Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Non-Puzzle Widgets (Because we loves us some harmless fun)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Banjooie
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1645
IP: Logged
icon Non-Puzzle Widgets (+4)  
I like the idea of, like. Little gizmos and gadgets that don't add much to the room in terms of puzzle use, but are nifty just because they are.

For instance: We all remember what it's like to hallucinate in Nethack. If you don't, why the hell haven't you played Nethack more than ten minutes? GO! GO! THE FATE OF THE WORLD DEPENDS ON IT!

For the rest of you: Tell me it would not be entertaining to have these potions. Would they actually affect monster movement or Beethro's movement? Hell no. It would just be a visual effect, and you could cycle through a bunch of monsters and NPCs.

Yes, this could be put to terrible use. But in general, the idea of little gadgets that are just /interesting to look at/ instead of puzzle-related intrigue me.

Like, I don't know. It'd be along the line of obstacles, except mildly and harmlessly interactive. Cobwebs you stumble through. Beethro would grunt, make the angry noise, and they'd clear. No puzzle effect.

So, to summarize...things to produce, I dunno, ambience? Would be kind of cool.
07-15-2006 at 11:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
icon Re: Non-Puzzle Widgets (0)  
But what if you put cobwebs in a stuttered pattern around a tar clump like in this room? Then it'd make babies like crazy and you'd need to waste a move to remove them!

07-16-2006 at 12:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
icon Re: Non-Puzzle Widgets (+2)  
That's why they're there for ambience. They don't effect puzzles at all--tar would grow over it.

I think the suggestion is just to give more of a "dungeony" feel to the game--Things that haven't been explored are dusty, cobwebby, etc.

07-16-2006 at 01:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
Banjooie wrote:
Like, I don't know. It'd be along the line of obstacles, except mildly and harmlessly interactive. Cobwebs you stumble through. Beethro would grunt, make the angry noise, and they'd clear. No puzzle effect.

And about halfway through a room full of them he starts mumbling "The Itsy Bitsy (Grebbing) Spider" under his breath , cursing and slashing around with his sword

07-16-2006 at 05:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Niccus
Rank Points: 308
Character tiles and multiple custom floor images, mayhaps?

Hardcoding a particular interactable tile would probably be too limited and mostly be scoffed aside by architects...
07-16-2006 at 09:40 PM
Beef Row
Rank Points: 471
Niccus wrote:
Character tiles and multiple custom floor images, mayhaps?

Hardcoding a particular interactable tile would probably be too limited and mostly be scoffed aside by architects...

The suggestions I saw here wouldn't be served just by custom floors, this would require either a new 'scenery' layer (to prevent it from having any actual game effect), or a new type of custom floor that has changable appearance and sound effects associated with each look.

Either way, probably quite a lot of effort, although some common atmospherics might be worthwhile. But do we really want to KNOW Beethro is wading ankle deep through wraithwing guano whenever he walks near a pit?

07-17-2006 at 02:37 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I always wanted torches in a DROD room.

07-17-2006 at 10:22 AM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
icon Re: Non-Puzzle Widgets (+1)  
Wouldn't they ignite the wraithwing guano?

07-17-2006 at 12:31 PM
Banjooie
Alright, I want a wraithwing guano feature request thread on my desk by tomorrow, mister.
07-17-2006 at 06:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
And then you could make leaf juice cups out of it!

07-17-2006 at 07:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
I always wanted to have some little tiny spiders walking randomly on the floor which can be stomped on, and some spiders walking on the walls which can be cut by the sword :). I love such details ;)

07-23-2006 at 05:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Chaco wrote:
Someone's been playing wayyyyy too much Kingdom of Loathing.
Of course, what does that say about me, who recognized the joke?

07-24-2006 at 03:52 AM
AtkinsSJ
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 107
Jatopian wrote:
Chaco wrote:
Someone's been playing wayyyyy too much Kingdom of Loathing.
Of course, what does that say about me, who recognized the joke?
I recognised it too. Feel relieved that you have more of a life than some 15-year-old male Brit!
07-30-2006 at 08:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
I know what the cups in that game are /for/.

How sad is that.
07-31-2006 at 03:28 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Non-Puzzle Widgets (Because we loves us some harmless fun)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com