Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : 2.0.15 JtRH patch candidate (Released)
Page 3 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
IP: Logged
icon Re: 2.0.15 patch candidate (rev9) (+1)  
I've made some more fixes and improvements:

* Reduced delay going to and from editor screens.
* Fixed speech memory leak.
* F1-help in main editor screen now works.
* Fixed sword position error highlighting not updating when reflecting a room in the room editor.

These are posted as rev9 on the first post.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 08-29-2006 08:24 PM]
08-29-2006 at 08:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1308
icon Re: 2.0.15 patch candidate (0)  
Let us celebrate the wonder that is vaporware.
09-06-2006 at 03:28 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
What vaporware are you talking of?

09-06-2006 at 03:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
icon Re: 2.0.15 patch candidate (rev10) (0)  
Revision 10 (see first post). I've added
* marking stairs that end the hold to the room editor
* F1 in the main editor screen now goes to help
* the latest version of libcurl.dll (internet interface library)

Since there haven't been any bugs reported in the last revision (except the serpent placement one, which I can't reproduce), this is the release candidate patch for 2.0.15. If nothing else bad is reported, I'll officially release this patch this weekend.

[Last edited by mrimer at 09-07-2006 05:14 AM]
09-07-2006 at 12:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kie
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 221
Umm, Mike, after applying rev 10, DROD crashes on launch with the following error message :
"The ordinal 55 could not be located in the dynamic link library zlib1.dll"

09-07-2006 at 01:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
kie wrote:
Umm, Mike, after applying rev 10, DROD crashes on launch with the following error message :
Wow, that's weird. No idea what that's about. I'll look into it and release rev10a when I've straightened it out.

09-07-2006 at 03:55 AM
mrimer
kie wrote:
Fixed this and posted a new patch. Seems the newer version of the 3rd-party internet library was the culprit. Still no idea why, though. I'm going back to an older version that we know works fine.

09-07-2006 at 05:13 AM
mrimer
2.0.15 (rev11) is up. The following bugs have been fixed:

* Fixed crash when starting a game on stairs that end hold.
* Drod now always quits when confirming the "Really Quit?" dialogue.
* Fixed two songs playing simultaneously. (Gerry and I hope!)

09-28-2006 at 12:04 AM
mrimer
icon Re: 2.0.15 patch candidate (rev12) (0)  
Revision 12 is going up presently.

* Fixed no music bug in rev11.
* Fixed bug: can remove level's main entrance room to another level.

[Last edited by mrimer at 10-12-2006 07:19 PM]
09-29-2006 at 12:36 AM
Pilchard VIII
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 392
You fixed the bug of 2 simultaneous songs, but I think you made another one. Now no songs play at all!

10-01-2006 at 03:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Pilchard VIII wrote:
You fixed the bug of 2 simultaneous songs, but I think you made another one. Now no songs play at all!

Is this revision 11 or 12?

10-01-2006 at 03:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII

10-01-2006 at 03:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Pilchard VIII wrote:
Please download and reinstall the lastest patch. After doing this, do you still have this problem?

10-01-2006 at 07:31 PM
Pilchard VIII
Aw, no! Please forget what I said! It turns out I had rev11! But if it persists, I'll inform you

10-02-2006 at 03:55 PM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
ahhh, what would be the best way to wind back this patch? as this bug has put me off playing DROD, and I really want to get on with playing JTRH.
nevermind, solved the offending problem

[Last edited by NiroZ at 10-03-2006 10:40 AM]
10-03-2006 at 07:33 AM
mrimer
icon 2.0.15 patch candidate (rev 13) (0)  
2.0.15 rev 13 is up, with these changes:

* Enlarged the Change Location dialog.
* Fixed two songs playing simultaneously (finally!)
* Fixed conquer demo error when saved in empty rooms.
* Mac port fixes (shouldn't affect anything on Windows, but let me know if anything looks weird now).

[Last edited by mrimer at 01-09-2007 10:24 PM]
10-12-2006 at 07:20 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: 2.0.15 patch candidate (rev 13) (+1)  
mrimer wrote:
I've just re-imported a player export I made, and at one time checking the save game integrity [edit]of a single hold[/edit] took almost an hour, even though I think I have a rather beefy machine - the progress bar crawled across the bottom at a snail's pace. ([edit]Yeah, I re-activated integrity checking saves on import, so it probably checked everything since I had it deactivated when I rebuilt my player the last time - that's nothing I have problems with, just with the time it took for a single hold... :)[/edit])

Could you perhaps add the name of the hold to the "Checking <so and so>" status messages while im-/exporting? At least then I would know what's taking so long.

(Maybe it's Bavato's Dungeon or JtRH, as the interface also pauses on those two when checking the completeness percentage in the "Change Location" dialog - the game just freezes for 5-10 seconds there... :()

Alternatively, could you perhaps put up the source for Rev13 so I could try finding out what's taking this long myself?

On the other hand, if you want my DAT files to try it for yourself - just give me a holler.

EDIT: It's been running for almost 3 hours now, clogging up 100% of one CPU core (yay for dual-core) and still isn't finished... :~(

All I did was export my player (which only took a matter of minutes), then delete and redownload "Ssslitherin Expert" and re-import my player file to hopefully get my highscores from the beta to re-upload.

Shouldn't it simply skip checking demos that already are in the database? Also, could we perhaps have an option to not im-/export demos from other players? That'd cut down the number of demos where 99% of those were downloaded from CaravelNet anyway and thus stay more or less accessible. (Then again, what takes so long is checking the save games - those are just your own, obviously...)

And as an aside - you mentioned the game saves the database every 5 minutes; could that cause the huge pauses (somewhere from 20-60 seconds) I sometimes encounter when leaving a room without conquering it, for instance to re-enter it with my sword pointed differently?

And, while I'm at it - how about splitting the progress datafiles up on a per-hold basis for future incarnations of the engine? Much less data to operate on at the same time, and the only time you need info from more than one hold is probably the Change Location screen...

EDIT: A whopping 3:45 hours later it's finished...

And, errr... my drod2_0.dat has ballooned from 109.227kB to 182.757kB... :huh

Don't tell me there's stuff duplicated several times in that file now... :~(

Final (hopefully) EDIT: At least it seems as if those long pauses when changing rooms or going back to the menu or the restore screen seem to be gone now. I wonder what caused those? Maybe the game's internal tubes got clogged by my old data files? ;)

np: Triosk - Lazyboat (The Headlight Serenade)

[Last edited by Briareos at 10-16-2006 07:56 AM]
10-15-2006 at 11:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
icon Re: 2.0.15 patch candidate (rev10) (0)  
mrimer wrote:
Revision 10 (see first post). I've added
* marking stairs that end the hold to the room editor

i.e. they show up as orange when you choose "show errors"? (Not entirely intuitive; but I suppose it'll be documented soon.)
10-20-2006 at 09:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
icon Re: 2.0.15 patch candidate (rev 13) (0)  
Briareos wrote:
mrimer wrote:
I've just re-imported a player export I made, and at one time checking the save game integrity [edit]of a single hold[/edit] took almost an hour, even though I think I have a rather beefy machine - the progress bar crawled across the bottom at a snail's pace. ([edit]Yeah, I re-activated integrity checking saves on import, so it probably checked everything since I had it deactivated when I rebuilt my player the last time - that's nothing I have problems with, just with the time it took for a single hold... :)[/edit])

Could you perhaps add the name of the hold to the "Checking <so and so>" status messages while im-/exporting? At least then I would know what's taking so long.

(Maybe it's Bavato's Dungeon or JtRH, as the interface also pauses on those two when checking the completeness percentage in the "Change Location" dialog - the game just freezes for 5-10 seconds there... :()

Alternatively, could you perhaps put up the source for Rev13 so I could try finding out what's taking this long myself?

On the other hand, if you want my DAT files to try it for yourself - just give me a holler.

EDIT: It's been running for almost 3 hours now, clogging up 100% of one CPU core (yay for dual-core) and still isn't finished... :~(

All I did was export my player (which only took a matter of minutes), then delete and redownload "Ssslitherin Expert" and re-import my player file to hopefully get my highscores from the beta to re-upload.

Shouldn't it simply skip checking demos that already are in the database? Also, could we perhaps have an option to not im-/export demos from other players? That'd cut down the number of demos where 99% of those were downloaded from CaravelNet anyway and thus stay more or less accessible. (Then again, what takes so long is checking the save games - those are just your own, obviously...)

And as an aside - you mentioned the game saves the database every 5 minutes; could that cause the huge pauses (somewhere from 20-60 seconds) I sometimes encounter when leaving a room without conquering it, for instance to re-enter it with my sword pointed differently?

And, while I'm at it - how about splitting the progress datafiles up on a per-hold basis for future incarnations of the engine? Much less data to operate on at the same time, and the only time you need info from more than one hold is probably the Change Location screen...

EDIT: A whopping 3:45 hours later it's finished...

And, errr... my drod2_0.dat has ballooned from 109.227kB to 182.757kB... :huh

Don't tell me there's stuff duplicated several times in that file now... :~(

Final (hopefully) EDIT: At least it seems as if those long pauses when changing rooms or going back to the menu or the restore screen seem to be gone now. I wonder what caused those? Maybe the game's internal tubes got clogged by my old data files? ;)

np: Triosk - Lazyboat (The Headlight Serenade)

I had problems similar to this. I know mike rewrote some of the code as a result to attempt to fix datafiles that were semi-corrupt (useable, but the actual data was improperly stored). It's possible that it was fixing these errors, because I know that I had to export, reinstall, import, export again, and import once more to fix it.

10-20-2006 at 09:32 PM
coppro
mrimer wrote:
* Fixed game display issues: incorrect persistence of user-clicked tile highlighting, burning fuse non-display, shadow of a wall under an obstacle can be cast onto the obstacle, missing error highlight.

When you say this is fixed, do you mean it can now be cast on, or cannot. Because in the latest revision, it is cast.
11-08-2006 at 03:48 AM
Stephen4Louise
Rank Points: 548
I think there is a bug with rooms containing stairs in this latest patch. Details here.

In brief, rooms with stairs are not included in explorered % for the level if you only visit the room once.

Steve.
12-04-2006 at 08:39 AM
mrimer
icon 2.0.15 patch candidate, rev14 (0)  
2.0.15 Revision 14 is up!

Many improvements here:

+ CaravelNet: Now player may view room conquer demos if they are flagged as having conquered the room on the server.
+ Added command line API for text localization (-exportTexts and -importTexts).
+ F7 displays move counter display in-game. Alt-F7 toggles framerate and sound memory usage display.
* Evil eye: now can spot decoys when player is invisible and outside smell range.
* Editor: couldn't start playtest on a level entrance w/ arrow or potion. Now can start playtest w/ sword on monster. Serpent editing got stuck after tooltip popped up.
* Settings Screen: Keyboard UI now works on the check boxes.
* Demos Screen: Wrong (previous) CaravelNet demos list sometimes showed up.
* Demo Screen: Pressing F7 to show move count doesn't display move count immediately.
* Some demos were considered corrupt (related to 2.0.15's new method of not immediately marking the current room explored on entrance).

Thing to keep an eye out for: are demos being labelled corrupt that didn't used to be or shouldn't be.

[Last edited by mrimer at 02-05-2007 05:45 PM]
01-09-2007 at 10:27 PM
coppro
Is it intended behavior that when brained, if a roach can't move, it turns toward you instead of toward the direction it wants to go?

Oh, and Linux build plx.
01-09-2007 at 11:56 PM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
icon Re: 2.0.15 patch candidate (+1)  
Yes. If a roach can't move to a square that the brain says is closer, then it acts like an unbrained roach.
01-10-2007 at 12:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
icon Re: 2.0.15 JtRH patch candidate (0)  
2.0.15 revision 15 fixes:
+ Now duplicate NPC script label texts are not allowed.
* Fixed bug: when making a copy of a hold, copied speech voice data wasn't being correctly owned by the new hold. (I think this latent bug was exposed with code changes in revision 13 or 14.)
* Fixed bug: Stopped a way to disconnect a serpent's body from its tail in the room editor.
* CaravelNet: Fixed bug - room conquer demos for CaravelNet beta holds are erroneously being marked as sent before the hold is published (this was a server-side fix, so isn't related to build version)

With the broken-serpent-editing fix (you might verify that this is indeed fixed), I think there are no open bug reports. If nothing new is reported, we'll probably release this baby publicly next weekend.

02-05-2007 at 05:45 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
mrimer wrote:
we'll probably release this baby publicly next weekend.
Well, it only took about 6 1/2 months instead of the usual 9 then, but that's prolly nothing that a bit of intensive caretesting after release can't fix... :lol

np: Death Cab For Cutie - Line Of Best Fit (You Can Play These Songs With Chords)

02-05-2007 at 07:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Briareos wrote:
mrimer wrote:
we'll probably release this baby publicly next weekend.
Well, it only took about 6 1/2 months instead of the usual 9 then, but that's prolly nothing that a bit of intensive caretesting after release can't fix... :lol
Yeah, yeah. You joker, you. :) I'm glad people are testing this RC out. It's been helpful to have people report all these bugs. It has the additional benefit of making the TCB release that much more solid.

02-05-2007 at 08:03 PM
mrimer
icon 2.0.15 JtRH patch is released (0)  
2.0.15 has now been officially released, so I'm going to unsticky this thread and remove the patch installer attachment from the first post. Thank you, everyone, who has contributed to making 2.0.15 a great improvement over the last version update. I think this incremental feedback process for iteratively improving a patch candidate was ultimately very helpful.

I've uploaded the current 2.0.15 source code to its page, so users like coppro and Briareos who are interested in tuning the code for increased performance are welcome to take a shot at it.

02-19-2007 at 02:10 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
So, this is probably going to be the last patch for JtRH, barring some sort of catastrophic, reproducable bug?

In which case, I'm glad, since it'll let the development team focus on finishing up TCB, which will open a new source of revenue, and not on improving an existing product, which, well, doesn't.

02-19-2007 at 02:54 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Chaco wrote:
In which case, I'm glad, since it'll let the development team focus on finishing up TCB, which will open a new source of revenue, and not on improving an existing product, which, well, doesn't.
Depends on whether JtRH will be let out to the pasture of abandonware, freeware or shareware.

[Last edited by NiroZ at 02-19-2007 05:31 AM]
02-19-2007 at 04:00 AM
Page 3 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : 2.0.15 JtRH patch candidate (Released)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com