Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Need some help with scripting (Kinda an odd request, maybe...)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Hikari
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 438
IP: Logged
icon Need some help with scripting (0)  
So, I've got this character in my hold-in-progress who's of questionable sanity. I've got a room where I want to have him run *backwards* around a corner. I can't seem to figure out how to do this without having to have my character stand still to turn, though. Is there any way to pull this off?

08-31-2006 at 03:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Niccus
Rank Points: 308
icon Re: Need some help with scripting (0)  
I don't think so.

I'd consider the alternative of working that turning thing into his story though.

There's also the not-so-smooth chain of NPCs appearing and disappearing.
08-31-2006 at 04:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3640
icon Re: Need some help with scripting (+1)  
Use "forbid turning" for that - the NPC faces Southwest and can then move in any direction, including NE.

However, there's no way to make the NPC run backwards smoothly - you need to spend turns reorienting it at corners and then making it run (or zigzag ;) ) backwards through the hallways.

[Last edited by Chaco at 08-31-2006 04:10 AM]
08-31-2006 at 04:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Hikari
hmm... I'm actually a *little* surprised that you can't make a character do odd things like that, orientation-wise.

Oh well, maybe in TCB...

In any case, I think I can see a good way to do spin-in-place as part of the character's story stuff, so I can work with that.

[Last edited by Hikari at 08-31-2006 04:18 AM]
08-31-2006 at 04:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Chaco
Don't forget about ramming into walls repeatedly and running in circles. :)

08-31-2006 at 04:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5106
Hikari wrote:
hmm... I'm actually a *little* surprised that you can't make a character do odd things like that, orientation-wise.
I don't understand what you're saying can't be done. Running backwards? It's correct that "forbid turning" should handle this if you put some Face Direction commands at the turns. What else would you like to see happen?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
08-31-2006 at 04:52 AM
Chaco
icon Re: Need some help with scripting (+1)  
I think Hikari means, running to a location like normal, except the character always faces *the other direction* to the one they're moving. Here's an example:
..W...W
..W...W
WAW...W
.N....W
......W
......W
WWWWWWW

N is Hikari's NPC that's running backwards, around the corner. Beethro waits a turn, and the NPC runs east:
..W...W
..W...W
WAW...W
..N...W
......W
......W
WWWWWWW

The NPC should be facing West at this point. Beethro waits another turn, and the NPC rounds the bend:
..W...W
..W...W
WAWN..W
......W
......W
......W
WWWWWWW

The character should be facing Southwest. Finally, it moves N:
..W...W
..WN..W
WAW...W
......W
......W
......W
WWWWWWW

...and faces South, continuing to run down the passageway.

This is impossible because the NPC can't turn and move(forbid turning) in the same move - however, it can move normally and face a different direction while doing so in the same turn.

[Last edited by Chaco at 08-31-2006 05:13 AM]
08-31-2006 at 05:12 AM
Hikari
Heeeeey, Chaco knows exactly what I'm getting at!

I ended up just having the character run into the wall, spin around a couple times, then take off in another direction. But I *would* like the option to do like Chaco's talking about, as not every time I use the character is going to have walls available, and it would be a sad thing for the character to have to run off the edge of a platform because he couldn't turn.

08-31-2006 at 06:45 AM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5106
Hikari wrote:
Heeeeey, Chaco knows exactly what I'm getting at!

I ended up just having the character run into the wall, spin around a couple times, then take off in another direction. But I *would* like the option to do like Chaco's talking about, as not every time I use the character is going to have walls available, and it would be a sad thing for the character to have to run off the edge of a platform because he couldn't turn.
Ehh...Okay, I get it. I really doubt this will be added to TCB. -_-

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 08-31-2006 05:25 PM]
08-31-2006 at 05:25 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: Need some help with scripting (+3)  
mrimer wrote:
Hikari wrote:
Ehh...Okay, I get it. I really doubt this will be added to TCB. -_-
If we have custom character images, we could make a character that looks just like the forward-facing one, but with the images flipped (the SE-facing image would be switched with the NW-facing, etc.).
I hope that makes sense.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 09-01-2006 12:28 AM : fixed quote tags... really this time]
09-01-2006 at 12:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Yes, but then the character could *only* run backwards. However, facing in certain directions and acting normally (in place) could then work if you used the opposite than-normal directions.

09-01-2006 at 12:34 AM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Chaco wrote:
Yes, but then the character could *only* run backwards. However, facing in certain directions and acting normally (in place) could then work if you used the opposite than-normal directions.
That is why he could be replaced temporarily by (or be a temporary replacement for) the normal character. Of course, what you say would work somewhat also.
I was actually going to specify that in my previous post, but I thought it would be insulting to people's intelligence.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 09-01-2006 12:47 AM]
09-01-2006 at 12:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Jatopian wrote:
I was actually going to specify that in my previous post, but I thought it would be insulting to people's intelligence.

Your /mom/ would be insulting to people's intelligence.
do you see what I did there, that was awesome

Anyway: Being able to run backwards is cool, but....how often is anyone going to use it?
09-01-2006 at 08:48 AM
Hikari
Banjooie wrote:
Being able to run backwards is cool, but....how often is anyone going to use it?

I can think of a few applications involving guards/mimics/Slayers that might be interesting... not so much for moving *backwards*, as that would be kinda pointless, but for moving normally but with an odd directional facing.

Backwards movement would just be a side effect of being able to have guards backswipe around corners ;)

09-01-2006 at 09:15 AM
Niccus
Rank Points: 308
Hikari wrote:
Banjooie wrote:
Being able to run backwards is cool, but....how often is anyone going to use it?

I can think of a few applications involving guards/mimics/Slayers that might be interesting... not so much for moving *backwards*, as that would be kinda pointless, but for moving normally but with an odd directional facing.

Backwards movement would just be a side effect of being able to have guards backswipe around corners ;)

I don't think backwards movement with turning would do anything in terms of swiping... won't your sword just be where you previously are? It's unusable except for aesthetics, I think.
09-01-2006 at 11:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Zig-zagging backwards would cause 2-wide corridors to be extremely deadly.

09-01-2006 at 11:41 PM
Hikari
Niccus wrote:
Hikari wrote:
Banjooie wrote:

I don't think backwards movement with turning would do anything in terms of swiping... won't your sword just be where you previously are? It's unusable except for aesthetics, I think.

You're reading backwards. I said that being able to move backwards was a side effect of being able to get guards to backswipe, not the other way around. I'm now suggesting being able to set a character to move-with-turning in any of the eight possible orientations, rather than just in one. Backwards just happens to be one of those eight.

09-02-2006 at 05:55 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Need some help with scripting (Kinda an odd request, maybe...)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com