Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Lone Soldier (Expert horde problems.)
Page 3 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

8.1/10 (24 votes)
σ 1.75
Author Name:LarryMurk
Submitted By:larrymurk
Hold Name:Lone Soldier
Theme:Expert horde problems.
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:2
Number of Rooms:20
Number of Monsters:233
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:3 (+6 / -3)
Poster Message
larrymurk
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1911
IP: Logged
icon Re: Lone Soldier (+4)  
Why was Larry so stupid and inconsiderate?

Negatives of modifying a hold on the holds board?
1. People lose their high scores for that room.
2. When people upload the new version after having already played some it can be confusing how to restore properly.
3. In some holds it might have other effects (master doors, who knows).

Reason I updated this room.
1. The original version didn't fit in with the hold. I believe the new version works very well with the hold.

So, do you really want to hear about the whole story behind this hold and any edits that dullard Larry made to it?
A long time ago Larry started coming up with a lot of horde management rooms that seemed pretty doggone tough. He thought, "Wow, these are tough and I'm not sure many people will necessarily enjoy them." Yes, I remember him thinking that. He also thought, "A lot of people have been doing a lot of testing on a lot of holds I've been making. Wouldn't it be nice if everyone could play a new surprise hold w/o having to test it first?" For shame, surely Larry wouldn't be so stupid as to put out an untested hold? But there's more. Then Larry decided to tell everyone that he wasn't going to even give any hints for a while since the hold was named Lone Soldier and he had some idea in his head that maybe it would make people get into the spirit of the hold or something.

So what happened? Of course Larry screwed up. He completely messed up the final battle so he almost immediately had to update his hold. Nice going Larry! Don't say so.. Yes, there's another room that really sticks out like a sore thumb. That 2N1W might be a perfectly good room if this were the Lone Soldier Novice version, but it isn't the novice version. What the heck was Larry thinking? All it needs is a little tweak (remove every other tar mother) and it would've been great. Larry's not going to annoy people by updating the hold a second time, is he? No, even Larry isn't that mean/stupid. So Larry keeps this room and keeps saying, "No, this room just doesn't quite fit into this new hold I'm making."

Finally Larry gets to thinking, "I know where this room belongs, it belongs in Lone Soldier." Could Larry really be considering updating the hold now after so many people have toiled over it? Larry pondered.. Hmmm, anyone who completed a majority of Lone Soldier should understand that this room was a mistake. This room was very easy in relation to the others so they probably didn't spend too much time on it. What about those high scores? Yeah, Larry did shoot off a PM to the person with the top score to see if one Mr. Mike Budkin (michthro) would be terribly upset with these radical plans to update this room. He said it was fine and actually agreed with this Larry's insane vision that it was more important to have a quality hold than retain his #1 score on a loser of a room anyway. So the idiot Larry goes off and changes the hold without asking everyone on the DROD forum's opinion.

So, I reitterate.

I did not update this room just because I could make it harder. I replaced it because I thought the original room didn't fit at all and this does.

Also, I did appologize for the inconvenience in the post where I announced the update.
10-03-2006 at 01:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
icon Re: Lone Soldier (+1)  
I think as long as your motive is to create the best dang hold possible, people can address their complaints to the brick wall over there.

what bugs me is when people update their holds semi-randomly and/or don't even try to fix problems but just blank the rooms out or something.

so, good job, Larry. you're doing fine.

[Last edited by silver at 10-03-2006 04:44 AM]
10-03-2006 at 04:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
So, uh, how is Lone Soldier Novice coming? ;)

[/kidding]

I don't think I've beaten any rooms since my last update, but I guess I'll need to try the new 2N1W.

10-03-2006 at 11:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Andy101
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 222
I've finally got round to finishing off this hold, so here are some thoughts.

This wasn't an easy hold but in comparison to Perfection I'd say it's a good two brains less difficult. There was a good variety of rooms on the first level, to make 11 horde management rooms with such little repetition is quite some achievement.

However I felt that the last room (I played the latest version) lets the hold down. I went down the stairs wondering what fiendishly difficult room would be my reward for completing the first level to find what was essentially a copy of one of the rooms above. It was simply a case of using the same tactic as the previous room but with a slight variation.

Despite this the first level on it's own is a masterpiece so I'm going to give this hold a score of 9.

10-07-2006 at 09:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Odyssey
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 124
This is another awesome LarryMurk hold. I had a go at this hold a while back, and couldn't conquer some rooms... but I've had a go again at mastering it. So far, conquered 4 rooms on my break, and they've all been pretty enjoyable so far. A couple were strangely easy, but some of them are a little tricky. However, choosing the right tactic is key, and patience and planning will get you far.

9 brains and 10 for fun.

10-09-2009 at 06:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ivcha Pivcha
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 80
PREPARE FOR GLORY!

Your objective is to escape from the prison and eliminate enormous boss-General Mud!

If you ask me how easy that is… I will tell you the truth… many tried but only few succeed.

You’ll be awarded with Medal of Honor in virtuality, but in reality your award will be nothing more than a good shot of adrenaline.

So… soldier, if you believe that Spartan blood runs through your veins, why not give this one a shot?

Remember this and remember this well: mindless hack & slash will not secure you a victory.

I encourage you to watch a movie while playing – 300.

Spartan King Leonidas: We Spartans have descended from Hercules himself. Taught never to retreat, never to surrender. Taught that death in the battlefield is the greatest glory he could achieve in his life.
Spartans: the finest soldiers the world has ever known. :medieval

Never read books you aren't sure about . . . even supposing that these bad books are very well written from a literary point of view. Let me ask you this: Would you drink something you knew was poisoned just because it was offered to you in a golden cup? ~ St. John Bosco
12-10-2010 at 03:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Page 3 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Lone Soldier (Expert horde problems.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com