Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Another idea for an Adder.
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Ezlo
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1214
IP: Logged
icon Another idea for an Adder. (+1)  
Or a cobra, or another snake idea.

Ok, it looks just like a standard snake, except it's green or something. The snake also acts like a normal snake. The difference is that once it hits a dead end, it's immediatly dead. It doesn't shrink, it doesn't disappear, it just gets X's over it's eyes and stays there.I think that would be interesting because you would have to kill it in a way that doesn't trap you, or kill it to make a wall that you need to manipulate other monsters off of.

What do you think?
09-04-2006 at 02:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Another idea for an Adder. (0)  
So, it's sort of a golem-snake?

09-04-2006 at 02:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Yeah! That would make sense! Why didn't I think of that!
09-04-2006 at 02:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
And, like the golems, the corpse would disappear when you left the room, right?

09-04-2006 at 03:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Right.
09-04-2006 at 04:02 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
Another Adder Puzzle:

There is area seperated from Beethro's area by a pit. Beethro must manipulate a free Adder into a dead end in such a way that its body must create a dead end.

Then Beethro strikes an orb that shuts the existing dead end and releases a bunch of snakes, that all must die in the dead end.

09-04-2006 at 04:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: Another idea for an Adder. (+1)  
Snake movement + corpse = frustrating amount of tries to get snake to die in exactly the right place.
No thanks.

09-04-2006 at 10:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
Like any idea, it can be made very frustrating and annoying. Like any idea, it can be used well.

09-04-2006 at 11:58 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
I'd like to see a "used well" for a monster that kills Beethro upon moving (turning or stepping) in a room, and can't be placed within three spaces from any edge of the room.

09-05-2006 at 12:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
Kevin_P86 wrote:
Like any idea, it can be used well.
That's an overstatement, I think. I believe there are lots of ideas that can't be used well. Also, when added to:
Like any idea, it can be made very frustrating and annoying.
you get an argument both for and against every feature request. I'm not sure how to proceed constructively with a discussion proceeding from this point.

++Adam H. Peterson
09-05-2006 at 12:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kevin_P86
The point of my comment was to suggest that saying any given idea can be used poorly, or saying that any given idea can be used well is completely irrelevant because that is the case for every possible idea.

09-05-2006 at 12:55 AM
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
Kevin_P86 wrote:
The point of my comment was to suggest that saying any given idea can be used poorly, or saying that any given idea can be used well is completely irrelevant because that is the case for every possible idea.
I don't think it is irrelevant, though. I think that's sort of one of the few things that you can actually discuss for a feature request: your evaluation of some of the likely uses of an idea. Otherwise, how will anyone become convinced that an idea is good or bad for the game?

Additionally, I mentioned that I believe there are some ideas that actually can't be used well. That seemed to be the thrust of zex's post, too.

++Adam H. Peterson
09-05-2006 at 01:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
You can already sort of do this with rattlesnakes. One advantage to golem-adders is that you wouldn't have to kill them later and you would also not be able to trim the corpse.

Jatopian wrote:
Snake movement + corpse = frustrating amount of tries to get snake to die in exactly the right place.
No thanks.

It's no different from getting any snake to die in exactly the right place. Beethro's Teacher : Fifth Level : 1 South is an example where this is already required. It's not too hard if you understand how snakes work.

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 09-05-2006 02:04 AM]
09-05-2006 at 01:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
zex20913 wrote:
I'd like to see a "used well" for a monster that kills Beethro upon moving (turning or stepping) in a room, and can't be placed within three spaces from any edge of the room.

Forced mimic/decoy placement :P
09-05-2006 at 02:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
I think the real problem is that any use of this monster will require fiddleing. Perhaps if its movement structure was simplified so that it was easier to control. (like having it make a simple beeline to beethro)

And how will it work with brains? would it simply avoid trapping itself, or something else?
09-05-2006 at 10:34 AM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1306
Kevin_P86 wrote:
Like any idea, it can be used well.
*Cough* Ray gun *Cough*
09-08-2006 at 10:30 PM
Kevin_P86
There's no reason you couldn't design a good room in which Beethro has a raygun.

09-08-2006 at 10:49 PM
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
Kevin_P86 wrote:
There's no reason you couldn't design a good room in which Beethro has a raygun.

A raygun in a 'golems in a bomb maze' room would be positively horrific, assuming it fires automatically in a straight line with unlimited range...

09-10-2006 at 07:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kevin_P86
Beef Row wrote:
Kevin_P86 wrote:

A raygun in a 'golems in a bomb maze' room would be positively horrific, assuming it fires automatically in a straight line with unlimited range...

Indeed - that is arguably an example of a bad use for the raygun idea.

09-10-2006 at 08:05 AM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Kevin_P86 wrote:

There is, in fact, insofar as rayguns are so alien to the world of the Eighth and so different from any other puzzle element in the game, and thus the mere presence of one in a room would make it a bad room.
09-10-2006 at 08:18 AM
Kevin_P86
It's automatically a bad room simply because all of it's components do not have a consistent time-period and/or locale...?

09-10-2006 at 09:30 AM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Kevin_P86 wrote:
It's automatically a bad room simply because all of it's components do not have a consistent time-period and/or locale...?

Yes. (Hey, I'm allowed to be opinionated and dogmatic, right?)
09-10-2006 at 05:19 PM
AtkinsSJ
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 107
That wouldn't be a bad room; it would be a poorly-designed game. After all, the room is only designed and built using in-game components.
09-15-2006 at 09:26 PM
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
at the risk of tooting my own horn, I made this suggestion several months ago, but I think mine would work better/be more interesting.

09-15-2006 at 10:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Another idea for an Adder.
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com