Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : The hive (A group of monsters that sleep until you awake one of them)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
apethedog
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 16
IP: Logged
icon The hive (+1)  
They're all asleep, meaning you can use them to your advantage (as walls, basically), until you hit one of them with your sword, after which they all wake up and charge you. Perhaps they use the roach-algorithm. Maybe another kind.

Strategic possibilities with this include:
* walls you can't touch with your sword
* having to devise the perfect time to wake the monsters up, so as to have them, for example, block a snake
* lots more, I'm sure.

They could be insects, they could also be statues or gargoyles. The insect thing is inspired by how they'll all simultaneously wake up when you hit one of them. The gargoyle/statue thing on how they act as walls. Eh... they could also be three-headed yellow martians, I guess (though that wouldn't particularily fit into the setting). Anything. I just wanted to share this idea and hope it can inspire someone.
09-01-2006 at 12:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3626
icon Re: The hive (0)  
You can do that with scripting.

Sorry, I had to say it. It'd be a bit more complicated if there were other monsters in the room, of course, but anyway.

What if there were three of these monsters, and a fourth one inside an arrow maze? You'd have to figure out which spot you'd want to start at in addition to leading the monster in the maze out.

It's an intriguing idea, but I'm worried about how many puzzles you'd be able to make with it.

[Last edited by Chaco at 09-01-2006 12:37 AM]
09-01-2006 at 12:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
I'm fairly sure this is doable with scripting, especially the "they all wake up and charge you" (turn into monster). I think there's a 'on being hit by sword' command of some sort, and if not, we've got ourselves a TCB suggestion there.

09-01-2006 at 12:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
No there isn't - there's only Wait While NPC At. Dying stops the script.

09-01-2006 at 12:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Chaco wrote:
No there isn't - there's only Wait While NPC At. Dying stops the script.
Hmm. Then how would you do it? I can only think of coding for all the possible orientations of Beethro stabbing each hive member, which is ridiculously complex to script.

09-01-2006 at 01:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Well, if there aren't any other monsters in the room, you just do a simple Wait for event Monster Stabbed. Otherwise, you need to do a loop like so:

Label BigLoop
If... go to "Be a monster"
Wait while NPC is at (first Hive monster location)
If... go to "Be a monster"
Wait while NPC is at (second Hive monster location)
...and so on...
Wait 1 Turn
Go To Big Loop

09-01-2006 at 01:07 AM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
There are quite a few squares in the DROD environs. I don't want to have to code that 300 times, for a room with 1/3 of these NPC monsters.

That said, I feel that this is able to be done with orb or bomb mazes, for the most part. There isn't the desired "attack!" phase, but the idea is already the same.

09-01-2006 at 03:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Note I said "you can do it with scripting" - not "you can do it easily with scripting".

However, most puzzles using this would probably only have two to ten of these, where the big loop wouldn't be quite so big, but would still be formidable.

[Last edited by Chaco at 09-01-2006 03:41 AM]
09-01-2006 at 03:41 AM
AtkinsSJ
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 107
Well, I think it's a good idea, anyway.
09-01-2006 at 01:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
apethedog
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 16
icon Re: The hive (+1)  
I didn't know about the scripting. I haven't begun making any holds of my own yet. I still haven't finished my journey into the rooted one yet (it has been many, many years ago since I finished DROD. I actually finished it in its original webfoot version. I only recently aquired DROD:JtRH)

One thing that could be done with these monsters is set up a sequence where you have to kill a set of monsters swarming you - as is often done with roaches - but with the added tactical difficulty of having to select which monster you start with. Right now, the roaches always start swarming you from the first move you make into the room, and always in the same direction. With these monsters, you would have to select which way to tackle the pack from.

They could be represented by a insectoid egg when in their hibernating stage, and an insect-like, em... insect, when awake.

Anyway, this is just the result of me brainstorming about a monster. I'm not serious about having this added to the game. I think it's hard to come up with any good creature designs, as pretty much everything has already been done.
09-01-2006 at 05:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
I for one actually like it. The hell with "you can do it with scripting"--it'd be unpleasant for the architect and unpredictable for the player. And I think it does indeed have good horde-management potential.
09-01-2006 at 07:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
I just thought of an addendum for this feature request. MULTIPLE hive-type enemies. That is, not only one "swarm when hit" per room, but many possible types. These could be color coordinated (and should) so the player knows which ones will wake.

Some puzzles I see with these elements (which must all be killed for a green wall to fall) include alcoves that break down, mazes that must be tackled in a certain order, and some timing puzzles that Doom and Larrymurk could contrive in order to make the rest of us go completely bald from tearing out the rest of our collective hair.

There should (IMO) be a maximum number of such enemies--10 or 15, say, because after that, the marginal puzzle enhancement (MPE) decreases very rapidly.

So yes, more work, and possible with scripting, but difficult to achieve and view. Also, a niche that is nonfilled in DROD.

09-02-2006 at 02:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Niccus
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 308
icon Re: The hive (+1)  
Something tells me this might just boil down to a character script like "Wait until event... NPC is stabbed" or even "Wait until NPC is stabbed at..." The rest should be doable with "Wait while NPC is..."

EDIT:

Actually, this is already doable, there's just a one-move delay... "Wait for Event... Monster Stabbed" does count in characters.

[Last edited by Niccus at 09-02-2006 03:02 AM]
09-02-2006 at 03:00 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
well while your at it, why don't you add a 'trigger' monster, and only if that monster is activated does his hord become acivated, thus creating puzzles that have you trying to hollow out a group of monsters, untill you have no choice but to hit a trigger monster.
09-04-2006 at 01:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : The hive (A group of monsters that sleep until you awake one of them)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com