Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : "Green" snakes (May multiply)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Timo006
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 518
IP: Logged

File: drodscreen.jpg (139.3 KB)
Downloaded 64 times.
License: Public Domain
icon "Green" snakes (0)  
I was thinking about a new sort of snake which is vulnerable in exactly the middle (So you can't make snakes with an even number of squares.)

Example: ------- (snake)
^ (you, sword on the middle of the snake)

= ---/--- (two snakes)
^ (You, sword on the middle of the first snake)
= -/-/--- (last snake is alive but first two snakes are dead because both snakes are 1 square long)

Example two: ----- (snake)
^ (you again)

= --/-- (both snakes die because there is no middle square and they will try to split themselves to an uneven number of squares, they split themselves to one and die)

example three:---------
^

(next is all on one turn)=----/---- = --/--/--/-- (all snakes die for same reason as ex. 2)

Please give your reply.

[Last edited by Timo006 at 08-04-2006 02:44 PM]
08-04-2006 at 11:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Timo006

File: drodscreen.jpg (130.7 KB)
Downloaded 67 times.
icon Re: "Green" snakes (0)  
Image example two

08-04-2006 at 01:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Timo006

File: drodscreen.jpg (131.2 KB)
Downloaded 59 times.
Image example three

08-04-2006 at 01:59 PM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Imagine a horde of these. :-O
08-04-2006 at 02:42 PM
Timo006
Ezlo wrote:
Imagine a horde of these. :-O

It shouldn't be so difficult with snakes with a lenght of x+1
(x=a binary number.) As THEY will immediately die.
(example: A snake ,65 Squares long will immediately die after stabbing it in the middle.)

At least, I think. :closedeyes

[Last edited by Timo006 at 08-04-2006 02:56 PM]
08-04-2006 at 02:55 PM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Maybe to make it a little more useful the new snakes shorten themselves automaticly to make them odd.
08-04-2006 at 03:19 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
I think it would be very irritating to run around the room, all the while trying to figure out where the middle of a 300-length snake is.

Upon going into a dead end, will the snake shorten like a serpent, stop like a rattlesnake, or do something different?

08-04-2006 at 03:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Niccus
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 308
Goodish idea, but a bit restricting on freedom and maybe mechanics...

I think a forced middle is a bit harsh (A 65-length dies in one cut), but cutting anywhere in the middle is too vulnerable... Anyone can think of an intermediate?
08-04-2006 at 04:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jamesdenem
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 203
Maybe a smarter snake that might have the ability to back itself out of dead ends? Though that would make it very hard to trap...

Though you could give it the same weakness as a rattlesnake.

This signature intenionally left blank. Disregard any text you may find here, because it is probably just your imagination, and not a signature in any way. We mean it, don't believe that there is text here.
08-04-2006 at 04:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
icon Re: "Green" snakes (+1)  
I'm unsure how the green snake is different from the garden snake: http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=10310

08-04-2006 at 04:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Timo006
Ezlo wrote:
Maybe to make it a little more useful the new snakes shorten themselves automaticly to make them odd.

That's a very good idea, so a nine-long will split itself in two three-longs, and a 65-long will split itself in two 31 longs.
Gives indeed more freedom in placing snakes. Also, Chaco wrote about the 300-long but as it has an even square number, and is impossible to create. Also, It differs from the garden snake as it will NOT shorten like a snake in dead ends and splits himself as it is stabbed, which can possibly make Time-related rooms. ;)
Also, maybe there has to be put a lenght limit on the snake, so the room isn't going to be full of snakes.

[Last edited by Timo006 at 08-04-2006 05:08 PM]
08-04-2006 at 04:43 PM
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
I love this idea! I love rattlesnakes, and the idea of killing snake with a sword s my favourite. I think it should go like that:
-The middle of it should be marked (for example with a bit red snake's body)
-If the snake is going to be Even, it should shorten itself
-IT traps himself lke rattlesnake

That's the combination I'd love! XD

08-04-2006 at 05:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Garlonuss
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 275
jamesdenem wrote:
Maybe a smarter snake that might have the ability to back itself out of dead ends?
Just to add a different movement dynamic, how about making it so that this snake, when it can't move, switches its head and tail. That would create the backing out that jamesdenem mentions and it would already be understandable the manner in which its movement would run, since we already know the movement pattern of a normal snake moving forward, but not backwards.

Conceptually, I think it would be cool to see a snake 'patrolling' a hallway between two dead ends, though that may not be much in the way of puzzle possibilities.

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Garlonuss at 08-04-2006 05:34 PM]
08-04-2006 at 05:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Timo006
Garlonuss wrote:
Just to add a different movement dynamic, how about making it so that this snake, when it can't move, switches its head and tail.

Very good idea, but maybe there should be an option in the building screen for the snake to activate the options for swapping head and tail. :D

08-04-2006 at 06:01 PM
Niccus
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 308
That'd be hiding information...

I don't think you *need* to switch head and tail. Rattleserpents go just fine with its tail possibly being coiled out of reach. Besides, stabbing the green snake would leave you with another head to dodge.
08-04-2006 at 06:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : "Green" snakes (May multiply)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com