Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Snakes! ...to the Death (Our Contest for August.)
<<27282930
Page 31 of 32
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
IP: Logged
icon Re: Snakes! ...to the Death (0)  
Rabscuttle wrote:
garg! I forgot to enter moves! :selftwak
:(

I mean, good for me, but if I now go slither and win this thing (which I think is highly unlikely, but hey), it would seem a bit unfair. Like winning a test of skill by pure luck. (Not that there's no luck involved in this game anyway, but you know what I mean). Actually, this is the second time someone accidentally* commits suicide to save me from certain imminent death.

Still not particularly safe, of course. The path to continued survival is long and twisted.

- Gerry

* I'm assuming Someone Else forgot to enter moves back then, too.
09-12-2006 at 09:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
michthro
Level: Smitemaestro
Rank Points: 679
icon Re: Snakes! ...to the Death (+2)  
trick wrote:
Actually, this is the second time someone accidentally* commits suicide to save me from certain imminent death.
These shock suicides by everyone who comes into contact with trick are scaring me. Definitely some sort of voodoo involved. Next thing he's going to make me leave my area so he can kill me. I'm feeling the pull already..
09-12-2006 at 09:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3626
Looks like I'm dead in 7 turns, due to planning that did not work out the way I thought it did. Oh, well.

It was a good run, guys. And I outlasted quite a lot of people. :)

[Last edited by Chaco at 09-12-2006 07:53 PM]
09-12-2006 at 07:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
trick wrote:
* I'm assuming Someone Else forgot to enter moves back then, too.

He didn't realize he could save himself. His reaction after I told him was hilarious.
09-12-2006 at 07:54 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Hikari
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 438
Everyone in the SE corner's dead by turn 324... myself last, after directly killing everyone else.

Good game, all...

09-12-2006 at 10:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Chris
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 144
We are currently at the beginning of a 12 hour lull in the game, where nobody is able to affect the game in any way.

The next time anyone has to make a move is trick on turn 321 in about 10.5 hours' time.
09-13-2006 at 03:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mikko
Rank Points: 276
I won't finish in the top three, but I believe I will be the last one to survive in the central area. Considering that I was the second snake to enter it (a couple of moves behind Jason IIRC), that means I am the one who has spent the most time in the central are by a comfortable margin.
09-13-2006 at 11:45 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Lardarse
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 56
This is looking to be a very interesting finish... After turn 328 there will be just 5 players left, and 4 of them are very close to each other...
09-14-2006 at 06:17 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Snakes! ...to the Death (+1)  
Well, my serpent still has 30 more minutes of life but I think this is as good a time as any to wrap up my experience - I thought this contest was a lot of fun, though I would have preferred it to move faster. It worked well at its current pace for the size of the conference but in the future I'd rather play smaller games with considerably less time between moves.

I tried to play as aggressively as possible. In the beginning I made a couple of major mistakes - not in the sense that they were bad moves, but rather in the sense that I totally failed to predict their results. That was actually helpful because it made me a lot more careful in my planning later.

I think that if I would change anything in my gameplay, it would be my decision to enter the central area from the top left. I could have left it following the path Trick is taking now, and I probably would have made the top 3 if I did (though you never know, since my absence from the central area would have affected other serpents). It's not that the consequences were bad - I think I did pretty well overall - but rather that I was just following herd mentality in my quest for the center, not thinking about whether it's actually a good idea in the long run. I quickly realized it wasn't, which led to my escape attempt which was stopped by Michthro - but while that was basically the death knell on my hopes of placing in the top 3, it wasn't nearly as upsetting to me because I was happy with my decision, and I was outplayed.

Anyway, fun contest, and congratulations for the remaining top 5 serpents!

09-14-2006 at 03:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Best. Contest. Ever.

09-14-2006 at 09:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bflatjeff
Rank Points: 93
jbluestein wrote:
Best. Contest. Ever.

I'm certainly glad that I stepped up for this one, as my first contest. Just got my qualifying snake puzzle in on time. I only hope my wife wasn't too annoyed at my rather frequent checking of the snake board. I don't think she really understood the game (I haven't even gotten her hooked on DROD yet), but I think she was forgiving of my obsession, as long as I allowed her equal computer time.

Looking forward to next (this?) month's contest! :D

Jeff

09-15-2006 at 04:39 AM
Ostegolectr1c
Rank Points: 116
Trick .... Voodoo *sob*
:~(
Rabscuttle ruined my plan by dying. If trick desires to kill me, he'll doom himself too, but he'll get 3rd place. Or he'll be mercyful and decide to fight for the 2nd place.

[Last edited by Ostegolectr1c at 09-15-2006 07:22 PM]
09-15-2006 at 07:18 PM
trick
Well, I kinda feel like an ass, but I think I'll fight for the 2nd place. I mean, I can't just give up, can I ?

Now, michthro .. You like jumping, right ? I like jumping! Yeah, jumping is good! We should jump together. Come, michthro, my friend, come jump with us! It's nice over here. Room for you, too! You know you want to .. Jump, jump, jump .. (Where did I put that doll ?)

- Gerry
09-15-2006 at 09:29 PM
michthro
Hehe.. Nice try, trick. Funny thing is, I have actually been looking into the possibility of jumping, so your Voodoo tricks are working to some extent. You'll have to do better, though. I know that you'll win if I jump (assuming that you do next what I'm pretty sure you're going to do), so I'm staying right here.
09-15-2006 at 09:59 PM
trick
Would be an exciting finish to the game though, wouldn't it ? :)

Nah, feel free to stay where you are. I'm just here thanks to pure luck. I shouldn't win :)

- Gerry

[Last edited by trick at 09-15-2006 10:46 PM]
09-15-2006 at 10:16 PM
Lardarse
At this point, I think I'm abou ready to predict who the winner will be...
09-16-2006 at 03:43 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Lardarse wrote:
At this point, I think I'm abou ready to predict who the winner will be...
OH, thats a tough one...
Lemme guess. Does the person begin with M?
09-16-2006 at 03:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bflatjeff
Rank Points: 93
NiroZ wrote:
OH, thats a tough one...
Lemme guess. Does the person begin with M?

Good to know that at least I got put out of the game by the winner.

J

09-16-2006 at 04:31 AM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
Is everyone cool with their snakes and the site downtime? I'm not sure when domainsite (name hosting provider) effectively took our site down, but during the downtime the snakes continued to be updated without owners having ability to change their movement queues.

I am really, really hoping that nobody was caught out by this, because rolling back the clock is severely difficult and very unlikely. In any case, if you feel that the downtime caused significant problems for you that affect your placement in the top 3, then please feel free to describe the injustice. Probably I'd just hand out consolation rank points, unless the whole situation just went completely fubar.

-Erik

09-16-2006 at 09:59 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
trick
No worries, I'm pretty sure it's fine. There's just four of us alive now, and Chris and Ostegolectr1c didn't have any choices to make during the downtime. I had a jump decision, but I scheduled that jump before the site went down, so the jump was made. And michthro, well .. he could have jumped during the downtime, but he knows he would've lost his first place if he'd done that, so I bet he's fine with his bump. :)

Only problem I can see is that if Chris for some reason should want to jump, he's only got two hours if he didn't decide what to do already. If he really wants to die at the head of Ostegolectr1c in stead of mine he's got another opportunity coming up, though.

- Gerry
09-16-2006 at 10:28 PM
michthro
I've been planning to bump for ages, Chris and Ostegolectr1c didn't have any decisions to make, and trick's jump was a much better move than bumping, so I don't see any problem.

EDIT: trick beat me to it by a few seconds, but yeah, no worries. I'm sure Chris also knew that trick was going to jump.

[Last edited by michthro at 09-16-2006 10:33 PM]
09-16-2006 at 10:28 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
I'm prepared to call the winners, as I believe it's locked in at this point:

4th place: Ostegolectr1c (dead on turn 374)
3rd place: Chris (dead on turn 374)
2nd place: trick (dead on turn 401)
1st place: michthro (not dead for a long time)

09-17-2006 at 03:02 PM
michthro
Looks to me like:

4th: Chris (372)
3rd: Ostegolectr1c (376)
2nd: trick (401)

I can survive until turn 528. I *could* die before trick if I wanted to (turn 389 the earliest), but I don't. :)

09-17-2006 at 05:14 PM
Chris
I picked a bad weekend to go away, didn't I.

Just got back and it's all over bar the shouting.

Well played all!
09-17-2006 at 07:26 PM
Lardarse
Pretty much. Well done to all that managed to provide such an excellent finish.

Hey, Erik: Did you ever see this going 400 turns when you first came up with the idea?
09-18-2006 at 06:21 AM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
Lardarse wrote:
Pretty much. Well done to all that managed to provide such an excellent finish.

Hey, Erik: Did you ever see this going 400 turns when you first came up with the idea?

Erik said, somewhere right in the middle of this thread somewhere:
ErikH2000 wrote:I have no idea how long the game will take to finish, but if I had to make a prediction, I'd say 4 weeks.
Lets see, 4 weeks at 12 moves a day, is 336 moves. 400 moves would be just under 5 weeks, so its not too bad a guess :)
09-18-2006 at 06:44 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
Erik's end of game prediction

And incidentally, happy birthday!
09-18-2006 at 06:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chris
icon Re: Snakes! ...to the Death (+4)  
I have made a 3 minute video of the whole contest (up to move 392, anyway).

It's available on YouTube for viewing in your web browser here:
  http://youtube.com/dooglus
A bigger (6.7MB), higher resolution version is available for download here:
  http://dooglus.rincevent.net/snakes/video/392.avi
I know we're only on move 376 at the moment, but the next 16 moves are predetermined.

Enjoy!
09-18-2006 at 04:19 PM
Sergenth
Rank Points: 296
Thanks Chris. I remember now when the arena was empty... and it was a completely different place.

09-18-2006 at 06:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jjohn7418
Rank Points: 161
Chris, great job on the video. I wish I had a mod point for you.

09-19-2006 at 05:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
<<27282930
Page 31 of 32
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Snakes! ...to the Death (Our Contest for August.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com