Geiler Hengst
level5 (i just do every second, no idea why :-)

Great rooms, but quite many bigger and smaller erros:

2N3e: Not an error but probably an unintended solution. The first bomb is useless (yea its cooler to kill the goblin with the bomb but i tmakes no difference)

3n3e: Probably this is supposed to be a secret room (it is not marked as one). Still it is not solveable as the orbs arnt working right (two of them are doing the same...)

2n1e: UNINTENDED SOLUTION (put the mimic in the middle of the maze and its just too easy

thats it fornow

05-21-2006 at 10:24 PM
Dali
I didn't understand the problem of the 1st bomb. You can kill the goblin without the bomb?

05-22-2006 at 07:31 PM
vAmpir
Dali. I still don't have response fore L2 1N1E. I think the room is impossible (apart from all other rooms in L2 which I proved to be solvable) and if it is solvable a small hint may help me. I am reviewing the hold seriosly and consequently and I will not focus on L5, for example, before the first levels are fixed. This is not a complain I just explaining my way to test a hold. Your hold has its own chronology and this have to be understood from the players.
05-22-2006 at 08:49 PM
Geiler Hengst
You can let the bomb explode first no matter were the goblin is. then kill the goblin.

@vampire: I was thinking of letting you test level 2 and 4 and so on, so i started with the odd numbers. Level1 is all right and in level 3 i was stuck in 2 rooms rght at the beginning so i thought i give dali timefirst to repair those. But yea continuity is normally preferable :-)
05-22-2006 at 09:52 PM
vAmpir
Geiler Hengst wrote:
You can let the bomb explode first no matter were the goblin is. then kill the goblin.

@vampire: I was thinking of letting you test level 2 and 4 and so on, so i started with the odd numbers. Level1 is all right and in level 3 i was stuck in 2 rooms rght at the beginning so i thought i give dali timefirst to repair those. But yea continuity is normally preferable :-)

OK, this is a great idea I will start now with Level 4. As I already said all the rooms in L2 are OK instead of the one mentioned above. Unfortunately, I have to admit the Central European Time :) and I have to get some rest now. The first comments will come after sveral hours. Bis bald ;)
05-22-2006 at 11:08 PM
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3623
Uh, just want to be *absolutely* sure I know where to find this hold, and that its location is secure before downloading and testing...

Sounds rather good from the previous descriptions though :)

05-23-2006 at 12:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dali
Erm...okay, sorry Vampir for Level 2 1N1E. I'll propably modify completely this room, because it's quite hard to arrange it. I admit it's impossible.
Before you test the 4th level, here are the rooms that I'm not sure they're possible: 3W, 2S3W, 2S2W.
5th Level 2n3e: :selftwak Of course. Fixed.

05-24-2006 at 05:32 PM
vAmpir
Hi Dali, I just finished the Fourth Level and first to say that only one room is impossible. Here my comments:

Level 2:
Level 4 in the next post

[Last edited by vAmpir at 05-24-2006 11:06 PM]
05-24-2006 at 11:06 PM
vAmpir
Level 4
I HATE GOLEMS!

Now, as we decided with Geiler I will try L6

05-24-2006 at 11:41 PM
Dali
vAmpir, I made some modifications, go check. You did a great work thanks. Before playing the 6th level please download 1st the updated version.
The hold is updated.

06-05-2006 at 09:25 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Beta testers wanted (finnally done...)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com