Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The Labyrinth of Mellenfral (Another unoffical contest to have fun with)
Page 1 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Ezlo
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1214
IP: Logged
icon The Labyrinth of Mellenfral (+6)  
STORY

It was happening again. Mellenfral, the city famous for it's artists and scientists, was under attack. This time raiders all the way from Gronce heard about the easy pickings and came over to see. What they saw was a city on a peninsula full of the most defenseles, richest people in all of Ephelna. So, like the intelligent raiders they were, they attacked. Now, Mellenfral, as you all know, is home to Mellenfral College. And Mellenfral College, as you all know, is home to the original copy of the Master Map of the Eighth, one of the most valuble artifacts of all time! It had been stolen and returned enough times, so the Professors of Mellenfral College had made a plan. They would build a labyrinth in the basement of the college, and they would hide the Master Map inside. So, while the raiders were raiding the town, Professor Dinglehopper hired the resident Architects to build a labyrinth for them.

RULES

The object of this contest, believe it or not, is to build a maze. The object of the maze is not to be fiendishly difficult, but to be fun.

1. The maze can have as many rooms/floors/monsters as you want. Just make sure that it's completeable.

2. You can use scripting in whatever way pleases you.

3. Submissions go in submission topic. Voting will go in voting topic.

4. Contest ends in negative 919 weeks, 1 day (This is a special tag that will update the time until contest ends.)

5. Go wild!

6. Prizes are rank points again. 1st 50 points. 2nd 30 points. 3rd 15 points.

7. I would also like to have people who will try the contest to say so, it won't be mandatory, but I want to know how many are going to play.

IDEAS
I'm imagining Indiana Jones style traps, and clues on how to reach the hidden exit! Or secret rooms with the map inside! But anything goes really. You could create a boring wall and floor maze. Or be evil and create a staircase maze. Or maybe combine the two and have a three-dimensional maze! But unless you add puzzles to it, it won't be fun. So watch out.

[Last edited by Ezlo at 08-23-2006 07:07 PM]
08-23-2006 at 06:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lst6
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 211
icon Re: The Labyrinth of Mellenfral (0)  
Nice idea Ezlo! And I just love mazes so this is my contest! I'm going to start right away
Note: Here, have some rankpoints for your Idea!!!

Things related to the Bar:
Click here to view the secret text

Working on: NOTHING
Accomplishments i'm proud of:
-Solving the bar riddle
08-23-2006 at 07:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
Wow, that is a good idea. In fact, I do think I'll enter this one. Just let me come up with some ideas.

08-23-2006 at 07:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Neather2
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 406
I have a ready maze hour made with the drod ae, but I do not know like inserting it, suggestions?

Conspiracy, my new hold, has just been released.
08-23-2006 at 07:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
This is a really cool idea - I'll try to participate though I'm not promising I will.

08-23-2006 at 07:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
tokyokid
Rank Points: 453
Nice idea Ezlo! I'll enter it no matter what!!
08-23-2006 at 07:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Neather2
i play, but not sure, I have need of information in order to save for you my easy maze….

08-23-2006 at 07:59 PM
Hikari
Rank Points: 438
Ohhh... This sounds fun... I just wish I had a good handle on how to make DROD puzzles yet ^^;; I'm pretty sure I'll be entering, of course.

What is it that you need to know, Neather2? I might be able to help you out...

...hey, can I preemptively call building the compilation hold? I've got a reasonably good idea in mind for how to do the story around it and everything.

[Last edited by Hikari at 08-23-2006 09:24 PM]
08-23-2006 at 08:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Neather2
I would have need of knowing as I become part the hold, type king dugan's Dungeon only that e' mine… aid!

08-23-2006 at 09:58 PM
Ezlo
Hikari wrote:
...hey, can I preemptively call building the compilation hold? I've got a reasonably good idea in mind for how to do the story around it and everything.

Actually, this contest came about from me trying to build a hold to show-off my inventory system with more than one key, but then I thought about how I could turn it into a contest, so I already have a bunch of the compilation already built.

And Neather2, are you asking about how to build a hold? Or how to give the hold to us?
08-23-2006 at 10:12 PM
Neather2
like giving the grip you…

08-23-2006 at 10:15 PM
Ezlo
Okay, you finish the hold you are making. Then you go to the main menu. Click the "Where" button. Then, click on your hold, then click the "Export" button. Then you put the hold somewhere on your computer where you can find it again. Then you attach it to a post in the submission topic I will make in a week. Does that make sense?
08-23-2006 at 10:19 PM
Hikari
Ezlo wrote:
Actually, this contest came about from me trying to build a hold to show-off my inventory system with more than one key, but then I thought about how I could turn it into a contest, so I already have a bunch of the compilation already built.

Hmm. In that case, can you post the compilation-less compilation hold so that we know what the in-game story we're fitting our holds into is? It'd be nice to make sure everyone's got their storys straight on this one. For example, why Beethro is there ;)

[Last edited by Hikari at 08-23-2006 11:49 PM : Broke a BBcode >_<]
08-23-2006 at 11:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
tokyokid
I could do a compilation for this if anyone wants.
08-23-2006 at 11:48 PM
Chaco
Drat! :P

I already came up with a simple excuse - Beethro is testing the labyrinth as a single, determined raider with a really big sword. If the intelligent and well-equipped Beethro Budkin cannot get to the map, what hope has a party of disorganised raiders?

[Last edited by Chaco at 08-23-2006 11:54 PM]
08-23-2006 at 11:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
tokyokid
Chaco wrote:

Well, you beat me to the Technology one, so here's my revenge. ;)
08-23-2006 at 11:57 PM
Hikari
Chaco wrote:

I already came up with a simple excuse - Beethro is testing the labyrinth as a single, determined raider with a really big sword. If the intelligent and well-equipped Beethro Budkin cannot get to the map, what hope has a party of disorganised raiders?

I took what the thread here says, and decided Beethro's in there because of a promise of greckles when he escapes. Professor Dinglehopper *does* have the university's budget at his disposal...

08-23-2006 at 11:58 PM
tokyokid
How about: They tell Beethro to test the traps and see if he survives.
I could somehow merge all of the labyrintths into one. ;)
08-24-2006 at 12:01 AM
Chaco
Yeah, but this one might actually make it to the holds board.

My hold has two levels - one being a really pretty big maze with traps, and another being slightly less of a maze but with really long and twisty passages, but puzzles too.

08-24-2006 at 12:05 AM
Ezlo
Well, the way I'm planning the compilation, Beethro is called to get the map out again after the war is over and the city is reclaimed. The compilation hold will have a very simple dungeon with locked doors to get to the map, you need to finish the entries to get the keys to unlock them.
08-24-2006 at 12:17 AM
Chaco
Ah, yeah. Of course. :P

08-24-2006 at 12:52 AM
tokyokid
Ezlo wrote:
Well, the way I'm planning the compilation, Beethro is called to get the map out again after the war is over and the city is reclaimed. The compilation hold will have a very simple dungeon with locked doors to get to the map, you need to finish the entries to get the keys to unlock them.
Sounds good too me. I guess I'll never get to make a compilation... :lol
08-24-2006 at 12:56 AM
Chaco
You'll just have to wait for next unofficial DROD-based contest :)

08-24-2006 at 12:57 AM
UrAvgAzn
Rank Points: 468
Wow! What a coincidence! I started a maze a few weeks ago and it's.. Crazy. Crazy meaning hard. I'm not planning on submitting it to the holds board or this contest (great idea Ezlo, by the way), it'd just be way too boring. I draw mazes in my spare time, and I decided to take my talent and convert one to DROD. I'll be publicly releasing hold in a week(ish).

On topic, I love the contest idea. I haven't entered many contests before, so I'm not that sure if I should enter... I'm not that experienced at building puzzles, so maybe not.

Keep posting,

08-24-2006 at 01:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Cool! I'd like to see it when it's done!
08-24-2006 at 01:30 AM
Hikari
tokyokid wrote:
Sounds good too me. I guess I'll never get to make a compilation... :lol
:points at Architecture board: What do you call that one, then? ;)

Is it bad that I think my maze is going to end up actually being like five or six mazes in one? O:-

08-24-2006 at 02:15 AM
Ezlo
Hikari wrote:
Is it bad that I think my maze is going to end up actually being like five or six mazes in one? O:-

I don't think so.
08-24-2006 at 02:31 AM
Hikari
Cool... I'm glad you're giving us two weeks on this, I think I might need a lot of that. Or I might not. Depends on how much time I can put into this.

08-24-2006 at 03:11 AM
Niccus
Rank Points: 308
I'm probably shooting off all of my toes individually here:

Is the help of a program allowed for the creation of mazes?
08-24-2006 at 04:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Neather2
you excuse to me, my PC does not take to my maze… suggestions? what I must make…

08-24-2006 at 06:38 AM
Page 1 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The Labyrinth of Mellenfral (Another unoffical contest to have fun with)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com