Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Snakes! ...to the Death (Our Contest for August.)
<<21222324
Page 25 of 32
26272829>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
IP: Logged
icon Re: Snakes! ...to the Death (0)  
If Michthro, Tyrion and myself all make certain choices, we can have the first center-area death by turn 183 (and it's not one of the people I just named).

Edit: Typo in turn number originally.

[Last edited by eytanz at 08-31-2006 02:15 PM]
08-31-2006 at 02:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
... and, nope.

08-31-2006 at 04:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
michthro
Level: Smitemaestro
Rank Points: 679
Nope. I have smaller plans.
08-31-2006 at 04:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
techant
Rank Points: 854
Only One More Day
To get your guess in for what day hour or turn the last snake dies on. Hurry over and get your guess in NOW!

http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=11653

[Last edited by techant at 09-01-2006 12:59 AM]
09-01-2006 at 12:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 392
Thanks, Schik. That sure put my mind to rest on that.

09-01-2006 at 03:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jason
Rank Points: 1076

File: Picture 3.png (8.2 KB)
Downloaded 425 times.
License: Public Domain
Poor Darkmatt. :~(

[Last edited by Jason at 09-01-2006 04:49 PM]
09-01-2006 at 04:49 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
Ow. That looks like it hurt his... er... neck?

09-01-2006 at 05:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
I think someone else and timo006 are both doomed. There is no way out of where they are!... That I can see... Can anyone prove me wrong?

09-01-2006 at 07:21 PM
eytanz
No, because you're right.

09-01-2006 at 07:26 PM
Chaco
Ah ha! Mikko bumped, which was what I was hoping he would do.

This allows me to go into the center box and out without heading into the left part of the arena if I choose to do so.

Or, if things get crowded I can change my mind at the last minute and just coil in my little square I set up for myself.

09-02-2006 at 03:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
goldenlion
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 199
Is it wrong to send someone out of the center arena back into the surrounding arenas?

If that's wrong, I don't wanna be right... O:-

09-02-2006 at 05:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Heh. My, that is evil. bflatjeff has absolutely no choice :)

[Last edited by Chaco at 09-02-2006 05:10 AM]
09-02-2006 at 05:09 AM
bflatjeff
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 93
icon Re: Snakes! ...to the Death (+1)  
goldenlion wrote:
Is it wrong to send someone out of the center arena back into the surrounding arenas?

If that's wrong, I don't wanna be right... O:-

D'oh! I was hoping you weren't actually planning that. But of course that's much too much wishful thinking. I wasn't counting ahead enough on my long slog southwards and didn't see you coming. Hence the ill-timed jump.

Watch out, outer dwellers! I'm comin' for ya!

Bflatjeff vows to re-enter the center.

09-02-2006 at 05:20 AM
goldenlion
Haha... I appreciate the good sportsmanship Jeff, and fully encourage you to do the same to anyone you may come across. (Especially me... I deserve it. ;) )

09-02-2006 at 05:22 AM
eytanz
You might well be doing him a favor- you're pushing him into the most open of the outer areas, where there is only one more serpent, and it might end up being the case that it's a lot safer out there than in the middle which has become quite crowded. Or not - it's too early to tell.

09-02-2006 at 05:27 AM
goldenlion
It is pretty early, and yeah, that's a pretty nice area which I would have gone into early game except that I wouldn't have been able to stay there. I think I just enjoy exerting my will on another snake, and I wanted Stephen4Louise to have some company in there...

09-02-2006 at 02:37 PM
bflatjeff
Until Tahnan arrived in the South Central area and we bumped heads, I kinda thought I was heading into Stephen4Louise's area. I guess it was fate that we would end up together somehow.

goldenlion, if I even meet up with you again, I'm gonna... shake your snake until its mane falls off. OK, that made no sense. Seriously, though, nice move "exerting your will". I know I've had little chance to do anything similar, at least that I saw.

Jeff

09-02-2006 at 05:25 PM
bflatjeff
I wonder what effect the (US) Labor Day holiday weekend will have on the game. More unattended serpents going willy-nilly? I'll still be here and playing, I know.

09-02-2006 at 05:27 PM
Stephen4Louise
Rank Points: 548
goldenlion wrote:
It is pretty early, and yeah, that's a pretty nice area which I would have gone into early game except that I wouldn't have been able to stay there. I think I just enjoy exerting my will on another snake, and I wanted Stephen4Louise to have some company in there...

Bah! It looks like the company you sent in is going to be my downfall. I see death approaching fast and there's nothing I can do about it! If I ask nicely will you jump a couple of times and leave me alone bflatjeff?
09-02-2006 at 07:40 PM
techant
Rank Points: 854
Stephen4Louise wrote:
goldenlion wrote:

Bah! It looks like the company you sent in is going to be my downfall. I see death approaching fast and there's nothing I can do about it! If I ask nicely will you jump a couple of times and leave me alone bflatjeff?

What company? :blush Nevermind, I got it! I forgot about the right jump first thing.

[Last edited by techant at 09-02-2006 08:05 PM : answered my own question]
09-02-2006 at 07:49 PM
bflatjeff
Stephen4Louise wrote:
goldenlion wrote:

I just broke out the graph paper to plan my next moves, and then it hit me: I could kill you. I'm still planning. I guess you'll find out in about five hours. Shall I "exert my will" as goldenlion did to me? (in which case, feel free to blame goldenlion for your demise, Stephen4Louise.) -_-

[Last edited by bflatjeff at 09-03-2006 03:02 AM]
09-03-2006 at 02:49 AM
Chris
Rank Points: 144
michthro wrote:
I take it the snakes move in the order they're listed, and not according to their starting positions?

P.S. If so, and if no-one enters any moves, coppro wins.

snakes move in numerical order, lowest number first.

I'm not sure you're right about your "coppro wins" prediction. If nobody enters any moves, it's as if everyone entered 'B' for every move. In that case it looks to me like the last 6 snakes are:
6th place 23: coppro      dies on turn  634
5th place 15: jbluestein  dies on turn  639
4th place 41: Rabscuttle  dies on turn  652
3rd place 25: Timo006     dies on turn  671
2nd place 18: zex20913    dies on turn  910
1st place 40: Kevin       dies on turn 1124

The first 3 snakes to die are:
43rd place 13 - Beef Row  dies on turn 48
42nd place 24 - techant   dies on turn 48
41st place 35 - eytanz    dies on turn 48

09-03-2006 at 11:21 AM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Chris wrote:
I'm not sure you're right about your "coppro wins" prediction. If nobody enters any moves, it's as if everyone entered 'B' for every move. In that case it looks to me like the last 6 snakes are:
Are you telling me that it will take at least 600 turns to finish this game? We're now already at about turn 200. This is going to be a long contest... :D

09-03-2006 at 11:34 AM
Chris
icon Re: Snakes! ...to the Death (+1)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
eytanz wrote:
Well, what I'm curious about is whether there are any snakes that cannot win, no matter what they do. You won't be able to tell impressionistically like you do - it could be that there's a serpent that can reach a lot of strategically good spots, but it so happens that he'll always die later anyway.
I strongly doubt it, but I can't really prove it. (Okay, it's probably possible to prove, but...) I think the possibilities open up too quickly at the beginning of the game, and every player will have at least a theoretical chance to win. Look at it this way: If you played any of the 43 snakes to win, and then purposefully maneuvered the other 42 to early deaths, then you could rig a win. I'm not saying that's a proof, but intuitively (to me anyhow) it seems it would not be hard for each snake to have at least one possible way to win the game.

-Erik
I just ran a bunch of random simulations, and found that it's possible for any snake to win. The only snake who hardly ever wins if you let the snakes move randomly is Banjooie, due to his tricky starting position, but hand-picking his first few moves and leaving the rest to chance found a way a way for him to win too.

I can post pictures of any given snake 'winning' if anyone is interested.
09-03-2006 at 12:21 PM
Chris
Tim wrote:
Chris wrote:
Are you telling me that it will take at least 600 turns to finish this game? We're now already at about turn 200. This is going to be a long contest... :D
No, I'm saying that if nobody had entered any moves at all, since the start of the game, then it would take 910 moves before Kevin was the last surviving snake. Probably because when nobody enters any moves, a bunch of snakes die early on, so the board gets filled up more slowly.

As it is, people have been entering moves, snakes have mostly been surviving longer, and so the game will be shorter.

I estimate that the last-but-one snake will die between moves 350 and 450 - that's between 2 and 3 weeks from now. In other words we're about half-way through. Looking at the board, it does look about half-full.
09-03-2006 at 12:30 PM
michthro
Chris wrote:
I'm not sure you're right about your "coppro wins" prediction.
Me neither. I really wouldn't be surprised if I screwed up somewhere. Could you perhaps post an animation of what happens if no-one enters any moves?

EDIT: Never mind. I did screw up. Now I'm getting the same as you.

[Last edited by michthro at 09-03-2006 03:33 PM]
09-03-2006 at 12:34 PM
Chris
michthro wrote:
Chris wrote:
I'm not sure you're right about your "coppro wins" prediction.
Me neither. I really wouldn't be surprised if I screwed up somewhere. Could you perhaps post an animation of what happens if no-one enters any moves?

EDIT: Never mind. I did screw up. Now I'm getting the same as you.
Oh good. I tried making an animation, but I can't get the software to work properly.

Who wins if everyone jumps whenever they can? And how many turns does it take them to win?
09-03-2006 at 03:53 PM
michthro
Chris wrote:
Who wins if everyone jumps whenever they can? And how many turns does it take them to win?
Looks like bflatjeff on turn 547.
09-03-2006 at 03:59 PM
Chris
Right. That's what I get too. And he stays alive until turn 690, when he runs out of space.
09-03-2006 at 05:16 PM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
What I'd like to know is what's the shortest possible number of moves until someone wins?
09-03-2006 at 10:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
<<21222324
Page 25 of 32
26272829>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Snakes! ...to the Death (Our Contest for August.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com